Synthes Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Synthes?

What do you like best about working at Synthes? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

MIII observer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

Internal starting salaries tend to be generally on the low side. Synthes is not known for being competitive on the compensation front. As Synthes is a heavily sales oriented company, meaning its driven by management who are from "sales", unlike pharma, most of the higher compensation is devoted mostly to sales reps. My own personal experience after Synthes has been companies that have approached me are often surprised at how low they pay their corporate and internal people. The cost of living in the PA area is not extremely high, however the company line typically during annual performance reviews is that the avg. increase is 3.2% or even less. Given the unprecedented growth of the company over the last ten years, one might easily question the lack of equity in compensating their employees.

Benefits, tend to be slightly above avg. Not exceptional. Recently they have instituted a 3wk vac policy in an accrued system. Travel requirements vary per position.

Working at Synthes in general is tedious, not as enriching or rewarding as it may have been several years ago. There is a significant amount of internal struggle to streamline their policies and procedures, but to no avail. Procedures are often created and institued by individuals not actually performing the tasks or responsibilities. In general the company has a Swiss/European feel to it, as it is majority owned by Hansjorg Wyss, a Swiss national. He tends to favor managers or EU or Swiss origin. The recently appointed CEO (2 yrs ago) is also Swiss.

I would high encourage you to evaluated joining this company. Think twice, ask good questions, and ask if you can have conversations and do a 'reverse interview' and talk to some employees directly.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.