Some terms in Stryker, help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

f2f in New York, New York

75 months ago

hello all, i am applying for some position in stryker, I need your help with some terms that I am not sure about, please help me out.

1. AS400 experience
what's AS400?

2. query writing
is this one kind of programming language?

any idea? Thanks for your answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

case31 in Indianapolis, Indiana

75 months ago

AS400 is a computer that is typically used in a warehouse/manufacturing environment to manage functions such as inventory and resource management, ordering, and shipping/receiving.
Query writing is a concept, not specifically a programming language. The idea is that there is a data store, which can be a traditional database, a file, a document, etc, that you are trying to extract information from.

As a warning, if you are applying for a job that requires experience with these concepts and technologies and you don't know the basics behind them, you won't last 2 seconds in the interview and would be wasting their time as well as yours.

75 months ago

Hi Case31, so thankful for your clear answer! I have experience of similar tools, I think both AS400 and query writing act like some function of ERP system for a company to handle all the related resources and data records. Am I right?

Thanks very much for your kind warning, I think it should not be a problem to learn how to use those tools. But till now I haven't been asked about questions related with AS400, does it happen during the phone interviews or f2f interview? Btw, I know you were hired by Stryker, would you please tell me when did you take the formal gallup test? before the f2f or after?

Have a nice day!

Matt Smyth in Phoenix, Arizona

75 months ago

f2f check out wikipedia.org for various terms and concepts you find in job searches to help you understand what jobs are looking for and don't fear applying to jobs that look like a 2/3 fit. Remember the job description is generally an ideal candidate and rarely does someone fit everything asked asked for.

Good Luck and don't forget to ask good questions in your interview about the company. Go to youtube and search interview tips for some good video do's and don'ts

Matt

75 months ago

Thanks Matt! You are really nice and helpful to me. Encouragement, that's what I need right now. Thank you for the kindness and suggestion! I do watch youtube often for the interview tips and will keep working hard to get my ideal offer.

Tomorrow I will have my formal Gallup test, I think the best way is to be myself instead of trying to be tough and too pushy(I was a little bit misled by some posts here), pleasant teamwork is also important at Stryker, right?

Matt Smyth in Phoenix, Arizona

75 months ago

Definitely be yourself, but have some ideas of what your weak areas are and how to answer the question to highlight your strengths.
Like...."I haven't worked with system X, but I have worked with system Y. I'm a great learner and taught myself the system quickly. I even helped train and mentor new employees." Look for opportunities to highlight any major things you may have done. Don't think you don't have any major things. Everyone does. You just need to think of skills that are transferable from one job to what they are looking for.

The only somewhat "pushy" things I have been told by recruiters prepping me, is to ask the interviewer as you are sitting down to the interview something along the lines of, "Before we start, can you give me an idea of what qualities you feel an ideal candidate would have?" The intent is to gain that information up front as an aid for you to draw examples from your own experience that highlight the qualities they want.
Next, have 3-5 questions ready for the interviewer that are good...my favorite is to learn a little about the coporate culture by asking, "In your opinion would you consider the company organization pretty flat or more vertical with pretty formal lines of communication?" Another is, "Can you tell me what you like best working here at ______?"

After you have asked your questions to the interviewer and the interview is ending...assuming you still want the job, try to leave them with a positive impression of you associated with the job..."Well, based on everything I've learned about the position, and my background experience, I'm still very excited about the opportunity, do you think I'd be a good fit?"
It sounds a little pushy I admit, but you have hopefully built up a little connection with the interviewer by this point and while you may not get a definitive ,"yes I think you'd be a good fit," just by asking you are separating yourself from the other candidates.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Matt

BadgerBall in Minneapolis, Minnesota

75 months ago

matt offers good advice, but you can figure out where you stand during the f2f interviwe in 5 minutes. Does the interviewer ask alot of questions? Are the questions more than the typical fluff? What is the body language? What is the flow of the interview?

Managers make snap decisions within 5 minutes. A positive reaction elicited from them is key with those 5 minutes. You are either going to click with the managers or you aren't. When I did my f2f, I clicked with 2 product managers, both hr managers, but i know 2 managers weren't that interested, and one didn't know the first thing about interviewing (probably a newly promoted manager). That being said, it probably didn't help that the 2 i didn't really connect with were the most important (one a VP, another a tenured and respected manager). needless to say i wasn't offered, but things worked out.

Just be relaxed and roll with the punches. By noon, you are going to be sick of the process. It's easily one of the more exhausting and grueling interviews I've been though. You might be getting ahead of yourself though, the Gallup is a monster hurdle for most apparently.

75 months ago

Thanks Matt and BadgerBall, very impressive points!

I need to take a deep breath...Tomorrow I will take the Gallup, will let you know the result, no matter how the result is, I have learned a lot from you guys~

75 months ago

f2f,

I actually do not work for Stryker...yet. I'm in the interview process right now. I've taken the pre-gallup and passed, then interviewed with the RM, and will now take the full gallup on Monday. Good luck.
I agree with the advice given by Matt and Badger. If you can make the interview more of a back-and-forth conversation instead of your traditional interview. Remember, it's not just a matter of getting the company to like you...it's a two-way street.

75 months ago

BadgerBall in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: matt offers good advice, but you can figure out where you stand during the f2f interviwe in 5 minutes. Does the interviewer ask alot of questions? Are the questions more than the typical fluff? What is the body language? What is the flow of the interview?

Managers make snap decisions within 5 minutes. A positive reaction elicited from them is key with those 5 minutes. You are either going to click with the managers or you aren't. When I did my f2f, I clicked with 2 product managers, both hr managers, but i know 2 managers weren't that interested, and one didn't know the first thing about interviewing (probably a newly promoted manager). That being said, it probably didn't help that the 2 i didn't really connect with were the most important (one a VP, another a tenured and respected manager). needless to say i wasn't offered, but things worked out.

Just be relaxed and roll with the punches. By noon, you are going to be sick of the process. It's easily one of the more exhausting and grueling interviews I've been though. You might be getting ahead of yourself though, the Gallup is a monster hurdle for most apparently.

Sorry to hear that things didn't go well during the interview process. When I had my f2f interview, I didn't feel I made a connection with the manager, but I continued to press on and display my skills as best I could. It took a week and a half to find out that I passed that hurdle and will take the full gallup. I was warned that for this position in particular, that only those graded as "A candidates" will move forward from here...and only about 1 in 10 people are graded as an A candidate. We'll see how it goes.

75 months ago

I believe that BadgerBall will get a better offer elsewhere, sometimes we need a little bit luck in job hunting. Wish you good luck!

I just finished my Gallup this afternoon, the lady was really nice and patient to repeat the questions when I could not get them. Although I am not sure if I can pass that test and be accepted as a "fit", I have been honest and done the best, that's enough.

case31, Good luck to your Gallup next Monday and be prepared to give examples to support your answers.

75 months ago

f2f in New York, New York said: I believe that BadgerBall will get a better offer elsewhere, sometimes we need a little bit luck in job hunting. Wish you good luck!

I just finished my Gallup this afternoon, the lady was really nice and patient to repeat the questions when I could not get them. Although I am not sure if I can pass that test and be accepted as a "fit", I have been honest and done the best, that's enough.

case31, Good luck to your Gallup next Monday and be prepared to give examples to support your answers.

Thanks. I feel like I did really well on the Gallup and should find out today or tomorrow if I'm moving on. The test moderator gave me some good advice before I took the test. He said to avoid "interview answers", meaning don't dance around an answer with interview speak. Answer questions directly. He also suggested to keep examples less than 30 seconds as the test is timed. If you don't answer every question, that reflects negatively on your assessment.

75 months ago

Hey case31, the lady said the result would be available this Mon or Tue, but till now there is nothing from Stryker, I guess I might have some problems. I didn't do very well in the Gallup test because I could not get the meaning of some questions, it's my problem of English comprehension.

Anyway, I have tried my best and been completely honest, there is nothing to regret.

75 months ago

Well, I just found out that I didn't make the cut. I was told only A candidates move on, and I scored a high B. Close, but not close enough. I'm sure had I answered a question just a little differently, I would have scored an A.
Nothing I can do about it now. I know there will be more openings in my area that I will be considered for in the near future. At least I've passed this step and have established contacts with the company.

75 months ago

case31 -

I dont want to be a hater, but not passing the gallup is a biggie. I dont know how truthful, but i've heard of a gallup failiure sticking to one's name for quite some time. Don't hold your breath on Stryker. It's one thing to pass and not mess with specific manager, but not getting the grade on the gallup, i dont know.

75 months ago

case31 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Well, I just found out that I didn't make the cut. I was told only A candidates move on, and I scored a high B. Close, but not close enough. I'm sure had I answered a question just a little differently, I would have scored an A.
Nothing I can do about it now. I know there will be more openings in my area that I will be considered for in the near future. At least I've passed this step and have established contacts with the company.

hi case31, sorry to hear about that. "When a door close, a window opens", that's true, you'll get what you want.

Guess what, I just got the call from stryker and was invited to the f2f interview, I wonder if this is the last round since I didn't talk to the hiring manager yet. This is my very first f2f interview in the US, I really have a lot to do to prepare for it.

Thanks you folks for all the help~

75 months ago

BadgerBall in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: case31 -

I dont want to be a hater, but not passing the gallup is a biggie. I dont know how truthful, but i've heard of a gallup failiure sticking to one's name for quite some time. Don't hold your breath on Stryker. It's one thing to pass and not mess with specific manager, but not getting the grade on the gallup, i dont know.

I agree. About two months ago a family friend who is an 18-year Stryker rep and his manager (not the same one I interviewed with recently) met with me to talk about the industry and the company. I was told then that scoring as an "A" candidate is obviously ideal, but scoring a "B" isn't a deal-breaker. When a position opens up in their department, I will have that rep going to bat for me as well as some quality face time with that manager.
Now for this particular position I was interviewing for, an "A" score on the gallup was required, and I was told this ahead of time. For what it's worth, the manager called me himself to let me know the unfortunate news (better than getting the form email or no response at all) and then spent 10 minutes or so telling me what I could do to help my chances in the future, gave me his cell phone number and personal email to keep in touch. Maybe I'm just the eternal optimist, but he certainly was under no obligation to do that.

I haven't given up yet.

75 months ago

Forgot to say good luck to you f2f. Just try to exude confidence and ready to prove that you will do anything to crush the competition.
Come back on here after your interview and let us know how you did.

75 months ago

case31 in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I agree. About two months ago a family friend who is an 18-year Stryker rep and his manager (not the same one I interviewed with recently) met with me to talk about the industry and the company. I was told then that scoring as an "A" candidate is obviously ideal, but scoring a "B" isn't a deal-breaker. When a position opens up in their department, I will have that rep going to bat for me as well as some quality face time with that manager.
Now for this particular position I was interviewing for, an "A" score on the gallup was required, and I was told this ahead of time. For what it's worth, the manager called me himself to let me know the unfortunate news (better than getting the form email or no response at all) and then spent 10 minutes or so telling me what I could do to help my chances in the future, gave me his cell phone number and personal email to keep in touch. Maybe I'm just the eternal optimist, but he certainly was under no obligation to do that.

I haven't given up yet.

lol. pretty much the same line they gave me. all I'm going to say bro is that you weren't that close if you didnt pass the gallup. Stryker is a company that puts it's money on inherent personality traits. The traits associated with successful individuals at various positions are not going to change until Gallup provides data to Stryker proving. The Gallup identifies your traits, guess what, it's hard to change life themes for the next interview. I would spend alot of time doing one of the following :

1. develop your inside network currently at Stryker

2. get with another company, kill it, then reapply.

I am doing option 2.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Time will tell. Like I said, the Sales Manager for recon wants to bring me in when the position opens up later this year. A non-"A" on the gallup is certainly a setback, but until I get a "no" for the recon position, I'm staying positive about the whole thing.
I have some other device opportunities outside of Stryker in the hopper too, so for the moment I'll focus my efforts there.

Not much else I can do...

75 months ago

good call. focus on the opportunities at hand. Kill it there and Stryker will want you. Shift the leverage.

75 months ago

BadgerBall in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: good call. focus on the opportunities at hand. Kill it there and Stryker will want you. Shift the leverage.

Cool. Keep me updated on your progress and I'll do the same.

74 months ago

hi all, I failed the f2f interview. I didn't like the company after one day visit there, so I took the result quite well. Stryker is not for me. I have got a better offer elsewhere. Thank you all for the help. Good luck!

74 months ago

f2f in New York, New York said: hi all, I failed the f2f interview. I didn't like the company after one day visit there, so I took the result quite well. Stryker is not for me. I have got a better offer elsewhere. Thank you all for the help. Good luck!

Wow. Sorry to hear that. What company do you have an offer with?

74 months ago

it's a company in NC, sorry I don't want to share the name of the company. Good luck to you, case31, I really admire people working there.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.