southwest airline hiring process?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 7020)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida

46 months ago

Just received an email this morning saying that I have to fly to Baltimore to be finger printed...do they also drug test or will I have to wait? Anyway I am soooo excited....been unemployed since April 30 2009. Always wanted to work for WN....did 12 years at United...ramp in my past life. Worked for B6(Jetblue)...Airport Ops....seasonal though....luved it but season ended....you guessed it April 30 2009.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida

46 months ago

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida said: Just received an email this morning saying that I have to fly to Baltimore to be finger printed...do they also drug test or will I have to wait? Anyway I am soooo excited....been unemployed since April 30 2009. Always wanted to work for WN....did 12 years at United...ramp in my past life. Worked for B6(Jetblue)...Airport Ops....seasonal though....luved it but season ended....you guessed it April 30 2009.

Correction April 30 2010

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SD Native in San Diego, California

44 months ago

New to this site. Good to read everyone's comments. Alot of useful info and great support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SandFlysBy in Texas

44 months ago

I had a f2f interview for CSA position in MCO recently. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this job! It was scheduled 45 min. & I was out in about 30 min. I had the CSA Mgr. & a recruiter in the room with me. I was comfortable, but at the same time I don't have "feel" one way or another for how the interview went. When I asked how soon they were looking to fill the position(s), I was told I would know something in about 10 days. Is this a good or bad sign? (ps: I have prior aviation/airline experience).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

h in Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

SandFlysBy in Texas said: I had a f2f interview for CSA position in MCO recently. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want this job! It was scheduled 45 min. & I was out in about 30 min. I had the CSA Mgr. & a recruiter in the room with me. I was comfortable, but at the same time I don't have "feel" one way or another for how the interview went. When I asked how soon they were looking to fill the position(s), I was told I would know something in about 10 days. Is this a good or bad sign? (ps: I have prior aviation/airline experience).

I applied mid November online and got a call back for a phone interview. A F2F was scheduled for Dec 6th. I got fingerprinted the same day. Two days later I was called to do a drug test. I got a contingent offer of employment via email stating "if" everything else clears I have the job.

It's been a week since my drug test. I got a email response yesterday from FAC, the third party that handles the BKG investigations for additional contact info for a previous employer. Former employer told me they called them today.

So I'm still waiting for that to clear. I'm not worried about the drug test but I hope everything clears and SOON! Most people on here have stated it took 2 weeks from the drug test protion for a answer back. I'm at one week so far.

SandFlysBy in Texas

44 months ago

h in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I applied mid November online and got a call back for a phone interview. A F2F was scheduled for Dec 6th. I got fingerprinted the same day. Two days later I was called to do a drug test. I got a contingent offer of employment via email stating "if" everything else clears I have the job.

It's been a week since my drug test. I got a email response yesterday from FAC, the third party that handles the BKG investigations for additional contact info for a previous employer. Former employer told me they called them today.

So I'm still waiting for that to clear. I'm not worried about the drug test but I hope everything clears and SOON! Most people on here have stated it took 2 weeks from the drug test protion for a answer back. I'm at one week so far.

You had MUCH better luck than I -- I received the dreaded "thanks but no thanks" email on Monday. I sort of expected as much, though. They aren't supposed to discriminate because of your age, but I think that's what happened. Oh well ...... life goes on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California

44 months ago

Ok I just got a call back saying I got the job but they have to do backround check, fingerprints and drug test. I did everything but the drug test the day of my f2f interview. What is the process now? /Im excited but nervous because I dont have any criminal things on my backround but this whole process makes you feel like they are the FBI? Can anyone tell me what happends next? Does this outside company (the backround people)call me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SandFlysBy in Texas

44 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: Ok I just got a call back saying I got the job but they have to do backround check, fingerprints and drug test. I did everything but the drug test the day of my f2f interview. What is the process now? /Im excited but nervous because I dont have any criminal things on my backround but this whole process makes you feel like they are the FBI? Can anyone tell me what happends next? Does this outside company (the backround people)call me?

Once your background check clears, you're set. You won't be notified by the company doing the background check, you'll be notified by SWA that everything has cleared and they will give you a start/training date. Congrats!

kmc26mco in Deltona, Florida

44 months ago

SandFlysBy in Texas said: Once your background check clears, you're set. You won't be notified by the company doing the background check, you'll be notified by SWA that everything has cleared and they will give you a start/training date. Congrats!

I have my f2f for the MCO customer service part time spot on Dec 28th. What did they ask you when you had yours? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

H in Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: Ok I just got a call back saying I got the job but they have to do backround check, fingerprints and drug test. I did everything but the drug test the day of my f2f interview. What is the process now? /Im excited but nervous because I dont have any criminal things on my backround but this whole process makes you feel like they are the FBI? Can anyone tell me what happends next? Does this outside company (the backround people)call me?

I got an email asking for more detail info from the company that does the background checks and yes they call every employer you put on the application.

I'm done with finger printing and drug test and I just got an email today to go into the airport for badging next week.

I believe that once they ask you to drug test you're basically in IF the drug test and background (criminal and if you told the truth on your application) and badging go well.

Will keep posting. :)

H in Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

SandFlysBy in Texas said: You had MUCH better luck than I -- I received the dreaded "thanks but no thanks" email on Monday. I sort of expected as much, though. They aren't supposed to discriminate because of your age, but I think that's what happened. Oh well ...... life goes on.

I'm sorry! Maybe try again when they hire.

SandFlysBy in Texas

44 months ago

H in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I'm sorry! Maybe try again when they hire.

Thanks, H. Congrats & GOOD LUCK to you! SWA rocks! (even though they didn't choose me, I still think they're the best!).

44 months ago

Has anyone checked with their references (the people you put down) to see if they called them? If so what kind of questions did they ask?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fromthe757 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

43 months ago

H in Las Vegas, do you have a start date already or is the date you go in for badging your first official day? I was wondering if you had time to give two weeks notice. Thanks!

H in Glendale, Arizona

43 months ago

fromthe757 in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: H in Las Vegas, do you have a start date already or is the date you go in for badging your first official day? I was wondering if you had time to give two weeks notice. Thanks!

No I had to get my badging meeting rescheduled because of a family emergency. I think its safe though and enough time that once you get the email requesting to you to go to a meeting to apply for airport security [badging] you can put your two weeks notice in.

But will let you know when I go in.

fromthe757 in Norfolk, Virginia

43 months ago

H in Glendale, Arizona said: No I had to get my badging meeting rescheduled because of a family emergency. I think its safe though and enough time that once you get the email requesting to you to go to a meeting to apply for airport security [badging] you can put your two weeks notice in.

But will let you know when I go in.

Sorry to hear about that and I hope everything is well. Congratulations on making it this far! Please keep us posted.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

H in las vegas have you got a start date for your training? Im asking because i got an email too and im just trying to gage when training class might start im thinking in feb

fromthe757 in Norfolk, Virginia

43 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: H in las vegas have you got a start date for your training? Im asking because i got an email too and im just trying to gage when training class might start im thinking in feb

sunshine3200, when was the last time you heard anything? What did your e-mail say? I have been checking with my references and none of them have received a call for a reference check. I am really hoping that we get at least two weeks notice because I am currently working. Good luck!

43 months ago

IT was from the backround company wanting info on my school, last employer. Did southwest tell you that you were hired? If so how long ago?

fromthe757 in Portsmouth, Virginia

43 months ago

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California said: IT was from the backround company wanting info on my school, last employer. Did southwest tell you that you were hired? If so how long ago?

No, I'm just waiting for a call. Here is a timeline of events: 11/29/10 - Phone interview, 12/07/10 - F2F interview, 12/15/10 - Drug screening, 12/21/10 More info requested for background check, 12/28/10 Fingerprints taken. Funny thing happened at work today. Leadership was talking about how Disney and Southwest Airlines screening candidates. I wanted to share my experience so bad, but I couldn't because some might have wondered how I was familiar with the process. But it just goes to show how many people in other industries are fully aware of how selective Southwest is when it comes to hiring. Good luck, everyone! Keep us posted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

XNWA IN MINN in Sartell, Minnesota

43 months ago

does anyone have any info on when and if swa will be hiring f/a.

43 months ago

fromthe757 in Portsmouth, Virginia said: No, I'm just waiting for a call. Here is a timeline of events: 11/29/10 - Phone interview, 12/07/10 - F2F interview, 12/15/10 - Drug screening, 12/21/10 More info requested for background check, 12/28/10 Fingerprints taken. Funny thing happened at work today. Leadership was talking about how Disney and Southwest Airlines screening candidates. I wanted to share my experience so bad, but I couldn't because some might have wondered how I was familiar with the process. But it just goes to show how many people in other industries are fully aware of how selective Southwest is when it comes to hiring. Good luck, everyone! Keep us posted.

I think your in. Based upon your timeline it sounds similar to mine except the day of my f2f the did fingerprints right there. Then I waited a few weeks and they said im in then told me BR CHK ppl might contact me after that clears then they said I would go in for drug testing. I dont think they do the BR CHK on people they are not interested in because it cost them money. I started this whold process back in NOV so your right on target with me. Ill make sure to keep you posted with me and please do the same. I got my fingers crossed for you.

The more ppl I talk to say they are a Great company to work for!! Lets hope all goes well.

Megadish in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

Hey guys! This forum is super helpful!!! I'm glad I found it. I applied to Southwest on the 14th of December. I got an email on the 1st to call before the 5th. I called the next day and I got a phone call from Southwest on 1/4 and I had a brief interview. By brief I mean maybe 2 or 3 questions. I'm a little anxious because the last time I had an interview with Southwest, I got an interview for a face to face the same time as the phone interview. FYI don't ever be late for an interview...lol! So this 2nd time around she said that she would get back to me within 2 weeks hopefully less. Is this a bad sign or does southwest usually call back and invite folks in for a face to face?

fromthe757

43 months ago

Hi Megadish! Congratulations on getting an e-mail and phone interview! I would suggest that you call the recruiter back on Tuesday morning (1/11/2011) to follow-up if you really want this. You might have to leave a voicemail, but that's fine as long as you are prepared to reiterate why you are interested in joining Southwest, and most importantly, what you have to offer. So, before then, you should do your homework and have a solid understanding of what is expected from the candidate that will be selected to join the Southwest Family. For example, do you understand that you will be expected to work a variety of shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays? Do you understand that as a new employee you are very likely to be subjected to mandatory overtime? Are you willing to change your plans at the last minute and stay past your scheduled shift end time if necessary? Above all else, can you explain why you have what it takes to constantly and consistently deliver Positively Outrageous Customer Service - having a CAN-DO attitude and willingness to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get the job done? If you can convince the Recruiter that you are prepared for what will most likely be the most challenging and rewarding chapter of your life, you may be lucky to be invited for another face-to-face interview this time around. Good Luck!!!

e248 in San Diego, California

43 months ago

Is the third time the charm? Ive now applied with Southwest for the third time and hoping that I get the call. The first time I applied for a CSA position and received a rejection notice from an actual person. My second attempt was for a provisioning agent and received an automated response because my questionnaire wasn't strong enough. Finally, Ive applied to be a ramp agent, the position Ive really been after and I'm hoping that I'm a strong enough candidate for an interview. How long has everyone been applying or for those of you currently employed, how many times did you apply before you finally got hired?

flyin high in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

I had a great face to face but never know what to think. The recruiter was so positive. 24 hours after I was contacted for more info for the background check. Is this pretty good news? I just wonder if it will really take 4 weeks to get the info.

Junger82 in charleston, South Carolina

43 months ago

Does anyone know or heard when southwest airlines is going to be hiring for Charleston SC?? They start service in 2months and I havent seen anything post yet on Southwest.com..

SandFlysBy in Texas

43 months ago

I'm guessing that they will staff CHS w/internal employees who want to transfer there. Just a guess .........

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California

43 months ago

flyin high: The hiring process is a long one. I had my f2f in Nov and I was told I got the job in Dec but only after BC/DT clears since the holidays fell in Dec also my BC didnt clear until now JAN. I still have yet to be fingerprinted and DT. So for me its been 2 months already. You just have to be patience.

42 months ago

Hello everyone! I have a phone interview tomorrow morning! Any pointers from anyone on what to expect? Thanks to everyone who participates in this thread, it really has quite a bit of useful information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Hi e248! They will ask you Do you know the duties of the job your applying for? Why do you want to work for Southwest? What makes you qulified for the position?

Thanks all I can think of right off. I hope you do great!

JkR423 in Orlando, Florida

42 months ago

I applyed for a job as a ramp agent for southwest airlines in late November.
Heres how it went for me:

January 6th- Phone call/Interview
January 12th- Face to Face interview
January 18th- Contacted me and offered contingent employment
January 19th(today)-drug test

I guess at this point i just need to wait for the results of the BC/DT before they move me forward! they said that someone would be contacting me within a week to tell me what my next step is.

42 months ago

Thanks for the input! My interview went well and Ill be going in for the face to face next week!

42 months ago

e248 in San Diego, California said: Thanks for the input! My interview went well and Ill be going in for the face to face next week!

Congrats!!!

42 months ago

Does anyone have an idea how training is conducted? I know you first start training at the airport you will be working at and then you go to training in dallas but how long are you training at your home station before you go to dallas? and how long are you in Dallas? and how long are you in training before you actually get an assigned schedule? Is training hours set like 9-5 for lets say 6 weeks? Please let me know. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas

42 months ago

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California said: Does anyone have an idea how training is conducted? I know you first start training at the airport you will be working at and then you go to training in dallas but how long are you training at your home station before you go to dallas? and how long are you in Dallas? and how long are you in training before you actually get an assigned schedule? Is training hours set like 9-5 for lets say 6 weeks? Please let me know. Thanks

Training in Dallas was 6 days a week for as a ramper. you go to a class called FLY. Its REALLY funn!!!
There are test everyday. ( study your city codes )
Free gooooooood lunch BBQ and chicken and stuff like that.
All said and done your gunna have a Blast! have fun and bring a camera , I wish i did when i went. This will be a big memory for in the company years to come... Eric stationed DAL LUV Feild

onemackmommy in Carrollton, Texas

42 months ago

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas said: Training in Dallas was 6 days a week for as a ramper. you go to a class called FLY. Its REALLY funn!!!
All said and done your gunna have a Blast! have fun and bring a camera , I wish i did when i went. This will be a big memory for in the company years to come... Eric stationed DAL LUV Feild

EJ, it is Onemackmommy, you still with Delta???????

42 months ago

I am in the process and have fingerprints and badging Monday. I cant wait to find out that I am cleared and go to training. Its amazing how positive this forum is...best one yet. Good luck everyone!

Awesomette in Nashville, Tennessee

42 months ago

I have a question for current Southwest employees. Southwest is my dream company, I would eventually love to become a Flight Attendant, but just working for the company is something I have wanted to do for years. I just applied for gate agent position in LGA and BOS. The only problem is that I currently live in Nashville. I am definitely willing to relocate, but I'm wondering if Southwest will even look at my resume/application being that I don't live in the area. I have an employee referral as well.

onemackmommy in Carrollton, Texas

42 months ago

Awesomette in Nashville, Tennessee said: I have a question for current Southwest employees. Southwest is my dream company, I would eventually love to become a Flight Attendant, but just working for the company is something I have wanted to do for years. I just applied for gate agent position in LGA and BOS. The only problem is that I currently live in Nashville. I am definitely willing to relocate, but I'm wondering if Southwest will even look at my resume/application being that I don't live in the area. I have an employee referral as well.

I too wanted to work for SWA, had a F2F in Dallas, and I must say, I was NOT Impressed with the hiring process. I was a Ramp Agent for United, and it seemed all they wanted from me was Info on how United did its thing. I then recieved a rejection notice 2 weeks later, and i was ok with that. They are not all that they seem....Good luck anyhow

42 months ago

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas said: Training in Dallas was 6 days a week for as a ramper. you go to a class called FLY. Its REALLY funn!!!

Thanks for the heads up!! Im studying my city codes now..just wondering if you need to know the airport name to. Example: OKC= Oklahoma City,OK (the airport name is Will Roger World Airport. Do I need to know the airpot name too?)

42 months ago

Does anyone know what type of insurance we get as employees?

42 months ago

flyin high in Denver, Colorado said: I am in the process and have fingerprints and badging Monday. I cant wait to find out that I am cleared and go to training. Its amazing how positive this forum is...best one yet. Good luck everyone!

Please keep me updated, im awaiting my DT to clear then Im in. I really would like to know how training will be conducted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

onemackmommy in Carrollton, Texas said: I was NOT Impressed with the hiring process. I was a Ramp Agent for United, and it seemed all they wanted from me was Info on how United did its thing. I then recieved a rejection notice 2 weeks later, and i was ok with that. They are not all that they seem....Good luck anyhow

I think your being rejected might have something to do with your opinion of the hiring process. As someone who's aided in group interviews of ramp agents at Southwest I'll let you in on a little secret. We couldn't care less about your operation at United, and you going on about it in your interview is probably what hurt your chances. I don't know if you pay attention to the industry or not, but we're just a bit better than United at being a successful airline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

flyin high in Denver, Colorado said: Does anyone know what type of insurance we get as employees?

United healthcare is the provider. Our insurance plans are very good. There are a couple of plan options, but they're both very cheap and provide great coverage. We also have a prescription plan with walgreens and pay like 15% of the price of prescription drugs. All of our benefits are industry leading.

42 months ago

John most companies give you a choice of a few health care providers is this the same for southwest? or is United health care the only choice? Do they offer Delta Dental (Not Delta Care?) When do medical benefits kick in? Day 1 or after the 6 month probation?

Awesomette in Nashville, Tennessee

42 months ago

I have a question for current Southwest employees. Southwest is my dream company, I would eventually love to become a Flight Attendant, but just working for the company is something I have wanted to do for years. I just applied for gate agent position in LGA and BOS. The only problem is that I currently live in Nashville. I am definitely willing to relocate, but I'm wondering if Southwest will even look at my resume/application being that I don't live in the area. I have an employee referral as well.

42 months ago

onemackmommy in Carrollton, Texas said: How arrogant of you to say SWA is better than United at being a more sucessful airline. have you ever worked for a different airline other than SWA? Well, if not, you do not have the right,unless they are factual,on how other airlines conduct business. Maybe you too have been brainwashed by SWA. Just saying.. and PS, if they did not care about my employment with United( a major airline, not a low cost carrier, then why would they grill me about United's work ethic? They were very unclassy, and bottom line is, I am more of a major airline type employee.....So there.

Oh, ok "major airline" guy.. Did you know that we operate more flights and fly more passengers than United? We also have more aircraft. We also make more money and have NEVER posted an unprofitable quarter in Southwest's nearly 40 year existence. Never laid off a SINGLE employee EVER. How has United done over the past decade? Are you having fun getting trounced in DEN right now by Southwest? So being a "major airline" type employee I guess you enjoy making those inferior wages as compared to Southwest as well. I guess you're more of a $21 an hour top out guy instead of a $26 an hour top out guy. Do you know that I made $78,000 this year working ramp at Southwest? I also get what amounts to 6 weeks paid vacation a year, soon to be 7 in a couple more years.

Nobody goes to work for United over Southwest on purpose. We're the top dogs in the industry, we make the most money, and have the best overall compensation package. We're an ever growing airline (already bigger than United), and are the most stable employer in the airline industry.

Also, yes I have worked for other airlines in the past.

Here's a link to our CBA in case you'd like to dispute anything I've said.
twu555.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=vCp-QfbwZ78%3d&tabid=640

I'd love to hear you make a case for United being the better airline to work for. I'm all ears.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JkR423 in Orlando, Florida

42 months ago

I agree with John on this one for sure. Its interesting how much SWA is overlooked when the facts/employee morale/benefits supercede all of the other airlines. I understand onemackmommy that your interview experience may have not been ideal, but you cant go and say that SWA is not a major airline based on that.

FYI Southwest airlines bought Airtran recently and will be flying to the Caribbean soon. This Includes Jamaica, Domincan Republic, Cancun Mexico, and Puerto Rico.

Also, that Paris joke wasnt very clever. kind of a cheapshot that doesnt make any point what-so-ever.

As for the Insurance, my dad has been a pilot for 15 years for SWA and he uses their Blue Cross Blue Shield option. So yes I believe there is a choice on the healthcare provider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas

42 months ago

onemackmommy in Carrollton, Texas said: EJ, it is Onemackmommy, you still with Delta???????

YOU BET I'am

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.