Questions on How to get on with SWA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Kristina Mars in Littleton, Colorado

46 months ago

Hello to everyone!

I just applied for 2 jobs with SWA a week ago. One was a Ramp Agent and the other was a Operations Agent in Denver, Colorado. I have not heard anything. I went to check the job status, and it said closed and the jobs are no longer posted. What does this mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SW Ramper in Cary, North Carolina

46 months ago

Southwest will call you for a phone interview on average 2-3 weeks after applying. Job status closed means no more applicants can apply for that position, southwest will close it fast usually a few hours out because so many people apply for the position. It took me 7 weeks from applying to starting my first day. Its well worth it. Its such an amazing company to work it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina Mars in Aurora, Colorado

46 months ago

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I will wait for the call. In the mean time can you help me with the questions they ask in the interview, and what answers they might be looking for? Do you have a list of the 70 city codes I can print so that I can study ahead of time? Thank you for all your help!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

46 months ago

Kristina Mars in Aurora, Colorado said: Thank you so much for getting back to me. I will wait for the call. In the mean time can you help me with the questions they ask in the interview, and what answers they might be looking for? Do you have a list of the 70 city codes I can print so that I can study ahead of time? Thank you for all your help!!!!!

Kristina,

First of all, dont worry about the city codes right now because they wont ask any questions about city codes. It's actually pretty challenging to get in with SWA, you'll have hundreds of people apply for them to hire only 20. You'll get a call first which will be a phone interview, they will ask you basic questions like your work history, why you want to get on with SW, etc.etc.etc...I applied for a ramp with position here in Orlando with SWA and I got a call the same week I applied. After your phone interview, if you move forward they will call you back to set up a face to face interview, if not you will probably get a rejection email. In your face to face, they will again ask you basic questions but they will go over your resume/work history. They will ask you what you did in each job and why you left. Here is where they will cut the majority of the people. Again if you move on, they will call you, if not you will get an email. If you move on, the next step will be drug test and background check. Basically if you pass both, you are in. Keep in mind that the background test is performed by a third party company the will basically verify your employment and school history that you put down on your application. That was the process I went through. From the time I applied online till the time I was told that I passed the background check, it was about 1 month exactly, which is actually pretty fast. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina Mars in Littleton, Colorado

46 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: Kristina,

First of all, dont worry about the city codes right now because they wont ask any questions about city codes. It's actually pretty challenging to get in with SWA, you'll have hundreds of people apply for them to hire only 20. You'll get a call first which will be a phone interview, they will ask you basic questions like your work history, why you want to get on with SW, etc.etc.etc...I applied for a ramp with position here in Orlando with SWA and I got a call the same week I applied. After your phone interview, if you move forward they will call you back to set up a face to face interview, if not you will probably get a rejection email. In your face to face, they will again ask you basic questions but they will go over your resume/work history. They will ask you what you did in each job and why you left. Here is where they will cut the majority of the people. Again if you move on, they will call you, if not you will get an email. If you move on, the next step will be drug test and background check. Basically if you pass both, you are in. Keep in mind that the background test is performed by a third party company the will basically verify your employment and school history that you put down on your application. That was the process I went through. From the time I applied online till the time I was told that I passed the background check, it was about 1 month exactly, which is actually pretty fast. Good luck!

I have a F2F Tuesday:) I wanted to ask you if you can help me with the testing you do in Dallas? Is it open book? Do you have the materials you could e-mail me. I really want to get a jump on things. Thank you for all your help, you have been great!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Kristina Mars in Littleton, Colorado said: I have a F2F Tuesday:) I wanted to ask you if you can help me with the testing you do in Dallas? Is it open book? Do you have the materials you could e-mail me. I really want to get a jump on things. Thank you for all your help, you have been great!!

Kristina,

I havent taken the test yet myself. I start in 2 weeks. From what I hear,the first two weeks will be at your station doing paper work,and familiarizing with the ramp and job duties, hands on..etc etc.. third week you go to Dallas for more learning as well as taking tests that you have to pass with at least an 80%. HOWEVER, if i were you i would not worry about it because it's easy, working ramp is not rocket science, and second you need to be more focused on doing well on your f2f because thats where most people get dropped in the hiring process. Dress to impress, answer questions truthfully and if they like your answers and personality, they will call you. They ask basic questions about you and they will go over your work history and ask why you left each job. If you pass the f2f, you will then do a drug test, and the bg company will start on your employment history check. Mine took about a week and a half and I had a simple employment history. I warn you if they cant get in contact with your current or previous employers, they will ask for quarterly paystubs from the time you started till the time you finished. Pain in the ying yang if you ask me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

strait in East Windsor, Connecticut

41 months ago

Can anyone tell me from Southwest Airlines if you think there will be more hiring of customer service agents in Hartford with the merge with Air Tran? Also, I take it that you can only apply when a position becomes available and not before hand and have everything filled out online. Thank you for anyone's reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

strait in East Windsor, Connecticut said: Can anyone tell me from Southwest Airlines if you think there will be more hiring of customer service agents in Hartford with the merge with Air Tran? Also, I take it that you can only apply when a position becomes available and not before hand and have everything filled out online. Thank you for anyone's reply!

Yes, you can only apply when job is posted. Dont know about BDL, its not really a big station so i wouldnt see too much hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: Yes, you can only apply when job is posted. Dont know about BDL, its not really a big station so i wouldnt see too much hiring.

Are customer service agent positions (inside) hard to come by? I do not see that many posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

strait in East Windsor, Connecticut said: Are customer service agent positions (inside) hard to come by? I do not see that many posted.

yes i would say so....my advice is to just get in the company as a ramp agent and then you can apply for internal transfer to customer service after 6 months...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: yes i would say so....my advice is to just get in the company as a ramp agent and then you can apply for internal transfer to customer service after 6 months...

Thanks ramper in Orlando. I am a female in my 60's and would rather work inside. To cold here in the northeast for the ramp anyway .. ha ha!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CToy in Boston, Massachusetts

23 months ago

SW Ramper in Cary, North Carolina said: Southwest will call you for a phone interview on average 2-3 weeks after applying. Job status closed means no more applicants can apply for that position, southwest will close it fast usually a few hours out because so many people apply for the position. It took me 7 weeks from applying to starting my first day. Its well worth it. Its such an amazing company to work it.

Would I be notified if the position is taken? I got a call from a recruiter by I was out of town, I explained and he said hr will give me a call the following week which was this past Friday, I waited and no call, so I decided to call and leave a message. He hasn't returned my call either. What do I do? Should I just wait or should I try calling again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

yamahaguy in San Diego, California

1 day ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: Kristina,

I havent taken the test yet myself. I start in 2 weeks. From what I hear,the first two weeks will be at your station doing paper work,and familiarizing with the ramp and job duties, hands on..etc etc.. third week you go to Dallas for more learning as well as taking tests that you have to pass with at least an 80%. HOWEVER, if i were you i would not worry about it because it's easy, working ramp is not rocket science, and second you need to be more focused on doing well on your f2f because thats where most people get dropped in the hiring process. Dress to impress, answer questions truthfully and if they like your answers and personality, they will call you. They ask basic questions about you and they will go over your work history and ask why you left each job. If you pass the f2f, you will then do a drug test, and the bg company will start on your employment history check. Mine took about a week and a half and I had a simple employment history. I warn you if they cant get in contact with your current or previous employers, they will ask for quarterly paystubs from the time you started till the time you finished. Pain in the ying yang if you ask me.

I did my f2f last Wednesday and finger prints but not a drug test i kniw u will pass on both but they said they will get back to me at the end of this week at the latest so do you think i will then do a drug test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

yamahaguy in San Diego, California

1 day ago

yamahaguy in San Diego, California said: I did my f2f last Wednesday and finger prints but not a drug test i kniw u will pass on both but they said they will get back to me at the end of this week at the latest so do you think i will then do a drug test

I know i will pass ha ha sorry about that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.