Staples Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Staples?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Stacey Trivelpiece in Meridian, Idaho

86 months ago

Host said: It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Staples?

Any advice on striking the right note?

It really depends on what you are looking to do for the Staples corporation. If you are looking to work inside the store, it is broken down into several areas. Operations Manager, Sales Manager and General Manager are sometimes available after being hired and working up the ranks. If you have these experiences from another company, you might more quickly move into the "Staples" training for either the Operations or Sales Manager. To be a general manager, you often must have held both the Operations and Sales Manager position at one or more Staples.

For general Sales Associates, Copy Center, Furnature, Office Supplies, or cashier the interview is low key. Often people in High School, or College work these jobs. Some advice is to show you have good working skills in this area. Staples places a high value on customer support and solutions. Expect to be asked about these. Also you must pass a personality/work history test before an interview is granted.

If you work in the Technology/Business Machines - you have to know all the above, and the product line well. In particular, laptops, desktops, printers, and cables and software. You will be responsible often for Furnature and Telephone sales, and ink/paper; but you can pick that up as you learn.

Bring in a resume, and examples and letters of recommendations.

Please note, Staples is a very aggressive company, and very disorganized in some locations/stores. Be aware of your rights, as Staples has been known to be abusive towards employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Molly

86 months ago

I made it through the first interview. They wanted me back in for a second interview and weren't nice at all. This is in Cedar Rapids IA on Wiley Blvd SW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

DB

86 months ago

I am a former employee. (7 yrs) In my experience through the years, all interview questions are behavioral type questions as well as job specific, and situational questions. A new or existing employee should know his/her resume and know what they can contribute. He/She may go through 6 interviews from the point of HR to associates within that dept, and senior mgmt. The interviewing process at Staples is stressful. They may have you come back 2 or 3 times, so be prepared to call out sick if you are currently imployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

ANDERSON in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

86 months ago

I went through an interview with Staples almost a year ago. It was very strange. I was supposedly interviewing with a District Manager when a supposed secretary came barging in the door to the office stating that an emergency conference call was taking place and that she would finish the interview. Now, I was applying for a store manager/district manager position. Why in the world would I want to be interviewed (no offense toward anyone) by someone's secretary. The whole experience was confusing, ingnorant, unprofessional, and down right rude. I have been in the retail management realm for 30 years. It's this type of young (still no offense meant to be made toward all)immature so called managers that are giving the seasoned professionals a rough time to go. How unfortunate...they really missed out on a wonderful candidate. I wouldn't suggest anyone apply for a job with a company with so little integrity. Think twice, life is too short for the games people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Thanks For The Save! in Washington, District of Columbia

85 months ago

Ellyn,
Like you I have been in retail management (multi unit) for 26 years. Thanks for the save!
Unfortunately I find MOST retailers taking the non-integrity role with the work ethics.
All I'm looking for is some good old fashioned "people first" integrety and respect from a company that understands that it's ALL ABOUT THE people.

Well, those days are fading fast.... I've worked in the fashion specialty store and department store segment of retail. I'm 42 and am being forced into hard-lines and out of apparel. Well I can handle that but I cant handle unproffesional rude punks!!!!!! No, I'm not bitter.
It's nice to see I'm not alone!!!!!!
Helen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

J

66 months ago

The interview was strange two managers had interviewed me like a tag team for just a Cashier position. They acted like I was interviewing for a Managers position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Nikhil Joshi in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

Thanks for all the response. Can anyone tell me about their phone interview experience with Staples USA, specifically for Supply Chain Analyst position.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

kevin in Vallejo, California

38 months ago

Hi I recently interviewed for the operations manager position. I interviewed with a DM (the interview went good. He said I was a good fit) then he sent me straight to another store to interview with a store manager and a human resource manager (which i also think went well). The HR manager said the DM must really like me to push me through so fast for my next interview. I am now in background check. Does anyone know what the next step is? because it seems to me as if they're going to make me the offer but are just waiting on my background check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.