How to get a job at Starbucks Coffee.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Host

Do you work at Starbucks Coffee? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Seattle, Washington

93 months ago

A common way to gain entry for some jobs is to be hired on after temping there for a period of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (118) Reply - Report abuse

penelope gaither in Sparks, Nevada

93 months ago

I have applied several times in the Reno and Spark Starbucks but never get an interview. I only want to work part-time because I have a full-time job alreay. I want to work for starbucks because the associates always seem to be having fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Arizona in Mesa, Arizona

91 months ago

I applied for a District position with this company in PHX. I have food/service casual dining, retail and Coffee experience. My customer counts in one day, tripled what they do in a week. When you apply online, the #5 question is your salary expectations... I can see by the immediate response I received via email that I was not qualified was because my salary is much more appreciative than what they offer. I interviewed a few of their managers in the past as well... About 25-30,000 is what you can expect to pull out of them. Doesn't pay the bills does it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (70) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

Julian in Tennessee in Smyrna, Tennessee

91 months ago

Go during the heavy seasons, Christmas, early summer, or when colleges are out and people graduate and leave the company....

Give your application to the manager, and have a very bright and upbeat attitude and you'll almost always find an interview.

They are almost looking for Actors...or people who can come into work and no matter what be happy and reflect that onto customers...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (107) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Valerie in Fort Wayne, Indiana

91 months ago

I'm finding that with a lot of employers. They want the education & experience but don't want to pay for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Rich in Cumming, Georgia

91 months ago

Brian in Arizona in Mesa, Arizona said: I applied for a District position with this company in PHX. I have food/service casual dining, retail and Coffee experience. My customer counts in one day, tripled what they do in a week. When you apply online, the #5 question is your salary expectations... I can see by the immediate response I received via email that I was not qualified was because my salary is much more appreciative than what they offer. I interviewed a few of their managers in the past as well... About 25-30,000 is what you can expect to pull out of them. Doesn't pay the bills does it.

Please note that if you are looking for a position in management, it depends on the standard of living within the state. Do not give up. I've been with the company for ten years... and although the initial pay may not be what you want, it is a company you can grow into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Rich in Cumming, Georgia

91 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Starbucks Coffee? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Go to the website... if you are looking for a salary position, it is a great way to get your application in the loop.
If you are looking for hourly, see what stores are opening up in your area - I say this because it is a little easier to get an interview for a new store than a store that is seeing little to no turnover. One of the struggles for applicants is getting an interview. That is because the company has a goal of 75% or less turnover in a year! Think about the fact that your fastfood places have 150% - 200%. In this, I can speak to my store that spent almost a year and a half without any turnover at all. Go to that store you frequent, and be upbeat. Managers tend to spend only 5% of their working week, or less, on interviewing. If you think about that, it is really hard to schedule all those interviews of all those applicants. Managers are working managers; spending between 25 to 32 hrs a week on the floor side by side with their employees. Lastly, fill out the application entirely and with good attention to details. The more you put in, the more you get out - True of any job application.

Good Luck! I'm hiring in Woodstock Georgia if you're interested (Crabapple and Houze Road)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

judy kaufman in Chicago, Illinois

90 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Starbucks Coffee? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I am considering Starbucks or Borders coffee shop, Seattles best. Need part time with benefits. Do you know how much Starbucks pays? Thanks,JUDY PS I was a bartended for years, will this help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

NL in Denver, Colorado

89 months ago

To be appointed to a Starbucks Corporate position, is the process one in which you need to know somebody who knows somebody who can speak with somebody to ask if that somebody is aware of the resume that would most benefit the company and not just fill the position with the personal friends and previous working associates. I have tried to input my credentials into the corporate offices, and no matter how quickly your resume is submitted, someone elso is already being strongly for the newly posted position. The corporate circle of closed interviewing seems to be the same as a wagon train circled for protection! I assume the best and the brightest are not coffee baristas, or maybe even coffee drinkers. I prefer a frap, or some tasty coffee cake in the summer heat!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

summerteeth in North Hollywood, California

89 months ago

ask your nearest starbucks when they're having their next job fair and go to that. it's a quick way of processing your application and interview all in one shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

boo boo kitty in Gresham, Oregon

89 months ago

If you've tried to be a barista directly through starbucks, and have no luck. Try going to a grocery store like Safeway that has a Starbucks Kiosk in it. They typically hire easier. The training is exactly the same as an actual starbucks, and It may help you get experience for an actual starbucks store. I used to train newbies at a Safeway Starbucks. Grocery store benefits are also better as long as you get at least 20 hours a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

john in Duarte, California

88 months ago

Trust me when I tell you to stay away from this company. A total waste of time and talent. I have worked for them for over a year and am ready to throw in the towel. They work you to death. It is all a propagabda that SBUX is one of the best companies to work for. Do not fall for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Pei-Hua (ASM) in Issaquah, Washington

88 months ago

John, I feel sorry for your experience with Starbucks. However, there are a lot of partners (managers) out there who really care about the teams and try to develop their partners. Starbucks may not pay you well, but if you had a right manager, you would benefit a lot. But again, if you are looking for high-wage part time job, definitely not in Starbucks. I've been having fun working at Starucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Billy in San Diego, California

88 months ago

Does anyone know the average pay for a district manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Unanimous in Ontario, California

88 months ago

I went to a job fair two times and the first time I was told that the would give me a call to let me know what went on. The second time i was given a second interview and I thought that I had made it. Unfortunatly, I didnt make it. I decided to go to a store personally and give my application to them. I was gaven an interview and she told me she would call me by Friday to see if I got the job of not. Friday came by and nothing. I decided to call back and she had told me that she had already called her applicants. I think that Starbucks is a bunch of B*S* because during the interview they make it seem that they would hire you and they make you seem that you are what they are looking for. As time goes on they dont call and they just mess with you.
How can i get a job at Starbucks? That is my goal to obtain a job at Starbucks
Please Help with suggestions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Joe

88 months ago

test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

me

87 months ago

idk wat to do!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

jkelly in San Diego, California

87 months ago

boo boo kitty in Gresham, Oregon said: If you've tried to be a barista directly through starbucks, and have no luck. Try going to a grocery store like Safeway that has a Starbucks Kiosk in it. They typically hire easier. The training is exactly the same as an actual starbucks, and It may help you get experience for an actual starbucks store. I used to train newbies at a Safeway Starbucks. Grocery store benefits are also better as long as you get at least 20 hours a week.

Not entirely true in my experience. It seems that the execution of the training plan suffers a bit because the scheduling guidelines for many licensed stores are not held to Starbuck's standard. I have been with Starbuck's (company operated stores) for nearly a decade and I have had to re-train many licensed store partners to some extent (I have two on my staff as of this posting, and they are fantastic!). It is absolutely true, though, that at the very least, when a manager sees that you have familiarity with the Starbuck's lineup, i.e. drinks, retail, coffee offerings, your application will jump to the top of the interview pile. From there, it's all about the face-to-face. Make it happen!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Taylor in Tracy, California

87 months ago

I need to find out for a school project th salary and amount of hours? please I need help please respond

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

jkelly in San Diego, California

87 months ago

Taylor in Tracy, California said: I need to find out for a school project th salary and amount of hours? please I need help please respond

salary for which positions and in which part of the country? these things can vary quite a bit just with your geographic locaton, not to mention skill level and length of time in position. the hours are pretty straightforward: if you are salary, you are required to put in 40 hours and can probably expect an hour of o.t. each week. for hourly partners, it is entirely decided by 3 things: 1.your availability and desire for hours, 2. the business needs of the store and number of partners on the schedule, and 3.your plans for advancement. the reason for #3 is that i've seen partners with open availability in high-volume stores working only 15 hours a week because they are comfortable there. conversely, i have also seen high-performing partners in slow stores getting 30-35 hours a week because they want to advance and learn the business, they have the desire to be more than comfortable where they are so they create opportunities to do so. hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jo Jo in Lynnwood, Washington

82 months ago

Good luck.........they announced layoffs today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

QuietLibra in Ontario

76 months ago

I recently applied at a Starbucks in downtown Toronto. Not my ideal place, but I figured I'd apply everywhere I can. They called back 3 hours after I applied and set up an interview! However, I've been applying at a closer location several times and have no luck. I'm hoping that maybe if I work at the starbucks downtown for a while I will have more experience and will be able to move to a closer location.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

johnwayne in Mcdonough, Georgia

62 months ago

The best way is to go in between the hours of 2p.m. and 4p.m. Make sure that you give your application and resume to the manager and let them know why you want to work there. Approaching the manager shows that you take initiative and want the job and going during the hours of 2-4 pm tuesday - Thursday allows the manager time to talk with you usually.

If you have a degree in business the manager will usually want to talk with you but you will need to show them that you are a servant leader and are willing to work hard. If you are not able to get through this way speak with the area district manager but only if you have a business degree and are willing to drive for your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Pequannock, New Jersey

59 months ago

Hi Amanda

I had my first phone interview for a District Manager Position here in NJ NY area.
Would you have any ideas as how to ace the second and third inteviews.
Any ideas as to the questions or what answers they are looking for.
Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Mike

Amanda Rich in Cumming, Georgia said: Please note that if you are looking for a position in management, it depends on the standard of living within the state. Do not give up. I've been with the company for ten years... and although the initial pay may not be what you want, it is a company you can grow into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

nicole24nyc in Ridgewood, New York

56 months ago

Julian in Tennessee in Smyrna, Tennessee said: Go during the heavy seasons, Christmas, early summer, or when colleges are out and people graduate and leave the company....

Give your application to the manager, and have a very bright and upbeat attitude and you'll almost always find an interview.

They are almost looking for Actors...or people who can come into work and no matter what be happy and reflect that onto customers...

Hi,i want to get a job at starbucks from 3 moths,but i still didn't get the chance to go to interview yet,what do you guys advise me to do????
They called me from a location to go and work there,and when i went to interview,it was another than ho i talked to,and he said they don't hire,what you guys would advise me to do????
Thank's,
Nicole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Starbucks Mom in Mooresville, North Carolina

47 months ago

Amanda Rich in Cumming, Georgia said: Please note that if you are looking for a position in management, it depends on the standard of living within the state. Do not give up. I've been with the company for ten years... and although the initial pay may not be what you want, it is a company you can grow into.

Curious... my 19 year old daughter started there (Overland Park, Kansas) a couple months ago--part time. She loves the job, she loves the people and loves the company in general. Unfortunately, the minimal pay is making it hard for her to live on. She doesn't want to leave, but just can't make it on that pay. It seems her boss loves her and she is getting full time now, sometimes even over time. She has leader qualities and great work ethics (she worked for me for a year and was my best employee!) but told me she has to be there for 6 months to a year before she can go into management. Is that true? She'll be broke and homeless by then.
Thank you!
The Mom

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JoJo in Kernersville, North Carolina

47 months ago

Hi Starbucks Mom. The usual practice is for baristas to work 6 months before being promoted to shift supervisor but I have seen it happen sooner. I think it is at the discretion of the store manager and the district manager. It also depends on the needs of that particular store. If they already have enough shift supervisors she would most likely either need to transfer to a different store or wait for someone to leave or step down at her store.
The bigger problem I see for her is that the shift supervisors only make about one dollar more per hour than the baristas. You don't say whether your daughter is a student or if she is hoping to make a real career out of management at Starbucks. It takes an extremely long time to move from shift supervisor to asst. store manager and at least as long to move to store manager.
Starbucks was hit hard when the economy tanked and closed over 600 stores in fall 2008. They also eliminated the positon of ASM altogether at many locations. Staff at all levels are under enormous pressure from higher up the line to do more and more with less and less. The store managers now do the work of the ASMs as well as their own and they work many hours on the floor in addition to all their administrative duties. The shift supervisors are under pressure to keep up with some of the tasks previously handled by ASMs and SMs.
I have seen many Shift Supervisors decide that the burden and responsibility of all they do and all the heat they take isn't worth the extra dollar.
The opportunities to rise above shift supervisor are extremely scarce.
I hate to sound so negative but that truly is the way things are.
I would suggest that your daughter speak with her manager about opportunities.
Hope this helps and all the best to her. It is a pleasure to work with happy ambitious people like her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Starbucks Mom in Mooresville, North Carolina

47 months ago

Thank you so much for your help. That was a lot of good information. I will have her speak with her manager directly. She is looking to work at a place in Colorado that provides room & board with the pay, but wants to keep Starbucks at least part time. Hopefully she can transfer. I have never seen her enjoy a job so much, so I hope it works. If not, I'll bring her here to North Carolina! ;-)
Thanks again for your response!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

David in Tulsa, Oklahoma

35 months ago

Are benefits (in particular insurance) really as good for P/T as for F/T? I forget if it's company paid or not. If not, does one pay more than if working F/T? Thanks much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.