Southwest Ramp Agent

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Jay in Casselberry, Florida

46 months ago

I just applied to a ramp agent position in Orlando, that was posted yesterday, June 22. I looked today, June 23, and it was taken off. I'm wondering if someone could tell me does that mean that they filled the position, or if they recieved too many applications? Also, does anyone who works or worked for Southwest have any idea when I would hear anything from them if they didn't fill the position?

Thanks for the help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

onemackmommy in Carrollton, Texas

45 months ago

I did the same thing here in Dallas. I saw the job posting, filled out the App and the following day, it had vanished. This is not a bad thing, as i just got back from my Face to face today.I do have 1 year Ramp experience, but it is not all based on that! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VEGAS-ROB in North Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

I have an interview in ft lauderdale fl this tuesday. i was wondering what questions are gonna be asked in the interview process and also how many other people are gonna be attending?is this a 1 on 1 interview or is it gonna be a group session first? any info will help. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

neo in Altoona, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

@Jay:

I don't know the exact reason why they take it off but I do know that it does not mean that they filled the position as I had been offered a phone interview probably 2 weeks after the position closed onliine. You will notice that most position postings at SWA only last about a day before they disappear. I think they simply close the position out online when they receive enough applications. And since they receive so many applications every day, it only makes sense that the positions close out so fast.

My advice: If you're serious about getting a job there, look on their career site every day so you don't miss the opportunity when it comes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

neo in Altoona, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

@VEGAS ROB:

The interview questions will most likely depend on what you have on your resume. One thing I can tell you though is that most companies ask you why you choose them. SWA especially will make sure that you didn't just apply there randomly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida

43 months ago

VEGAS-ROB in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: I have an interview in ft lauderdale fl this tuesday. i was wondering what questions are gonna be asked in the interview process and also how many other people are gonna be attending?is this a 1 on 1 interview or is it gonna be a group session first? any info will help. thanks

Hi just read your post VEGAS-ROB, and was wondering how your interview process went? I have an interview tomorrow (9-24-2010)also in Fort Lauderdale for customer service.....and I am soooo nervous. Anyway thanks for any info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California

41 months ago

Can someone tell me what the F2F interview is like for Southwest Customer Service Ticket Agent please! Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

They call me Larry in Orlando, Florida

37 months ago

Hey Sunshine, I know you last posted about 4 months ago but I just wondered what is your status?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

damnitfocker in Chula Vista, California

36 months ago

Will southwest hire you as a ramp agent if convicted of a DUI 1 year ago, but now have a valid drivers license? I have nothing else on my record as far as my backround. Thanks for any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VEGAS-ROB in North Las Vegas, Nevada

35 months ago

Does anyone know if you can have visible tattoos (ex.neck,hands) and become a ramp agent or do they frown on that? ive spent alot of money on my tattoos and there really nice not prison style. ive been in 2 tattoo magazines for them so i would say there nice. any info would be nice. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Dallas, Texas

35 months ago

VEGAS-ROB in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: Does anyone know if you can have visible tattoos (ex.neck,hands) and become a ramp agent or do they frown on that? ive spent alot of money on my tattoos and there really nice not prison style. ive been in 2 tattoo magazines for them so i would say there nice. any info would be nice. thanks.

Shouldn't be an issue on the ramp as long as the tattoos aren't offensive or degrading. You may be out of luck for customer contact positions however.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

There are guys on the ramp with full sleeves. Not sure if they were hired that way, but they're not hassled for it when they're at work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

35 months ago

John,
What are the main differences in part time ramp and full time ramp? Im not talking about the difference in hrs because I know there is plenty of ot. I will be a pt ramper and I guess i just want to know, "why would I want to go ft?" Are there benefits being a ft over a pt? How much more do pt pay for health insurance? Also regarding 401k match, how much does the company match to start? What is the max? My goal of course to make money and lots of it, I know all about the work and I am a hard worker. I know different stations run differently but how can I try to get the most double ot to maximize my paycheck? I am looking to get an average of $900/weekly after taxes. I have figured that I could do it working about 70-75 hrs. That is actually what I work anyways in my current job. Would getting a morning shift so they can mando me for night be the best solution over getting a night shift and then "hoping" they mando me to come in early? Lastly, I know the first month is basically training but do you know if I would be able to pick up ot or more hrs? I just need more than 40 hrs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Dallas, Texas

35 months ago

Your insurance will cost the exact same as it does for a full-time ramper. If you want to put any dependants on your insurance, however, it will cost you a lot more. We're talking about $500 for you and one dependent instead of about $100 for a full-timer. Don't know if the 401k match is the same either but a full-timer gets a 8.3% match. You can't work any overtime while in training. If you want mandatory overtime work mornings, you'll have a much higher chance to get it. You definitely want to check if they put any restrictions on you for overtime since you're not a full-timer. By what I'm reading from you, it sounds like there is absolutely no reason for you to work part-time. You would only restrict yourself, especially when it comes to shift trading and stuff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

35 months ago

Someone in Dallas, Texas said: Your insurance will cost the exact same as it does for a full-time ramper. If you want to put any dependants on your insurance, however, it will cost you a lot more. We're talking about $500 for you and one dependent instead of about $100 for a full-timer. Don't know if the 401k match is the same either but a full-timer gets a 8.3% match. You can't work any overtime while in training. If you want mandatory overtime work mornings, you'll have a much higher chance to get it. You definitely want to check if they put any restrictions on you for overtime since you're not a full-timer. By what I'm reading from you, it sounds like there is absolutely no reason for you to work part-time. You would only restrict yourself, especially when it comes to shift trading and stuff.

Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it. Wow I guess except for the huge difference in amount you pay for dependents on insurance, its not too much of a difference. I will try and get FT as soon as one opens up, I just hope theres no long waiting list. Thx again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in Dallas, Texas

35 months ago

No problem. If you're really interested in moving to full-time you should start talking to your admin or MRO's about it. MCO is a big station so openings are frequent, but they're usually filled by internal transfers, such as rampers from other stations, so these openings often never even make it to the career site. Talk to them about doing an internal transfer to full-time and they will let you know how to go about it. You may still have to wait it out a bit, however, since you've been hired as part-timer but they will let you know. Also they have to consider other employees with higher seniority first but they will explain all that to you. But it's good to let them know that you're interested so that they can get the process started

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

Yeah PT is not a bad deal overall because despite it being a lower amount of base hours, you can basically work as much as you want if you elect to. There will be no shortage of shift giveaways and overtime. The only major drawback that I have found is that those PT schedules are seemingly constantly in limbo. The PT people are in their own little "pool" and only bid amongst themselves for schedules and off days. Then company has the latitude to fluctuate the amount of hours given to the PTers from 4-6 hours per day, and move their hours from mornings, nights, and closing. You never know what the next bid will bring.. So on some bids the PT guys might be pulling in 30 hours a week (base), the next bid might be only 20 (the difference between 4-6 hour days). Maybe things are a bit more consistent in MCO, but that's how it goes down at MDW.

Another slight drawback is that after you go PT and decide to change over to FT, your full seniority does not carry over. So if you have any intention at all of ever going FT it's best to do it early on. I think you only get to keep 2/3rds from PT to FT. So a 3 year PTer is only as good as a 2 year FTer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

35 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Yeah PT is not a bad deal overall because despite it being a lower amount of base hours, you can basically work as much as you want if you elect to. There will be no shortage of shift giveaways and overtime. The only major drawback that I have found is that those PT schedules are seemingly constantly in limbo. The PT people are in their own little "pool" and only bid amongst themselves for schedules and off days. Then company has the latitude to fluctuate the amount of hours given to the PTers from 4-6 hours per day, and move their hours from mornings, nights, and closing. You never know what the next bid will bring.. So on some bids the PT guys might be pulling in 30 hours a week (base), the next bid might be only 20 (the difference between 4-6 hour days). Maybe things are a bit more consistent in MCO, but that's how it goes down at MDW.

Another slight drawback is that after you go PT and decide to change over to FT, your full seniority does not carry over. So if you have any intention at all of ever going FT it's best to do it early on. I think you only get to keep 2/3rds from PT to FT. So a 3 year PTer is only as good as a 2 year FTer.

WOW, thats kinda shocking to me. I mean why? I definitely will try to go FT ASAP. Does it work vice versa from FT to PT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

ramper in Orlando, Florida said: WOW, thats kinda shocking to me. I mean why? I definitely will try to go FT ASAP. Does it work vice versa from FT to PT?

No a full timer going part time would keep his seniority, but then if he went back to FT he'd forfeit 1/3rd of his total seniority. If I could have my way, they would just lump the PT and FT lines all together on one bid and have it be fair game to everyone. Then it gives employees the latitude to maybe bid down to PT if they need reduce their hours if they've got something else going on or something like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

35 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: No a full timer going part time would keep his seniority, but then if he went back to FT he'd forfeit 1/3rd of his total seniority. If I could have my way, they would just lump the PT and FT lines all together on one bid and have it be fair game to everyone. Then it gives employees the latitude to maybe bid down to PT if they need reduce their hours if they've got something else going on or something like that.

john have new contract negotiations started yet? Will it still go in effect June 30th?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

Formal negotiations have not started. I think they plan on starting negotiations in July. The new contract will go into effect on July 1st 2011 retroactively from the day it becomes ratified. That can be in 6 months or 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ex Comair Guy in Cincinnati, Ohio

34 months ago

There is a rumor going around that Southwest will be opening a new hub in Cincinnati towards the end of this year. Has anyone hear heard that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kristhensoldierinLawton,Ok in Houston, Texas

34 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Formal negotiations have not started. I think they plan on starting negotiations in July. The new contract will go into effect on July 1st 2011 retroactively from the day it becomes ratified. That can be in 6 months or 2 years.

Hello John. How are you? I was wondering if you know if the new SW/Airtran contract will add tuition assistance/reimbursement? What new benefits, if any, will be added? Thanks for your time. I value and appreciate your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

kristhensoldierinLawton,Ok in Houston, Texas said: Hello John. How are you? I was wondering if you know if the new SW/Airtran contract will add tuition assistance/reimbursement? What new benefits, if any, will be added? Thanks for your time. I value and appreciate your help!

Tuition assistance is not something you'll typically find at Southwest as opposed to some other places. The reason being is that a job at Southwest is a career. It's not UPS part time package sorting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fredmesa@rocketmail.com in Hollywood, Florida

18 months ago

Jay in Casselberry, Florida said: I just applied to a ramp agent position in Orlando, that was posted yesterday, June 22. I looked today, June 23, and it was taken off. I'm wondering if someone could tell me does that mean that they filled the position, or if they recieved too many applications? Also, does anyone who works or worked for Southwest have any idea when I would hear anything from them if they didn't fill the position?

Thanks for the help

wher did u applie i will love to work fro southwest

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fredmesa@rocketmail.com in Hollywood, Florida

18 months ago

wher did you applied for a ramp agent position i want to work for southwest can you help me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

18 months ago

fredmesa@rocketmail.com in Hollywood, Florida said: wher did you applied for a ramp agent position i want to work for southwest can you help me

hiring right now for ramp

You apply online, however I can tell you that they are not hiring right now for ramp anywhere in FL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.