southwest airline hiring process?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 7011)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas

42 months ago

yep study the city codes lol
but the test dosent even count bunch of BS!

they just trick and make you think it counts.
when my class took the test we study the city codes and was ready the next day then he said ok time is up turn in what you have and threw them away LOL.!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California

42 months ago

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas said: yep study the city codes lol
but the test dosent even count bunch of BS!

they just trick and make you think it counts.
when my class took the test we study the city codes and was ready the next day then he said ok time is up turn in what you have and threw them away LOL.!

EJ Fresh if your employed with Delta then how do you know about Southwest training? I was asking about Southwest not Delta.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

Awesomette in Nashville, Tennessee said: I have a question for current Southwest employees. Southwest is my dream company, I would eventually love to become a Flight Attendant, but just working for the company is something I have wanted to do for years. I just applied for gate agent position in LGA and BOS. The only problem is that I currently live in Nashville. I am definitely willing to relocate, but I'm wondering if Southwest will even look at my resume/application being that I don't live in the area. I have an employee referral as well.

I don't think it should harm your chances at all. It may be difficult for you to make it back and forth to the interviews and training at first, but that'll be entirely on you and as long as you can make it work you should be in good shape.

42 months ago

because MAYBE i use to work for SWA and now DELTA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas said: because MAYBE i use to work for SWA and now DELTA.

Oh duh. Thanks EJ hopefully you didnt get offended by my question.

42 months ago

all good.

42 months ago

They may or may not subject you to an actual test at the end, but it doesn't really make any difference because the simple fact is that you DO need to know city codes to work at an airline. It's just about the most fundamental thing you'll be required to know in order to perform your job every day. At least that's the case on the ramp. Maybe CS can get away with not knowing city codes, but even that seems far fetched. I can't imagine a ramp agent who didn't know Albany from Albuquerque being relied upon to deal with the movement of bags all day. Some codes are not as intuitive as others. FLL is Fort Lauderdale, and BOS is Boston. But on the other hand MDW is Chicago, BDL is Hartford, SDF is Louisville, etc.. You need to KNOW that.

Also, as for the recent influx of OAL knuckleheads who have decided to chime in here. Take a hike. Seriously. So far you've contributed nothing but rude comments and bad advice. Your brief experiences on the fringe of Southwest's hiring processes does not make you an expert on anything, so you really have nothing to contribute here..

And to everyone else, take note as this will be a common occurrence in life as a Southwest employee. Our industry is filled with "haters" who will take every opportunity to take something away from or discredit Southwest Airlines. The reality of it is that of all airlines Southwest is the best one to work for. I mean there's literally not one aspect of being a Southwest employee that is not superior to being an airline employee somewhere else. As a result EVERYONE aspires to work there. Some make it and some don't. The ones that don't are the ones that settle down to the other airlines. Sour grapes, simply put - on a massive scale. The strange part about it is that although you may regularly encounter these haters, all you have to do is give a brief reality check and there is literally nothing else they can say. So why they subject themselves to this self imposed "slap down" is beyond me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Well said John.

On another note, are the Supervisor Positions Internally Bid upon just like most positions? Or do they post these positions but you have to interview for it?

My last job was also a union based position and for our Supervisors positions you had to place a bid for it (no interviewing) However for training manager positions we had to interview for that because those positions were not union based positions.

flyin high in Denver, Colorado

42 months ago

Well said John! I have worked for two airlines and I feel so lucky to have been hired by Southwest, the cream of the crop where the employees are happy. I have drug tested and now the fingerprints tomorrow and badging. God I just want to start training! I cant wait!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Flyin High your so lucky I cant wait until they tell me to come in for badging!! Im awaiting my DT to clear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California said: Well said John.

On another note, are the Supervisor Positions Internally Bid upon just like most positions? Or do they post these positions but you have to interview for it?

My last job was also a union based position and for our Supervisors positions you had to place a bid for it (no interviewing) However for training manager positions we had to interview for that because those positions were not union based positions.

Supervisors are considered to fall under the umbrella of management and by accepting a supervisor position you forfeit your union membership as well as your seniority. Openings will be posted and candidates interview for those positions. If you have ambitions to become a supervisor, it's actually best to do it early on as you have less to lose when you switch over.. That's part of the idiocy of it, because nobody 5-10+ years seniority would even consider taking a supervisor position. Honestly the trade off is not that great. Supervisors do not make much more money than ordinary agents, and they forfeit a great deal of job security and quality of life. You sort of have to become a company martyr to do something like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

JkR423 in Orlando, Florida said: I applyed for a job as a ramp agent for southwest airlines in late November.
Heres how it went for me:

January 6th- Phone call/Interview
January 12th- Face to Face interview
January 18th- Contacted me and offered contingent employment
January 19th(today)-drug test

I guess at this point i just need to wait for the results of the BC/DT before they move me forward! they said that someone would be contacting me within a week to tell me what my next step is.

Have you heard back regarding your BC/DT?

42 months ago

Hey sunshine...I didnt hear but when I called to give her the number she scheduled my fingerprints. I went in and asked and she was like you were cleared last week. If it comes back negative you wont hear anything. She told me it might be awhile for training!

42 months ago

I guess its true what they say "No news is good news!"

I had my DT last week and I havent heard anything since then. I know I was cleared for everything eles so this is the last piece to my puzzle. The anticipation is getting to me..lol.

Thanks for your update!

moosicgurly in Maryland

42 months ago

Hi ALL,

I was googling and I found this forum and I am eager to share my experience so far. I applied for the customer service representative on southwest.com on January 5th. I received a phone call requesting an interview on the 17th of January. My one on one interview was on January 19th at 9 am. Everyone was very polite and friendly and the interview process was very comfortable. I was offered the job and filled out the background check forms and fingerprinted and drug tested the same day. I was also told that the possible start date would be Feb 11. I am really excited and kind of nervous because I haven't heard back. Is that normal what is the usual timeline. I am so excited!!!! I am a former teacher so my background is completely clear I am just ready to start this new job. Does anyone know what types of things training entails?

42 months ago

moosicgurly in Maryland said: Hi ALL,

I was googling and I found this forum and I am eager to share my experience so far. I applied for the customer service representative on southwest.com on January 5th. I received a phone call requesting an interview on the 17th of January. My one on one interview was on January 19th at 9 am. Everyone was very polite and friendly and the interview process was very comfortable. I was offered the job and filled out the background check forms and fingerprinted and drug tested the same day. I was also told that the possible start date would be Feb 11. I am really excited and kind of nervous because I haven't heard back. Is that normal what is the usual timeline. I am so excited!!!! I am a former teacher so my background is completely clear I am just ready to start this new job. Does anyone know what types of things training entails?

Wow they told me it might be awhile for our training class because they were upgrading things in Dallas. Its a twelve day course in Dallas and then we come back and shadow someone.
Hope this helps!

e248 in San Diego, California

42 months ago

I had a great face to face interview earlier this week! Praying and hoping for the best... Glad to see people on here getting hired!

kam kam in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Supervisors are considered to fall under the umbrella of management and by accepting a supervisor position you forfeit your union membership as well as your seniority. Openings will be posted and candidates interview for those positions. If you have ambitions to become a supervisor, it's actually best to do it early on as you have less to lose when you switch over.. That's part of the idiocy of it, because nobody 5-10+ years seniority would even consider taking a supervisor position. Honestly the trade off is not that great. Supervisors do not make much more money than ordinary agents, and they forfeit a great deal of job security and quality of life. You sort of have to become a company martyr to do something like that.

Just came across this forum, I have been looking for employment with the airlines as a CSA or reservations do you know if Southwest ever hires for Chicago? I have been looking since 2010 and never see any opening for Chicago.

thanks for any help you can provide

SallieMae in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I am new to to this blog, I am trying to apply for a job part time in Chicago, can anyone tell me the best way to find when they have opening, I have been checking the SW website, but I can't seem to find any opening in Chicago. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

42 months ago

SallieMae in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi Everyone,
I am new to to this blog, I am trying to apply for a job part time in Chicago, can anyone tell me the best way to find when they have opening, I have been checking the SW website, but I can't seem to find any opening in Chicago. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You have to check the site often for openings,.. Job openings will be posted publicly only for a few hours at a time. The last time they posted ramp openings at my station, it went up at midnight and was taken off by 7am. In that time there were over 500 applications for the one opening. Southwest does not leave openings on the site indefinitely otherwise they would be swamped with applications. Check often, and immediately apply when you see it.

moosicgurly in Maryland

42 months ago

flyin high in Denver, Colorado said: Wow they told me it might be awhile for our training class because they were upgrading things in Dallas. Its a twelve day course in Dallas and then we come back and shadow someone.
Hope this helps!

Oh gosh really!! I was told that I would do some in classroom training at the air port that I will be working at before I go to dallas maybe by then they will be up and. running. Also, as an update yesterday I was contacted my the company performing the background check asking for more information. It kind of scared me bc I know my background is clear but I always get nervous that someone has used my information and I dont know about it but anyways I am assuming that this is a good sign. Just waiting on it to clear so that I can hopefully get started soon!!

42 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: You have to check the site often for openings,.. Job openings will be posted publicly only for a few hours at a time. The last time they posted ramp openings at my station, it went up at midnight and was taken off by 7am. In that time there were over 500 applications for the one opening. Southwest does not leave openings on the site indefinitely otherwise they would be swamped with applications. Check often, and immediately apply when you see it.

Thanks John for the info. I will continue to check throughout the day and night. Chicago does not seem to come up that often, so I wasn't sure if they only move people around within the company. If you come up with any other tips I am open to suggestions. Have a great day!!

Lindalirious in Port Republic, Maryland

42 months ago

Found this Forum and I have really enjoyed reading the posts.

Hi Moosicgurly :) I am in MD also! I wanted to share my experience too. My application was submitted online January 6, phone interview January 19 (I think), face to face interview January 26. I was hired on the spot pending outcome of my background check & drug test which I did immediately following my interview.

I was given 3 potential start dates: 2/11, 2/25 or 3/4 depending on how fast I am cleared. My first day (a friday) I would be getting badged and receive my uniforms. The following Monday, training would commence consisting of 2 weeks @ BWI, 1 week in Dallas, followed by an additional 2 weeks in Baltimore.

I really enjoyed both my phone and face to face contact with everyone I have encountered. The atmosphere was warm, relaxed and inviting. I am really looking forward to getting started and hope I am cleared quickly so I can make the 2/11 start date!

I do have a question for John or any other Ramp Agent: I was told to expect very long work weeks for the first 6 mo to year. Can you give me an idea of the shift you work in an average week? Just trying to get a clearer picture of what to expect. Thanks!

42 months ago

Lindalirious in Port Republic, Maryland said:
I do have a question for John or any other Ramp Agent: I was told to expect very long work weeks for the first 6 mo to year. Can you give me an idea of the shift you work in an average week? Just trying to get a clearer picture of what to expect. Thanks!

As a new hire with low seniority you're going to be subject to a good amount of mandatory overtime. Under the railway labor act, airlines are exempt from a lot of the typical labor laws common in most ordinary jobs. In the event that shifts need to be covered and there are not enough volunteers, the lowest man on the seniority list will be forced to work that line. It's not uncommon to have to work multiple 17 hour shifts per week. You may either be extended on the current shift that you're already on, or asked to come in on an off day. The first of your 2 off days is considered "a" status and puts you at the top of the list of people who would be asked to come in if need be. These scenarios are common in poor weather conditions when flights are delayed or diverted. This type of thing varies from station to station and their respective staffing levels. Some cities are more prone to it than others.

I will say that our union affords certain protections in cases like this. After a while you will learn about 10 hour rules, 4 hour rules, 13 day rules, and how to put yourself on a lower status level to reduce the risk of getting mandatoried. You'll have to forgive me but I don't have the energy to try and explain all of the intricacies of it. All of this becomes much less of a prevalent issue once you're above a certain seniority level, so it's really just a matter of getting through. It's a right of passage to becoming a vested employee at Southwest. At my current seniority ranking, I have not been issued mandatory overtime in over 3 years. One thing that mandatory overtime has going for it is that it's ALWAYS double time.

42 months ago

Well heres my experience with the waiting process...I have been fingerprinted and drug tested clearning me. I did the Sida paperwork and will probably do the badge test next week and be issed the badge. I have been in the airlines before so I know it wonbt take long for me to clear the badging process. They told me within next month or so we will go to Dallas once I am cleared for the Customer Service Training then return to shadow train at the airport. I am like you in Maryland...just waiting. I want to start. Thanks John, sounds like its going to be a long few months at the start but worth every minute to work for a great company!

42 months ago

Thanks John! I especially enjoy the relevance of your posts.

I am not afraid of hard work and I feel I am up to the challenge. I worked from October - January as a UPS Delivery Driver. While it was tough on some of those days, I thoroughly enjoyed the physical nature of the job.

My recruiter told me I could work up to 80 hours a week in the beginning. I am determined to pay my dues and make it through the early months/years! And hey, the double time will be nice :)

42 months ago

Oh Good Luck Denver and everyone else who is waiting :) Southwest was ranked #1 on Forbes best companies to work for list in 2010 and #2 in 2011 (Knocked out by Facebook)

42 months ago

I too am looking forward to the challenge if a job happens to come my way. I really enjoy working and being busy, so that does not scare me in the least. As Lindalirious states the double time would be great. I will keep praying for an opening in Chicago. Love your input, it's nice to have someone who knows whats going on to help you thru the process. Keep the tips coming, it give me a boost as I wait for the opening to appear in Chicago.

moosicgurly in Maryland

42 months ago

Lindalirious in Port Republic, Maryland said: Found this Forum and I have really enjoyed reading the posts.

Hi Moosicgurly :) I am in MD also! I wanted to share my experience too. My application was submitted online January 6, phone interview January 19 (I think), face to face interview January 26. I was hired on the spot pending outcome of my background check & drug test which I did immediately following my interview.

I was given 3 potential start dates: 2/11, 2/25 or 3/4 depending on how fast I am cleared. My first day (a friday) I would be getting badged and receive my uniforms. The following Monday, training would commence consisting of 2 weeks @ BWI, 1 week in Dallas, followed by an additional 2 weeks in Baltimore.

I really enjoyed both my phone and face to face contact with everyone I have encountered. The atmosphere was warm, relaxed and inviting. I am really looking forward to getting started and hope I am cleared quickly so I can make the 2/11 start date!

Hey!! Are you enjoying the snow??? I completely agree I had a great experience interviewing with the southwest representatives. I am however very excited to start this job!!! Does anyone know if the overtime works the same way for the customer service representatives, and how long does the background check normally take? Also, what is the classroom training like what types of things should I prepare for?

42 months ago

It is pretty and above freezing so nothing is sticking here. I am in Southern Maryland.

moosicgurly in Maryland

42 months ago

Lindalirious in Port Republic, Maryland said: It is pretty and above freezing so nothing is sticking here. I am in Southern Maryland.

Ahhh gotcha I am in upper marlboro right now I lost power in silver spring :(( but the snow is very pretty but I am ready for much nicer weather! And another random question what is your plan as far as commuting?

42 months ago

Whats a typical schedule like for full time CSAs? Four days? Five Days? How many hours?

42 months ago

Does anyone know when medical benefits kick in? Is it right away like the flight benefits or is it after probation (6 months)?

42 months ago

@Moosicgurly I am working on finding a friend who lives closer for back to back shifts but I don't mind the drive otherwise.

@Sunshine3200 I was told medical bennies kick in on day 31 - the first 30 days you are on probation.

42 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: As a new hire with low seniority you're going to be subject to a good amount of mandatory overtime. Under the railway labor act, airlines are exempt from a lot of the typical labor laws common in most ordinary jobs. In the event that shifts need to be covered and there are not enough volunteers, the lowest man on the seniority list will be forced to work that line. It's not uncommon to have to work multiple 17 hour shifts per week. You may either be extended on the current shift that you're already on, or asked to come in on an off day. The first of your 2 off days is considered "a" status and puts you at the top of the list of people who would be asked to come in if need be. These scenarios are common in poor weather conditions when flights are delayed or diverted. This type of thing varies from station to station and their respective staffing levels. Some cities are more prone to it than others.

I will say that our union affords certain protections in cases like this. After a while you will learn about 10 hour rules, 4 hour rules, 13 day rules, and how to put yourself on a lower status level to reduce the risk of getting mandatoried. You'll have to forgive me but I don't have the energy to try and explain all of the intricacies of it. All of this becomes much less of a prevalent issue once you're above a certain seniority level, so it's really just a matter of getting through. It's a right of passage to becoming a vested employee at Southwest. At my current seniority ranking, I have not been issued mandatory overtime in over 3 years. One thing that mandatory overtime has going for it is that it's ALWAYS double time.

Hey John,
Just wondering if SW will hire someone who is over 50 or do they try to stick with the younger crowd. My kids are grown and I have plenty of time and like working with people.

42 months ago

SallieMae in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey John,
Just wondering if SW will hire someone who is over 50 or do they try to stick with the younger crowd. My kids are grown and I have plenty of time and like working with people.

Southwest will hire you regardless of age.

marnawds in Houston, Texas

42 months ago

This is a question for employees do step children fly free also?

42 months ago

marnawds in Houston, Texas said: This is a question for employees do step children fly free also?

Yes

42 months ago

not really man, depends where your working at. Here at the hub in DAl LUV, seniority rules. Meaning all the senoir people get all of the Mando time here.As a new hire I've only been mando once and LUV the mando and OT. Same with the rest of us part timers.

moosicgurly in Maryland

42 months ago

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas said: not really man, depends where your working at. Here at the hub in DAl LUV, seniority rules. Meaning all the senoir people get all of the Mando time here.As a new hire I've only been mando once and LUV the mando and OT. Same with the rest of us part timers.

I have a question for you can you tell me about how long it takes for everything to clear? I got my drug testing fingerprints and background check started on Jan 19, and I haven't heard anything back. I did get an email from the background check asking for more information about work/school references is that normal. I am starting to get nervous bc I havent heard anything but my background is completely clear and I have never been fired or anything.

42 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Southwest will hire you regardless of age.

Thanks John, Now I know I can get a job as soon as Chicago has an opening. You just made my day. I will keep my eyes on the computer. Any other places besides on line where they may post the jobs?

KELLY in Fort Worth, Texas

42 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: Southwest will hire you regardless of age.

Hi, do you know when SWA will be hiring or posting for applicants for externals? Also, can you submit an application/resume even if the job is not posted? Eagerly awaiting....used to be a FA for SW 20 years ago, and want to go back sooooo bad!!!! Help please!!!

42 months ago

EJ FRESH in Grand Prairie, Texas said: not really man, depends where your working at. Here at the hub in DAl LUV, seniority rules. Meaning all the senoir people get all of the Mando time here.As a new hire I've only been mando once and LUV the mando and OT. Same with the rest of us part timers.

You're confused. First of all DAL is not a hub. It's where Southwest is headquartered but DAL is not even in the top 5 of Southwest's biggest stations. Second of all, people with high seniority will never be mandatoried over lower seniority people. Mandatory overtime is issued in REVERSE seniority meaning the most junior people get it first. If you're referring to ordinary voluntary overtime then you are
correct.

[QUOTE]Any other places besides on line where they may post the jobs?
Southwest.com is the best place to look. If there are job openings they will be posted there before anywhere else.

[QUOTE]Hi, do you know when SWA will be hiring or posting for applicants for externals? Also, can you submit an application/resume even if the job is not posted? Eagerly awaiting....used to be a FA for SW 20 years ago, and want to go back sooooo bad!!!! Help please!!!

Well, I know that they ARE looking to fill 300 FA positions and that they have so far fallen short of filling the vacancies internally. I would not be surprised to see FA openings go public within a few months. You may have better luck trying to be hired with AirTran as they will eventually be absorbed by Southwest.

e248 in San Diego, California

42 months ago

Hey everyone! I received a contingent offer today! Was drug tested this afternoon and will be fingerprinted at the end of the week. Im looking forward to completing the process. I wish all of you looking to work for this great company the best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

John
I have a few questions. I have been in airlines for a few years and I am curious. About how many hrs do junior full time csas work? Do we get the same two days off all the time? I know it can differ just wanted an idea! Do you know what we have to wear in Dallas for training? Like business professional etc? Thanks you have been great!

42 months ago

flyin high in Denver, Colorado said: John
I have a few questions. I have been in airlines for a few years and I am curious. About how many hrs do junior full time csas work? Do we get the same two days off all the time? I know it can differ just wanted an idea! Do you know what we have to wear in Dallas for training? Like business professional etc? Thanks you have been great!

Full time is 8.5 hours (30 min lunch) a day, 5 days a week. Pay periods are from the 1st of the month to the 15th and then the 16th to the end of the month. Pay days are the 5th and 20th of the month. You will get the same two days off for the duration of the bid. Training in Dallas is very casual. No dress code.

42 months ago

since ive been here in may 2010, of the 20 new hire here in DAL have only been Mando ot 1 or not even that we are over staffed. all the senoir guy i talk to grab it all bro we want but they take it.

Millie in South Orange, New Jersey

42 months ago

Hey everyone!!
I started my process with SW last week and today I had the f2f..right after I was done with my f2f i was fingerprinted and sent for my drug test!! Im sure these are all good indications that I have the job, but my ? is what is the turn around time and what is the method of communication for an offer?

I applied for the Customer Service Position here in Newark NJ (EWR)

42 months ago

Millie in South Orange, New Jersey said: Hey everyone!!
I started my process with SW last week and today I had the f2f..right after I was done with my f2f i was fingerprinted and sent for my drug test!! Im sure these are all good indications that I have the job, but my ? is what is the turn around time and what is the method of communication for an offer?

I applied for the Customer Service Position here in Newark NJ (EWR)

Hi Millie,
Have you ever worked for the airlines before? Can I also ask you how long you have been trying to get a job at SW. I am in Chicago and am trying to get a job also. I am currently unemployed so just kinda curious. Thanks for your help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Millie in South Orange, New Jersey

42 months ago

SallieMae in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi Millie,
Have you ever worked for the airlines before? Can I also ask you how long you have been trying to get a job at SW. I am in Chicago and am trying to get a job also. I am currently unemployed so just kinda curious. Thanks for your help!!

Hi Sallie,

No I have no prior airline experience and this was my first attempt at SW!! I heard about the job posting thru a friend and kept checking the SW job board daily and frequently until i found the position i desired and the area in which i desired it to be in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.