Staples News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Staples stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

EX-OFFICIO in Boca Raton, Florida

89 months ago

You watch Staples carefully as they will leave Office Depot and Office Max in the dust. They have their act together and they really know how to retail. Their employees seem satisfied, at least the ones in CS that I have spoken to.

My opinion is that any job what-so-ever that is advertised is a great opportunity and I would recommend that if you want to go with a winner, aggressively market yourself to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

oscar in El Centro, California

89 months ago

yeah staples will survive but as for happy employee yeah right i work for staples and been doing remodels and all they employees i met are unhappy.. seem that the more money they make the wroser they treat their employees

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Gary, Massachusetts in Gardner, Massachusetts

88 months ago

5/21/2007
Staples is undergoing huge internal changes to their organization and the employee's are taking a beating. Hundreds of employees have left the corporate office since last year. Many laid off with a lously severance even after 10 years of service. Most leaving becasue they cannot take the chaos anymore. I was there over 12 years and have been through many ups and downs. I have never seen it this bad. I wish the best for the company but fear this is the begining of the end. Too many wrong decisions and poor planning from a management team that lacks focus and insight. They turned their backs on the employees that made the company what it is today and now care only about profit at the expense of quality and pride.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

michael in California, Maryland

87 months ago

i just started myself. i had a good outlook when i first applied, and went through the interviews easily. then i was outraged at the payrate. i had just went through geek squad and they started at $14-17/hour. staples doesnt even pay HALF of that, was told about $8/hour. And the benefits?! depressed me. bestbuy/geeksquad had better, specially with the 5% above retail price discount. well, thhe rewards program isnt THAT bad. we'll see how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

G Durkee in Acton, Massachusetts

69 months ago

I currently work for Staples. They have no loyalty to their employees. As soon as I see a better opportunity.. I'm history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

j

66 months ago

They treat their employees like dirt and expect them to give 100% that's why it's a big turn over nobody stays here. Worst company I ever worked for very degrading to all employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Economist in East Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Well, I will be interviewing for them shortly, and the word from actual analysts who cover the retail sector is positive. I mean aside from a few sour grapes that seem to be on this forum - they are a sector leader, the Corporate Express acquisition has huge upside, and they seemed to have acted responsibly through this downturn in the economy. Heck, where else are you going to shop when you need the type of stuff found in on of these types of stores?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

MollyPDole in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

They don't need to worry abt lay-offs. The way they treat employees guarantees turnover.

The scheduling is the worst. It's a NIGHTMARE. It changes every week - don't bother telling them when you can't work, they don't listen. 10 hours one week, 30 the next, and NO, NO predictability at all, ever. And my experience is recent AND current. For $8/hour, they expect you to be available from 9 to 9 EVERY day.

This way of scheduling is just bad business, it helps Staples keep costs down. If you're not at 20 hours/week consistently, there's benefits you're just not eligible for.

So if you have no life, don't have friends you want to see, if you want to miss family events, and don't want to know what you're making from week to week, work for Staples. Their approach and attitude doesn't do anything to keep good employees or build company loyalty. And every employee who experiences this rotten attitude has friends, family and new co-workers who experience and hear abt this lousy way they treat employees, so it's also no way to build a customer base.

Atmosphere? They really want you to push, do the hard sell. There's no flexibility once the customer asks for help, they want the really hard sell. If you sell something, but don't sell thier Warranty or Service Plan, you get yelled at for not selling the Plan. They don't seem to care if the hard sell makes people walk away - push to sell the more expensive printer or computer, even if it means the customer walks out without buying anything. This could be a great place to work, if management just had some common sense!!!!

Where else am I gonna shop? Let's see... Walmart? Best Buy, Target, KMart, Amazon, Dell online?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael Garner 2 in California, Maryland

63 months ago

michael in California, Maryland said: i just started myself. i had a good outlook when i first applied, and went through the interviews easily. then i was outraged at the payrate. i had just went through geek squad and they started at $14-17/hour. staples doesnt even pay HALF of that, was told about $8/hour. And the benefits?! depressed me. bestbuy/geeksquad had better, specially with the 5% above retail price discount. well, thhe rewards program isnt THAT bad. we'll see how it goes.

Im the "Michael" from 2yrs ago. i did Staples for bout 6 months. why? because i gave my business card to everyone i met. its still paying off, i still have a handful loyal customers and their friends that have me do work for them. i worked on computer/network repair back then. staples being a part time job, my real job i was an IT administrator. i loved it when people talked down to you, thinking theyre higher, then suddenly they get suprised when they realize i design systems. suddenly they change from "you high school nitwit" to a big eyed idiot after you school them. like i cared, that job was frustration. i broke all the newbee sales records, and for some odd reason i expected something, got nothing. its different when youre an actual engineer selling things and not a salesman dressed in technician clothing. place is for losers or people who for some reason cant see beyond their box. people been workin there 5+ yrs content at $7/hr at full time with horrible benefits are insane and probably need to see the doctor unless for some special reason ( i cant figure out). 1yr, probably fine if youre in your teens, but at 20s, then 30s... unless youre a manager, its a waste of time. it takes 3-4months to obtain 3 IT certifications that will easily land you 40-50k jobs, staples is no excuse. this is no offense to those that work there, and if you do, this is my way of saying WAKE UP, youre wasting time, get your degree and work your way out of there asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

life is full of knocks in Island Falls, Maine

60 months ago

I would sincerely think twice before hanging your hopes of worthy employment on this sinking flagship. Pay for associates around minimum wage, the store's profits are in decline, they are cutting managment, rescinding wages and demoting personnel. Now if you don't mind upheaval, instability or if you like the challenge and thrill of retaining a job in this arena and atmosphere or you are a seeker and don't mind looking for that next job because this company offers no security, well then this company may be just right up your alley. Go for challenge if you dare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

JHAWK in CHICAGO, Illinois

50 months ago

If you guys think Staples is bad to work for try Officemax. Officemax without a doubt is the most miserable to work for. I wouldn't let my dog work for them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anon281 in Chippewa Lake, Ohio

48 months ago

Ok well first off yeah the pay sucks. Yes the company is drastically changing and they are eliminating positions but there have been very few "layoffs" recently and by that I mean they eliminate the title but not the person. They are more geared towards selling and are projecting that their tech services (easytech: kinda like geek squad) will be the fastest growing department. Staples trys to sound innovative but is really copying bestbuy on most things. The company is one of the most financially stable at the moment so don't let people tell you staples is gonna go out of business in 2 years. Given the changes, you have to be ready to sell extended warranties and you have to be a hard worker to survive in todays staples stores. Easytech associates will usually make $7.75-9 usually per hour so it isn't great pay but its a job (cashiers and office supplies make less (usually $7.30 which is minimum wage). Part timers aren't guaranteed 20 hours so thats a mute point. Usually in retail the hours are sporadic so if you work retail thats pretty much a given. You can make requests off 2 weeks in advance if you have a family function or just want a certain day off so plan ahead. I think that pretty much answers and addresses previous posts. Thanks for reading and hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Long Timer in Boca Raton, Florida

46 months ago

Back in the "old" days at staples you were rewarded for talent, loyalty and willingness to work by more hours, higher pay, and bonuses. The bonuses were the first thing to go with ever changing goals. Then they put the squeeze to the stores on how many hours. Now you will never earn a pay increase on merit, and most of the over 5 year employees have been told they are no longer eligible for even a 2% raise because they "make too much". $9.00 an hour is too much for an employee who is the highest selling sales associate in the store? You start at basically minimum wage, maybe $.40 higher if you work in the high stress copy center. I've seen those employees in tears due to the way they are stressed out.
As for the part timer thing, well, if they like you and you are halfway intelligent you will be given as many hours as possible. Some of the part timers were getting 35 hours a week, every week, because they were good workers. Other than that, there's no hour guarantee-just like any job-and moost stores here do work with school/second job schedules.
Forget "passing out your business card"-that is a fireable offense due to it being competition with the store, I"ve seen now four really good employees get fired for doing that when the outside job customer comes to the store looking for them.
Forget "moving up", they hire from outside first, only promotiing from within if desperate.
Staples used to be a great company to work for as an employee, now all they care about is numbers and not the employees, even if you've busted your butt for 8 years and made them a ton of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Just an Average Guy in Perth Amboy, New Jersey

46 months ago

EX-OFFICIO in Boca Raton, Florida said: You watch Staples carefully as they will leave Office Depot and Office Max in the dust. They have their act together and they really know how to retail. Their employees seem satisfied, at least the ones in CS that I have spoken to.

My opinion is that any job what-so-ever that is advertised is a great opportunity and I would recommend that if you want to go with a winner, aggressively market yourself to them.

I know this comment is ancient, but I just had to reply...

Hey, ex-officio, are you a director/VP/high-level manager within Staples? Or, do you hold a boatload of their shares? Satisfied employees? Just how many did you speak to?

Great opportunity? How do you figure that? Work for a couple of years for $10 or less per hour, and MAYBE they'll consider you management material, and make you-GASP!-a department "supervisor", and toss you a 25-cent raise? Then, wait another few years to become an operations manager, perhaps in the high 20k-low 30k range? Yeah, hello...have fun enjoying the bread, rice, and beans you'll have to eat while "advancing" up the ladder...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Anon281 in Chippewa Lake, Ohio said: Ok well first off yeah the pay sucks.

The understatement of this forum!!!

Anon281 in Chippewa Lake, Ohio said: They are more geared towards selling and are projecting that their tech services (easytech: kinda like geek squad) will be the fastest growing department.

As a network/systems admin who got laid off in late 2008 during the beginnings of the economic crash, and struggled mightily to find reasonable work (I was at $55k in '08, was looking for jobs paying HALF that!), once unemployment ran out, it became "take what you can get"...and made the horrific mistake of accepting a P/T position as an EasyTech. More on that below...

Anon281 in Chippewa Lake, Ohio said: ...you have to be ready to sell extended warranties...

THIS-in and of itself-is my #1 gripe with Staples. Before I worked for a decade-plus in IT, I had a position (not retail, per se) that required strong customer service skills...and I was very good at it. I can sell a customer any tech equipment, but do NOT judge my performance on selling some piece of crap "service plan" that I don't believe in-simply because there are so many clauses and disclaimers in them, the customer gets screwed 99% of the time. Staples wants to judge me on my tech chops and customer skills? No problem...service plans? Get outta my face!

Anon281 in Chippewa Lake, Ohio said: Easytech associates will usually make $7.75-9 usually per hour so it isn't great pay but its a job

I almost fell out of the chair when the GM offered me $8.65/hr-less than ONE-THIRD of my salary two years ago! My wife worked p/t as a cashier for $8.50 elsewhere-you're telling me my skills are worth 15 CENTS? And that's the other thorn; My store's "EasyTech Expert" knows less about computers than the average 3rd grader, but she can sell those damn plans...and, the moment I started displaying my technical prowess...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

(continued from above)...my hours got cut (from about 30 to 16-18), and all of a sudden, the "Expert" and the other tech guy were handling all the "repairs", and I was relegated to "floor duty". I'm not stupid-they see me as a threat-which I'm not getting, as I have ZERO desire to move up THEIR corporate ranks...I just wanna fix computers the RIGHT WAY, quickly and efficiently.

It is stunning that these guys, and the clowns at Geek Squad, have succeeded in ruining the overall reputation of technical support staff everywhere...worse yet, comparing services legitimately, what they charge for half-*ssed work is robbery relative to that of an experienced tech who charges $30/hour and up...at least the REAL tech will stand behind his work-once you leave Staples with your computer, if you come back in a week with a problem, you get charged all over again...and their $69.99 "diagnostic fee" is an obscenity, since no work, repairs, or fixes are done for this pickpocketing.

You want office supplies? Go to Staples.
You need tech support? Go online and find a LEGIT support company; local, privately-owned...in the end, you'll do much better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

easytech no more... in Palmyra, Virginia

31 months ago

All the comments about how staples has no loyalty & treats their employees badly are valid in my opinion based on my experience. Before I started, tech sales averaged from $300 to $700 per week. After 6 months I was able to build it up to $2000 to $2500 per week. Just shy of a year therethe district manager gave my gm authorization to give me a $1 per hour raise. This was September. By January the gm STILL hadn't even put in for it. When he finally did, it was repeatedly rejected by payroll. I didn't get the raise until June. After having a long talk with the gm, he admitted if he had put in for it when he had authorization, this wouldn't have happened. I told him I felt I was entitled to retro pay for the 9 months I had to wait. He assured me he agreed completely and would fight to get it. By April of next year I find out he had done nothing to get it. Shortly after that I quit. The district manager who knew about this the entire time was there that day. He was always praising my work & effort to others for the way I boosted & maintained easytech. But he didn't even have the courage to face me that day. All in all I was out more than $1300. Bottom line in my opinion, find somewhere else to work. I know all locations can't be judged by the indifference & outright incompetence of mine, but if corporate will allow this to happen at any store, they just don't care. All they have to do is follow the paper trail. I have my own local repair business now & I took a large chunk of their clients with me. It was me they enjoyed working with anyway...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

icouldcareless in Minot, North Dakota

31 months ago

You know, every thing that I have read from above that is wrong with Staples is correct. Except that Staples doesn't care about the sale. They do want the sale. they also want the customer to be happy. so they end up failing because they want it all. We actually had 3 people quit in the last 2 weeks! and we now have basically a skeleton crew as a total staff. and they still have us down to minimum wage for newer people and the maybe 5 cent raise each year for us who's been here longer. right now half the store is looking for a new job, including myself, full time and part time. Turnover is expected for this company. Not because people leave after done with school, but because they can't stand it here. in fact one guy quit with no other job lined up at all before he quit. The only reason why I haven't done the same is because I haven't found a new job yet, and finding a job here is like a needle in a haystack. unemployment you might ask? won't qualify if your a student. whatever the case, don't apply for Staples unless you absolutely need a job so badly that you would sell your soul to the devil, because that is what you would do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

now_what in Glen Oaks, New York

29 months ago

So, As a loyal Staples employee of 10 years, I have watched this fantastic company grow. Started as a part time associate, and worked my way through the ranks to a leadership position, with an unparalleled skill set and years of proven success and relationship building.

I was laid off last week, Friday the 13th, on my 10 year anniversary. My position was a valuable, and profitable one. My lay off was nothing financial, but a means for the company to change tracks and attempt different things.

Disgruntled? No... Upset??... no... more like heart broken. This company attempts to change things too often, and doesn't give anything enough time to evolve. They can, and will be successful for many years to come.

Decisions need to be made, and people more important than me were laid off as well.

I just fear that our leadership is too concerned with Stock holders and wall street, and not with the bettering of the business or employee satisfaction.

if I was a the leader, Bottom line would be high priority, but customer and employee morale are priceless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

MtMiss in Arlee, Montana

29 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Staples stack up against the competition?

I have looked at the replies to this query and am disgusted. If these are indeed Staples employees, to be quite frank, they probably suck as workers. They appear illiterate, negative, and very degrading of the workplace. If you bring hard work ethics, intelligence, and a positive attitude to a work place, you will be rewarded. Up and out so to speak. If your boss is inept, perhaps the next go getter will replace that person. Don't downplay employment, if your company is turning south, help turn it back around. Offer suggestions, work, and a good attitude. It will pay off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

easytech no more in Charlottesville, Virginia

29 months ago

MtMiss in Arlee, Montana said: I have looked at the replies to this query and am disgusted. If these are indeed Staples employees, to be quite frank, they probably suck as workers. They appear illiterate, negative, and very degrading of the workplace. If you bring hard work ethics, intelligence, and a positive attitude to a work place, you will be rewarded. Up and out so to speak. If your boss is inept, perhaps the next go getter will replace that person. Don't downplay employment, if your company is turning south, help turn it back around. Offer suggestions, work, and a good attitude. It will pay off.

Honestly, this sounds like someone (like a GM or DM) who works for the company and is trying to save face, or this person has been fortunate enough NOT to have been screwed over by their boss. Either way, who the hell are you to judge people by writing "They appear illiterate, negative, and very degrading of the workplace." Truth is, people are screwed over all the time by large corporations. I worked with many associates (and assistant managers) who also brought "hard work ethics, intelligence, and a positive attitude," who were rewarded by being demoted, humiliated and sometimes terminated because they refused to cover for our general manager's lack of ability. If you work for Staples and are trying to save face, then that can be understood because you're just following orders (like any good robot,) but if you are the other type who thinks Staples cares about you, all I can say is WAIT UNTIL IT HAPPENS TO YOU!!! Write back when it does so we can see how it has helped your attitude and outlook towards this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.