What's the company culture at Sprint?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 60)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Sprint?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Sprint?

Reply - Report abuse

Ex in Raleigh, North Carolina

91 months ago

Horrible. Ever since the merger this company cannot seem to find itself. Nextel execs under <Edited by Host: Name Removed> run the show and are simple minded and clueless. Stay away, then need to be absorbed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Employee in Raleigh, North Carolina

91 months ago

I agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Winston-Salem,NC in Winston Salem, North Carolina

90 months ago

Employee said: I agree.
I work for Sprint and I have been there for four years. Working in retail period can be horrible at any given time. It's not necessarily Sprint that makes it bad- it's just retail i think. Don't get me wrong Sprint is very inconsistent- things change on a dime(as far as policies)But i must say we have excellent benefits. Many of health plans to choose from, vision, dental, life insurance, tuition etc and not to mention the unbelieveable free phone, unlimited minutes, unlimited web, downloads etc. Oh! and we can have 12 additional lines per yr for family and friends for only $15/ mo-regardless of your credit. It doesn't get any better than that. But eventually you have to weigh the odds and see if it's really worth it. As far as pay, i get paid a nice salary (technician) and i know sales reps who make over 50/yr.-not bad i think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

RedLady in Virginia Beach, Virginia

90 months ago

I work in the Hampton call center. For the most part, the job is good, and the benefits are fabulous. However, management and human resources do the best they can to come up with ways to fire people. They have an attendance policy that keeps track of your BATHROOM visits. If you are away from your desk for more than 8 minutes, you are assessed five points and fifteen minutes of UNPAID time. There is entirely too much pressure from the supervisors to sell things we haven't even been trained on. You only get quota relief if you go on vacation for five consecutive days....not if you are in training for three days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Gainesville, Florida

90 months ago

Ex said: Horrible. Ever since the merger this company cannot seem to find itself. Nextel execs under Forsee run the show and are simple minded and clueless. Stay away, then need to be absorbed.
This company stinks!!!! It was the worst place I have ever worked. I was a store manager and I hated almost every minute of it there. They change policies on a daily basis. You never know who to call. If you do have a problem and have to call someone expect to be on the phone ( on hold) for forever. There's not enough money to get me back there EVER!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ex Employee in Rowland Heights, California

89 months ago

Prior to the merger, the culture in indirect distribution allowed the employee to plan their schedule and approach the agents with a consultative approach. After the merger, the position has become a glorified delivery person. Sprint has micromanaged & penny pinched many great employees into taking the severance package

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

swann in Killeen, Texas

89 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KT in Kansas City, Missouri

89 months ago

RedLady in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I work in the Hampton call center. For the most part, the job is good, and the benefits are fabulous. However, management and human resources do the best they can to come up with ways to fire people. They have an attendance policy that keeps track of your BATHROOM visits. If you are away from your desk for more than 8 minutes, you are assessed five points and fifteen minutes of UNPAID time. There is entirely too much pressure from the supervisors to sell things we haven't even been trained on. You only get quota relief if you go on vacation for five consecutive days....not if you are in training for three days.

I don't think this is unique to Sprint call centers; most call centers have a very strict attendance policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Swann34 in Killeen, Texas

89 months ago

RedLady in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I work in the Hampton call center. For the most part, the job is good, and the benefits are fabulous. However, management and human resources do the best they can to come up with ways to fire people. They have an attendance policy that keeps track of your BATHROOM visits. If you are away from your desk for more than 8 minutes, you are assessed five points and fifteen minutes of UNPAID time. There is entirely too much pressure from the supervisors to sell things we haven't even been trained on. You only get quota relief if you go on vacation for five consecutive days....not if you are in training for three days.

In the Temple Texas center..there are people that have been fired for being seconds late from break...this is no joke ! Since the merger, the center went from a fabulous place to work to an absolutely horrible place to work. Everyone there goes in not knowing if it will be there last day. The worst part is...the majority are good people that are great at their jobs. I could go on for hours about the shady dealings there, but I won't go there right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RedLady in Virginia Beach, Virginia

89 months ago

I understand the need for an attendance policy. I've worked in call centers most of my life; but this attendance policy is deliberately designed to walk people out the door. For example, if you are sick and call in, you will be assessed 10 points. That doesn't sound too bad...right? However if you have perfect attendance for a WEEK, you only get one point added back in. You can lose 15 points in one day just by being late from your lunch or breaks! It's so "high school" that it's demoralizing.
Another thing is that each supervisor has their own little kingdom. There are important policies that change from team to team. My supervisor was following call center policy about allowing us to take our breaks and lunch at our desk. She was promoted and has moved on. We were transferred to another supervisor who absolutely forbids us to stay at our desks during breaks and lunches. It's just a crazy situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MH in Sterling, Virginia

89 months ago

I would stay away from Sprint.

The culture is stuck in the old telecom landline days and leadership is pretty weak.

Until some serious changes at the top are made, this is not a place I would encourage you to pursue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Manchester, New Hampshire

89 months ago

Culture is paranoid and cut throat. Benefits are good if you can get full time but dont hold your breath. You can work in a very slow store and get the same $$ as a high volume store with much longer hours. There is no reward for working harder and longer!!! If your a "cashier" the job is fine but a true salesperson should stay away!!!!!!!!!!! T-mobil, ATT and verizon all pay their salespeople more than sprint pays it's managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PoliceState in Wilmington, North Carolina

88 months ago

They have the worst customer service ever. I can't imagine that the culture is all that better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gayle in Texas in Killeen, Texas

88 months ago

The ONLY positive thing I can say about the company is that the Benefits package is awesome. But then again..NO amount of benefits is worth the Hell you go thru working there or using their service !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Been there done that! in Winter Springs, Florida

88 months ago

[I know all about the micro management I was at Sprint for 2 months and they were going to write me up because the system did not release the call. I left on my own only to jump back in and Work at Brighthouse. Same thing different place, i dealt with it for 4 years. Micromanaging my ass with attendance the bathroom breaks aux times. Now, they monitor you by recording your work while you are on a call, they screen shot you and watch you from their offices. I'm relieved I finally left, it is taking some getting used to--getting up from my desk and just getting a leisurely cup of coffee seems like a treat. I also am welcoming a relatively normal schedule with weekends off. I wish anyone the best of luck working in that type of environment and warn anyone going in!

QUOTE who="RedLady in Virginia Beach, Virginia"]I work in the Hampton call center. For the most part, the job is good, and the benefits are fabulous. However, management and human resources do the best they can to come up with ways to fire people. They have an attendance policy that keeps track of your BATHROOM visits. If you are away from your desk for more than 8 minutes, you are assessed five points and fifteen minutes of UNPAID time. There is entirely too much pressure from the supervisors to sell things we haven't even been trained on. You only get quota relief if you go on vacation for five consecutive days....not if you are in training for three days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TODD in Waco, Texas

88 months ago

Swann34 in Killeen, Texas said: In the Temple Texas center..there are people that have been fired for being seconds late from break...this is no joke ! Since the merger, the center went from a fabulous place to work to an absolutely horrible place to work. Everyone there goes in not knowing if it will be there last day. The worst part is...the majority are good people that are great at their jobs. I could go on for hours about the shady dealings there, but I won't go there right now.

SHUCKS I WAS WANTING TO WORK AT THE TEMPLE CALL CENTER TELL I READ THIS! IS IT THAT BAD THE PAY SEEMS TO BE PRETTY GOOD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Swann in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

Todd...I'll put it to you this way...after being there over 6 years...they could offer me 6 figures and I'd still run for the hills...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sage in Louisville, Kentucky

88 months ago

Most of the management is very poor. The most qualified left the company as the merger has just created a larger nightmare. In general, management is some of the worse I've ever seen in twenty years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

G in Killeen, Texas

88 months ago

Sprint firing employees for Bogus reasons
I am an ex-Sprint employee (Legacy Nextel) who along with many others was unfairly fired for a bogus reason. This occurred after the announcement that the workforce would be reduced by 5000 employees company-wide. I'm looking for other ex-employees who may have experienced similar issues. The majority of us let go this way were tenured employees who would have received nice severance packages had we been laid off instead of Fired. Sprint is also appealing State Unemployment Benefits for many of us. I feel the company is going under since this blunder of a "Merger"...took place and this is one of the tatics they are using to cut some expenses. If you have a story...let me know at swann34@hotmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

I sent a letter to the News/MediA in Altamonte Springs, Florida

88 months ago

Yep that's what Brighthouse did, denied benefit for Unemp. But I'll appeal..I got another job outside a Call Center, so we must all move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rebadged in Independence, Missouri

86 months ago

I worked there for seven years and had gone through 13 re-orgs. It went from a great place to work making good profits then their executive commities or what ever started with changeing everything. After the stock split everything went down hill. The stock has never recovered from the pre-worldcom merger fiasco. One manager got away with sexual harassment and the person that went to HR got screwed. Me I went for two years without a raise and was changed from salary to hourly and worked nights for over a year. Final straw was after thlast lay off my whole department was outsourced to another company. We were screwed on our pay and benfits and like posted earlier firings were the order of the day. I finally told them to stick it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

G in Killeen in Killeen, Texas

86 months ago

Hey Rebadged...
Sorry about what happened with you at Sprint...seems those of us who actually were loyal to the company really got screwed. Check out this page if you haven't already. This is from theirl lastest fiasco..

consumerist.com/consumer/one-way-contract/sprint-drops-you-because-you-call-customer-service-too-much-275178.php

The comment towards the end from "swann" is mine..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Baltimore, Maryland

86 months ago

Sprint was a customer of ours. We were hired as vendors to do work on their sites. The managers are ignorant, rude, and talk to people like they are nothing. Horrible people. They are constantly moving the staff around. They don't know what the hell they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Swann in Killeen, Texas

86 months ago

Wow...I guess Sprint has the same mentality no matter what the location. I work there over 6 yrs and everything you stated is the Absolute truth!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LaRico VA

86 months ago

People-please keep in mind that Nextel, or Sprint for that matter, do not hire their telesales departments in the call centers. The call centers are owned by Teletech Holdings and believe me, they hire anything they can get to come through the door. There was just a "lay off" of management, but have since learned they were fired in lieu of unemployment. Verizon will not use FourPoint as their telesales. These telesales personnel at Nextel are also the ones who program and troubleshoot your phones. Sprint and Nextel do not handle anything for the phones except to pay for training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rebadged in Blue Springs, Missouri

86 months ago

Sprint is going the way of Enron and Nextel is just a start. This company has no concern about the people that work for them or their customers. The only thing that the corporate steering committee cares about is profit. That’s OK but when you forget about people well you just become another soulless entity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Swann in Killeen, Texas

86 months ago

A quick reply to LaRico's comment. True Teletech handles the Telesales portion of Sprint/Nextel, but Customer Service and Tech Support are hired directly, and we did not only account adjustments, but troubleshooting as well. And yes, Teletech does hire anyone off the street..that was part of the problem, much of the time we were correcting their mistakes. Also, the Sprint 'lay off' was company wide...more reps were let go than uppger management. They are still letting people go on a weekly basis in the Temple, Tx. center..I believe preparing for the inevitable, the closing of that center, although they deny that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

K in Orlando, Florida

86 months ago

Is anyone working in the Maitland center that has anything good to say? Has anyone left there and found a much better situation to recommend?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

employee in Charlotte, North Carolina

85 months ago

I've been at the Charlotte call center for 1 yr. Currently looking for another job because can't take it much longer. There is no consistency in management or their policies. They continually make changes to make it hard for you to make money but of course expect the world. The attendance policy is a joke with that whole high school point system. They have new training classes starting on a regular basis because they can't keep people. I would not recommend anyone to work there, not even for a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DRUNK AND DISORDERLY

85 months ago

GLAD I USE...SOMEONE ELSE'S PHONE!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

GiGi in Killeen, Texas

85 months ago

So it's horrible in Charlotte too. Wow it seems its like that in all the Sprint call centers now. Even the managers and supervisors in the Temple, Texas center are cutting their losses and getting outta there, at a very fast pace!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dont use my name in unknown, Wisconsin

85 months ago

I was hired to work for Sprint affiliate, Alamosa. They were a wonderful company to work for. Then in February of last year, Sprint purchased Alamosa and EVERYTHING from there was downhill. Sprint is a terrible company to work for...you never know what they are going to do from one day to the next (and neither do they!) They make lots of rash decisions. I was one of the thousands of people laid off when they decided to downsize. I always had top ratings for customer service and top scores on store audits....yet they got rid of me and kept other managers who got poor ratings on everything. When they downsized me, I had already been looking for another job, so I did consider it a blessing. Happy to say I now have a job that I like and where I am appreciated.
the only good thing I can say is that I did get a generous severance package.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Buddy in Norcross, Georgia

85 months ago

My best advice for you is to get out of the Mainstream Call Center Environment. If you have talent get some MCP's and get a job at Veritas or Symantec where it is not highly micromanaged you get paid what you are worth and you don't deal with idiots on the phone and off.--that is if you still insist on being in a call center. Try to get something software related and not geared towards the public. I got out of that environment, work 8-5 weekends off and used my education to get a better job, better hours and people who respect me. I wish you the best of luck. STop working for the cable company phone or electric company call centers and get away from the micromanagers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dameronschmitz@yahoo.com in Parker, Colorado

85 months ago

Ex in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Horrible. Ever since the merger this company cannot seem to find itself. Nextel execs under Forsee run the show and are simple minded and clueless. Stay away, then need to be absorbed.

Very true, the company still seems like 2 different companies, there are many unhappy employees due to the merger. Most employees are there just existing and do not have a clue what a career means. I worked for Sprint for 8 years and did not see it improving anytime soon.

ApexPredator in Fort Worth, Texas

84 months ago

Buddy in Norcross, Georgia said: My best advice for you is to get out of the Mainstream Call Center Environment. If you have talent get some MCP's and get a job at Veritas or Symantec where it is not highly micromanaged you get paid what you are worth and you don't deal with idiots on the phone and off.--that is if you still insist on being in a call center. Try to get something software related and not geared towards the public. I got out of that environment, work 8-5 weekends off and used my education to get a better job, better hours and people who respect me. I wish you the best of luck. STop working for the cable company phone or electric company call centers and get away from the micromanagers!

Yha nice....read my post bro!! I keep and repeatedly post for positions and keep getting shot down in flames! Given a choice would be get away from the corporation altogether!.....Sprint is the equivalent of crack cocaine....the instant fixes are great...its the long term that will kill you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

former employee - denver call center in Aurora, Colorado

84 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Sprint?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

The working enviroment since the merger has turned into a barely legal sweatshop. They have an abusive attendance policy that deductes points for absenses, tardies and even going to the bathroom. This policy is so strict I have seem employess get fired due to having sick children, cancer and other chronic illnesses. They refuse to comply with ADA regulations which is illegal but they do so anyway. Being forced to work off the clock is an everyday occurence. There are hundreds of calls waiting in queue at alomost any given time. This is rather sad as before the merger and the new regime took over this was a reasonably pleasant and easy going place to work. Avoid Sprint/Nextel at all costs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

swann in Harker Heights, Texas

84 months ago

I couldn't have explained it better !! My question is...how do they keep getting away with all the illegal stuff they do? It's unbelievable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Eagle in Temple, Texas

84 months ago

They get away with the stuff they do because the people in Temple call center are afraid of losing there job because of the retaliation that the Temple call center is known for. No one complains they just let stuff happen and if you do complain they find away to fire you. Management is not great they make supervisor and manager by how you PREY on people not your experience and how you do your job it don't matter if you been there 10 years if you are not a person who like to see bad things happen to people you don't get the job.

swann in Harker Heights, Texas

84 months ago

believe me..I know what your saying..but some of us DO say something..I was there over 6 yrs. and said plenty..and yep..they found a trumped up reason to fire me. I spoke with corporate attorneys in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio..they say there is possible discrimination cases they could pursue..but a few weeks later..they decide (after talking w/ Sprint attorneys) that they don't have time to handle the case. I know of that happening to 4 people that got termed for stupid reasons. Only thing I can think of is that Sprint either scares them..or buys them out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reporter in New York, New York

83 months ago

Hey folks,

I'm a reporter for BusinessWeek. I am very interested in speaking with current or former Sprint/Nextel employees about the workplace and the company's operations.

If you have any thoughts or good stories to tell, please email me at spencer_ante@businessweek.com and I will contact you.

Thanks very much,
Spencer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ex-employee of Sprint in Temple, Texas

83 months ago

As a ex-sprint employee(was originally with Nextel)....

From day one of the merger. In the temple, Texas call center. We saw the upper management leaving. Taking jobs elsewhere....almost overnight everywhere that was upper management were leaving with almost no notice to us. Yes, it made us all very weary but the pay was better than most around the area and no one knew exactly what would take place in the future.

Sprint has taken away nextel's ability to give great customer service and placed "sales" demands over our heads that we were not able to give the customer service that we were use to.

Sprint changed the policy for every single thing that we knew.
One day it would be one policy that was set in stone until of course you followed the policy and then to hear that the policy was then changed and you somehow screwed up.

We had to honestly worry whether our badge would work every single morning or whether our box would be waiting for us at H.R. It was extremely stressful.

I was there for 5 years, with no prior problems or no written warnings of any sort and then bam.... I was let go for a bogus reason and was told that this would be investigated. Was it? Of course not. HR did not even give me the courtesy of calling me the date they were required to so that I would know the outcome of the investigation.

It seems to me that Sprint wanted to hire someone that could pay less to and didn't have to offer severance packages since they would be new employees compared to the older ones.

I have no doubt that temple call center will not be there in two years with the rate that its going now.

nicole in Pueblo, Colorado

81 months ago

I work for sprint currently. I have been there for a while now, and I love it. yes guidelines and policies do change a lot, however there are ways to make sure we can keep up to date on them. I also work in the call center environment, and it is not that bad. The managers and sups are very understanding and willing to work with all the employees. I work for the new care/finance department, so you want to talk about constant change, I have 2 different areas to keep updated on, and somehow I, along with the other people in my group, are able to function and follow guidelines enough to all be hand picked to open this new section to the company. and in the last month we have all greatly excelled and become experts at what we do. now I am not saying this is going to be my career or anything, that’s what I’m in school for. but at this time I love what I am doing, and I am making great money at doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rebadged in Lees Summit, Missouri

80 months ago

Has anyone seen the latest news from the Wall Street Journal? After some work I talked with the reporter that wrote the story and he is interested in talking with other people that have Sprint horror stories. He would like to speak with present employees as well as those who have been canned.

He can be reached by phone or email here is his contact info.
Phone #: 212-416-3802
email: amol.sharma@wsj.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

stressed in Newport News, Virginia

76 months ago

I am currently a sprint employee and I totally agree with all the past posts. I
have been working with the company sincec 2004 and I hate my job. I have been in every department and I am currently in the retention(account sercvices)department.
Oh boy let me tell you the bonuses used to be wonderful..Then one day policy changed and then the bonuses stopped. I have not bonused since december. They took all of our tools away from us that allow us to retain the customer. I was under the impression that the retenton department was suppose to retain customers. Well, I was wrong! We cannot give free or discounted phones, discounts off rate plans(5-15%)no more free mobile to mobile and we cant even credit the account if the total credit is over $200.00.we used to be able to credit up to $500.00. Oh and not to mention that we have to handle all accounts that come through our line inmcluding government, premier, public sector and vip accounts. But get this if it is not an individual account you have to email the acccount maanager ton let them know the customer want to cancel and what you would like to offer the customer,but you dont tell the customer you just get a callback number and tell them that you will call them back in 24 hours..Now how dumb is that? This job is just torture and lately they have been sending people home because they have to many people waiting for calls. But yet they are still hiring new people so that they can get rid of the old people. I just dont understand. I know that in the beginning i said that i hate my job I do but I love helping people and this is not helping people..when you try to tell the customers that you cant help them they get upset and want to cancel..My hand are tied..If it werent from me having bills and 2 kids I would quit..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FrontSands in South Burlington, Vermont

74 months ago

I'm an Industry Analyst with Commerce Analysts, an IT/Telco research firm. We are currently researching Customer Care practices across wireless service providers. I am interesting in talking with any current/former Sprint/Nextel employees who might have share some of their insights on the Sprint Customer Care program.

If you could spare a few moments, please email me at ashley_hatcher@commerce-analysts.com.

Thanks,
Ashley

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Droopy1020

69 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Sprint?

I worked for Sprint in the call center in Temple, Texas (CLC) for 6 years and 2 1/2 months in Account Services before I was fired. Everything changed drastically after the merger because the focus went from "Customer Service" to "Sales", and once that happened then it became extremely cut throat. I have soooo many stories. But basically, it's a daily dose of never ending contradictions. I would hear "One call resolution!!" and then, at the exact same time I would hear "Next call!!". That alone, that right there tells you everything you need to know about the culture of trying to get through just a single day. It's really just the tip of the iceburg but you get the idea. Still though, I hated to leave Sprint.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat Smith in Bremerton, Washington

68 months ago

Reporter in New York, New York said: Hey folks,

I'm a reporter for BusinessWeek. I am very interested in speaking with current or former Sprint/Nextel employees about the workplace and the company's operations.

If you have any thoughts or good stories to tell, please email me at spencer_ante@businessweek.com and I will contact you.

Thanks very much,
Spencer

Hi. Your post was 15 months ago LOL. But its worth replying now. I know that Sprint has announced call center closings and layoffs. What they havent reported is an incredibly nasty method of getting employess to quit or to fire them. It is equivalent to an old non-unionized canning factory: sorting beans on a conveyor belt, the company speeds up the belt faster and faster and fines you (or fires you) for missing a bad bean. Sprint is preventing any "after call work", while requiring about 6 different things after a call. The next call comes immediately and you cant use hold. You end up with an avanlanch of stuff that you cant post to, cant solve, cant notate, cant complete. And then you get a "fail" for having not done that. It is totally unbelievably impossible. And thus you get fired. And on top of that, you end up fixing every other agents errors because they are facing this too and they cant deal with it either.

Sprint is using this as a "fair" way of firing people. They will only fire people that fail the requirements. That would be a fair way to do it if the requirements were fair. They are not. Right now the QA reasons for failing a call are LONGER than the reasons for passing.

Sadly, the few remaining employees are the new guys. They have a bubble of 90 days so havent failed QA's yet. In the Bremerton call center, almost everyone is new and very unknowledgable. That means longer calls, more mistakes, very bad customer service, nice people trying hard btw. Be nice to them. But it is not the way to improve Sprints image in the world.

Byanes39 in Queens, New York

68 months ago

aeawq

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Byanes39 in Queens, New York

68 months ago

ive recently applied for a sales consultant position for sprint out here in new york on late december. I was refered by the district manager so that was a plus i had the interview and everything. Passed the drug test and passed the backround check. 2 weeks later the manager calls me and tells me everything went through backround and drug test but the only problem is that sprint right now is in a "hiring freeze" i mean come on is that really the reason theyre not offering me a position ? than she goes on and tells me to wait 1-3 months until a position opens than theyll contact me. Like wtf!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.