How to get a job at southern california edison.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

Do you work at southern california edison? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Ryansmith933 in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Hopeful in LA in Los Angeles, California said: Hello,
I interviewed there a few weeks ago, thought I did well, but now all HR says is that "no decision" has been made. What is the typical timeline to getting a job at Edison? Any advice?

I have a interview scheduled for a groundman position this friday 6-20-08. Any advice on questions asked?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Monrovia, California

70 months ago

Hopeful in LA in Los Angeles, California said: Hello,
I interviewed there a few weeks ago, thought I did well, but now all HR says is that "no decision" has been made. What is the typical timeline to getting a job at Edison? Any advice?

I applied for at least 2 jobs with Edison, and I used to work for a major world-wide well known telephone company for over 25 years, and I have the kind of experience Edison should be looking for as a Service Rep, but they have not contacted me at all. Interesting, I look at it this way, it is their loss, not mine. Makes you wonder what are they looking for these days? Good luck to you all. Don't give up, you know what you are worth, and make sure you sell yourself and walk in with your head up high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RandallBales in Barstow, California

65 months ago

Ryan, Did you get the job ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RandallBales in Barstow, California

65 months ago

Is it possible to qualify for the SCE Electrical Ground Worker position with out the apprentice certificate ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

maserati in Irvine, California

64 months ago

Typically takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks to make a decision. Edison is a HUGE company, lots of people and processes to go through. HELPS tremendously if you know someone with some pull INSIDE the company already. Good luck everybody!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gerry Ansel in Fullerton, California

39 months ago

@maserati - Actually, as a former employee, I can tell you that SCE's application process is relatively shorter than most companies of its size. Mine lasted a little less than four weeks, from the initial call to when I received the offer.

To everyone else - here's a tip. The company is below quota on its "diversity" hires. If you are in a protected class, you stand a much better chance of being chosen to move forward. (But you didn't hear it from me ... )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dee

13 months ago

Gerry Ansel in Fullerton, California said: @maserati - Actually, as a former employee, I can tell you that SCE's application process is relatively shorter than most companies of its size. Mine lasted a little less than four weeks, from the initial call to when I received the offer.

To everyone else - here's a tip. The company is below quota on its "diversity" hires. If you are in a protected class, you stand a much better chance of being chosen to move forward. (But you didn't hear it from me ... )

What do u mean by "protected class"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Dee said: What do u mean by "protected class"?

Veteran, Native American or your name is Shaniqua are protected classes.

Next time you will out an online app you will see a bit about Diversity near the end. Those are "protected classes".

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

13 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Veteran, Native American or your name is Shaniqua are protected classes.

Next time you will out an online app you will see a bit about Diversity near the end. Those are "protected classes".

Can they figure out if you lie or not? What happens if I say I'm Pacific Samoan or Spanish. (of course if asked if I am bilingual I would have to say I don't habla)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Can they figure out if you lie or not? What happens if I say I'm Pacific Samoan or Spanish. (of course if asked if I am bilingual I would have to say I don't habla)

Actually they can't.

We did a front end application for a hospital once which is like an online app. One of the questions was religion. This was for chaplaincy work.

You couldn't convince anyone of this. 95% of the people answered Christian, even if they were Jews, Muslins, Buddhists or Atheists. That is the right answer. Not the truth but the right answer.

The other 5% answered: Jedi Knight or Cocker Spaniel.

Gerry Ansel in Fullerton, California

13 months ago

So Bluetea, are you saying employers have no way of validating an applicant's race or religion?

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Gerry Ansel in Fullerton, California said: So Bluetea, are you saying employers have no way of validating an applicant's race or religion?

What I am saying is that if you are going to be excluded from the hiring process, you want that to happen at the interview. You don't want a machine making that decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Actually they can't.

We did a front end application for a hospital once which is like an online app. One of the questions was religion. This was for chaplaincy work.

You couldn't convince anyone of this. 95% of the people answered Christian, even if they were Jews, Muslins, Buddhists or Atheists. That is the right answer. Not the truth but the right answer.

The other 5% answered: Jedi Knight or Cocker Spaniel.

So if my real name is John. Maybe on my resume I should put Juan and check the box for Spanish.

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: So if my real name is John. Maybe on my resume I should put Juan and check the box for Spanish.

Its been done many times. My real name is Mildred but I put down Shaniqua. I get a lot more calls that way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Its been done many times. My real name is Mildred but I put down Shaniqua. I get a lot more calls that way.

I believe on applications it says do you go by any nicknames....I'll start putting John down with Juan Gagill at the top where it says your full name.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KBBK in Los Angeles, California

6 days ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Veteran, Native American or your name is Shaniqua are protected classes.

Shaniqua really....you could of just said Black or African American.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.