Age Descrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Anonymous in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

I recently applied for a LP Manager position and was more than qualified. I never recieved a call, but just an email three weeks later stating they had identified better candidates. Two weeks later they have the same job listed again. With twenty five years experience you would think I might have had a phone call as a courtesy. DISAPPOINTED!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Seattle, Washington

87 months ago

Don't show you full work history or education if it gives away you age. Or maybe the dates got transposed by mistake- graduated 1987 vs 1978, etc...
OOPS....
At least the auto-age rejection is lees prone to happen\.

What will we do with all those aging 35+ techies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reality Dude in RTP

87 months ago

Agreed, only show 15 years to 20 years work history. It makes you look like your in the early 40's maybe. Never put high school or college graduation dates unless they are within the last 10 years.

Another words: B.S. Electrial Engineering Georgia Tech University 1973 would only tell them I'm way over fifty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dude in Birmingham, Alabama

87 months ago

You are all correct. I worked there for a period of time and it is very obvious they were discriminating.

I have 25 years experience. I recently applied for my old and got no response, no call, nothing. A headhunter sent my name in and was told "he hasn't been a manager for a year." Lame excuse!

The only revenge is to not spend your money there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gary Grandy in Gansevoort, New York

80 months ago

I recently applied for a position that I was VERY qualified for. I interviewed with recruiters and a "Sr Manager for Talent acquisition" who said I was a perfect fit for the job. They were all great people and I was really impressed with them. After one month however they could not get me in front of the hiring manager. I'm 49 and proud of my experience. While I don't know if this was a case of age discrimination or not I really don't care. Bottom line is they lost a great potential hire no matter what the reason. I'm going to work for someone else who values my experience...THEIR LOSS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

spock9 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

This is VERY disturbing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lawrence N Smith in Plainfield, Wisconsin

74 months ago

I know about rejection. It is pretty hard to prove the age thing, but it is obvious, especially when you see the job
advertised many times over and over again for months after
you have sent in a number of resumes and never heard back.
I don't know why companies can't just be honest and say in
the job add that they don't want anyone with 40 years experience
and will not even give the applicant a call back with some kind of a reason why they don't qualify for the job. Individuals can't be blamed here it is just the they it is!! I am ashamed of our corporate America attitude on this matter. I was in management for most of my career but never realized this was going on until I retired and have been trying to get back into the work place. Complaining goes unnoticed because who listens to us old folks any way's!!! Problem is in most cases that is the way it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rouhan in Bellevue, Washington

74 months ago

Don't be surprised, I have been their employee for 7 years and I see every day age discrimination is main reason to not be able to get promoted internally. People who are above 40 within T-Mobile, feel it very well but they scare to mention it b/c they don't want loose their current job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I, too, had the same experience of receiving an email two months after I applied to the position that they had identified better qualified candidates and saw the same position posted twice since then and that was in July that I heard from them. Having previously worked with one of their competitors for over seven years, I found it hard to believe.

It's too bad more employers don't realize what us 40+'s bring to the table: experience, excellent work ethic, and loyalty to name a few. Yet they want to deal with the Gen Xer's...I say let 'em and suffer the consequences.

Hardheaded Realist in New York, New York

73 months ago

Anonymous in Houston, Texas said: I recently applied for a LP Manager position and was more than qualified. I never recieved a call, but just an email three weeks later stating they had identified better candidates. Two weeks later they have the same job listed again. With twenty five years experience you would think I might have had a phone call as a courtesy. DISAPPOINTED!!

Never say you have 25 years experience........it will definately go against you.
Besides the reality is that at T-Mobile since the job consists of a lot of cold calling, management feels that the kids make excellent donkeys, since they have high energy and not much else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T-Mobile Employee in Meridian, Idaho

69 months ago

I have seen folks in their 50s and 60s get hired at T-Mobile, recently too. The key is whether or not you really personified the values that T-Mobile has. The cellphone idustry is rife with competion, and T-Mobile's edge has always been their customer service. Without knowing specifics as to what was discussed in your interview, it's hard to say but I assure you that your age had nothing to do with it. Chances are even though your experience looks great on paper, it's how you came across in person that really counts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T-Mobile Employee in Meridian, Idaho

69 months ago

If you never made it to a face to face or phone interview...evaluate if your resume truly highlights your skills. Also, a resume should be customized to the job and company that you are applying to. Many places offer resume services, it may be worth the investment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

T-Mobile Employee in Meridian, Idaho said: If you never made it to a face to face or phone interview...evaluate if your resume truly highlights your skills. Also, a resume should be customized to the job and company that you are applying to. Many places offer resume services, it may be worth the investment.

I'm very encouraged bye your comments that you have indeed witnessed hiring of the over 40.
Well What if I never got an interview?
BTW most people over 30 who have been retail managers know how to compose a resume.
Chances they have hired a few people, you know 3 or 4.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlesap in Coopersville, Michigan

69 months ago

Reality Dude in RTP said: Agreed, only show 15 years to 20 years work history. It makes you look like your in the early 40's maybe. Never put high school or college graduation dates unless they are within the last 10 years.

Another words: B.S. Electrial Engineering Georgia Tech University 1973 would only tell them I'm way over fifty.

I think that hiding your age is just silly. Eventually you are going to have a face-to-face interview and it blows your cover every time. Then you have wasted even more precious time with an interview for a job you'll never get. I'm 59 and do contract engineering. I work for companies that want my experience and can't afford to do anything, but get it right the first time.

69 months ago

Charlesap in Coopersville, Michigan said: I think that hiding your age is just silly. Eventually you are going to have a face-to-face interview and it blows your cover every time. Then you have wasted even more precious time with an interview for a job you'll never get. I'm 59 and do contract engineering. I work for companies that want my experience and can't afford to do anything, but get it right the first time.

I agree Honesty and Integrity are always should always be more valuable than any other trait.

rockchuck in Wichita, Kansas

68 months ago

After 29 years with Southwestern Bell/SBC/At&t, most of it in customer service, I assumed my past work record and longevity would be seen as an asset. I had my phone interview 2 weeks ago. All seemed well. I had my face to face interview with 2 very nice ladies 1 week ago. All seemed well. I was completely honest in job and educational background information. I was told last Friday, after some warm smiles and friendly handshakes, that I would be receiving a phone call within 72 hours.
Glad I came to this site to find that this ancient 50 year old isn't the only one to receive the T-Mobile Bum Rush.

60 months ago

rockchuck in Wichita, Kansas said: After 29 years with Southwestern Bell/SBC/At&t, most of it in customer service, I assumed my past work record and longevity would be seen as an asset. I had my phone interview 2 weeks ago. All seemed well. I had my face to face interview with 2 very nice ladies 1 week ago. All seemed well. I was completely honest in job and educational background information. I was told last Friday, after some warm smiles and friendly handshakes, that I would be receiving a phone call within 72 hours.
Glad I came to this site to find that this ancient 50 year old isn't the only one to receive the T-Mobile Bum Rush.

RockChuck
I Feel you pain with this company being 47.
I’m not sure is this age discrimination but I wanted to share what happen to me recently.
I keep a profile on linkedin.com.
I have over 24 years of experience in cellular retail
& installation. (lol the used to be car phones?)
I was sent a message from a T-Mobile Divisional Recruiter via that website.
It was very flattering and asked if I would like to speak to them about a position.
I replied and the next day I got a call from another recruiter.
Who wanted to do the phone interview..
The interview started fine but about 10 minutes into the interview the “recruiter” interrupted me and told me that 24 years experience was irrelevant and I didn’t meet a requirement of being a manager for the last 3 years in the mobile phone business. (I have been unemployed for the past 2 years my choice).
Well needless to say after going back and forth with this person about a “requirement” I told him thanks I will forward my feeling on this interview to the person who contacted me on linkedin and hung up the phone.
I cut and pasted my response to that person below.

60 months ago

Well thanks but no thanks B*****!
I just got off the phone with J***** ******. ***-***-****
I was probably the worst interview I ever experienced in my career.
I could hear him texting wile he was speaking with me,
He seamed so unprepared he didn’t notice I left AT&T in November of 2007?
Then he tried to blame it on you that you didn’t notice my work dates.

Frankly I don’t believe he read my linkedin profile, he told me you have a requirement of having to be currently employed for 3 years as a store manager to be considered for a store manager position. But I may be considered for a more Jr. Position?

If you look @ my profile I was hired as a store manager with AT&T (recruited) and was assigned to run their “flagship” store in center city during the release of the first iPhone and Ill be considered for a Jr. position? Are you kidding me?

About 20 minutes later he called me back, I was so angry I didn’t answer he left me a message apologizing “If” he offended me and wanted to continue the interview.

Did you think he made a good first impression of T-Mobile for me?
Sorry I will not be returning his call.

Also something very ironic happen after he called I received a call from another employer and I have an interview on Monday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.