Unprofessional phone interviewers the norm???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Stacie in Baltimore, Maryland

87 months ago

My fiance applied for a ramp agent job. The listing closed the next day. Two days later he got an email saying respond by Monday at 5pm if you're interested in a phone interview. He responded Monday morning. The following Thursday, he got a call in the morning saying his phone interview would happen sometime that afternoon. It is now Wednesday, nearly a week later, and NO ON HAS CALLED! He's called the person he initially spoke to 3 times and has gotten no response. He's responded to the email again and NOTHING.

I'd seen all of the reports on here about unprofessional phone interviewers and am just disgusted by this. They want people to think their company is so great to work for, yet their phone interviewers can't even do their job?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

krista in Fall River, Massachusetts

76 months ago

WEll i recieved a notice about a phone interview on july 22 stating that they would love to schedule a time for a telephone inetrview and today is aug 2 and have not recievd anything io dont know what to do.

Reply - Report abuse

Secure123 in West Hartford, Connecticut

57 months ago

I've posted it in another forum and I'll post it again, yes. SW Recruiters are the most unprofessional people I've ever run into in my life, with HR a close second.

There were a lot of issues about HR/Recruiters during this process which is really sad. I applied online from a job posting website. I understand they call from different states, but the recruiter called my house at 5:30 AM (and I'm on the East Coast of the US!). This was not scheduled like many people say - they just randomly called, and in the process woke up my entire household. I tried to give this "recruiter" the benefit of the doubt, but I was soon sorry I did I didn't just stop there. She then went on to tell me that even though the Customer Service Supervisor position wasn't open anymore (and I had about 10 years experience with another company in the same position and a degree in aviation), she wanted me to switch over to be a ramp agent . This means about a 65% pay cut and the hours were 1/2 of what was originally posted. Still I allowed her to go through with it, since this was going to make an even better letter to customer service later on! When I thought she couldn't make any more mistakes she asked me if I wanted to work in a town where an airport didn't exist- YUP! The airport is actually about 30 miles east of where she was referring to and she had just concocted an imaginary title for it. Again, the proper airport was in the job listing. After that I asked her if she had my resume in front of her- she said she did. She asked NOTHING about the job or how my experience related to it. She tried to go over my job history saying "so you last job was 8 years ago?" and then picked out another position I had held before that. It was evident she was either reading it backwards or under the influence. She invited me in for a face to face interview but I declined. No one should work for a company like this.

Reply - Report abuse

samlewis in Chicago, Illinois

56 months ago

Secure123 in West Hartford, Connecticut said: I've posted it in another forum and I'll post it again, yes. SW Recruiters are the most unprofessional people I've ever run into in my life, with HR a close second.

There were a lot of issues about HR/Recruiters during this process which is really sad. I applied online from a job posting website. I understand they call from different states, but the recruiter called my house at 5:30 AM (and I'm on the East Coast of the US!). This was not scheduled like many people say - they just randomly called, and in the process woke up my entire household. I tried to give this "recruiter" the benefit of the doubt, but I was soon sorry I did I didn't just stop there. She then went on to tell me that .....

There are a couple things that you have to keep in mind when you're a Southwest applicant. The first thing is that you're owed nothing. The second thing is that you're in a field of thousands of applicants for the same position. You hold none of the cards despite how much "airline experience" you have. You have zero "Southwest experience". To have even achieved individual attention from a recruiter over the phone in any capacity was a major feat in itself. You probably should have listened more to what they had to say about the ramp job. It could have meant getting A job at Southwest, which is ALL that anyone can realistically hope for. And it's not 65% less pay. Trust me I'm in a position to know.

A job interview is not like a waitress taking your order at a restaurant. They don't have to do anything for you, they don't even have to be fair or nice. You're wanting to join THEIR team and they'll humor your request or they won't. And especially when you're just in a sea of people clawing over one another for ANY position at the company. Anything but absolute interest in what they have to say will almost certainly result in a pass on your application.

Reply - Report abuse

Airport Safety in Enfield, Connecticut

53 months ago

Secure123 in West Hartford, Connecticut said: I've posted it in another forum and I'll post it again, yes. SW Recruiters are the most unprofessional people I've ever run into in my life, with HR a close second.

They did the same thing to me! It must be a trend with that branch and "recruiter" . I currently work with a different airline, but applied to their posting as it had a higher salary rate. The call came in at 5:11 in the morning and when she gave me the name told me a completely address and claimed the location was in MANCHESTER when the post said Bradley International (which is the only airport in the state that they fly out of).

At the very end they offered minimum wage + union fees. SCAM.

I don't doubt for one second that it was a 65% pay cut given they tried to play the same game with me.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Airport Safety in Enfield, Connecticut said:

I wasn't going to delve into specifics because I found this posting to be quite ridiculous and not worthy of an enthusiastic response but here are the facts. I'm a ramp agent at Southwest and I make just about $83,000 a year. Starting pay on the ramp and customer service are roughly the same. They're represented by different unions so the contracts are ratified and expire in overlapping periods so at times the ramp actually pays MORE, and when CS signs their new deal their pay is temporarily a little higher. Southwest does not pay minimum wage. I would be very curious to hear more specifics about your experience.

Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Oh wait, just noticed both postings from the Hartford CT area.. No need to reply ;) A lot of that goes on in this forum for some reason.

Reply - Report abuse

Omahagirl in Omaha, Nebraska

53 months ago

Stacie in Baltimore, Maryland said: My fiance applied for a ramp agent job. The listing closed the next day. Two days later he got an email saying respond by Monday at 5pm if you're interested in a phone interview. He responded Monday morning. The following Thursday, he got a call in the morning saying his phone interview would happen sometime that afternoon. It is now Wednesday, nearly a week later, and NO ON HAS CALLED! He's called the person he initially spoke to 3 times and has gotten no response. He's responded to the email again and NOTHING.

I'd seen all of the reports on here about unprofessional phone interviewers and am just disgusted by this. They want people to think their company is so great to work for, yet their phone interviewers can't even do their job?

A job posting went up Thursday night, and it is Sunday....only up for 1 business day?? Is that the norm?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

WNguy in Minneapolis, Minnesota

53 months ago

Omahagirl in Omaha, Nebraska said: A job posting went up Thursday night, and it is Sunday....only up for 1 business day?? Is that the norm?

Nope, its usually up for only hours... the fact that it was up for more than 24 hours is astonishing.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

pamela61502 in Cleveland, Ohio

37 months ago

Has anyone ever applied for a position in Cleveland, Ohio?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.