CROOKED RECRUITING COMPANIES

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 187 of 187)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

? in Medford, New Jersey

83 months ago

Dr. Rosen in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: You have to be kidding me. IT Professionals work sooooo hard? You are overhead with the exception of those who are actually developing a software product to acutally go to market with which will make your company money.

IT people work sooooo hard. Please dude, ditch diggers, construction workers, military personnel, janitors, teachers and retail professionals all work far harder than you with WAAAYYYY less pay.

Fine. Excluding software developers then, see how much your business operations and bottom line are impacted when there is no one to reset your password, repair your printer or network cable, configure your account, monitor your storage or software licenses, install hardware, demonstrate software usage, etc. The comparison to unskilled, manual laborers is ludicrous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Miller in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

Dr. Rosen in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: You have to be kidding me. IT Professionals work sooooo hard? You have very short memories of 2000-2003 when you were begging for work and blaming the Staffing and Consulting firms for not getting you work when you were overpaid due to Y2K. WAY OVERPAID! My guess is that this topic was started by an IT Professional who did a poor job on his/her last 8 jobs in the past 2 years and they are looking for someone else to blame other than themselves for not performing.

Is that a fact? What are you, a SHILL for the employment agencies? How do YOU know how hard we work? Just guessing we're all slackers? The vitriol in your foolish, uninformed and uncorroborated ATTACK on IT workers betrays a certain BIAS, don't you think? Or do you think we're not only overpaid but stupid and uninformed like you? GO AWAY. Calling us all LIARS is the act of a COWARD, "Dr."

Alex Golimbievsky in Tulsa, Oklahoma

83 months ago

I'm sorry about all your bad experiences, but my experiences are solely based off one company. Teksystems have been phenomenal to me from the day I had my first conversation.

I needed a job and one of my friends told me about Teksystems. I told them I needed a job ASAP (Bills racking up). My recruiter told me the first one down the line he knows of isn't the choicest one, but it would be in the same line of work I was qualified for. It was a temporary contract for 2 weeks and he told me he would be looking for a more long term contract for me. I took the job (it was exactly as described and there were no surprises), and even though I didn't like it (being T-com) I stuck with it for the 2 weeks knowing my recruiter was looking for another spot for me.

After 2 weeks, he landed me an interview at a non-profit organization, which I got and started working there. I was only supposed to be there for a week, but once I started, they liked my work ethic and abilities so they asked Tek to extend my contract. After a few weeks, I was doing higher level work than I was originally contracted for, so I told my recruiter what I was doing now as opposed to what I was hired on for. He went to the company, and negotiated for a 20% increase in my rate and put me on a 6 month temp to permanent basis. It was WONDERFUL. It has been over a year, I am working full time for the non-profit and my recruiter still keeps in touch, and takes me out to lunch. When he first met me, he told me that he would never jerk me around or promise what he couldn't deliver, but in return I had to be honest with him and respect his work and time.

I have sent 3 of my IT friends his way, and I would recommend ANYONE to contact him. His name is Joe out of the Tulsa Office, and his number is (918) 382-3022.

Not all contractors are created alike, just like not all IT professionals aren't created alike. Don't disqualify an entire company on account of one person.
Good luck guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Who are you People? in Spartanburg, South Carolina

83 months ago

Congratulations. You are one of the lucky ones. I have been on both sides of this subject so you can believe me when I tell you that there are two sides. I have a great gig now with a contract that may last for 2 years. I have been on jobs that were a week to a couple of months that the recruiter wanted bodies and hung you out to dry. When they take you out to dinner means you are making them money and they don't want you to go anywhere (not yet anyway). The bottom line is be happy where you are now, but always be suspicious of the reason a recruiting company is being nice to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Who are you People? in Spartanburg, South Carolina

83 months ago

Congratulations. You are one of the lucky ones. I have been on both sides of this subject so you can believe me when I tell you that there are two sides. I have a great gig now with a contract that may last for 2 years. I have been on jobs that were a week to a couple of months that the recruiter wanted bodies and hung you out to dry. When they take you out to dinner means you are making them money and they don't want you to go anywhere (not yet anyway). The bottom line is be happy where you are now, but always be suspicious of the reason a recruiting company is being nice to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappy in Walnut, California

83 months ago

TEKsystems is awful. I worked thru them for 2 years. After I left, I found out I have been giving raises by the company I was working for and never saw any of the money. They had kept it all. There vacation practices are shady. You start accumulating after 1 year there, so after 2 years, you finally get one week of paid vacation. Never was paid for holidays. Avoid no matter what!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra Brinkley in Louisville, Colorado

83 months ago

Unhappy- I am sure all the terms of your contract were laid out for you before you started your two year contract- I know mine were. Your vacation is earned the same way a full time employee earns vacation- it is not given automatically on day one. Vacations, holidays, benefits,etc are an option- generally a contractor works what is called an all hours contract meaning you are paid for all hours worked and the "benefits" are a plus in contracting- I am not sure what might have happened with the raise- generally a raise is negotiated through the agency and not just "given" by the client. They will pay the same rate for as long as they can. I think having a steady job for two years was a great accomplishment in the "contracting world" we now reside in. Just my experience as a contractor with TEKsystems which has been very positive- they laid it all out for me and gave me many options to chose from and still stay in communication.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BE in Colorado Springs, Colorado

83 months ago

How is the job market in San Antonio?

Alex Golimbievsky in Tulsa, Oklahoma

83 months ago

I agree with Sandra, there are reasons why recruiting companies make you sign things. They aren't there for decoration. You signed a contract which stipulates you agree to the terms of the contract. If raises weren't negotiated in the contract, then Tek doesn't have to give you anything. You could have asked to re-negotiate your contract at any time during employment, but Tek doesn't even have to do that.

The point is that had you read everything thoroughly, then you would have no reason to complain. If you had an issue with the vacation policy, you could have brought it up before signing the contract.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tammy

82 months ago

Steve in New Jersey in Montclair, New Jersey said: I agree as well. I have stopped dealing with ALL recruiters.

So what have you done to get a job? Have you gotten one yet? I am so pissed to find all of this out.

The Truth in Trabuco Canyon, California

81 months ago

I wonder why TEK is a billion dollar company? Oh yeah, the end-clients want their service. Have fun blogging haters.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

STIVERS are liars! in Denver, Colorado

78 months ago

I just sent this e-mail to Stivers in the Denver area. Just another crooked recruiting company that puts FAKE ads in wasting candidates time!

Dear HR Manager:

I sent my resume for a postion I was interested in and received a generic e-mail saying "most of your position pay between $9-$12/hr. and are receptionist/clerical." So I did not pursue it.

However, when I see ads in job boards for your company, they seem to usually state that the position pays between $18-$20/hr. I'm confused. Which is it?

I am looking for a higher level admin/marketing position.

Would you please clarify?

Thank you!

Marq in Denver, Colorado

78 months ago

They are obviously putting in fake ads to get better jobs in; thus more money for them. Unfortunately the better jobs are few and far between!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

drkat in Rochester, New York

78 months ago

Some one who worked at CZN. in Rochester, New York said: We as IT professionals also hardly have any choice, but to work with these people(recruiting firms), who half of the time BTY don't even know what the technical requirments for the job are or the difference between programming languages.
It makes it hard to sell something if you do not know what the product is or what the customer needs.
Where have all the real "head hunters" gone, who actually knew something about IT?

If you see this (you worked @ CZN) I did too round that time.. hit me back

Someone who worked at CZN in East Bloomfield, New York

78 months ago

drkat in Rochester, New York said: If you see this (you worked @ CZN) I did too round that time.. hit me back

What group did you work for drkat?

78 months ago

I worked @ Stone Street, at the Corporate Helpdesk

Someone who worked at CZN in East Bloomfield, New York

78 months ago

I worked at Stone too for a while until they moved us over to Clinton, I was a programmer.

78 months ago

what did you program?

Bob in Littleton, Colorado

78 months ago

If you had an issue with the vacation policy, you could have brought it up before signing the contract.

Has ANYONE ever heard of anyone working for an agency who actually GETS AN EARNED vacation? I've NEVER heard ONE person!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Williamsburg, Virginia

78 months ago

Apex Systems actually has a vacation policy one you have worked there for a few months. As a contractor, you need to take time off into account when negotiating your hourly rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

E v in Vancouver, British Columbia

77 months ago

Marlene Eeg in Knoxville, Tennessee said: What can you tell us about TEK? Anything specific?

Yes, I've had a *very* negative experience with Tek, in line with the comments above - I can totally understand his frustrations!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Illinois in Illinois

74 months ago

Mathman in Newburgh, Indiana said: TEK called me yesterday about a job in Illinois. When I asked about per diem, I was told they would pay $5/hour per diem. When I suggested their perdiem was their problem, the recruiter got bent out of shape. So much for this worthless company.

I know of Teksystem's also offer for the grand total of $5 per diem an hour. Even if your home base is more than 600 miles away, the offer is still at $5 per diem per hour. That is not only extremely unreasonable, it is an insult. Based on an 8 hour day that is only $40 per day / $200 per week / $800 per month. The IRS allows for alot more than that per day. The minimum the IRS suggests is more than three times that per day. The end result is: if you pay a second rent, travel to and from your home base (add additional costs ie food), you are out of luck if you work for Teksystems. Not only will they NOT give you what you are entitled to, they will not reason with you and will not supply you with a logical explanation. If you were in these circumstances, you work hard at your job, be able to pay for meals and maybe one week's worth of lodging but you would have to live on the streets in the city where you are working for the remainder of the month. They obviously prefer this than paying you a reasonable per diem rate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Caroline Wright in Alexandria, Virginia

74 months ago

I, too along with everyone else have my share of frustration with Agencies. However I do have a have at least in my area that are worthwhile.

RANDSTAD As with other agencies, you have to go through the paperwork and testing however, BEFORE I even went in, they gave me the name of the company and and all the information about the job, not just "I have a couple of assignments that could be a good fit".

SPARKS - They kept me constantly busy (I did administrative work at the time) on various assignments, different lengths, different projects picking up new skills.

THE BEST FOR ME WAS SPHERION, AMERICAN RED CROSS CHAPTER, WASHINGTON, DC. I have been doing Administrative work of an on most of my work career, and while I am a non-traditional student could not find a permanent job getting out of Admin. Back in 2005, I have the opportunity to do SharePoint, a system by microsoft. I fell in love with it and hoped it would use it again.

Lo and Behold, a recruiter from Spherion noticed the "SharePoint" work amidst all the administrative work, even though I hadn't used it in 3 years (My resume was on Craigslist) and asked if I wanted to take a 4 week assignment making 50.00 an hour (I tell you right now, I don't give a flying fish egg how much of a cut they got - I had never made that much before)

While they did not have any other assignments for after it was over (I knew I was taking a chance) I realized I had a skill that I loved that was really worth money to someone. I put my resume on DICE and got a call from a government contractor. I am now a Web Developer with a DOT agency.

All of this because of Spherion seeing a skillset they needed in me, even though it wasn't recent and taking a chance on me. So keep your options open - you never know.

bizznonya in Texas

73 months ago

Tammy said: So what have you done to get a job? Have you gotten one yet? I am so pissed to find all of this out.

What you folks have to remember is that these companies do not work for you and are not paid by you.They are paid by, and work for, their clients. Their priority is to please the client..not you. They would not p*ss on you if your head was on fire:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

72 months ago

bizznonya in Texas said: What you folks have to remember is that these companies do not work for you and are not paid by you.They are paid by, and work for, their clients. Their priority is to please the client..not you. They would not p*ss on you if your head was on fire:)

OK thanks for sharing that very eloquent note to everyone.

So does anyone wonder why everyone on this board HATES recruiting companies???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christopher Lo Pinto in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

Jenny Hatcher in Trenton, Ohio said: I have to comment on this one. It does matter because it is a waste of money. These companies do not provide that much value. What they do in the end is provide you payroll which should only cost $50/paycheck at the most. If 200% of what you get paid is what they get the that is what you are worth and you should get it for your efforts/time. Profit should not be made off of labor at least by a middle man.

"Profit should not be made off of labor at least by a middle man" Jenny, you are in the wrong country is that is how you feel....I think you would be happier in Cuba.

sactoca in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

Did you finish school, or have you been listening to some republican talk-head? This government has been trying to cut out our overseeing body of employment called middle management or the middle man since Reagan became President in 1981. That is when our first white collar lay-offs in history occured. They have a use, but on the other hand if you are a contractor and have the tallent that is needed for the services intended, then it has been the contractor that makes the bulk (usually 60%) of the pay. Until recently that is. Argue that point. And don't start throwing around other countries like you know what you are taking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Martin in Piscataway, New Jersey

71 months ago

Steve in New Jersey in Montclair, New Jersey said: I agree as well. I have stopped dealing with ALL recruiters.

Please add cyberThink to this list-just 3rd party BS with many many layers in between.

Sarah C in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

I loved reading all of these comments. Hopefully I don't get flogged, but I have been an IT Recruiter for 7 years. I would totally agree with some of these comments as I have encountered shading business practices, been brainwashed by the 1st company I worked for and have dealt with some unhappy folks.

I can only speak for myself. I have never tried to screw anyone -My advice to anyone looking for a position is this: going into an office for half a day and completing BS testing etc does not guarantee you a job - trust me- the last thing I want to do all day is meet with people who I can't put to work. Take it for what it's worth -just another avenue that may or may not help you in landing your next position. Just like the job boards or having a friend at a company. I never ask candidates for their references until I have secured an interview for them. It is easy enough to find leads through other sources than references. I would also send an e-mail to the recruiter and ask for a confirmation back that these references will not be solicited.

If you are good at what you do you will find a job. If you hate recruiters don't answer the phone and delete their e-mails. Last I checked we weren't going door to door. Post a note on your resume stating that you do not want to be contacted by recruiters.

On another note I was born and raised in CA and speak perfect English. This country is made up of foreigners - I speak to candidates all day –some with accents and do not discount their abilities. It may be a little more difficult to communicate with them but I would never be prejudice. If you work in IT I would get used to the fact that you will most likely be working with people from all over the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Lake Mary, Florida

39 months ago

I lost my job in 4/2010 as my job was outsourced to India and have been agressively seeking employment since. It is extremely frustrating to receive calls from recruiters whom cannot even be understood as they cannot speak English. To make things even worse I have had a few interviews with companies who's interviewer did not speak English, I could not understand a word that was being said, needless to say I do not believe I responded to the questions as I would have had I been able to understand the interviewer. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ESPECIALLY IN TODAY'S CLIMATE OF SO MANY UNEMPLOYED? Is it to ensure that the unemployed stay unemployed and the Indian's take over jobs in the USA that USA citizens could hold? It is so frustrating. THIS IS SO VERY WRONG. This is the USA we are an English speaking country.

Kerry13

35 months ago

Are you kidding me? You would not be typing on this forum if it weren't for IT groups! I worked my ass off, obtaining my degree, supporting my son and always having 2 jobs. The only difference in the hard work you are referring to, i.e., construction workers, etc.. is between what a person does with their body and with their mind.

moretolifethanrecruiting in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

Hey Al,
This is just one deceiving practice of recruiters.

Another one goes like this:
I get a call for a position from a recruiter at Modis on Tuesday. The job that he has for me is a 4-6 month position, but he tells me over and over again that their hiring almost all his clients on to full-time positions when the contract ends.
On Wednesday I tell him that thought I am nervous about the short time-frame, however, I’d be willing to give it a shot. The recruiter quotes me one hourly rate and then emails me 2 days later and says how about $49.00 an hour, no benefits (which is about $2.00 dollars lower that he originally promised on the phone with Modis providing benefits at no cost to me). I simply explained to him that after consulting with my family, the original rate he gave me on the phone and the short contract was not enough for me to make the move. He comes back with $51.00 dollars and hour and tells me that he thinks he can get that amount if he tells the employer about my accounting software experience. I explained to him again that it really is not about the money. I’m just a little reluctant about the short term contract. He came back with the following response “How about $55.00?”, he stated via email.

This is where it gets juicy. He emails me in a panic and says, “I tell you what, if you can commit to me right now, would you take the job if I can get the equivalent salary under a full-time permanent job with benefits”.
As a side note -- On Tuesday, when the recruiter first spoke with me on the phone, he said there was absolutely no possibility for a full-time for this position. So, I emailed him and asked if another position with the company had come up that had different terms. He said, “no, this is the same position…. I am just able to pull some strings because I know the employer. If you can commit to me, I can get you in full-time”.
I explained to him “Why was a full-time position so distant just 2 short days ago"?

moretolifethanrecruiting in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

(cont.)

don’t want to make any assumptions, but was a full-time position always a possibility”?

He came back in such a rage (via email) saying “how dare I question his integrity” and “…I think it’s better if we part ways”.
That is my experience with Modis. A very shady “bait and switch” tactic to see if they can get you cut at the throat first, and then when they get into a tight spot, they pull out the “FULL-TIME” card!!!
You know darn well that the employer on the other end has no clue what is happening. The employer most likely wants a full-time individual, but Modis tells them “well, he/she only wants to be hourly” or something similar.

I’m done with Modis. GAME OVER!

IT Burnout in Mesa, Arizona

22 months ago

Ya know, IT stinks. It's one of those fields where unless you get to be a director and don't mind job hopping every 2 years there's no joy.
The cold truth is that IT is and always will be a cost center. IT neither produces, creates or innovates anything. Sorry but that's how it is. The field exists to service other fields. It's the 21st century equivalent of the 20th century auto mechanic. Highly trained/skilled, necessary but not well respected and a dime a dozen.

The recruiting side is hopeless as well. Most recruiters have no clue about the positions they advertise. I can't how many times I've heard the excuse, "I'm not a technical person" Yet you placed the ad and are somehow qualified to evaluate a candidate. Worse you rely on your sales manager to make the call who has even less of a clue than you do.
Recruiting is full of bad actors because nobody who owns these companies gives a damn about the recruiters, the candidates or the employer clients. All they care about is short term windfall. That's why it's rare to have consecutive contracts with the same firm. Usually, once they get you in and get their money their done with you. Of course that doesn't apply to all of them.
Robert Half has a bad reputation of moving candidates from one client to another if they can get more money thus screwing the old client. Further, they'll actively recruit new candidates from their client pool right behind the client's back. That's a bad deal all around. The gullible candidate ends up with a bunch of empty promises and a broken relationship at their now former employer. The client ends up screwed for talent and bid up to fill the newly vacant position caused by Half and when the client figures this out they never work with them again. T

IT Burnout in Mesa, Arizona

22 months ago

Ya know, IT stinks. It's one of those fields where unless you get to be a director and don't mind job hopping every 2 years there's no joy.
The cold truth is that IT is and always will be a cost center. IT neither produces, creates or innovates anything. Sorry but that's how it is. The field exists to service other fields. It's the 21st century equivalent of the 20th century auto mechanic. Highly trained/skilled, necessary but not well respected and a dime a dozen.
What ruined IT was the influx of wannabe's in the 90's whose incompetence devalued an already shaky profession. So now you have people with 80K in school loans and training costs begging for 40K/yr for 60 hours a week.
The recruiting side is hopeless as well. Most recruiters have no clue about the positions they advertise. I can't how many times I've heard the excuse, "I'm not a technical person" Yet you placed the ad and are somehow qualified to evaluate a candidate. Worse you rely on your sales manager to make the call who has even less of a clue than you do.
Recruiting is full of bad actors because nobody who owns these companies gives a damn about the recruiters, the candidates or the employer clients. All they care about is short term windfall. That's why it's rare to have consecutive contracts with the same firm. Usually, once they get you in and get their money their done with you. Of course that doesn't apply to all of them.
Recruiting is about sales which precludes any relationship that doesn't turn a quick buck. That's what you're dealing with so no use being upset over it. Deal direct when you can. The best news is that a lot of companies have dumped recruiting agencies and went back to their own HR departments. Your chances go up at least 50% dealing direct. Use the recruiting firms to fill in your unemployment contacts for the week because that's all most of them are good for...

watch86 in Washington

22 months ago

Wow! Thanks for the head up. So many scams nowadays, it is scary.

God in Wichita, Kansas

13 months ago

Go on a diet.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.