State Chemical - US Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at State Chemical - US?

What do you like best about working at State Chemical - US? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

sammy in Chicago, Illinois

99 months ago

Anyone know much about this company? Good products, tough sell? Good company to work for? I can't believe no one has discussed this company at all being such a large company. Any feedback is great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marko in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

99 months ago

I am considering a position with them, as well. But, like you, I have not been able to locate anyone with past experience with them.

jimmy in Galena, Ohio

98 months ago

anyone? i'd like to know something, anything about them.

98 months ago

jimmy in Galena, Ohio said: anyone? i'd like to know something, anything about them.

I've been in the field with one of the managers and other sales reps and everyone was cool. They don't give you much of a guarantee, but it appears to be an easy sell so you should start making some money right away. They look at it as running your own business. I don't think you can get rich at this job, ($40-$60k annual avg) but I do think you can make a decent living working for a good company that treats you right with good benefits. Also, you get a small office allowance to help cover business expenses, I think around $400 per month and more if your volume is big enough.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who works for them or has worked for them.

jimmy in Galena, Ohio

98 months ago

thanks for the information. I assumed, and i could obviously be totally wrong, that it would be not the easiest sale since you would be competing with Cintas and other major companies. I also thought that many companies would not necessarily want to deal with State Chemical because they would just go to the local store and buy the disenfectants and aerosols, and other products. Another thing that concerns me is that it seems they are hiring in every city in the country. I know sales is tough and has a higher turnover rate than most industries, but this concerned me. Thanks again. Hope everything goes well in your new career.

ken

98 months ago

I've worked for State Chemical for twenty years. I like the freedom of doing whatever I want whenever I want. If I don't feel it that day, I go fishing or run errands or do something I enjoy. I've won many expense-paid trips, bicycles, electronics, awards, cash bonuses etc... It can be everything you make it to be. State Chemical is a conservative family-owned company that owes no debt. In three years they'll be 100 years in operation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

Thank you for the info. I begin my work with State in a week and a half and am excited. The things that you mentioned are exactly why I decided to join State and am glad to get confirmation from you, someone with experience. My market is small, not a lot of big businesses. What type of companies do you suggest I target first as I start learning the products? Also, is $60-$75k per year realistic earnings after first 12 months? Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stephen23 in Marietta, Georgia

96 months ago

I worked for SIP for 2 years...and to be honest they probably have the best products on the market for industrial cleaning products, that being said they are also the most expensive too, so to answer your question, income is all a matter of how good your territory is. I had all of north Ga and it was a great territory, but unless you are a real go getter and open new business and can sell product that often times is 2times more to companies that are already satisfied with who they use right now, its gonna be tough. My first year I made around 45k, and I busted my butt. BUt like I said..its all about margins and quantity of goods sold. Good luck but there are better sales jobs out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jimmy in Xenia, Ohio

94 months ago

just wondering how your new career is coming along marco.

94 months ago

I didn't stay long. Not my kind of gig, Pitch, Demo, & Close. More for someone who doesn't have much sales experience, or for someone who has that kind of sales experience. My trunk was full of cleaners, degreasers, deodarants, no place for my golf clubs! I felt like a traveling salesman. If it is your thing, it's not a bad place to work. I'm from more of a professional type of background, but thought I'd give this a try. Management was cool, but they micro-manage to the hilt. They are a little corny, pushing sales people to leave voice mails with success stories about how much they sold to a customer and forwarding the voice mails to the entire sales team to hear 5-10 times a day. They are overpriced, but customers who use their products know that they are superior and worth the money. I heard nothing but great things from the end users. Pay was ok, but you gotta sell a lot of stuff. They push an annual company sponsered trip as incentive to reach sales goals. Not to sound unappreciative, but I'd rather have a better commission plan and pay for my own trip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

chemrep in Columbia, South Carolina

88 months ago

Marko in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: I am considering a position with them, as well. But, like you, I have not been able to locate anyone with past experience with them.

I worked for SIP and they had 4 price increases in 2 years. Their products are expensive so you spend most of your time trying to justify the high price. I was supposed to have an established territory but found that the customers had not bought in years. They push you for new accounts in the beginning because they know most "rookies" don't last more than 2 months. It is commission only so be ready to work hard and call on your friends to make a sale. It's a job until you find something better but not a career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

WPetes in Redford, Michigan

86 months ago

I was with the company for almost 10 years. The micro managing only got worse as sales began to fall off. Plus they kept raising prices and as you lost customers they would not assign any, even from empty territories. It became all about how much the owners were making and less and less about quality and loyalty. Since leaving, I have found a good job with a growing company in the healthcare field. I love it! No more voicemails.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.