Sunrise Senior Living News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 65)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Sunrise Senior Living stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

AtYourOwnRisk in Anaheim, California

88 months ago

They're growing fast and are not keeping their staff trained properly or following all of the regulations. I've heard stories while there of things that could've/should've led to investigations in at least one center.

They are often understaffed and are too interested in profit to hire enough people to cover a shift properly.

And, I have yet to receive my paycheck after almost 3 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Judy in Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

I was interviewed for an associate director position at Sunrise. The executive director liked me and asked me when I could start. I told her I would think about it and get back to her. Since I already was a Director of Social Services elsewhere, it would've been a lateral move with less money. I called her back and thanked her explaining why I was turning down the position. I told her if anything comes up that would be more of an advanced move for me I would be very interested. She sounded fake on the phone and subsequently I began applying for other more advanced position only to be obviously black balled. She is no longer there. Turn over is very high and I'm glad I turned down the offer. They are very strange.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Media, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

My husband and I call them the 'bone helpers', meaning, they will train underqualified staff to manage meds, and do things that AL staff should not be doing unless they are nurses. It scares me. I had interviewed there before. Lots of weird stuff going on in interview, gossip coming from the top! Lots of, 'you'll have to basically run the department' with no help. Think you can do that? huh? HUH? HUH? Um. No, no...uh thank you maam. Anyway, I don't think this was what the original family had in mind when they created Sunrise in VA> Its ashame. It does not have the best reputation now. It was known for its pretty interior as far as nice drapes and pretty architecture, but that's where it ends. I'm not impressed at all. I have turned down about 3 jobs from Sunrise over the years. I'm just not about to put myself in a position where I will be a manager behind a desk, and then have someone tell me Mr. XYZ needs a bath! and I have to give it to him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stacy in Kansas City, Missouri

85 months ago

Judy in Chicago, Illinois said: My friend interviewed with Sunrise last week for the Resident Services Coordinator position. They said the position was budgeted at 32,000 and the position required that she may have to put in 12-14 hour days. ARE THEY INSANE? Again, no wonder the turn over is so high. When my friend countered with her extensive experience, they said they'd look at the budget again and try to match her offer. Yeah right. Social service entry level may be around 32,000 for Chicago, but this is a department head position. They pay is horrible and does not justify the hours one might have work.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bev in McClean, Virginia

84 months ago

A leader SHOULD lead by example and be willing to help pull the weight with their team. No matter what company banner I work under, I will always expect my leaders to be able and willing to do the work with those they lead when circumstances require. Now, the catch here is that if you indeed are a good leader, you will not encounter short shifts because your team will be willing and eager to support you. I would not hire someone too good to do front line work - no matter what company I work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Jessie in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

Bev in McClean, Virginia said: A leader SHOULD lead by example and be willing to help pull the weight with their team. No matter what company banner I work under, I will always expect my leaders to be able and willing to do the work with those they lead when circumstances require. Now, the catch here is that if you indeed are a good leader, you will not encounter short shifts because your team will be willing and eager to support you. I would not hire someone too good to do front line work - no matter what company I work for.

You must have just finished reading Mein Kampf with your sophomoric ideological blatherings. I believe the SEC and the Department of Public Health are probably looking at your good little leaders right now. I have no doubt they are wondering why Sunrise's hiring managers continue to hire people that "fit" their Stepford-ish culture and yet, resident endangerment investigations are on the rise nationwide. Also, the SEC is looking into...............hmmmmmm?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tanisha in Ann Arbor, Michigan

84 months ago

Jessie in Chicago, Illinois said: You must have just finished reading Mein Kampf with your sophomoric ideological blatherings. I believe the SEC and the Department of Public Health are probably looking at your good little leaders right now. I have no doubt they are wondering why Sunrise's hiring managers continue to hire people that "fit" their Stepford-ish culture and yet, resident endangerment investigations are on the rise nationwide. Also, the SEC is looking into...............hmmmmmm?

Wow! Mein Kampf. Those is fighting words. Actually, I've heard the same stuff on Sunrise. They are getting worse and hopefully people will shop around before going there to either work or live. There are plenty of good nursing homes around. Some are just very good at hiding their violations. Go to medicare.gov and look up a nursing home and then you will see if they received any violations and what they are. Remember,it's just a guideline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Clueless in New Jersey

78 months ago

Hello everyone,

I read thi forum and in shock of what peole are saying...Iam in shck because I applied for an executive director position and now I don't know if the offer would be extended If I should accept it?!

1.How much wuld you say they are paying to Executive irectors in New York tri state area?
2.Do they require Executive Directors do "front line" work-bathe, shower, feed residents?
3. How does upper management in the region treat others?

If you are not in a New York tri state area and can answer these questions based on what is in your state, I would appreciate it so very much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in Thornville, Ohio

78 months ago

I worked as an Executive Director with Sunrise 10 years ago in a troubled property in Northeast Ohio. Sunrise acquired Karrington Properties and the turnover was extremely problematic.

I believe the intitial intentions were good and properties appealing from a physical plant perspective however they as well as many other opererators need to remember its not the draperies, chandliers or the Queen Ann chairs in the lobby its the people!

Proper staffing, fair pay and benefits and appropriate training are essential for succes in this business of taking care of our nation's elderly.

Looks they might be ripe for a takeover and changing of the guard!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Clueless in New Jersey

78 months ago

Thank ou for your reply. If you do not mind to share what was the pay range they used to pay or are paying now to their Executive Directors?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nevermore in Sarasota, Florida

77 months ago

terri in Kansas City, Missouri said: strange is putting it nicely! turnover is great. mostly about image but have some wonderful caregivers. trouble is most of the good ones don't stay long.
management is awful.

I worked for them and found them VERY strange and extremely difficult to work for. It was getting cult like and the Executive Director/DCR (marketing) turnover rate is extremely high.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fi Fiofeefer in North Catzdiego

76 months ago

why is it that all the poorly typed complaints about not getting hired are the main critiques of this company? Might it be that you can't express yourself and are not worthy of hire in such a position of authority? And if you were and still didn'tget hired.. a mature person would know that it is never good business to burn a bridge--maybe, while you are spending your time venting on the internet--you should hone in on your real world skills and get over yourselves... these are lean times and y'all might just have to work a little more than your cushy 40 hour fantasy... good Lord, grow up...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Fairy in Eatontown, New Jersey

76 months ago

I was an employee for sunrise for six month .I worked on the reminiscence unit where sunrise keeps the"NURSING HOME RESIDENTS".Sunrise refuses to be called a nursing home and does not provide lifting equipment for their 150 pounds + residents. They are edead weight and are lifted with two people(Slam dunk is more like it since they are so heavy that they are almost thrown in the chair.Their pants are torn because we needed something to hold on to.I quit my job because I couldn't work anymore.After my backinjury they put me back to work light duty.They refuse to pay for a doctor so I can be treated. I have been une3mployeed for almost three month and can't take any jobs because of my chronic pain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Fi Fiofeefer in North Catzdiego said: why is it that all the poorly typed complaints about not getting hired are the main critiques of this company? Might it be that you can't express yourself and are not worthy of hire in such a position of authority? And if you were and still didn'tget hired.. a mature person would know that it is never good business to burn a bridge--maybe, while you are spending your time venting on the internet--you should hone in on your real world skills and get over yourselves... these are lean times and y'all might just have to work a little more than your cushy 40 hour fantasy... good Lord, grow up...

Maybe you assume too much.There are doctors that are bad typers.My typing is bad when I rush and don't spellcheck.Have you ever worked for sunrise? I have enough experience to run the place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

terri in Kansas City, Missouri said: strange is putting it nicely! turnover is great. mostly about image but have some wonderful caregivers. trouble is most of the good ones don't stay long.
management is awful.

The employees are good caretakers the problem is the company. They do not appreciate their employees.I got a frozen apple pie for a christmas bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FUZZY in Barrington, Illinois

76 months ago

Fairy in Eatontown, New Jersey said: The employees are good caretakers the problem is the company. They do not appreciate their employees.I got a frozen apple pie for a christmas bonus.

THE COMPANY DOES NOT APPRECIATE THEIR EMPLOYEES, I GOT A FROZEN APPLE PIE TOO FOR CHRISTMAS AND A 10.00 WALMART GIFT CARD, HOW EXCITING. I WORK MY BUTT OFF AND THIS IS WHAT I GET FOR TAKING CARE OF MY PATIENTS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FUZZY in Barrington, Illinois

76 months ago

ALL SUNRISE NURSING HOMES ARE STATE CERTIFIED TO HAVE HOYER LIFTS, FOR DEAD WEIGHT PATIENTS. I HAVE TO LIFT HEAVY PEOPLE WHO ARE DEAD WEIGHT OR OVER 200 POUNDS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CrystalLake in Crystal Lake, Illinois

75 months ago

I have worked at sunrise for a while now and I don't think this is a place for anyone. Residents are mistreated by certain Care Managers and nothing is done when it is reported. The care managers that do take good care of thier residents are not appreciated. They are always under staffed and when they hire new staff they are not trained properly. I think every sunrise in the country got apple/pumpkin pie for christmas, but I don't remember a $10. gift card with my pie. I feel bad for the residents that are not getting the care they deserve considering they pay 6-10,000 a month. THATS RIDICULOUS. I believe that if you work at Sunrise the only reason your still working there is because your a good care manager and you can't leave your residents to be neglected by the next hire off the street. Since "we can all be replaced" according to our upper management.

CrystalLake in Crystal Lake, Illinois

75 months ago

ej in Kansas City, Missouri said: Erin and Lydia you are on the right track - stay away from SUNRISE. I am speaking from a family of a resident point of view. They have ruined a perfectly beautiful new facility here with their shenanigans dealing with staff and residents and families. They opened in Feb 07 and about 20 people quit or fired. The good employees can't take it anymore. Now the residents are getting out. The (management-local-regional and nationally still has not taken the hint there is something very, very wrong going on. No common sense in how to hire, train and run a facility. Just want our money. Good luck in your job searches.

I agree 100%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

FUZZY in Algonquin, Illinois

75 months ago

There is very something wrong with Sunrise. I think that the big wigs and people who owns sunrise should be in the CNA'S shoes. They should work in their everyday clothes and get the people up and down out of their beds, dressed them, changed them when they have accidents, and deal with the short of help on each halls. CNA's who wear their everyday clothes are not happy at all to wear them. Would u wear your everyday clothes and get MERSA, urine, vomit, blood, or BM on your clothes everyday? Would u risk that? Or would u perfer to wear scrubs everyday to pervent that happening. All nursing homes and hospitals dressed in uniforms.

Sunrise needs to see the other side to protect their workers from infections and airborne diseases floating around the air. Sunrise needs to realize that what ever lands on our clothes will be passed on to our love ones, and our kids.
Do u want our family get sick due to these diseases that we carry on our clothes?

All CNA"S rather wear scrubs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abusing senior

74 months ago

FUZZY in Algonquin, Illinois said: There is very something wrong with Sunrise. I think that the big wigs and people who owns sunrise should be in the CNA'S shoes. They should work in their everyday clothes and get the people up and down out of their beds, dressed them, changed them when they have accidents, and deal with the short of help on each halls. CNA's who wear their everyday clothes are not happy at all to wear them. Would u wear your everyday clothes and get MERSA, urine, vomit, blood, or BM on your clothes everyday? Would u risk that? Or would u perfer to wear scrubs everyday to pervent that happening. All nursing homes and hospitals dressed in uniforms.

Sunrise needs to see the other side to protect their workers from infections and airborne diseases floating around the air. Sunrise needs to realize that what ever lands on our clothes will be passed on to our love ones, and our kids.
Do u want our family get sick due to these diseases that we carry on our clothes?

All CNA"S rather wear scrubs!

Worse still is that the germs and diseases that children pick up can easily be transferred from your street clothes to frail seniors.

Some of the CNA's were slovenly and came in looking very dirty.....what a surprise that our parents got so many serious infections.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sospankme in Mississauga, Ontario

74 months ago

This company is all about appearances like so many others have said and having worked there for many years I know that they are also all about money. All this talk about how they love their residents blah blah blah is a load of cuckoo. They have not been able to back that up yet. And they are cheap and I for one did not appreciate that frozen apple pie last year either. What I fail to understand is why families are so fooled into paying all that money every month for their loved ones. What a ripoff that is. Oh, I don't mean the care managers. The ones that I work with are for the most part very caring people. But the services they provide are certainly not worth what they charge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NoNoNo in Louisiana

74 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NoNoNo in Louisiana

74 months ago

I would have to agree that there are a lot of changes that have to be made. But yes I think greed is the driving factor here. I wonder how long before the eyes of the blind are opened

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

alice 11 in West Point, New Jersey

74 months ago

I am the niece of a resident. Sunrise posted a loss of $70mil last year; that may be why you all got frozen apple pies. I know that you all are underpaid; yet am amazed how kind you are, how patient most of you are. Some residents can be so cranky at times. I am starting to be underwhelmed by some of what is starting to happen at our Sunrise. We were told of lots of trips, activities, cocktails every day. This is not true, it turns out. The quality of the food has begun to be really bad lately. We were promised 'individualized meal plans'. Ha! Lately, they've neglected to set out the 'sample plates' by the menu boards so residents can see what they can choose. We're just kind of keeping a close eye out. God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NoNoNo in Louisiana

73 months ago

alice 11 in West Point, New Jersey said: I am the niece of a resident. Sunrise posted a loss of $70mil last year; that may be why you all got frozen apple pies. I know that you all are underpaid; yet am amazed how kind you are, how patient most of you are. Some residents can be so cranky at times. I am starting to be underwhelmed by some of what is starting to happen at our Sunrise. We were told of lots of trips, activities, cocktails every day. This is not true, it turns out. The quality of the food has begun to be really bad lately. We were promised 'individualized meal plans'. Ha! Lately, they've neglected to set out the 'sample plates' by the menu boards so residents can see what they can choose. We're just kind of keeping a close eye out. God bless.

Ask how many caregivers they have on their night shift. You would be shocked

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in Glendale, Arizona

73 months ago

Ask how many caregivers they have on their night shift. You would be shocked

Where I work there are two caregivers working the night shift. I guess the director thought that was adequate. God forbid if a fire broke out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in Glendale, Arizona

73 months ago

There was a petite 90 pound caregiver who tried to help a larger woman out of bed. Somehow the woman couldn't stand long and fell backwards on the unfortunate caregiver. The caregiver was trapped and couldn't get free. A while later one of the caregivers found her. We didn't have a hoyer. We still don't. The petite caregiver still works there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FUZZY in Woodridge, Illinois

73 months ago

one of my friends work in the crystal lake sunrise and they only have one hoyer (stand up hoyer) that really works. They need more new hoyer to transport these residents! you think sunrise can afford to buy new equipments? so cheap! no wonder why CNA's have sore backs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria Gregson in Manchester, United Kingdom

72 months ago

Having just spent two weeks training with this company I feel very uneasy. I wasn't sure if this was just the American way but it feels almost cult like in its approach. I feel brainwashed and almost like a Stepford Wife! I feel very nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

FUZZY in West Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

Never worked at a company that denied vacation time off, and personal time off. I had a doctor's apt and wanted to take some time off or any personal time off and the CNA supervisor denied my request off. By the time she asked me to work my weekened that I am off, I told her NO WAY! I have been there the longest and she favors the rest of the staff!

They have Director of Nursing who sits on their butts and do nothing. They should do all the staff schedules, not CNA's supervisor. Why do they they a CNA supervisor in the first place when they have DON'S?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

NoNoNo in Louisiana

72 months ago

Maria Gregson in Manchester, United Kingdom said: Having just spent two weeks training with this company I feel very uneasy. I wasn't sure if this was just the American way but it feels almost cult like in its approach. I feel brainwashed and almost like a Stepford Wife! I feel very nervous.

You hit that right on the nose! They are very cult-like and have succeeeded in fooling most of the families. One day the you know what will hit the fan and the whole world will see for themselves exactly what the goings ons are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

NoNoNo in Louisiana

72 months ago

NoNoNo in Louisiana said: You hit that right on the nose! They are very cult-like and have succeeeded in fooling most of the families. One day the you know what will hit the fan and the whole world will see for themselves exactly what the goings ons are.

Oh, and these people are absolutely terrified of Unions. They will take very extreme and unusual measures to halt any talk or plans of forming unions, but little do they know there is a huge surprise in store for some of the locations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fi Fiofeefer in North Catzdiego

72 months ago

Fairy in Eatontown, New Jersey said: Maybe you assume too much.There are doctors that are bad typers.My typing is bad when I rush and don't spellcheck.Have you ever worked for sunrise? I have enough experience to run the place.

Maybe I don't assume enough-- if you can't bother to spell check, maybe that is a symptom of your inability to pay attention to detail, a necessary attribute needed in the care of human life--maybe you don't have enough experience to look after frail elderly people after all-- maybe you are just sour grapes at a life that is not just given to you. Yes, I have worked for Sunrise-- and they are no better or worse than 90% of the companies out there... just the biggest-- however, all your belly aching won't get you into the 5% that are better- so again, Fairy, get out of Never-land and act like an adult... Also-- Spell check is pretty easy-- just click on the little red lines under all your erroneously spelled words-- it's a right click, btw... that's the side with the hand that has the thumb you suck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I am contracted to do 12 hours a week. This week I have already done 35. Next week they told me, not asked me, that I HAVE to do an 11 hour shift. I actually burst into tears today as I feel so exhausted and stressed with their attitude.

Michael in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

I agree, if you do not like your situation then you should change it. These days everyone has to work 10-12 hours a day minimum. Find something you love and it will not feel like work-quit crying and focus on what it is that will make you happy-as you have to work anyway..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Michael in Atlanta, Georgia said: I agree, if you do not like your situation then you should change it. These days everyone has to work 10-12 hours a day minimum. Find something you love and it will not feel like work-quit crying and focus on what it is that will make you happy-as you have to work anyway..

I do love the work, its the people who are very strange. A third of our staff have now left.Most after asking permission for at ten min break during which they could eat a sandwich and told no, that's not the Sunrise way!! Insane and against UK law, but nobody seems to want to fight them so the bullies are getting away with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Maria Gregson in Manchester, United Kingdom said: I do love the work, its the people who are very strange. A third of our staff have now left.Most after asking permission for at ten min break during which they could eat a sandwich and told no, that's not the Sunrise way!! Insane and against UK law, but nobody seems to want to fight them so the bullies are getting away with it.

Its always about who you work for and who is your supervisor-it always has been. If you have a problem talk to your supervisor, if unresolved tell them you will go to their supervisor, if still unresolved tell them you will go to their supervisor. Frank and open and honest communication is critical

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Well Michael I requested my supervisor speak to her supervisor and ask if I could see her to try and resolve our grievances but was told (as have others before me) that they will not change their rules so I and others have left. We were told to go and not work our notice! I think they are all a bit crazy to tell you the truth! I can't fight them on my own and anyway everyone says I'm better out of that oppressive environment so now looking not for another job! So much for their 'open door policy'.

muffins in crystal lake, Illinois

70 months ago

Maria Gregson in Manchester, United Kingdom said: Well Michael I requested my supervisor speak to her supervisor and ask if I could see her to try and resolve our grievances but was told (as have others before me) that they will not change their rules so I and others have left. We were told to go and not work our notice! I think they are all a bit crazy to tell you the truth! I can't fight them on my own and anyway everyone says I'm better out of that oppressive environment so now looking not for another job! So much for their 'open door policy'.

I certainly know about their "open door policy" Our ED, during last "QSR", sat in her office with the lights off and a candle lit.The Ed also continues to hold onto monies that had been given to the team members as a result of 2 residents who passed away over a year and a half ago.

70 months ago

Maria Gregson in Manchester, United Kingdom said: Michael, that made me laugh re. lights off and a candle! Accepting money? Whoah, that is really bad! We were told that it is a long standing policy of Sunrise that team members will not accept tips, gifts, loans or gratuities from residents or family members, no matter how small. It makes my blood boil - one rule for 'them' and one for 'us'.

I hope you find something soon. It is not a good time to be out of work-good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

That's very kind of you Michael. Much appreciated, thanks :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

skinsfan in Gaithersburg, Maryland

70 months ago

Several years ago, with a different ED, I responded to an ad from the Jefferson location for a "Humorologist." At that time I was providing gratis shows at senior facilities designed to stimulate seniors to recall incidents in their growing years. I do this with a slide show of nostalgia items. The ED was something of a nut case. I observed him sleeping in his office. He bold continually lied to me about my program and his interest. Interestingly, I would have done this as a volunteer. As far as I am concerned, the residents were the losers, as well as the Sunrise Organization, since this effort could have proven itself very marketable. Perhaps this is why the shadow of Bankruptcy looms at its door?

I understand that he is no longer affiliated with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NoNoNo in Louisiana

70 months ago

I hope to goodness I don't receive another frozen apple pie this year. There might not be an apple pie but there might be one of those prepared packaged fruit cakes. I don't want that either. Do not disrespect me please, thank you. What I don't want to see either is our ED's office piled high with gifts from family members and staff that are taken home by the Ed and Co. I betcha some of those baskets are supposed to be shared with the staff. Shameless people - Heaven forbid, don't dare throw that in their faces.

NoNoNo in Louisiana

70 months ago

On another note, speaking of management, I forgot to add that there is a gaggle of bumbling idiots running around a certain Sunrise, no clue as to what they are doing and seriously in need of some shock treatment. One of them in particular does not know his tailbone from his head, a very sneaky individual who does a lot of bird watching from the beams. Go figure.

skinsfan in Gaithersburg, Maryland

70 months ago

when he thinks about sunrise, Mr. Jefferson must be spinning in his grave due to the besmirching of his home. I wonder what ever happened to schulman?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

truthseeker72 in Olathe, Kansas

70 months ago

I worked for Sunrise for a year or so. I agree that if you are having problems that it is important to go to your manager. However, the problem that Sunrise has is that they honestly don't care about their employees. The job is hard, you are in charge of a lot, even as a CNA and you will go home exhausted every night. There is never enough help and the management tend to sit on their butts and work 20 hours a week or less. If they do agree to meet with you to discuss a problem you may be having, they will tell you to quit and that you are replaceable. It is a not so subtle threat. My favorite was the indoctrination of watching the video on why Sunrise doesn't believe in unions. I don't disagree with them on that one but, unless they start paying a proper wage and hiring a proper staff they are probably going to end up seeing unions soon. Honestly, I hurt for the people I had to leave behind and hope that most of them have managed to find another home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fpmc@aol.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

70 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Sunrise Senior Living stack up against the competition
Poorly, I worked for them 17 years ago! They could care less about their employees & management staff as well!They could care less about the residents, lower level staff, plus there staff management, who do care about the residents!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

NoNoNo in Louisiana

70 months ago

I would so love it if all management in all the Sunrise homes knew about this site. Why? because they get highly annoyed when we the employees speak among ourselves about the injustices in the homes, that is, when the tattle tales run to them with stories about their co-workers. If they read the postings here they would get an eyeful and an earful but there is nothing on this green earth they can do about it. I can relate to everything everyone else is posting here and I'm sure in many cases vice-versa. What is worse than management are the rats who call themselves co-workers and waddle their way to manangement about every tiny inconsequential thing to make trouble for others. That is disgusting and if any of you fit the bill and are reading this, I hope you rot in hell fire!:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.