DO NOT WORK FOR STAPLES

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 105)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Anon281 in Chippewa Lake, Ohio

65 months ago

The CSL or customer service lead I'm sorry to say is not a management position and if you want to go anywhere in the company, you'll avoid it. They don't hire managers out of that position because they are just glorified cashiers. It does pay more than most hourly positions and since CSL is a level 3 position (cashiers and copy center associates are level 1, Easytech associates and resident techs are level 2, and lead positions are level 3) that means you have the ability to cap out at a much higher pay than level 1 or 2 associates (somewhere in the mid to high elevens per hour). I have worked there for a couple years now and I must say it does depend on your attitude towards the job and the location. I like where I work but some stores suck. The pay isn't great but in todays economy some people are lucky to have a job at all. Dealing with customers is part of retail. LoveMeOrHateMe said he didn't want to deal with customers but probably hasn't worked in retail long. Bad customers are part of retail. DEAL WITH IT! I'm not trying to be confrontational but some people complain about staples but a lot of that can be said for most big companies. If your lazy or don't care about your job you should be hassled by the managers because its their job to keep people working. If you do what you are expected to do, then they don't usually hassle you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (71) Reply - Report abuse

HK in Liberty, Maine

60 months ago

RC said: "Have been working for Staples 43 years,as of 10-19-2010 "

I doubt that as Staples has only been around since 1986, that's 25 years, not 43 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

serb30 in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

Wow!!! I have read all of these posts... Yeah I worked for OfficeMax for 3 years out in Minnesota. I was an Assistant Store Manager my job was pretty much selling and making sure my team did. I am young and most of my team were few years younger then me so I was a cool boss. I mean we got things done and did what corporate wanted. I was ranked one of the top Assistant Store Managers in my district cuz we sold our warranty plans on laptops, printers and more like crazy. My boss on the other hand the Store Manager was a dick. He hated the fact everyone liked me more then him. I mean me and him got along since we hand too. I left the company cuz I moved back home to Chicago. Know I have a phone interview with Staples for Sales Manager this week. Is there Sales Manager like an Assistant Store Manager? Cuz my salary with Officemax was just under 50K. So I want to make close to that in a high position. I always hated Staples stores since they are dirty and never zoned unlike Officemax stores. But I'll take a chance since I need a job. But it's retail if you don't have a good team your store will be crap. I always hire people I can count on so my store always looked good and my customers got great service. To be honest I never liked selling jobs up until few years back. I rather work for Audi Dealership as sales manager but I need to put more time into a sales manager job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Insane2425 in Asheville, North Carolina

57 months ago

SERB30 in Chicago, Illinois said: Wow!!! I have read all of these posts... Yeah I worked for OfficeMax for 3 years out in Minnesota. I was an Assistant Store Manager my job was pretty much selling and making sure my team did. I am young and most of my team were few years younger then me so I was a cool boss. I mean we got things done and did what corporate wanted. I was ranked one of the top Assistant Store Managers in my district cuz we sold our warranty plans on laptops, printers and more like crazy. My boss on the other hand the Store Manager was a dick. He hated the fact everyone liked me more then him. I mean me and him got along since we hand too. I left the company cuz I moved back home to Chicago. Know I have a phone interview with Staples for Sales Manager this week. Is there Sales Manager like an Assistant Store Manager? Cuz my salary with Officemax was just under 50K. So I want to make close to that in a high position. I always hated Staples stores since they are dirty and never zoned unlike Officemax stores. But I'll take a chance since I need a job. But it's retail if you don't have a good team your store will be crap. I always hire people I can count on so my store always looked good and my customers got great service. To be honest I never liked selling jobs up until few years back. I rather work for Audi Dealership as sales manager but I need to put more time into a sales manager job.

A sales manager is the Tech Manager. IDK how much they get paid but I'm guessing it's not that great since Staples is known for their not so great pay. If you decide to go with Staples good luck, Good luck your gonna need it if it's anything like the stores I've worked in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chellymq in Modesto, California

52 months ago

I work for staples, I absolutley love my job, I am a copy and print pro. I love constantly being busy and enjoy producing a great product to the client. Throughout the years in retail I have come to encounter many lazy people who do not do their job and create many problems within the company, employees and managers alike. As an employee of any kind to a company you should strive to do your very best and with in time you will be recognized; however it does take a great amount of hard work and dedication. Answer yourself this do you show up to work every day, do you show up in a happy mood no matter what, do you follow staples polict (or the company you are with), do you come in for other people, do you get along with management, are you professional even during times of tension or stress, do you let your voice be heard and to when to state your opinon and when not to. This all comes with experience you can not move ahead unless you put your all in to it. You have to beleive in your company and the products and services it provides in order to succeed. I have been in retail of all trades for over 15 years and have only been with Staples for three months and I love it, I love everything I do and am excited to learn all departements and work my way up. Your career is what you make it nothing is handed to you in this world you have to make it happen with being professional and having a great attiude. You have to sell yourself!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

Devlin in Keene, New Hampshire

50 months ago

A in Billericay, United Kingdom said: I work for Staples in the UK and although they don't pay very well and you do have to work hard (isn't that what you are paid to do) they are a great company to work for.
We had a staggered training over a few days and keep getting refreshers on stuff.
The people I work with are lovely including the managers.
What a shame you guys in the U.S. are finding it so tough.

I believe many are just lazy and got fired so their dumping on Staples. I have worked for Staples for 12 years and enjoy my job and our management team is great! Sure we get on each others nerves from time to time but that happens working day in and day out for years. At our store I've seen employees come and go. Many later asking to return on college breaks or upon loosing a job they left for. It's a JOB and as such sorry to disappoint the others but you are expected to WORK, it's not a welfare office!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

Bluebaby in New Jersey

48 months ago

I worked for Staples for 5 years. I started out as part time and ended as the Copy and Print Center Expert. Staples USED to be a good company to work for even tho the pay was not great. Staples USED to be all about promoting within their own company and stood behind their employees. Now Staples, from store manager to district managers to rvps to everyone in Corporate, no one cares about you or the work you do. In all the meetings HR people like Maureen Ostacher talk about promoting within the company and how they have good training programs and the best and only company to work for but that is all a lie. Staples is all about the tech now and if you don't sell they could care less what happens to you. They do not stand behind their associates especially dedicated ones who have been with the company for a long time. All they do is hire sales managers from outside the company so if you worked at Circuit City or 6th Avenue or even PC Richards, you will be fine. I definitly would not suggest to anyone to work in the New York-New Jersey stores. If Staples doesn't remember its OFFICE SUPPLIES that got them to be the company they are today, it wont be long before they are gone too. I think Staples is trying to change way to fast and are forgetting who as a company they really are but who am I to say right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

icouldcareless in Minot, North Dakota

48 months ago

They don't care about the office supplies portion of the company. About a year and a half ago or so in one of the new training videos, the president of the company himself said that we half to protect the core(OFFICE SUPPLIES), however had no mention on how to. In fact, he also mentioned that we need to focus on the Copy Center and Tech sales. It's also getting to the point where they are contemplating getting rid of Office Supplies Associates and have all the floor people be EasyTech Associates running between both departments. I know will be switched if that happens cuz I am already doing their job on top of mine and cashiers'. And I am still practically minimum wage after 3 years! And they wonder why I don't get most projects done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

By the way for all you former/current Staples employees, Save-a-Sale is gone, so customers can't "order" a product from another store and have it shipped to them. They now have to go to the other store to go purchase it. The most we can do is hold it for them until they get there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Bluebaby in New Jersey

48 months ago

a sales professional in Manchester, New Hampshire said: First if you didn't like the pay you shouldn't have accepted the job. If you accepted it you must have agreed that is what you were worth as a tech....

If the management was as unprofessional as you say, it would have been professional of YOU to put a call into HR. I am sure the DM and up would want to know since often comments to employees are often over heard by customers.

Lastly, their present discount is better than it use to be..... it use to be 0. Usually the places that give you really good employee discounts give minimum wage pay.

HR and and the DM don't care. They are useless. I had contacted HR about my GM editing my punches for breaks I did not take and nothing was done. I had to say something to the RVP when he was visiting our store and it still took them 3 MONTHS to fire her. I was extrememly happy when it did happen but then that but a HUGE target on my back. Staples just sucks and is a really bad company to work for the past 2 years!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Insane2425 in Mills River, North Carolina

47 months ago

Ok so I've not worked at Staples now for almost a year, I worked a month over my 2 weeks notice because I'm a push over, but that's beside the point. Staples is a Job if your desperate, do not get stuck there. I was the Inventory Associate/ Copy Center associate/ Office supplies/ Cashier/ Bookkeeper and yeah I did all of that on a daily basis I never could get anything done ever and I was rode all the time by the Co-Manager!!!!!!! I was called 38 times over the PA to cashier in a 8 hour period..... The Office supplies people at night never did what they were suppose to, making my scans horrible which I got in trouble for, they really should of been talking to the people that worked at night!!!! So yeah Staples sucks but in this economy you have to take what you can, Me I'm happy to be out of there before I had a stroke !!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Insane2425 in Mills River, North Carolina

47 months ago

a sales professional in Manchester, New Hampshire said: First if you didn't like the pay you shouldn't have accepted the job. If you accepted it you must have agreed that is what you were worth as a tech....

If the management was as unprofessional as you say, it would have been professional of YOU to put a call into HR. I am sure the DM and up would want to know since often comments to employees are often over heard by customers.

Lastly, their present discount is better than it use to be..... it use to be 0. Usually the places that give you really good employee discounts give minimum wage pay.

DM's and HR are not going to help anyone sorry you inform you of that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JStepp in Miamisburg, Ohio

47 months ago

I worked for Staples for a little over a year. I always liked retail, despite some of the horror stories you get with bad customers and the like. But what really bothered me the most was my general manager, Ken Miller. As a person, he can be a decent individual and fair. However to his detriment, most of the time he can be found in his office for eight hours a day ( if he doesn't skip out early that is, leaving the sales or ops MOD screwed ), eating hamburgers and reading emails two or three times over. The only time he was ever out of his office was if he had to, the DM was there, or he was walking to receiving, and smoking out the back door there. I was a CSL, and got lied to. I was promised the world, and that I was on track to be an Asst. Manager within a few years if I took the job. Bull. All I did was play register jockey, with no help and no respect. Anytime I offered real solutions to raise numbers, I got " Oh just keep doing what you're doing... " Oh, but if Rewards Penetration was down? "WTF man? Why aren't you fixing it?"

So, if you ask is Staples a good company to work for? The answer is an emphatic NO! It is a company of a few good people, being exploited by lazy, incompetent fools who only post a profit by paying their workers poorly, and pushing service plans at a 70% markup to their competitors. My Sales Manager was a saint for dealing with it for as long as he did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JStepp in Miamisburg, Ohio

47 months ago

I worked for Staples for a little over a year. I always liked retail, despite some of the horror stories you get with bad customers and the like. But what really bothered me the most was my general manager, Ken Miller. As a person, he can be a decent individual and fair. However to his detriment, most of the time he can be found in his office for eight hours a day ( if he doesn't skip out early that is, leaving the sales or ops MOD screwed ), eating hamburgers and reading emails two or three times over. The only time he was ever out of his office was if he had to, the DM was there, or he was walking to receiving, and smoking out the back door there. I was a CSL, and got lied to. I was promised the world, and that I was on track to be an Asst. Manager within a few years if I took the job. Bull. All I did was play register jockey, with no help and no respect. Anytime I offered real solutions to raise numbers, I got " Oh just keep doing what you're doing... " Oh, but if Rewards Penetration was down? "WTF man? Why aren't you fixing it?"

So, if you ask is Staples a good company to work for? The answer is an emphatic NO! It is a company of a few good people, being exploited by lazy, incompetent fools who only post a profit by paying their workers poorly, and pushing service plans at a 70% markup to their competitors. My Sales Manager was a saint for dealing with it for as long as he did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

solongstaples in Durham, North Carolina

45 months ago

I've worked at Staples almost a year now. I was in need of a job and they called first (mistake #1). They call me in and say I'm promised at least 20 hrs a week but they could only afford to pay me $7.40/hr until the company started bringing in more money (mistake #2). So we all know we have our first 90 days where they see if they want to keep us or not. I busted my ass to prove how grateful I was for the job (mistake #3). I was told I would get my first raise after my 90 days, and hell I believed it (mistake #4). However, I was getting the 20+ hrs a week so I wasn'r complaining. After 4 months, my hours started dropping. I was outraged, so I went to the manager that did the schedules (mistake #5). She is one of the most incompetent human being I know. She has no morals and cannot do simple math. I went to the GM (mistake #6) and he said he'd fix it. I started getting less hours, and even went 2 weeks without working at all. If you look on the schedule, everyone has 4-12 hrs a week, except one a** kisser who I will call Bird. Now Bird is the managers go to person when they want info about associates. She listens in on conversations, acting completely innocent. Then she runs back and tells the managers. But anywho, things just got worse. I ended up having to work a second job because the pay and hours sucked (I had been there about 6 months now and still no raise). They were furious that I had a second job, so in a week, I went from 4-8 hrs a week to 22-26 hrs a week. Being a full time student and working 2 jobs became hard. So I quit my 2nd job. Fast forward to now, I've seen 3 managers leave, 3 ETE leave, 2 CPC leave, 4 associates leave, and HR practically lives in the store. It's sad when you have a job and still have to receive partial unemployment because your job won't pay. Staples doesn't give a damn about their associates. I'm turining in my 2 weeks soon..so they can add me to the growing list...I can't wait to see that store go down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

solongstaples in Durham, North Carolina

45 months ago

Devlin in Keene, New Hampshire said: I believe many are just lazy and got fired so their dumping on Staples. I have worked for Staples for 12 years and enjoy my job and our management team is great! Sure we get on each others nerves from time to time but that happens working day in and day out for years. At our store I've seen employees come and go. Many later asking to return on college breaks or upon loosing a job they left for. It's a JOB and as such sorry to disappoint the others but you are expected to WORK, it's not a welfare office!

They are clearly talking about their individual store. Your store may be better than those mentioned above. So your comment is ignorant to say the least.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

docjroberts in Traverse City, Michigan

45 months ago

Devlin in Keene, New Hampshire said: I believe many are just lazy and got fired so their dumping on Staples. I have worked for Staples for 12 years and enjoy my job and our management team is great! Sure we get on each others nerves from time to time but that happens working day in and day out for years. At our store I've seen employees come and go. Many later asking to return on college breaks or upon loosing a job they left for. It's a JOB and as such sorry to disappoint the others but you are expected to WORK, it's not a welfare office!

Sorry man, I worked for Staples for 2 years as the "Resident Tech" which basically just means on top of having to sell and work the floor by yourself as an Easy Tech for your whole 4-6 hour shift, you're responsible for all the computer service as well. I got a job offer and jumped on it to get outta there. I've already decided that if something were to happen at my new job, I'd rather go work 3rd shift at McDonald's than go back to Staples. That place was horrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

StapletheStapler in Fort Worth, Texas

45 months ago

Thing is they do NOT tell you hours are based on how you sell

In my Staples interview they said "on average employees work 20-30 hours a week" that gives the interviewee the impression that 20hr/wk is the minimum they'd start at.

In actuality new hires start at 8-16hr/wk (scheduled) though you are sent home early often when the store is dead, meaning you work 6-10hr/wk (actual)

$8.25per/hr in a ~24hr week isn't bad (not good, but it's not terrible) however you only work those kind of hours if you sell (and not in the good way, in the Sleazy McSleaze way.)

In my interview, and it's common practice, they do not disclose the salesman aspect of the job. I applied and interviewed for a stocking position and they solely discussed that in the interview, they did mention that I'd be trained as a backup cashier, but they emphasized that primarily my job would be to make sure products were stocked and inventory was accounted for.

Guess what 90% of my job is? I'm a salesman, the stocking is just a minor 'upkeep' chore when the store is dead, and the COMPANY VIDEO instructs me to stock in the least efficient way possible solely so that I can seek out customers and try to sell to them (if you want envelopes, I have to push labels on you)

Now the reason why they neglect to inform an interviewee about the salesman aspect of the job SPECIFICALLY ITS PRIORITY is because the Sales Industry operates on commission and anyone in an active interview for a sales position would ask for a commission...which Staples does not provide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

StapletheStapler in Fort Worth, Texas said:
Guess what 90% of my job is? I'm a salesman, the stocking is just a minor 'upkeep' chore when the store is dead, and the COMPANY VIDEO instructs me to stock in the least efficient way possible solely so that I can seek out customers and try to sell to them (if you want envelopes, I have to push labels on you)

Now the reason why they neglect to inform an interviewee about the salesman aspect of the job SPECIFICALLY ITS PRIORITY is because the Sales Industry operates on commission and anyone in an active interview for a sales position would ask for a commission...which Staples does not provide.

That's right. Even if your job was primarily cashier, they still push you to sell whatever maybe on the register as well as their extended warranties. Otherwise you would get scolded or even written up. And yet the managers don't do anything to help with sales. When they are put on the spot by a customer, they pass him/her onto someone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ash in York, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

The title says it all. DO NOT WORK FOR STAPLES.

I have worked there for a year now. I was hired as a cashier (yes with about 8-12 hour per week) I was "amazing" with customer service that I was moved to the copy center and then promoted to production expert with a pay raise. ANY position in Staples you are constantly barked at to up sell and hound customers for rewards cards. The protection plans this company offers is a scam. The way we are taught to sell them is to convince the customer that if anything happens to your product within the year bracket you've bought the plan for, it will be replaced completely for the X amount you paid for the plan. NOT TRUE. The plans only cover MANUFACTURE malfunctions in which case a company is already responsible for replacing. Morally speaking. So what the hell are the customers shelling out the extra money for? A scam, that is all.
And the copy center is just brutal. Despite the fact that I love being able to produce quality products for my customers and work with my hands, I loath the way we are taught to run things. Our CPC recently went best copy and since then corporate has hounded us to pretty much change everything that has initially caused us to reach the best copy goal. They tell you BIG jobs are priority and if anyone needs single copies, to turn them over to the self serve area. Not only is that rude but it takes up EVEN more time having to teach them how to use the xerox machines. This job is basically an on-call position. I've had to cancel about 60% of plans because I always get phone calls asking for help or covering another employee's shift. Now that is not the fault of my co-workers, but it seems like schedules are always being messed up. Lastly, our district manager is extremely petty. She will literally put you on her bad list unless you compliment her appearance. Not exactly the ladder I want to continue climbing. Awful company!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Liverpool, New York

45 months ago

DID YOU KNOW
I just need to share a huge concern of mine and I am sure many others IF they were aware of it.

Your benefits allow an employee to insure a Domestic Partner as long as they are the SAME- GENDER and their children. It's in all thier benefit documentation.

How on earth in this day and age can you justify that. SAME-GENDER but not your Domestic Partner of the OPPOSITE SEX???

We have come a long way to help make in this world, working HARD, to make everyone equal so I understand being able to insure
a Domestic Partner of the SAME GENDER.

What I do not understand is now you are showing prejudice the Domestic Partner of the OPPOSITE SEX???

If I was an employee of Staples and I have many friends who are I would take this to the top – it’s so so WRONG.

I feel if you work for Staples you should be able to insure any Human Domestic Partner

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Silicon Style in Cleburne, Texas

44 months ago

Five years. The fact that if you're hired on as a technician, you're expected to not only work on computers, but also the sales floor, furniture, office supply, cashier, and wherever else they may page you, you're doing work well above what you're paid for. I've had weeks where I spend more time in our Copy and Print center than in my own department, because they REALLY can't hire competent people into our C&P (not true of every store).

So, while being one of the people expected to work every department, you're also paid less than a technician working almost anywhere else. You're lucky if you even have anyone else during your shift that can bring in the paperwork for a computer, or even help in your department. It's happened many, MANY times where I'll have four or five people waiting for me on the floor, with a phone call waiting, and someone waiting to drop off or pick up a computer, with a manager or other associate standing less than five feet away not doing a thing.

You're expected to push product from everywhere. Right now, they want you to sell x amount of part orders. Yet they're starting to scold us for selling part orders instead of on shelf merchandise, regardless of price. Writing up employees for selling no service plans (which are of benefit, naysayers. I've had to use them myself numerous times) in a week, regardless of number of days worked. Yet to see hours truly fluctuate due to lack of selling them, though. That must mean one is of a high enough degree of uselessness to not warrant more hours for other reasons...

The part that grinds me the most, though? Crap pay...yet Staples pays third party merchandising crews to come in and set up displays. We have to have them out by a certain time, and they're required to show up within two weeks of set date to assemble them. If they don't show up, we have to assemble them, and they still get paid for it. That money could be spent on, I don't know, the employees you want to stay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jonhova in Covina, California

43 months ago

they do pay commission on warranties and services.

StapletheStapler in Fort Worth, Texas said: Thing is they do NOT tell you hours are based on how you sell

In my Staples interview they said "on average employees work 20-30 hours a week" that gives the interviewee the impression that 20hr/wk is the minimum they'd start at.

In actuality new hires start at 8-16hr/wk (scheduled) though you are sent home early often when the store is dead, meaning you work 6-10hr/wk (actual)

$8.25per/ hr in a ~24hr week isn't bad (not good, but it's not terrible) however you only work those kind of hours if you sell (and not in the good way, in the Sleazy McSleaze way.)

In my interview, and it's common practice, they do not disclose the salesman aspect of the job. I applied and interviewed for a stocking position and they solely discussed that in the interview, they did mention that I'd be trained as a backup cashier , but they emphasized that primarily my job would be to make sure products were stocked and inventory was accounted for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Chocobo in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

jonhova in Covina, California said: they do pay commission on warranties and services.

1 Dollar per warranty? Are you kidding me? Even techs get shafted even though their services are part of a separate pool. The only reward for selling services and warrantees is HOURS. Your GM will tell you that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JAJALYNX in Waxhaw, North Carolina

43 months ago

After reading through a lot of these posts I do have to agree with a lot of the things being said. You don't really get paid enough for what you do. I'm finding that I am constantly having to shove useless promotions, or rewards cards, or protection plans down people's throats. You might as well ignore what you were hired for because you are constantly changing positions. I go back and forth between office supplies and cashier just about every 10 minutes. It can be stressful.
That being said, I love my job. My co-workers are great. My store manager is excellent. One of the nicest dudes ever, always gives crystal clear instructions, real level headed, and is always super appreciative of everything I do. The co-manager is kind of a dick, but I can tolerate him. The rest of management is fine... No complaints. I also really like that I am expected to help out with pretty much every department. Breaks the monotony of doing the same thing all day.

So those are my thought... I guess if you're thinking about working at Staples, scope out the management first. If they're cool it could be a decent job. If they're jerks... Well, it might not be such a decent job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Changes are needed in Aiken, South Carolina

42 months ago

I cannot believe the employee abuse that goes on at this SC store! My son has went from a good nature happy person to a stressed out person in the time he has worked there. He began with a optimistic view of the company and found selling computers a fun challenge for months before the lower management squashed his positive outlook with rudeness that I personally have never heard of. He has came in many times when others call in sick but when he got sick he was told he would need a Dr. excuse the second day and not to return until he had one and the phone slammed in his ear! How can he afford to go to the Dr when his hours vary from week to week? He can't afford the plan and my Dr. won't see him unless he has a $100 physical. I have paid in the past but just cannot do it at this time! Urgent care is around $70 dollars. This company could use some training in their lower management and some team building. I see a company that instead of training employee's to work together they set them up again'st each other. I could include many details but I only hope for changes in the future for the good of both the employee's and the company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jayeevans in Rialto, California

42 months ago

I received an offer with Staples as a account manager for their copy and print/promotional product division in California. If anyone can give me some insight on this type of sales for Staples would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Grayslake, Illinois

42 months ago

@Jaye, you're going to be the person to reach out to your local businesses and/or franchises in your area. You'll be working with the in-store service expert in store and help generate the Copy Print Center business.

This job can be difficult if your home store doesnt provide you the support you need. Make sure their expectations of you are clear cut. CYA=cover your ass. I've been with the company 4 years and I've had my share of good and bad management. It all depends on them and how you handle it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jayeevans in Rialto, California

42 months ago

@Mark, Thanks for the information. I am excited but I will make sure that I get everyones expectations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Manchester, New Hampshire

42 months ago

J Presley in Santa Barbara, California said: I've worked for staples for six months and sure it sucks but not because the treat me badly but because its a relatively boring job. I love the people I work with including my managers. One of them is a dick but there's gonna be dick managers wherever you go.I get paid $8.25/ hour and sure it sucks but I work hard and it pays off. They're already looking to promote me to CSL ( customer service lead), which is a full time management position. If your lazy or dont care of course you're going to hate it, they're looking for people to boost sales and customer ssatisfaction. If you can't handle the stress stay out of retail, especially for a company as large as Staples is. I hate my job but I love my store because my manager does give a crap. Don't be a jerk and hate them because you aren't motivated enough to succeed in this company or any other.

The CSL job is nothing but lead cashier and scapegoat for middle management. You will never get placed on a management tract from a CSL position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

That's funny... I know a handful of CSLs that got promoted within my district in the past 12 months. I was a CSL, I was an ETE... only thing I wasn't was a CPC Expert. These CSLs you speak of must have been really mismanaged or maybe its the managers themselves handling poorly. In my opinion, the 3 department leads, well 4 with the IA truly run the store... the trick is to make sure they aren't the ones doing, but by making sure they manage their resources.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Changes are needed in Aiken, South Carolina said: I cannot believe the employee abuse that goes on at this SC store! My son has went from a good nature happy person to a stressed out person in the time he has worked there. He began with a optimistic view of the company and found selling computers a fun challenge for months before the lower management squashed his positive outlook with rudeness that I personally have never heard of. He has came in many times when others call in sick but when he got sick he was told he would need a Dr. excuse the second day and not to return until he had one and the phone slammed in his ear! How can he afford to go to the Dr when his hours vary from week to week? He can't afford the plan and my Dr. won't see him unless he has a $100 physical. I have paid in the past but just cannot do it at this time! Urgent care is around $70 dollars. This company could use some training in their lower management and some team building. I see a company that instead of training employee's to work together they set them up again'st each other. I could include many details but I only hope for changes in the future for the good of both the employee's and the company!

I'm really sorry to hear that your son is in that situation. It doesn't sound his management team is being fair and consistent. I hope he's feeling better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Seymour, Connecticut

42 months ago

So basically, anyone who writes something positive about Staples gets a negative comment, not helpful.... While the negative comments get yes's for helpfulness?

What a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

bad_vibes_about_staples in Phoenix, Arizona

42 months ago

listen everyone, some co-workers you will encounter there are awesome and are great people. but the corporation forces them to do some unethical things. knowingly broken and unsafe products are returned to the shelves. there are many secrets that outsiders shouldnt know but we'll tell them anyway... we have a great time, but thats only cuz individuals make that possible. we have to have a little fun cuz we work our a**** off. the schedules are inconsistent and my manager is completely annoying. theres so much expected of us and you just lose all motivation. products get lost and stolen all the time, making a pull list impossible, and when things are reported stolen, no one gives a s***.

in conclusion, staples mostly sucks because its work environment blows, but the people there are what helps the day go by.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dl in Downsview, Ontario

41 months ago

I can't believe you guys. Granted, everyone has their own experiences with the company, but I've been here for 4 months now and it's been the best first job I could ever ask for. We joke around all the time and have fun, associates and managers together. We are a team, especially during back to school hours, and yeah, sometimes someone will miss a 15 minute break. Not because they weren't allowed to take it, but because our employees are driven and WANT to be successful and make sales and take part in the success of our store. In a part-time cashier/copy centre position, I make 10.25 an hour, and I get plenty of shifts each week. I work at another job in the food industry and Staples puts it to shame. We don't even get 15 minute breaks at the food place. I'd worked 5:30 hours without a break at the other place. Yet at Staples I get a 15 minute break on a 4 hour shift (2 15s and a 30 on 8 hour shifts). I love this place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Marie5736 in Rochester, New York

41 months ago

You are lucky, I loved Staples at one time also just like you do. Granted the call center is a different environnment that the Retail Stores, but I hope you are able to keep that level of professionalism, seriously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

NJStaples17 in New Jersey

41 months ago

I've only worked at Staples now for about a month or so, so my comment may be premature, but I've also received a few calls offering me a position with them and I will ultimately decide in the coming days so I wanted some input: I applied to Staples and was hired for a position as an overnight worker during the rush, with the possibility of becoming a regular on the sales floor during the day. Due to some employees coming and going during the high-volume 'Back-to-School' season, I was instead moved to the Copy & Print Center. So far it has been less than desirable. I'm not exactly tech-friendly and in the high-demand season it's been very difficult to get the full training I feel is necessary to succeed in the department. Not complaining or saying it's a product of myself, the customers or my co-workers, but it is very difficult. My expert is very impatient and tends to lash out at her employees, and she constantly loses her temper at me for not knowing how to use some of the equipment and seeking her help on a regular basis. She even stripped me of my lunch saying I was "not productive enough to warrant one." She also does not allow her employees to use some devices unless she's present and then gets very annoyed on Mondays when she is left with a massive amount of orders--and thus begins the temper tantrums. Again, I understand why tensions would be high--but it's been a particularly difficult job and I may want to go to a more relaxed business environment in the coming weeks. Back-to-School is only another week or so, so my guilt of leaving the group in a jam will soon decrease. Give me some advice. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

NJStaples17 in New Jersey said: I've only worked at Staples now for about a month or so, so my comment may be premature, but I've also received a few calls offering me a position with them and I will ultimately decide in the coming days so I wanted some input: I applied to Staples and was hired for a position as an overnight worker during the rush, with the possibility of becoming a regular on the sales floor during the day. Due to some employees coming and going during the high-volume 'Back-to-School' season, I was instead moved to the Copy & Print Center. So far it has been less than desirable. I'm not exactly tech-friendly and in the high-demand season it's been very difficult to get the full training I feel is necessary to succeed in the department. Not complaining or saying it's a product of myself, the customers or my co-workers, but it is very difficult. My expert is very impatient and tends to lash out at her employees, and she constantly loses her temper at me for not knowing how to use some of the equipment and seeking her help on a regular basis. She even stripped me of my lunch saying I was "not productive enough to warrant one." She also does not allow her employees to use some devices unless she's present and then gets very annoyed on Mondays when she is left with a massive amount of orders--and thus begins the temper tantrums. Again, I understand why tensions would be high--but it's been a particularly difficult job and I may want to go to a more relaxed business environment in the coming weeks. Back-to-School is only another week or so, so my guilt of leaving the group in a jam will soon decrease. Give me some advice. Thanks!

If you are leaving, good for you. If you do intend on staying with the company, talk to the GM, and escalate it to DM and HR if that doesn't solve it. Again, best bet is to go to another company where they appreciate you better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

NJStaples17 in New Jersey said: I've only worked at Staples now for about a month or so, so my comment may be premature, but I've also received a few calls offering me a position with them and I will ultimately decide in the coming days so I wanted some input: I applied to Staples and was hired for a position as an overnight worker during the rush, with the possibility of becoming a regular on the sales floor during the day. Due to some employees coming and going during the high-volume 'Back-to-School' season, I was instead moved to the Copy & Print Center. So far it has been less than desirable. I'm not exactly tech-friendly and in the high-demand season it's been very difficult to get the full training I feel is necessary to succeed in the department. Not complaining or saying it's a product of myself, the customers or my co-workers, but it is very difficult. My expert is very impatient and tends to lash out at her employees, and she constantly loses her temper at me for not knowing how to use some of the equipment and seeking her help on a regular basis. She even stripped me of my lunch saying I was "not productive enough to warrant one." She also does not allow her employees to use some devices unless she's present and then gets very annoyed on Mondays when she is left with a massive amount of orders--and thus begins the temper tantrums. Again, I understand why tensions would be high--but it's been a particularly difficult job and I may want to go to a more relaxed business environment in the coming weeks. Back-to-School is only another week or so, so my guilt of leaving the group in a jam will soon decrease. Give me some advice. Thanks!

First off, call HR and tell them you've been denied meals by a measly expert. They don't have the authority to give and take away lunches. Secondly, if you have an option out take it. Don't ask questions just do it. Staples isn't an employee-friendly company, get out if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NJStaples17 in New Jersey

41 months ago

DocJRoberts in Traverse City, Michigan said: First off, call HR and tell them you've been denied meals by a measly expert. They don't have the authority to give and take away lunches. Secondly, if you have an option out take it. Don't ask questions just do it. Staples isn't an employee-friendly company, get out if you can.

What is my best route...just stop showing up. I have several voice mails that would imply other opportunities are very likely. I'd obviously follow up. But I don't want leaving in an unprofessional way to hinder me in future jobs with other corporations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

stacy14606 in Rochester, New York

41 months ago

NJStaples17 in New Jersey said: What is my best route...just stop showing up. I have several voice mails that would imply other opportunities are very likely. I'd obviously follow up. But I don't want leaving in an unprofessional way to hinder me in future jobs with other corporations.

It's not like they will give you a personal reference as they use The Work Number. Trust your instinct and do what's best for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie5736 in Rochester, New York

41 months ago

No one can take away a lunch if you work over 6 hours. It's a Labor Law, i'm sure, in NJ. If you are unhappy just think about it. There are other jobs. Sometimes HR is helpful, sometimes they are not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

NJStaples17 in New Jersey said: What is my best route...just stop showing up. I have several voice mails that would imply other opportunities are very likely. I'd obviously follow up. But I don't want leaving in an unprofessional way to hinder me in future jobs with other corporations.

Just tell the new place that you'd still like to leave a 2 weeks notice. Most places are cool with that because they'd want you to do the same while working for them if you found a better place to work. If the new place says "ahh we'd kinda like you to start now" then tell your manager at Staples to suck it and hand him/her a written notice of your last day. No need to be unprofessional in the matter and just because they treat you like crap doesn't mean you should sink to their level and just stop showing up. Be the better person ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shotgun Wedding in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

Worried in Liverpool, New York said: DID YOU KNOW
I just need to share a huge concern of mine and I am sure many others IF they were aware of it.

Your benefits allow an employee to insure a Domestic Partner as long as they are the SAME- GENDER and their children . It's in all thier benefit documentation.

How on earth in this day and age can you justify that. SAME-GENDER but not your Domestic Partner of the OPPOSITE SEX???

We have come a long way to help make in this world, working HARD, to make everyone equal so I understand being able to insure
a Domestic Partner of the SAME GENDER.

What I do not understand is now you are showing prejudice the Domestic Partner of the OPPOSITE SEX???

If I was an employee of Staples and I have many friends who are I would take this to the top – it’s so so WRONG.

I feel if you work for Staples you should be able to insure any Human Domestic Partner

I whole heartedly agree here.

My (now) husband and I had spent about 10 years in unwed bliss. That was until Staples bought out his company and Staples benefits excluded me since we were not the same sex. I had been covered under "Common Law" for 10 yrs with no issue. We were actually forced to get married in order to keep our benefits. At the time, they were the best option financially, though now I could wipe my rear with how much "benefit" we're actually getting these days...

Just sayin'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel Gunn in Seattle, Washington

41 months ago

I work at a Staples FC in Seattle and i have absolutely no problems with the company. I'm making $15/hr after being here for a year and i have great benefits. My job keeps me busy but it's simple enough. The people i've met both here and from corporate are awesome. Working in the retail portion may suck but warehouse work is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Daniel Gunn in Seattle, Washington said: I work at a Staples FC in Seattle and i have absolutely no problems with the company. I'm making $15/hr after being here for a year and i have great benefits. My job keeps me busy but it's simple enough. The people i've met both here and from corporate are awesome. Working in the retail portion may suck but warehouse work is great.

What position at a Staples store are you working that pays $15 an hour??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel Gunn in Seattle, Washington

41 months ago

I'm not at a store i'm at a Fulfillment Center. I work in the Delivery portion processing returns amongst other things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Daniel Gunn in Seattle, Washington said: I'm not at a store i'm at a Fulfillment Center. I work in the Delivery portion processing returns amongst other things.

So you don't have to deal with 90% of why people hate Staples. The treating sales people/easy tech/copy center associates (Read that all retail associates) like dirt and just a warm body in a uniform.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chews you up spits you out! in Aiken, South Carolina

41 months ago

Well now my son has been set up to be fired because he sent a email about the tech manager to the company showing once again how he is cheating to make his sales look better. He is using coupons and giving sales that are not approved for use at this time. This guy had been stealing other employee's sales that included service plans because that makes him look better and in the end gives him a higher bonus. He was a tech employee but even though they knew what he was doing they rewarded him by giving him the tech lead position!
A while ago they gave my son a write up for not coming in when they changed the schedule the night before. He went in and showed them what they did but they wrote him up anyway. This store wants you to check your schedule before you go to bed. Like you cannot have a life. This has happened many times. I have told my son many times in the past year this person is incompetent! Now Staples has called and told him he has 2 write ups and the store manager said he was suspended until they talk to human resources. Well he only signed one write up so they must have created another one or two. Now Staples called to see if he was coming to work after they said he was suspended. We figure they will create 2 write ups and fire him. Let this be a lesson to all. If someone that works at Staples is ripping off the company don't turn them in. Unfortunately doing the right thing doesn't count there. Better yet if you are a young person do not work at Staples because they will take advantage of your good nature and use you up until you figure out that they are not a team oriented company but a company that uses you up and spits you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Merp in Cape May, New Jersey

40 months ago

dl in Downsview, Ontario said: I can't believe you guys. Granted, everyone has their own experiences with the company, but I've been here for 4 months now and it's been the best first job I could ever ask for. We joke around all the time and have fun, associates and managers together. We are a team, especially during back to school hours, and yeah, sometimes someone will miss a 15 minute break. Not because they weren't allowed to take it, but because our employees are driven and WANT to be successful and make sales and take part in the success of our store. In a part-time cashier /copy centre position, I make 10.25 an hour, and I get plenty of shifts each week. I work at another job in the food industry and Staples puts it to shame. We don't even get 15 minute breaks at the food place. I'd worked 5:30 hours without a break at the other place. Yet at Staples I get a 15 minute break on a 4 hour shift (2 15s and a 30 on 8 hour shifts). I love this place.

-a part-time cashier/copy centre position, I make 10.25 an hour.

Hmm. Does not compute. I've been in every part time position in the store, for over a year, with 2 raises under my belt and only make 8.51. And maybe your staples isn't in a seasonal area. Any staples in a seasonal area lacks sufficient employee break coverage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.