Age Descrimination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Galveston50 in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

I applied for a position in Houston. I am more than qualified, but age seems to be a problem with this company. Move over when you get older as you are put to pasture. What a shame to waste such knowledge and information without even an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Springfield, Missouri

85 months ago

Thats T-Mobile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lewman29@yahoo.com in Olathe, Kansas

85 months ago

I took their little test after being bugged by HR....the test was set up against anyone with REAL WORLD experience, or anyone over 20ish.

The questions were simple enough...But the computer I was set up to use had some bugs so some functions did not work properly. One question was Are stereotypes true? (We all know they are 99% of the time!!!) But they had a little disclaimer "don't answer the questions how you think they should be answered because it might count against you..."

Never got to see a human...But they quit calling!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Norcross, Georgia

85 months ago

lewman29@yahoo.com in Olathe, Kansas said: Are stereotypes true? (We all know they are 99% of the time!!!)

You really believe that do you? What if they believed the stereotype that anyone who lives in Kansas must be a farmer and knows more about cows and wheat than business and shouldn't be hired for anything else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lewman29@yahoo.com in Olathe, Kansas

85 months ago

I refuse to apologize for being right in my judgements in regard to sterotypes, the fact of that matter was that it was about customer service, not about raising cattle or wheat. The point was to give informative info to help other applicants with t-mobile. They don't need to take my word t-mobile descriminates based on age and that their testing methods are set up against adult with real world experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jen Y in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

I am an adult with real world experience and I work for t-mobile. I got the job as an adult with real world experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Age Bias in Frisco, Texas

79 months ago

www.aarp.org/bulletin/yourlife/Articles/a2003-06-26-boomers.html

Boomers Discover Age Bias
Age Complaints Surge as Midlife Workers Find the Going Harder

By Trish Nicholson

March 2003

Email This Page To A Friend Print This Page
As more baby boomers move into their 50s, they are finding something new to protest: age discrimination in the workplace.
And they aren't wasting any time. Fueled by charges from workers in their 40s and 50s, the number of age bias complaints filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) jumped from 14,141 in 1999 to 19,921 in 2002, up 41 percent.

Of all workers filing age-bias charges in 2002, 64 percent were from 40 to 59 years old. The nation's baby boomers—76 million strong—were born between 1946 and 1964 and came of age during the fight for civil rights.

con't next

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Age Bias in Frisco, Texas

79 months ago

Now, with new troubles to confront, they are taking their complaints to the EEOC, which administers the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) that since 1967 has barred discrimination against workers age 40 and older.
"Baby boomers believe they helped develop the core values of our society, which prohibit discrimination," EEOC chairwoman Cari M. Dominguez said in an interview with the AARP Bulletin. "[They] see the [civil rights] laws that are on the books today as part of their own efforts" and are "very comfortable," she says, in asserting their rights.

Boomers have reason to be unhappy, as do many other older workers. With the economy still sluggish, layoffs are continuing at a high level. Total job cuts, which hovered above 400,000 annually in the mid-1990s, skyrocketed to nearly 2 million in 2001 and dropped to about 1.5 million in 2002, reports the outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas Inc.

Noting a connection between the economy and age bias claims, Dominguez says, "The [claims] go up when opportunities go down."

That's no accident, suggests Dominguez, who is a boomer herself. She believes there remains a goo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Standleejim@att.net in Bakersfield, California

3 months ago

Age Discrimination seems to be taking place, here !! Best I got after the last interview, was thank you for your service, as a Vietnam Vet. We'll call you next week. A call I never got, to tell me whether I got the job, or not. Applied for same job at a different location and quickly received an email, that unfortunately, I was not a match for this job. This process has taken place several times and the pattern is apparent. Possibly they are discriminating against Vietnam Vets. I will follow through, this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.