How to get a job at Sunrise Senior Living.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

Do you work at Sunrise Senior Living? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

stacy in Kansas City, Missouri

85 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Sunrise Senior Living? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

They are going through some financial investigations by the SEC and there is talk they may be sold. Google Sunrise Senior Living, Inc to get more info.
From my observations they are heavy on middle management travel all over to different facilities but really don't "GET IT" when it comes to what a certain facility may lack in it's immediate management. Just think all decisions are made with the dollar in mind, period!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Bev in McClean, Virginia

84 months ago

The first interview typically occurs in a "group interview" that occurs at a set time each week in each community. Candidates gather, learn of the community culture, meet several department heads and a chance to sparkle. This is a general conversation, if you are recognized a being a "fit" culturally then a second interview will be scheduled for an individual interview. In the group interview, they are looking for people with passion, caring heart, love for seniors and leadership. This is the place to get noticed! Ask the receptionist when the group interview is scheduled and just show up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Julie Colp in Waterford, Michigan

81 months ago

Not so much a comment, but my daughter works for Sunrise Senior Assisted living in Waterford for $9.00 an hour, loves it and is treated very well. She can't believe she gets paid to do what she does. She works with the alzheimers patients. Question, do you think that the conditions very from good to bad based on which facility you work at, not which state, but from home to home? Question, how did they kick you when you were down? couldn't figure it out from your statement. What job did you hold? These things are necessary to know if one is going to seriously slam a business. I am not taking sides, but here is where the "details" do matter. Respectfully, Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

brunhlda johnson in South Hamilton, Massachusetts

81 months ago

Conditions definitely vary home to home. Don't slam someone that is an employee when you are not! Example, when a care taker injures themselves on the job isn't the company supposed to support them with obtaining workmens comp? Not at this home they don't! They push you to return to work at non existant light duty then when you can't do regular duties they fire you. I know what i'm talking about, seen it happen many time with this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Shame you think I slamming you, but details seemed to be lacking. All that you describe sounds like you need a lawyer. It is illegal to function the way this company has functioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Like I said I was not the injured employee. You sound like a management staff member? I thoroughly enjoy my job and don't complain about the work/workload. I don't need a lawyer, I am very good at what I do, am state certified and proud of it. Yes the pay stinks but I'm doing this job because I do care about the geriatric persons at this residence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Again, it was not clear that you were only giving a generic example of the bad treatment of employees. You sounded like the "abused" person. My response about a lawyer had to do with anyone, anywhere and anytime. It is wrong for these companies to fire a person, any person who has been hurt and can not even find "lighter or other" work to perform.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I only want what is best for those who need care. Yes, it is a job that I would do for free if I could and I could feel fulfilled. BUT, there are no "easy" care-giving jobs, so whoever accepts "does" know what they are getting into. If, in fact, laws are being broken, abuses are happening, then a lawyer or a group suing for workers rights is necessary, then get a lawyer. Old quote...."What is right is FAIR". Put yourself in "everyones" position to see "who" is not being fair and take actions to make it better for "everyone" else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

PART OF YOUR QUOTE:I am very good at what I do, am state certified and proud of it. Yes the pay stinks but I'm doing this job because I do care about the geriatric persons at this residence.

THERE WERE 3 DIFFERENT WORKERS ONE DAY DISCUSSING THEIR PAY, EACH WORKED FOR THE SAME EMPLOYEER, DID THE SAME JOB, BUT, FOUND OUT THEY GOT DIFFERENT PAY. WHEN ASKED, EACH SEPARATELY SAID THAT AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF THE DAY ONE DAY, THE FARMER HAD OFFERED THEM DIFFERENT AMOUNTS TO "FINISH" OUT THE DAYS WORK, EACH HAD ACCEPTED WHAT WAS OFFERED. THE ONES RECEIVING THE LESSOR PAY WERE UPSET. THE FARMER SAID THAT HE HAD MADE AN OFFER, THEY HAD ACCEPTED AND THAT IS WHY THEY RECEIVE WHAT THEY RECEIVE. THAT IS FROM THE BIBLE. LEGALLY, IT IS CALLED "OFFER AND ACCEPTANCE". YOU GOT AN OFFER FOR PAY, YOU ACCEPTED IT. DON'T EVEN BEGIN TO COMPLAIN. MOVE ON IF YOU MUST. BY THE WAY, STOP CALLING THE OLDER GENERATION THE "GERIATRICS". I HAVE EVERY CONFIDENCE THAT YOU WILL TAKE YOUR GREAT SKILLS THAT YOU MAY BE PROUD OF AND "MOVE ON".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

HEY JAY IN VIRGINIA: ABOUT brunhlda johnson in South Hamilton, Massachusetts: CAN NOT TELL THIS ONE TO GROW UP, TALKING LIKE A YOUNG INEXPERIENCE, REALISTIC PERSON. --- Think that I am howling at the moon with this one. This person speaks "bitterly" for another person (picking up their cross), attacks me for saying if things really are bad and illegal...get a lawyer, brags how they love their overworked conditions and brags how skilled they are all while calling the people they care for "geriatric". IF THEY SEE THIS AS MEAN AND NOT MEANINFUL, SOME ADVICE ABOUT MAKING OTHER CHOICES IF THEY ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT "LOUSY PAY"...NOTHING THOSE OF US IN THE "REAL WORLD" CAN DO. SUGGEST TALKING TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE LIVED LONG ENOUGH TO "TAKE" SERIOUS, FAIR, WELL-MEANING AND USEFUL ADVICE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

ila in Utica, Michigan

81 months ago

did anyone have any idea how the group interview goes? i have mine next week ,i was wondering how it goes.how many people do they put in a group and what are their questions?if you are not yet certified did you think they'll still hire you?i'm an na for now waiting for my state exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Jessie in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey Jules in Michigan--You sound somewhat schizo? You obviously live in a parallel universe as an arm chair philosopher. Mother Theresa would be so proud of you and your daughter. I have an idea. Tell your daughter to stop taking Sunrise's money and you both should work there for free! Now that would be really MEANINGFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch out no one is supposed to say negative stuff least 'julie' and "jay" will verbally attack ya and shanghai your comments and thoughts!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jessie in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

Having worked in the industry for many years, I know what goes on. Having been a caregiver to a department head, I understand what your experience is like. I agree that we are not in this work because of the pay, but it does not give management the right to exploit it's employees. It's even worse when you are a dedicated, loyal, and go-the-extra-mile person because you care about the residents. It has happened to me and many, many, caring people in this field. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Butters in Stone Mountain, Georgia

80 months ago

Jessie in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey Jules in Michigan--You sound somewhat schizo? You obviously live in a parallel universe as an arm chair philosopher. Mother Theresa would be so proud of you and your daughter. I have an idea. Tell your daughter to stop taking Sunrise's money and you both should work there for free! Now that would be really MEANINGFUL!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE

Another thought Jules- Sunrise Senior Living is a FOR PROFIT business. The seniors that can afford to live there are very lucky, compared to many seniors living in poverty. To try and justify the "poverty level" wages is laughable. Sunrise Living is laughing all the way to the bank. Don't get me wrong- great you & your daughter feel you are making a real difference in the lives of these very privileged people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Truth in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

From my experience the comment above is quite true. "Run" don't look back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

thewhistleblower in chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

7gifts in Beaconsfield, Quebec

75 months ago

How much does a med tech make and a med tech supervisor. Also, how much do they pay you for their course...Monday to Fr. 8:30-4:30?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dutytrue in Royal Oak, Michigan

73 months ago

Julie Colp in Waterford, Michigan said: Not so much a comment, but my daughter works for Sunrise Senior Assisted living in Waterford for $9.00 an hour, loves it and is treated very well. She can't believe she gets paid to do what she does. She works with the alzheimers patients. Question, do you think that the conditions very from good to bad based on which facility you work at, not which state, but from home to home? Question, how did they kick you when you were down? couldn't figure it out from your statement. What job did you hold? These things are necessary to know if one is going to seriously slam a business. I am not taking sides, but here is where the "details" do matter. Respectfully, Thanks

Look at Sunrise profit reports...Ask the seniors who are suckered into a Sunrise what they pay monthly for the poorly managed and understaffed facility they reside in. $9.00 an hour is slave labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

somelostsoul in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

lawrance in Los Angeles, California said: they prefer old people to work for them no offense but if you under 30 forget about it. i have a degree in nursing and i used to be a clinical liaison for skilled nursing facilities.. I tried to apply in Sunrise. "how old are you??/" that the first question that the administrator asked me.. when i said im 23 he look at me and sarcastically asked me if i have experience?? HELLO! i got my my RN degree when i was 19 and since then i work in "skilled" setting he doenst even think it will be alot easier for a skilled nursing marketer to market an assisted living.. he discriminated me because of my age..thats sad

It's illegal for them to ask your age. Isn't it in California? But I agree, if you're a RN by 19 and worked in a skill nursing center, your age doesn't matter anyway, experience. I'm 35 in the process of getting a RN barely. I'm CNA now but I can't imagine getting in Sunrise now. They did call me for a group interview, but I don't have my hopes up for a simple Care Taker job position now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

PGUARINO1@tampabay.rr.com in Clearwater, Florida

36 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Sunrise Senior Living? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I have never worked at Sunrise Senior Living. I found the position on Indeed.com. I hope you
will consider my resume in your search for an employee and afford me the opportunity to be an
asset to your facility.

Awaiting your reply.

Phyllis Guarino

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Raquel Wilson in High Point, North Carolina

24 months ago

PGUARINO1@tampabay.rr.com in Clearwater, Florida said: I have never worked at Sunrise Senior Living. I found the position on Indeed.com. I hope you
will consider my resume in your search for an employee and afford me the opportunity to be an
asset to your facility.

Awaiting your reply.

Phyllis Guarino

Please review my resume

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Raquel Wilson in High Point, North Carolina

24 months ago

no comment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

N in Park Ridge, Illinois

22 months ago

How long does background check at sunrise senior living??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

josephjazmine@yahoo.com in Dallas, Texas

14 months ago

I applied for housekeeping/laundry for sunrise senior living. I got called for a group interview what to expect what the pay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

abraham matovu in Inglewood, California

12 months ago

i will love to work with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.