Southwest / AirTran Integration Questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 83)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

John in Chicago, Illinois

40 months ago

I figured it might not be a bad idea to start a thread dedicated to the AirTran integration and what it means for both incumbent and prospective employees of both airlines. Post anything regarding this subject here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

imflyinhigh in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

40 months ago

Nicholas Saaduliev in Orlando, Florida said: I will be on the edge of my seat waiting to see how this one unfolds. I really don't think Southwest has any idea what they've got themselves into. I used to work at AirTran at MCO and the two companies are NOTHING alike. I'm at Southwest now, and I can't help but laugh every time I hear one of our executives praise AirTran for having the same commitment to customer service and the same fun luving culture that we have at Southwest. It's a total crock. I don't think the people at AirTran even know what it is to work for a respectable company. I fear that most of them will come in with their hardened attitudes that they've formed from being treated like absolute crap for so many years. I disagree with the plan to hire on all of their employees sight unseen. Some of them REALLY have no business working at Southwest, and many (especially in cities where both airlines fly) have already been rejected by Southwest and had to settle for working at AirTran. Why now are they Southwest material? It sort of undermines the tight hiring process that Southwest has conducted for so many years that now they're just going to let 8,000 unscreened crap-o airline employee pour into our ranks, and we're supposed to be excited about it.

Well, well, well, so are you suggesting that all Air Trans employees go thru the same screening process as all new hires of Southwest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nicholas Saaduliev in Orlando, Florida

40 months ago

imflyinhigh in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Well, well, well, so are you suggesting that all Air Trans employees go thru the same screening process as all new hires of Southwest?

In a perfect world yes, but I understand the constraints of having to interview that many people in such a short period of time. I would simply like to see SOME measure of screening take place, because the way it sounds they're just being brought right over sight unseen.

I'm also hearing grumblings through the grape vine that they're getting ready to claim that they want to be able to bring their AirTran seniority over to Southwest. Already they're laying the ground work for making trouble, which is just about typical for what I know about this group. There is no way in god's green earth that they should be bringing over seniority, and the mere insinuation is just an absolute embarrassment on their part. I guess it's not enough to fall a** backwards into much better job at a much better company and be given massive pay raises across the board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I know that they're pushing for full seniority, but I'm almost certain that's not going to happen. They recently certified the IAM as their collective bargaining agent, and as much of a union guy that I am, I think it was a big mistake on their part. The IAM has a tendency to be somewhat of a predatory union, and knowing that the airline is being absorbed by another airline already under a CBA by the TWU the only thing that was achieved was that they fired a shot across the bow of Southwest's management and that they're now on the hook to pay dues for the remaining time that AirTran flies on their own certificate. It takes years to draw up a contract, and nobody at AirTran is going to live to see the day that contract is written. It was an inexperienced move by an inexperienced work group, and the IAM was all to happy to oblige. This talk of full seniority integration was a mere propaganda tool that the IAM used to sway votes in their favor. They know it's not realistic. The TWU (which currently represents Southwest's equivalent work groups) would never agree to it, and if taken to arbitration there's no way an arbitrator is going to see full seniority as a "fair and equitable" solution when the AirTran side stands everything to gain and the Southwest side stands nothing to gain. In short, I wouldn't sweat it. I do think they will likely receive some percentage of their existing seniority. Something like 25-30%. And only because of McCaskill Bond. 10 years ago, seniority would not even be a conversation to be had.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: I know that they're pushing for full seniority, but I'm almost certain that's not going to happen. They recently certified the IAM as their collective bargaining agent, and as much of a union guy that I am, I think it was a big mistake on their part. The IAM has a tendency to be somewhat of a predatory union, and knowing that the airline is being absorbed by another airline already under a CBA by the TWU the only thing that was achieved was that they fired a shot across the bow of Southwest's management and that they're now on the hook to pay dues for the remaining time that AirTran flies on their own certificate. It takes years to draw up a contract, and nobody at AirTran is going to live to see the day that contract is written. It was an inexperienced move by an inexperienced work group, and the IAM was all to happy to oblige. This talk of full seniority integration was a mere propaganda tool that the IAM used to sway votes in their favor. They know it's not realistic. The TWU (which currently represents Southwest's equivalent work groups) would never agree to it, and if taken to arbitration there's no way an arbitrator is going to see full seniority as a "fair and equitable" solution when the AirTran side stands everything to gain and the Southwest side stands nothing to gain. In short, I wouldn't sweat it. I do think they will likely receive some percentage of their existing seniority. Something like 25-30%. And only because of McCaskill Bond. 10 years ago, seniority would not even be a conversation to be had.

So, what does the whole Integration mean for Southwest Airlines (1) and What should the Air Tran employess look forward to with the new merger? (2)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Nicholas Saaduliev in Orlando, Florida said: I will be on the edge of my seat waiting to see how this one unfolds. I really don't think Southwest has any idea what they've got themselves into. I used to work at AirTran at MCO and the two companies are NOTHING alike. I'm at Southwest now, and I can't help but laugh every time I hear one of our executives praise AirTran for having the same commitment to customer service and the same fun luving culture that we have at Southwest. It's a total crock. I don't think the people at AirTran even know what it is to work for a respectable company. I fear that most of them will come in with their hardened attitudes that they've formed from being treated like absolute crap for so many years. I disagree with the plan to hire on all of their employees sight unseen. Some of them REALLY have no business working at Southwest, and many (especially in cities where both airlines fly) have already been rejected by Southwest and had to settle for working at AirTran. Why now are they Southwest material? It sort of undermines the tight hiring process that Southwest has conducted for so many years that now they're just going to let 8,000 unscreened crap-o airline employee pour into our ranks, and we're supposed to be excited about it.

I understand your concern about the employees who where not able to make the Southwest Airline cut, and moved on to Air Trans a much more leaniant hiring process.
What do you think is the fair thing to do? I sure hope that this was on the table of disscussion before they made an offer to buy Air Trans. I would not want to be the people or person who is charge of that decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

imflyinhigh in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: So, what does the whole Integration mean for Southwest Airlines (1) and What should the Air Tran employess look forward to with the new merger? (2)

For Southwest as a company, the most substantial gain was the station in ATL. Atlanta has been the one glaring absence in Southwest's route map for years. Buying AirTran has allowed Southwest to enter ATL (something they would not have been able to do on their own as Delta has all the gates hogged up) and they can do it in a big way. Traditionally when Southwest opens a new station they begin with only a handful of flights per day. This time, from day one Southwest will open with over 200 flights per day which will instantly make it one of the largest Southwest stations. ATL is an important market from a revenue and strategic standpoint, and it will allow for an exponential amount of city pair combinations. Additionally Southwest gains some market share in some of the redundant cities as well as many new smaller cities and some international destinations.

For AirTran employees, gee. Just about everything. First of all they're moving from a company that didn't treat it's employees very well at all to one that is widely known for their great employee culture and moral. They went from a non-union position to a union position with excellent job security. They pretty much all will be given large raises and an overall better compensation package. Just to give you an idea, here are the pay scales side by side and the difference in annual income.

AirTran - Southwest
---------------------
$9.10 --- $10.28 ($2,492)
$9.80 --- $11.47 ($3,527)
$10.75 --- $11.94 ($2,513)
$11.50 --- $13.36 ($3,928)
$12.25 --- $15.09 ($5,998)
$13.00 --- $16.36 ($7,096)
$13.85 --- $17.61 ($7,941)
$14.50 --- $18.49 ($8,427)
$15.05 --- $19.34 ($9,060)
$15.65 --- $20.22 ($9,651)
$16.30 --- $21.09 ($10,116)
$16.85 --- $25.97 ($19,261)
$17.40
$18.00

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: For Southwest as a company, the most substantial gain was the station in ATL. Atlanta has been the one glaring absence in Southwest's route map for years. Buying AirTran has allowed Southwest to enter ATL (something they would not have been able to do on their own as Delta has all the gates hogged up) and they can do it in a big way. Traditionally when Southwest opens a new station they begin with only a handful of flights per day. This time, from day one Southwest will open with over 200 flights per day which will instantly make it one of the largest Southwest stations. ATL is an important market from a revenue and strategic standpoint, and it will allow for an exponential amount of city pair combinations. Additionally Southwest gains some market share in some of the redundant cities as well as many new smaller cities and some international destinations.

For AirTran employees, gee. Just about everything. First of all they're moving from a company that didn't treat it's employees very well at all to one that is widely known for their great employee culture and moral. They went from a non-union position to a union position with excellent job security. They pretty much all will be given large raises and an overall better compensation package. Just to give you an idea, here are the pay scales side by side and the difference in annual income.

AirTran - Southwest
---------------------
$17.40
$18.00

Very informative! This merger is very exciting and the possibilities for Southwest Airlines and the employees seem to be pretty good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: I figured it might not be a bad idea to start a thread dedicated to the AirTran integration and what it means for both incumbent and prospective employees of both airlines. Post anything regarding this subject here.

When is Air Tran susspose to completly onboard? Months or years? How are the flying privileges working, if you work for either ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

imflyinhigh in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: When is Air Tran susspose to completly onboard? Months or years? How are the flying privileges working, if you work for either ?

It's hard to say. The merger is completely finalized. Southwest Airlines owns AirTran. As far as integration and making all things one, it remains to be seen. It can take years before it's all blended into one company. Things have already started to happen. AirTran has started to adopt many of Southwest's internal policies (stuff like dress codes), and in cases where AirTran and Southwest exist at the same airport they've begun integrating office and counter space. As of now though AirTran people still work AirTran flights and Southwest people work Southwest flights.

40 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: It's hard to say. The merger is completely finalized. Southwest Airlines owns AirTran. As far as integration and making all things one, it remains to be seen. It can take years before it's all blended into one company. Things have already started to happen. AirTran has started to adopt many of Southwest's internal policies (stuff like dress codes), and in cases where AirTran and Southwest exist at the same airport they've begun integrating office and counter space. As of now though AirTran people still work AirTran flights and Southwest people work Southwest flights.

Thank you John you are very informative, what do you do for the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

imflyinhigh in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Thank you John you are very informative, what do you do for the company?

Ramp

40 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Ramp

Thank you John, I'll be back (in my Arnold's voice) !

mdpooh719 in Beltsville, Maryland

40 months ago

Hey John, all of your information has been helpful. im jus curious tho, about my interview tomorrow. I have a f2f, and im a little nervous. how does the interview go? what type of questions will i b asked? i heard that they are basically looking for personality. so fill me in a little bit, i wanna b prepared. this is for the ramp agent position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

mdpooh719 in Beltsville, Maryland said: Hey John, all of your information has been helpful. im jus curious tho, about my interview tomorrow. I have a f2f, and im a little nervous. how does the interview go? what type of questions will i b asked? i heard that they are basically looking for personality. so fill me in a little bit, i wanna b prepared. this is for the ramp agent position.

How did your f2f go? What did you think of the interview questions?

ramper in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

I agree, thanx for starting the thread John. Anyways,from what Ive seen here in Orlando, the Air Tran employees are trying to make it sound like a merger instead of an acquisition. Theres no way full seniority will happen, its not fair to the SW employees. I agree with Nick's comments,Ive been around this industry awhile now and Air Tran is nothing like Southwest, it will be an interesting integration process. Also the payscale John posted is spot on. Air Tran employees know they hit the jackpot so they shouldnt be picky with seniority. Just remember SW dont have to hire any of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: For Southwest as a company, the most substantial gain was the station in ATL. Atlanta has been the one glaring absence in Southwest's route map for years. Buying AirTran has allowed Southwest to enter ATL (something they would not have been able to do on their own as Delta has all the gates hogged up) and they can do it in a big way. Traditionally when Southwest opens a new station they begin with only a handful of flights per day. This time, from day one Southwest will open with over 200 flights per day which will instantly make it one of the largest Southwest stations. ATL is an important market from a revenue and strategic standpoint, and it will allow for an exponential amount of city pair combinations. Additionally Southwest gains some market share in some of the redundant cities as well as many new smaller cities and some international destinations.

AirTran - Southwest
---------------------
$17.40
$18.00

Just to point out that the first one, $10.28, is for the probationary 6 month period. After 6 months it goes to $11.12. After 1 yr, the $11.47.

Duane Hollinger in Atlanta, Georgia

37 months ago

The AirTran Management is garbage, and no one has offered any SWA management upgrades!!! SWA is talking and not showing!!! I can play Texas Holdem!!! Delta is a Juggernaut!!! With no cohesiveness between SWA and AirTran to begin with, DELTA will eat SWA alive in ATL!!! If AirTran Employees in ATL pose negative attitudes toward SWA, it's all up hill with a 100lb bag of rocks!!!
Former AirTran Supervisor now DELTA Employee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

" First of all they're moving from a company that didn't treat it's employees very well at all to one that is widely known for their great employee culture and moral." That is why they voted in the IAM!!! where the hell was the TWU???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ATL Finest in Atlanta, Georgia

37 months ago

This Southwest/Airtran marriage was suppose to be good for both parties. Southwest was getting ATL as well as new airplanes and we were getting job security and better pay. Now all of a sudden we are being treated like animals. We dont desereve it. Why are we being treated so badly. Airtran ramp agents are the most productive in the business and we have the stats to back that up. Why so much anger? This is a win win for both parties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Show me the WIN/WIN!!! then I won't be angry!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I dont know where you are from Nicholas but it sounds like you are from the 60's somewhere outside of Salem Alabama. We have done nothing to you and I will make sure you are questioned by Southwest Managment. I have worked at Hartsfield for 22 years. 3 airlines and 3 contract companies. So I have an ideal what a respectable company is. Maybe Airtran is not the best company but we are not as bad as you make us out to be. Maybe your experience in MCO was but you shouldnt carry that hostility around with you. We we soon be a family so try your best to except these unscreened employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DetroitRedd in Atlanta, Georgia

37 months ago

While I agree that our cultures are different and there will be more changes for AirTran employees (more good than bad), I take issue for insulting the entire workforce. While there are a few bad apples in any workforce (SWA included), they don't make up the entire staff of either company. Fortunately, you're not in the position of decision-making on who should or should not be allowed into the "pearly gates" of SWA. If Airtran employees are so "crap-o", the overall performance ratings would not be as high as they are. Congrats on your successful change of employer. So, do what do you're paid to do, throw your bags! Let those whose are paid to think, do the thinking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Realistically, there is nothing wrong with AirTran CM attempting to get the most that they can out of time served, whatever work-group they're in. It may not be fully successful, but it is arrogant to state that we should just accept less after years of service to this company. It is the AirTran CM's years of hard work and putting up with crappy management that made the airline attractive enough for SWA to agree to acquire it. To say that AirTran is offering nothing in deal is pretty ignorant, as well. More than just Atlanta, AirTran is a good airline, better than most, and will be missed by loyal passengers after the operation certificate is signed. Your myopic visions cause the negative comments. Look at the big picture and perhaps it will be little more clearer than your own little worlds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

I'm sure the folks at AirTran are a swell bunch, but if you really believe Southwest acquired AirTran for it's people you're dreaming. Southwest was interested in the assets of your company and to eliminate a competitor. Nothing more. The people are being kept on simply because it's easier to do that than to just hire a whole new set of people and train them to operate AirTran's schedule. Your numbers are great but also scaled WAY down. 1-2 flights a day in and out of most cities, all mostly hubbing to ATL. You really shouldn't be screwing that up too much. Southwest's operation is much bigger and complex with much more opportunity for error. Also much higher baggage volume. Relatively speaking, Southwest's performance is probably more impressive. Take into account that the DOT statistics are per 1,000 passengers enplaned. For baggage numbers that statistic is skewed as on Southwest those 1,000 passengers are checking far more bags than 1,000 passengers on other airlines. They should track that stat by per 1,000 BAGS checked. And yet Southwest is still right up there with everybody in baggage. We might actually be the best by a large margin in baggage handling if we could look at the real numbers.

Also, another big reason why your company was competitive was because they kept costs down and it was at YOUR expense. AirTran's wage costs were a huge advantage. So were you guys fist pumping at the news of your company's profits as you were making $12 an hour as a 6 year employee? Well way to go! lol. At Southwest we make the profits (bigger ones) and it's not at the expense of our own paychecks.

At some point when you all come over to Southwest you'll understand better why we're coming off as a bit arrogant. Being in ATL, you probably have not been exposed to a whole lot of info about Southwest, they type of company that it is, and how much of an accomplishment it is to be hired here, as well as the quality of life that we enjoy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

::continued::

Under normal circumstances you don't get to just come work at Southwest just like it's a job at the grocery store or something. It's hard to get hired here and many people begged borrowed and stole to even get an interview. It's a Forbes fortune 500 company and by far the best airline employer PERIOD. If we were in the internet business we'd be google. Can you imagine being at some small web outfit being acquired by google and the nerve they would have to have to demand anything above and beyond a JOB at google? It's really how a lot of current Southwest folks are looking at this scenario right now. It's great that you guys were proud AirTran employees and find some sense of nobility in your labor there, but frankly we don't care :). You're outsiders and you're not entitled to anything of ours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: ::continued::

Under normal circumstances you don't get to just come work at Southwest just like it's a job at the grocery store or something. It's hard to get hired here and many people begged borrowed and stole to even get an interview. It's a Forbes fortune 500 company and by far the best airline employer PERIOD. If we were in the internet business we'd be google. Can you imagine being at some small web outfit being acquired by google and the nerve they would have to have to demand anything above and beyond a JOB at google? It's really how a lot of current Southwest folks are looking at this scenario right now. It's great that you guys were proud AirTran employees and find some sense of nobility in your labor there, but frankly we don't care :). You're outsiders and you're not entitled to anything of ours.

Appreciate your candor. Won't even dignify it with any further retort after that ignorance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

On that note, I'm prompted to leave ALL forums and social media, including the FB pages promoting One-Luv or SWALife. Instead of being information resources, they're all becoming sources of speculation and perpetuating fear. This forum is the worst yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Wayne, New Jersey

37 months ago

DetroitRedd in Atlanta, Georgia said: Appreciate your candor. Won't even dignify it with any further retort after that ignorance.

lol, ok. In other words, you're not happy with what I'm saying but you cant refute one bit of it. Sorry if the reality of the situation differs from what all you ATL guys are feeding off of amongst yourselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Tutti England in Rockford, Illinois

36 months ago

We all know how Southwest operates; they acquire and then start the gleaning process to make everyone adapt to their culture. Their culture works internally quite well for them and their employees, and obviously has worked financially as a big business too. It's called "superiority complex" and for whatever reasons, it catches on quickly with their new hires, who quickly acclimate to it. We all know that Southwest did not acquire AirTran for its swell employees- the ATL gates and what they consider "international destinations" were the big factors in this purchase. Southwest has never been interested in the intrinsic good it can do for a company that is part of its fold, but rather, it ruthlessly takes what it can scavenge and then discards the bones without a minute's thought as to the toll it has taken on the real people left behind. It may or may not end up being a good thing- we'll all be watching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

John in Chicago- REALLY? We all deserve dignity and respect bro.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: Deal with it buddy. You idiots hit the jackpot when we ACQUIRED Airtran not merged..so just count your blessings and take what we give you and shut it....ONE LUV

OMG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: Deal with it buddy. You idiots hit the jackpot when we ACQUIRED Airtran not merged..so just count your blessings and take what we give you and shut it....ONE LUV

Just read a Customer Service Roundtable Q&A that directly address the area of why SWA acquired Airtran. Of course it credits the crewmembers hard work at making Airtran desireable in the end. So that above comments on SWA wanted Atlanta and not the crewmembers is pretty ignorant.

The entire "WE Acquired" is a pretty ignorant statement, as well. YOU were on the Ramp, loading planes, as YOU'RE paid to do. NOT at the table shaking hands when the agreement to buy AirTran was made. YOU also are still collecting your hourly pay for loading planes and are not getting any additional bonuses for the transaction. So humble yourself, be glad that WE (OneLuv) still have a job and just load your planes as YOU are told (with no bag fees, of course). Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

John in Wayne, New Jersey said: lol, ok. In other words, you're not happy with what I'm saying but you cant refute one bit of it. Sorry if the reality of the situation differs from what all you ATL guys are feeding off of amongst yourselves.

No, I was just outdone by how moronic you sound. You're in an unskilled position that requires no more than a high school education (just as in a grocery store) yourself! You did not pass any high appititude test to become a baggage handler! Oh I'm sorry, you had to learn twice as many city-codes as Airtran, - Einstein! YOU make a good wage because SOMEONE ELSE created a unique business model that works. YOU do as you're told and take home a paycheck, thankful that the business model is still working so you're not laid off like thousands of others in this country. Get off the high horse that you don't even own, except through a promissory note.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Duane Hollinger in Atlanta, Georgia said: The AirTran Management is garbage, and no one has offered any SWA management upgrades!!! SWA is talking and not showing!!! I can play Texas Holdem!!! Delta is a Juggernaut!!! With no cohesiveness between SWA and AirTran to begin with, DELTA will eat SWA alive in ATL!!! If AirTran Employees in ATL pose negative attitudes toward SWA, it's all up hill with a 100lb bag of rocks!!!
Former AirTran Supervisor now DELTA Employee

Footie note: Delta employees (some former Airtran CMs) are sniffing around our gates, WAITING for when SWA takes over to reapply to work on C1-22, again! (Ya'll hirin'?"

36 months ago

On behalf of the hardworking folk at AirTran, we're looking foward to making it happen with SWA and working along side fellow hardworking folks that just want to do likewise. - Be well compensated for providing good service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

By now I hope Southwest Managers have dealt with the dummies who started this blog. We shouldnt have even responded to this crap from the start. But, 2 or 3 jokers cant speak for 30,000 people so lets move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

DetroitRedd in Atlanta, Georgia said: No, I was just outdone by how moronic you sound. You're in an unskilled position that requires no more than a high school education (just as in a grocery store) yourself! You did not pass any high appititude test to become a baggage handler! Oh I'm sorry, you had to learn twice as many city-codes as Airtran, - Einstein! YOU make a good wage because SOMEONE ELSE created a unique business model that works. YOU do as you're told and take home a paycheck, thankful that the business model is still working so you're not laid off like thousands of others in this country. Get off the high horse that you don't even own, except through a promissory note.

I think you nailed it right on the head, and confirmed our worst fears. That's the attitude of most employees of mediocre employers. That you're just a peon in a system of greater design. At Southwest we like to think we play a role in our company's productivity and success. The "model" that was designed for Southwest back in 1971 was that of a commuter triangle between Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. To say the least, that "model" has been on a constant course of evolution. Southwest's success is attributed to a philosophy more than a model. That philosophy is centered heavily on customer service. From the bottom up, every Southwest employee understands their role as it relates to the customer and they try their best to ensure positive experience. We OWN our company's success at every level. We don't look up to big daddy in the glass tower to pull the strings and earn our profits while we all just collect paychecks. It's going to be a fundamentally different type of work environment than you're used to and there are a LOT of critics on our end who question whether or not a mass hiring of several thousand "other airline employees" into our ranks will work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Southwest has historically been very selective who they hire, and it has less to do with work experience and more to do with personality traits. Southwest wants certain types of people who are capable of actually taking responsibility and understanding the larger picture, and caring if the customers have had a positive experience or not. I'm sure you've probably heard the slogan "Own It". This campaign has been running since right around the time of the AirTran acquisition. This campaign is targeted at YOU GUYS. To familiarize YOU of how we operate, to try and at least mitigate to some degree the fact that we didn't hire you and make sure you passed the sniff test to begin with. I know this may all sound like a bunch of company fluff talk, but I guess that's the problem. We REALLY do embody this attitude and we really do worry about our culture post integration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Furthermore, the discussion of seniority is even more annoying. You're all extremely fortunate to be given the opportunity to work at Southwest at much higher pay rates, with more vacation, and better benefits. There's not a single one of you who two years ago wouldn't have dropped everything for the opportunity to leave AirTran and come to Southwest at the equivalent pay step (much higher pay) and forgo all seniority. And if you say otherwise you're lying. Why don't you just take a look at the Southwest Airlines forum on this website and read through the THOUSANDS of pages of people who would sell their first born for a position at Southwest. I don't see anything like that on the AirTran forum.

It's NOT equal. You're not entitled to equal seniority. Some of us worked for years at airlines like AirTran and others before we could come to Southwest and we all started over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

@John-Wow dude you act as though SWA is the highest paid company in the world. Its just another job homeboy. Yea yall do make more but I was making 80,000 a year with another company at Hartsfield. So squash that pay crap. Also, who wants to live in Chicago. I would rather work for Airtran in Atlanta than work for Southwest in Chicago. Also lets talk about bags. I worked for Delta for 10 years and I know what loading 300 bags and 340 people per flt in 45 mins feels like. So shut your mouth on the number of bags yall have.Enjoy your life in Chicago because I bet my last dollar you are not living better than we are in Atlanta. We gonna pray for your racist soul.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I make $80,000 a year currently as a ramper at Southwest, homeboy. Who wants to live in a world class city? I guess it's not for everyone. Racist?,.. I never did and still have no idea what race you are. You're a complete idiot none the less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Besides, who's asking you to move to Chicago? You'll get your new Southwest pay and get to still live in ATL, and nothing is going to change for you at all except that your paycheck will be bigger. So why don't you just stfu and enjoy your fortunes..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: I make $80,000 a year currently as a ramper at Southwest, homeboy. Who wants to live in a world class city? I guess it's not for everyone. Racist?,.. I never did and still have no idea what race you are. You're a complete idiot none the less.

You just proved my point. You are making 80,000 a year in Chicago. News flash young fellow...that is not a lot of money. If you were making a 1/2 million a year then that would be different. You still have to get up in the morning and bypass your three piece suits and grab your ramp gear. I have my own business making that in 5 months. Bless your heart. Your 80 is equal to our 60 in ATL

36 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Besides, who's asking you to move to Chicago? You'll get your new Southwest pay and get to still live in ATL, and nothing is going to change for you at all except that your paycheck will be bigger. So why don't you just stfu and enjoy your fortunes..

LOL Dont you ever consider working for someone else a fortune. Bless your heart. Be honest. Southwest is the best job you ever had. lol My 80,000 a year was salary. 40 hrs a week. How much ot you have to work to make that?

36 months ago

John-So you are saying since the cost of living is better in Atlanta that we will be living better than you are in Chicago. Is that your worst fear? Playboy, we are living good now. Come visit us at Airtran and see how many of us have 6000sq ft homes on finished basements. We were doing ok before Southwest. God is our provider. Let the anger go and realize Southwest needed us just as much as we needed them. If that wasnt so, they would have remained a solo.

36 months ago

I'm confused. Was that 80k salary with AirTran or the company you worked at before? I believe you said it was at a previous job, so what are you even talking about? You probably make about 30 something thousand a year at AirTran. Those 6,000sf homes in ATL must be going cheap. Hey more power to you brother. I'm not begrudging your lifestyle. You started up with that talk not me. I'm very happy as well as an 80k per year guy in Chicago, take my work for it ;). Just think, now you can go from about 30k to about 45k and live just that much better in ATL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

You missing the point. You act as though Southwest is the highest paid job in the world. I could make 80000 on the ramp in Atl but thats not important to me. We have people making that already for in Atlanta. Its no big deal. But I can tell you I make more than 45000 on the ramp. No company has 100% perfect employees, if you believe that you are kidding yourself. I was asked to come back to that 80000 a year job but I stayed put with Airtran. So what Im telling you is that money isnt everything young man. So what was the purpose of you posting southwest and airtran salaries next to each other. We are all in the same boat, working to make Gary Kelly and his crew richer while we try to make it. If you are not a part of the top 1% then you are with the rest of us 99%. Southwest lost over 2000 employees last year and yall are 30% understaffed so I guess those 2000 people werent screened so well. And thats a statement from Charles yall union president. Go throw some more bags low life you are beneath us and you will be beneath a lot of us once this seniority is put in place. Sorry for ya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

ATL Finest in Atlanta, Georgia said: Blah blah blah blah

You're making just about NO sense at all anymore and I should probably just stop replying to your moronic posts, but what can I say I have no will power.

I actually agree with the first part of your statement. Money is indeed NOT everything, which is why as an A&P certified AC mechanic I CHOOSE to retain my position as a ramp agent at Southwest. I'm a senior agent who holds a great line, can take any vacation days I want, best schedules, best assignments. The trade off is that I make $26 an hour instead of $39 an hour. But as a mechanic I would have to start ALL over on the scale taking a significant pay cut for at least 3 years, work overnight line shift, have tue/wed off, maybe not enjoy the work itself so much, etc.. Weighing all things, my current spot wins out. Furthermore the quality of life that we enjoy at Southwest goes well beyond our pay rates. We are actually just treated VERY well. Our benefits are outstanding. Take my word for it when I tell you that being a Southwest employee is paramount to having it made. AirTran is not even in the same arena. Also, we at Southwest don't have such cynical views of our jobs as you described as "helping make Gary Kelly richer". That's pretty indicative of the collective attitudes of the employees at your company and we want no part of it. And as has already been pointed out with the scale comparison above, we "make it" just fine at Southwest. So no need for the animosity towards the execs. We're HAPPY employees over here.. I hate to inform you, but we have rampers with 30+ years seniority. So post integration, not a whole lot of us are going to be beneath anyone at your 17 year old company ; ,of those years you'll be lucky to retain 50%.

Our company has 40,000 employees and probably 1,800 of those 2,000 are retirees ;)

You can sit there and try to spit venom all you want. I sit atop the hill looking down at where you WISH you were.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Newnan, Georgia

34 months ago

Sorry you feel so negative about the intergration of Airtran Flight Attendants.You chose Airtran first to work with,then saw how Airtran treated their employees,2nd you left & went to work with Southwest which is a great airline.But during your tenure at Airtran,you can not say you did not work around great Flight Attendants.I am a flight attendant who works very hard, and works with great people. I am proud of of my co-workers, and just as proud of being now part of Southwest Team. Their logo is "Luv", which I think you need to really look up that word-because you do not represent SWA,or I hope not. We are like the stepchildren in a new family, and all we want is to be accepted, & treated fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.