How to get a job at Stryker.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

Host

Do you work at Stryker? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

not me in Bellaire, Michigan

101 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Stryker? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I work at Stryker. My advice for anyone trying to get into Stryker is to turn around, walk away and never look back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (121) / No (61) Reply - Report abuse

not me in Cadillac, Michigan

100 months ago

wwv in Midvale, Utah said: Was considering trying for some of Stryker's corp jobs in Kalamazoo/Portage. Are you speaking about their Sales jobs(which I fan into 1st hand and I agree with you) or about the company as a whole?

Thanks

My suggestion to "walk away" applies company wide. My experience is with the Instruments division, though I understand that the philosophies at Instruments are common of the corporate culture as a whole (not surprisingly). While Stryker "rewards" hard work and performance, one must understand that these are defined at a much higher level than outside of Stryker. What is considered outstanding performance at another company would only be regarded as average performance at Stryker. With that said, if you are okay with a substandard starting salary, if you would like to place your family and personal life second to the advancement of the company, if you like long, hard hours working under extreme pressure with inadequate resource support (people), and if you want your past experience to count for squat in lieu of the "vast and superior" knowledge and wisdom of the Stryker veterans, then this is probably the company for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

JFo in Richland, Michigan

97 months ago

I currently work at Stryker and have a completely different opinion than the one posted previously. Stryker commands respect in the marketplace as a company that consistently delivers results (20% growth EVERY YEAR since the inception of the company) and that doesn't happen by accident. At Stryker, you are given substantial autonomy and are expected to deliver results. Trust me when I say that this culture of accountability is not for everyone (see previous post). If our sales reps don't hit their quota, they won't be around for long...we simply can't afford to keep them around if we expect to bury our competitors like we do. If that last two sentences frighten you, do not apply. Stryker hires competitors, those who strive to be the best, those who don't make excuses, who love conquering a challenge and thrive in a fast-paced environment. The company has been rated by Fortune as one of the best companies for Leaders. The fact is, there are a multitude of opportunities for advancement in this company, but the rewards go to those that work hard and find a way to "win" through adversity.

I definitely respect the previous opinion; hope this post highlights a different perspective.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Not one of you in Mckinney, Texas

96 months ago

Sounds a bit uber alles?

And a WHOLE lot like Enron (and many others) before their fall.

Good luck on the arrogance and where it leads you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Minneapolis, Minnesota

96 months ago

I second that. I worked for Stryker and it was an awful company to work for, I would NEVER recommend anyone to work there. not focused on products but rather bottom line. doesn't focus on what customers have to say... All in all not a good company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Josh A in Metairie, Louisiana

93 months ago

This is in response to (Not Me). Although you wrote your comments months ago I still felt compelled to reply.

Not Me said:
"While Stryker "rewards" hard work and performance, one must understand that these are defined at a much higher level than outside of Stryker. What is considered outstanding performance at another company would only be regarded as average performance at Stryker."

Welcome to exact reason why they LOVE hiring prior military officers. I was just hired, and have spend the last 8 years dealing with "real" stress. The hassles of the typical American life dimmed in my eyes after watching a subordinate step on an IED. We then picked up the pieces and continued our mission. Above and beyond everyday... or you die. Yet, we don't ask for praise. Instead we are told we could have done better.

I don't need somebody to tell me that I did well to feel better about myself. I'm also not too upset about my salary... $80K with benefits to start seemed competitive to me.

Focus on the job and not the reward... you'll see that you move faster up that ladder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

tommy_gunn in San Diego, California

92 months ago

Well stated Josh A, congrats on the hire. This is the reason I will apply with Stryker also. I don't need reasons or pats on the back to work hard, that is part of showing up every day.

Best of luck with the new gig, and thanks for serving the last 8 yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bjorn Boyer in Provo, Utah

90 months ago

What is so bad about Stryker that you would advise to just walk away?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

llisaraye in Kalamazoo, Michigan

90 months ago

I am still in the interviewing process with Stryker. I have endured the 2 phone interviews as well as 3 hours of onsite interviews with 5 different area managers. I find it quite refreshing to know that Stryker actually cares if you fit within their work community or not. When these companies hire anyone that walks in they are never quite able to compete in the global market because they do not have the same goal within their workforce. Everyone has to want to be the best and have pride in themselves as well as their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BadgerBall in Minneapolis, Minnesota

90 months ago

llisaraye in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: I am still in the interviewing process with Stryker. I have endured the 2 phone interviews as well as 3 hours of onsite interviews with 5 different area managers. I find it quite refreshing to know that Stryker actually cares if you fit within their work community or not. When these companies hire anyone that walks in they are never quite able to compete in the global market because they do not have the same goal within their workforce. Everyone has to want to be the best and have pride in themselves as well as their job.

i bet you are interviewing for the position i got shot down for recently. worked out though, got a similar position with another company. Stryker's loss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

trip in Moss, Mississippi

90 months ago

I was wondering if anyone who has done the onsite interviews can give me an idea of what to expect i.e do they review resume with you, have you take proficency tests, ask more behavioral questions, etc. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

May I ask how far you were into the interview process before you were "shot down"? What simular comapny did you go to afterwards?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tommy_gunn in sunny beaches, California

90 months ago

Well written BadgerBall, sorry to hear you didn't get the job. But sounds like you landed on your feet and got a better one. Thanks for the details, that is great insight. Pharma is truly a difficult field to enter, and most enter through connections or referrals. You did very well for an online applicant. Hopefully that wasn't one of your red flags. You should be (and sound like you are) very confident that you would have been the best man for that position.

I am going through the process with Eli Lilly, and hoping to get in the door with Stryker and Novartis soon. In Cali these jobs are practically killed for.

And hey, Badgers in Sweet 16, I'm rooting for them, at least till they meet UNC.
;-)
My dad is a UW-M grad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BadgerBall in Minneapolis, Minnesota

90 months ago

YOU KNOW IT!!!! GO BUCKY!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

I went to school at UNC@Chapel Hill....GO TARHEELS! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Stryker is a non-smoking establishment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nb_jobseeker in solon, Ohio

89 months ago

I have my first phone interview ("Get to know you" interview) with Stryker day after tomorrow but they have considered my resume for a position that I dont want and had not applied for. I had applied for a different position. Is there a chance that they might consider me for the original position I had applied for if I tell them that I am really interested in that position ? Should I make this clear to the HR person or should I just go ahead answer her questions for the Personal interview anyhow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mahwah Employee in Morristown, New Jersey

89 months ago

Firefly100 in Harriman, New York said: Of all the Stryker locations (geographically) and functions (sales, ops, R&D, HR) what is the least desireable combo?
Is it Mahwah, NJ ops? Is that the one w/least morale and highest turn rate?

My vote goes for Mahwah NJ Ops as by far the worst combo. Low morale throughout nearly every Ops function, the highest turnover I've ever seen or heard of in any organization, a completely ineffective Operations VP, and a lack of support from the top brass - who focus on sales so much it is to Operation's detriment. They are not given the tools, management, or support needed to be an effective department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sean Create in madison, Connecticut

89 months ago

I am just starting to work with a recruiter on an opportunity with Stryker. I think my personality in terms of drive, and work ethic, would compliment what they are looking for. But, I wonder if I can meet the expectations as a single parent. It sounds like I would have to hire a nanny to pull this off! I have a home office now and sell medical devices so my life is busy as it is. I know I could sell Stryker in this marketplace, but what about the time commitments? Does anyone know how may hours and evening etc are expected? Also, the other person who mentioned ego trips and not letting people intimidate you was right on. Be yourself! You are in charge! Its your job and your future. You choose them, not the other way around. (in the end get the job but don't take any crap. Don't let people demoralize or offend you. It sounds like Stryker wants to hire people who have high expectations of themselves and continually raise the bar for improved success. In our line of work as sales pros, we need to survive through competitive edge--survival of the fittest. A never say die attitude and a constant desire to be better than the next person have to be two constant themes. I love challenges, but I wonder if I can realistically pull this one off???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ivshadow in New York, New York

87 months ago

Stryker, Definitely the worst job experience I ever had.... Managers and higher up are insulting, and I agree with not me in Cadillac, Michigan, What would be exceptional work in other company would barely get any notice in Stryker, your in probation for the longest time, and after probation you still get harrass most of the time about your work.. even if you didn't do anything wron , they'll harass you to do more then what you are expected... they have little or no training you should also note that you probablly only last no more then 5 years if you dont choose to leave the company which I did but while I was there, I see people get fire left and right... they really do expect you to put the job first before EVERYTHING.
The only good thing I can say about stryker is after working there any other company you work for seems so much easier ... I also give them one other thing putting them in their resume is a big plus

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mahwah Employee in Morristown, New Jersey

87 months ago

ivshadow in New York, New York said: Stryker, Definitely the worst job experience I ever had.... Managers and higher up are insulting, and I agree with not me in Cadillac, Michigan, What would be exceptional work in other company would barely get any notice in Stryker, your in probation for the longest time, and after probation you still get harrass most of the time about your work.. even if you didn't do anything wron , they'll harass you to do more then what you are expected... they have little or no training you should also note that you probablly only last no more then 5 years if you dont choose to leave the company which I did but while I was there, I see people get fire left and right... they really do expect you to put the job first before EVERYTHING.
The only good thing I can say about stryker is after working there any other company you work for seems so much easier ... I also give them one other thing putting them in their resume is a big plus

Stryker is everyone's worst job experience, lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ivshadow in New York, New York

87 months ago

Mahwah Employee in Morristown, New Jersey said: Stryker is everyone's worst job experience, lol.

Funny.... Yeah it seems alot of people has had problem with Stryker....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Popescu in London, United Kingdom

85 months ago

Stryker is the worst company in terms of managers...And is a joke saying they have compliance comitee...managers are really punishing people, discrinate people and they have a bad behavior business wise.I am talking about Stryker Emea...Stay away from this Company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Popescu in London, United Kingdom

85 months ago

Popescu in London, United Kingdom said: Stryker is the worst company in terms of managers...And is a joke saying they have compliance comitee...managers are really punishing people, discriminating people and they have a bad behavior business wise.I am talking about Stryker Emea...Stay away from this Company...Harasment is a day to day word if I am reffering to Stryker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Searchingstill in Delton, Michigan

84 months ago

cheeseboots in Bridgewater, New Jersey said: Once you pass the HR phone interview you will be given a chance to speak with the hiring manager. If you pass that hurdle, you will be granted a "life patterns/themes" interview that is performed by the Gallup organization (same people as the Gallup poll). The life themes interview really is their (Stryker's) clearing house for candidates. If you pass that, then you will be considered a "good fit" for the organization and will be offered an onsite interview. If you don't pass, don't take it too hard - most don't. The questions such as "are you willing to put the company first?" can be tough to answer honestly. Make your choice as to how honest with yourself you are willing to be upfront. The goal is to look for best fit between company and candidate. If you are not honest with yourself then it will come through the life themes interview. If you are honest with yourself and you’re considered a “good fit” then you will most likely be successful at the company.

I applied online for an Assistant Counsel position and several hours later received an email to complete the online Gallup Poll. Is this a new procedure since I had not yet had a phone interview or the other steps previously outlined?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gallop Poll in North Adams, Michigan

81 months ago

I'll be honest with you, I got a job here because I was friends with the HR manager and she wanted a plant in the company, she put me in touch with a recruiter and they prepped me on all the questions and responses. She knew I was a prick as she had worked with me before, so fitting in wouldn't be an issue. And it worked. She helps me and I help her.

Personally, if you have any self respect, I'd go elsewhere, buts its a good fit for me. I get to be rude to these tards that work here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Idonnathinkso in Morgantown, West Virginia

80 months ago

JFo in Richland, Michigan said: I currently work at Stryker and have a completely different opinion than the one posted previously. Stryker commands respect in the marketplace as a company that consistently delivers results (20% growth EVERY YEAR since the inception of the company) and that doesn't happen by accident.

20% sales growth per year in any company would be damn near unprecedented.

Double digit growth in sales year in and year out is hard enough to achieve period much less in the recession economy that we have now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

oO___Oo Smiley in Buffalo, New York

79 months ago

I am going to have an on-site interview soon for an Finance position. I am wondering, besides behavior questions, will they ask a lot of technical questions?
And usually will have second on-site interview? or this is pretty much the final stage?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DBLOOS in Boston, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I have cleared the Gallup test with Stryker and I am going for On-Site Interview on Tuesday 7th. Can you please tell me what should I expect in the On-site interview. Any suggestions to turn it into a clincher. I will be interviewed for Design role. Please reply asap..Thanks in advance..

Edjon in Michigan

60 months ago

DBLOOS in Boston, Massachusetts said: I have cleared the Gallup test with Stryker and I am going for On-Site Interview on Tuesday 7th. Can you please tell me what should I expect in the On-site interview. Any suggestions to turn it into a clincher. I will be interviewed for Design role. Please reply asap..Thanks in advance..

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an employee of Stryker and often involved in the interview process. The face to face interview is intended to 1) Determine your fit to the culture of the company and workgroup 2) Determine your fit to the job: technical skills and qualifications + the way you work 3) Give you an opportunity to better understand Stryker and the job you are seeking. Much of the advice given in modern interviewing books will not work well for a Stryker interview; prepared remarks, "elevator" presentations, a sense that you are trying to market yourself will be likely perceived as insincere. Folks want to understand the real you to the extent they can in the brief period you talk to them. Many of the interviews will be geared toward understanding your technical capability, your ability to do the job with excellence. Relax, but put your best foot forward. You would be surprised by how much time is spent discussing you after the interviews are over and the team is evaluating your potential at Stryker. There is nothing simple or one-dimensional about the way the company looks at candidates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

lvolve in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

not me in Bellaire, Michigan said: I work at Stryker. My advice for anyone trying to get into Stryker is to turn around, walk away and never look back.

Exactly: I worked for Stryker for a 6 month contract. Saved them 2.4Million dollars with my skill in re-engineering. They told me that I was "Trouble" due to my desire to save money and have quality measurements. This is "NOT" what this company is about. It is a waste of tax payers money. The products are so out of quality specs. And yes, I had a recall on one for 6 months in arrears...........
These people are absolutely no one you want mixed up with if you are an innovative person. Run if you can, fast and far away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lvolve in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

I also worked for the Stryker company. I do not recommend it to anyone. I actually stopped production of a knee piece as far back as 6 months. Saved them over $2.4 Million in re-engineering instruments. I was told I was "Trouble" to the way things were done. Good thing because my TQM pioneering standards were being destroyed every day for their lack of anything remotely close to quality. I tell people to NOT use stryker products in their bodies and I pray I am never in an accident where the doctor is a participant of the program and puts that crap into mine.
With so many other companies to work for, run from this one, fast and far away like we tell you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

james in Winter Springs, Florida

49 months ago

Hey I had an interview with stryker and received this email is that a good thing ?

" Thanks again for taking the time to interview with Stryker. I wanted to let you know that I heard a lot of great things from you during our interview and that we are still considering you for the Sales Representative - Orthopaedics - Miami, Florida position.

We are in the early stages of our selection process, so I appreciate your patience as we determine next steps, and we will be sure to update you as soon as we're able. "

Stryker is uncomfortable in Wyckoff, New Jersey

44 months ago

No place is perfect and we are what we make of opportunities, yet if you can find another place to work, go with it. Stryker is not the company people think it is. Every Stryker (Mahwah) person I speak with is either very unhappy or very fearful. They seem to have no idea of who they work for, what is required, or what is around the corner.

From my experience, I would be sure that I never have a Stryker product implanted in me or a loved one.

Overall terrible management which deflects all blame. I would also avoid the stock.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gric in Baltimore, Maryland

44 months ago

This is funny. I think most people in the industry will alll say they hate Stryker....why because they are out for $$$$$ not the best interests of the facility or most importantly the patient. Its all about what can I sell and how much can I make off of this. In my opinion Stryker is a joke and if you have morals and ethics you will turn around and walk away. I do not work for stryker but I have been unfortunate enough to work with them over the years and have been stabbed in the back more then once by this company. Today I was offered a job by Stryker and I turned it down, I would rather be unemployed and be able to sleep at night then live with myself working for a company like Stryker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

AdamWit in Clifton, New Jersey

10 months ago

Hi everyone,

I understand that some people hate Stryker but for me I have to find out on my own how bad or good it is. In order to do that I need to get my foot threw the door and that hasn't been easy for me. I have over 10 years of experience with Medical Devices I worked with a Stryker supplier in the past and I have been in Stryker Mahwah, and Stryker Ireland. I had a number of interview with them but somehow they are missing something in me. Any of you work at Mahwah site? How can I get in, how do you get a contract positions with them anyway. They don't post contract positions and their website or do they in some other locations. Thanks for you help. Adam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.