What's the company culture at Stericycle Inc?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

Every business has its own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Stericycle Inc?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Stericycle Inc?

Reply - Report abuse

Jermaine Johnson in Waukegan, Illinois

79 months ago

I would not recommend working for Stericycle, Inc. I worked there for several years out of pure desperation and hope to make it a better place but bottom line the company does not pay their employees well. I've never worked for a company that had so many complaints on a daily basis; it was an extremely negative environment. The drivers complained about very low pay, one man to a truck and having no lunch break what so ever! Constantly jumping in and out of the trucks, they had to load and unload medical waste on every stop with a high risk of needle stick injures from Aids patients and who knows what else, plus with tremendous pressure from upper management to hit all extremely overblown nearly impossible pick-up schedules. The drivers for Stericycle are so miserable that they in-turn greatly upset the customers which only causes more problems. The plants where they process the waste are unbearable and your stomach will not be able to take the smell in the summer. Everyone is low paid, understaffed and absolutely miserable, office employees included.

Stericycle completely takes advantage of their customers by charging the most ridiculous rates and annual increases to collect their waste simply because they can as the largest biohazard waste collector because they constantly buy out their competition. Their latest scam is OSHA Compliance services which they charged medical facilities, small doctor's offices, vet clinics, tattoo parlors or anyone who generates medical waste, enormous monthly rates for a service they could get absolutely free from OSHA or at a fraction of the cost from a real certified consultant. OSHA will undoubtedly be the downfall of this company.

In fairness the company does have a few qualified and great people working there but they simply don't last long because upper management has a serious dark side. If you're looking for short term employment go for it but if Stericycle doesn't change their ways and get rid of the many bad seeds soo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jermaine Johnson in Waukegan, Illinois

79 months ago

I would not recommend working for Stericycle, Inc. I worked there for several years out of pure desperation and hope to make it a better place but bottom line the company does not pay their employees well. I've never worked for a company that had so many complaints on a daily basis; it was an extremely negative environment. The drivers complained about very low pay, one man to a truck and having no lunch break what so ever! Constantly jumping in and out of the trucks, they had to load and unload medical waste on every stop with a high risk of needle stick injures from Aids patients and who knows what else, plus with tremendous pressure from upper management to hit all extremely overblown nearly impossible pick-up schedules. The drivers for Stericycle are so miserable that they in-turn greatly upset the customers which only causes more problems. The plants where they process the waste are unbearable and your stomach will not be able to take the smell in the summer. Everyone is low paid, understaffed and absolutely miserable, office employees included.

Stericycle completely takes advantage of their customers by charging the most ridiculous rates and annual increases to collect their waste simply because they can as the largest biohazard waste collector because they constantly buy out their competition. Their latest scam is OSHA Compliance services which they charged medical facilities, small doctor's offices, vet clinics, tattoo parlors or anyone who generates medical waste, enormous monthly rates for a service they could get absolutely free from OSHA or at a fraction of the cost from a real certified consultant. OSHA will undoubtedly be the downfall of this company.

In fairness the company does have a few qualified and great people working there but they simply don't last long because upper management has a serious dark side. If you're looking for short term employment go for it but if Stericycle doesn't change their ways they will fall soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stericycle bitea in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

That post hits the needle on the head Stericycle is by far one of the worst companies to work for. If you think the drivers are miserable, try working in their customer service department oops I mean Customer Experience that’s the biggest joke! You are constantly getting yelled at by customers because of all the ridiculous price increases and over inflated charges. To make matters worse they have training for about a week throw you with a "mentor" and then on the phones (we won’t even start on their non user friendly systems and processes that seem like a 4 year old compiled them). No one tells you how you are doing unless you are doing something wrong. Don't ask me what the supervisors do because as far as I can tell they hound the CSR to get back in queue to take calls when they sit around laughing and playing all day even the “Customer Experience Manager” (who by the way never even formally introduces herself, nor do any of the supervisors). They have all this backend work to do for customer service yet if you are doing it for too long you get a call to get back on the phone. They don't give 2 craps about the customers nor the employees. They want you to quote article 2B of their terms and conditions to justify the constant price increases to customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

cCustomer Service Reps have the ability to do absolutely nothing but hand things off to other departments and have things go through every one but the president of the United States to be approved only to leave the customer waiting in limbo. They have team leads there that won’t take a customer call if we have 500 million calls in queue they'd rather watch the queue and call you to get back on the phone, not finish up with one customer first, but hop right to the next. Then wonder why there are so many errors that take place no one ever has the time to finish anything. Yet they give the leads time to over scrutinize your work and reject what you’ve done (mind you it was in between customer that you did this work) and count this rejections as apart of your performance. They offer over time for you to finish so that should be ok right!!!! The employees have the worse attendance because there are no clear policies in place, and the supervisors don’t set precedents for the employees to follow because half the time they are late or absent themselves. I can’t tell you the last time I had a monthly review well I can’t even tell you the first time I had one, so your expectations you never know but no one hesitates to tell you you are doing something wrong. I don’t know what’s worst part of the job but the best part of the job is when you leave for the day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

All the departments are snooty and rude to you it’s like you have to provide better customer service internally than to the actual customer. I’ve never worked amongst such immaturity before in all my years. Some CSR reps literally yell at customers and outright disrespect them, makes you wonder were the monitoring for quality assurance falls in to play. To make a long story short Stericycle should go down in history as being one of the worst companies to work for by far. I truly pity the customers who have been locked into 5 years agreements (that by the way auto renew for another 5 years) with such a terrible company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Vivian Wood in Apopka, Florida

66 months ago

I recently applied for a sales position in Atlanta. I interviewed with the hiring manager and when I tried to follow up on the interview she never called back or even e-mailed to let me know the status. I left 5 voicemails and 5 e-mails. Someone in the management role she is in should not be intimidated to speak to those not getting the position so why couldn't she send an e-mail or a letter. How unprofessional. I hope she doesn't treat her customers that way. Who is their competitor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sky34 in Illinois

64 months ago

I like Stericycle. The company culture is Business Casual, jeans on Fridays. I have worked for quite a few large corporations and Stericycle has been the best experience so far (out of Allstate, Grainger, HSBC, Comcast, etc.).

No company is perfect. This company has been experiencing growing pains, but the people who work there are generally friendly, helpful, and fun to work with. There is limited office politics (especially compared to places like Grainger). There are a lot of advancement opportunities.

I understand where the people above are coming from, customer service especially is a tough, tough, job. I started my career a long time ago doing customer service for Ameritech and heard many of the same complaints. I worked at customer service for a few other companies and in general it is a hard, underpaid, at times unrewarding job. I used it as a springboard into another corporate area, and considered my time doing it "paying my dues".

The work out in the plants are similarly hard, they process medical waste what do you expect? Sure it smells, it is essentially a trash disposal company. Trash smells (especially in the summer).

The benefits the company offers are awesome, and are as good or blow away the benefits of much larger companies.

Really though, the job and company are what you make of them. I know many, many, people who really enjoy working for Stericycle, but like they say you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Jermaine wrote this:
Everyone is low paid, understaffed and absolutely miserable, office employees included.
Simply not true. Sure the company is a bit low on their compensation rates, but you have to understand why. They have grown so quickly that they are now a large company but still at times have a small company attitude. This will go away, and the compensation will increase to benchmark levels of other corporations.

I highly recommend working for Stericycle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

tgreen35 in Indianapolis, Indiana

58 months ago

I worked for Stericycle for about 5 years and until recently they really never recognized the good work of employees. There is a lot of negativity and bad attitutdes. When I first started, I had a 10 minute training class and I was put on the phones. They gave me a little script to read, but no information about what the customers would be calling in about. There is so much favortism among certain supervisors and employees it's ridiculous and some supervisors have no problem sharing your personal information with other employees and that's just wrong! I was there for about 2 yrs before I ever got a review and then another year before my second one. It was just a hot mess working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Vivian Wood in Apopka, Florida

58 months ago

tgreen35
Where are you working now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn Flesher in Grafton, West Virginia

55 months ago

I work for a small company in WV, we own funeral homes. We recently aquired 4 funeral homes from the industry giant Service Corp International (SCI). When I called Stericycle to change our pickup service from twice a month to once, they sent me a 5 year contract that doubles their charges when I cut the service in half. They said because we are a small company they can't offer us the same rates as the contract with SCI. Really, for the same or less service? Do they think I am stupid enough to enter into a 5 year service contract that says they can raise their fees at will, with no limit? I really do feel sorry for their customers locked into a contract. I called another local funeral home owner who told me he is in his forth year of the contract and is now paying three times the rate they offered me, for the very same service. I will be sure to let him know to notify them so they won't automatically renew his contract. However, we are required by law to have a medical waste provider and I have been unable to find another provider in my area, there just aren't any. Stericycle pretty much has a monopoly. So I have contacted the state attorney general, the state department of health and human resources who regulate medical waste, and will be contacting the federal trade commission and OSHA, if necessary I don't know how this companies sales reps sleep at night.
They use misleading contracts to sucker in small companies and hold them hostage by state and federal regulations. I'm not playing this game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

unhappy in indy in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

I work in the warehouse and have for over 4 years. I have no problems with the pay or the benefits. Some of the managers do play favorites. They let the temp agency hire people without a background check and it is a nightmare. People stealing from your locker and even your lunch. There have been break ins out in the parking lot, so it does no good to keep things locked in your car. You aren't allowed to go out to your car on lunch breaks, so you are stuck eating in that cramped break room with all the noise. It is like being back in high school. We have to wear scrubs with no pockets. We can only bring in water in a sports cap bottle. Some of us can't even have that because of the area we work in. In short, we are treated like a bunch of prison inmates. It wouldn't be a bad place to work if they would screen people better and trust their employees more with a few more freedoms. Oh and while I am complaining, they changed our schedule to 8:30 to 5:00pm supposedly to help with parking and accommodate our customers. It does neither. It makes my commute time home longer because of traffic and I use more gas, so it costs me money. Do you think they care, absolutely not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Douglasville, Georgia

47 months ago

Does anyone know anything about the pharmaceutical waste field technician? What are the working hours like? I know there's extensive traveling involve. Is there a uniform or do technicians wear what they want to wear? Also, are you in "the field" alone or do you work in groups?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ahayes14 in Decatur, Georgia

40 months ago

Job Seeker in Douglasville, Georgia said: Does anyone know anything about the pharmaceutical waste field technician? What are the working hours like? I know there's extensive traveling involve. Is there a uniform or do technicians wear what they want to wear? Also, are you in "the field" alone or do you work in groups?

So did you ever find out the answers to your questions stated? Because I'm going to a job fair soon for that position (Pharmaceutical waste field technician) and would like to know if found out those answers???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tdi200 in Indianapolis, Indiana

40 months ago

well i started this job last 2 weeks as a return processor, the best thing is u alowed to sit on a chair, but timings and breaks sucks u not allowed to go in ur cars!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Orlando, Florida

34 months ago

Theres a job position open here in Apopka Fl for 3rd shift plant worker. Can anybody with knowledge of this position tell me what the pay is please?? Also 3rd shift is graveyard shift correct? I am trying to supplement my income and I have a 9 to5 job so I am looking for a graveyard shift so it wont interfere with my other job. I'm pretty good at working with waste and dirty environments but I need to know for sure how much the pay will be since I need to see if it's worth my time. I currently make $21/hr at my current job and I would like to start at least $11/hr if possible. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Safetyforstericycle in Jacksonville, Florida

4 months ago

I would not work for this company ever again for any amount. I was a dock supervisor in Jax and we wore improper uniforms and constantly got bio fluids on us, not to mention who knows what else. In 2010, I started to have weird medical conditions in which to date the doctors have not figured out what is wrong. We should have been issued bio suits as I kept asking the safety advisor for and was told they were too expensive. I was let go in 2010, due to medical reasons and was the top guy before I left and yet kept getting passed up for promotions and the raises sucked too. I worked my butt of for 12.45 an hour and after 1 year received a .10 raise. No room for advancement, not a safe place to work and plant supervisor and manager reward bad workers and over work good ones. I know cause manager installed video cameras, so he had to know who was screwing around on cellphones and no working and who was getting killed getting over worked, but didn't seem to care unless there was a workman's comp claim by good worker injured. I hope OSHA does a ssurprise inspection and sees the computer outside on the dock during a rainstorm. Hint hint. But if you take a job here good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.