CROOKED RECRUITING COMPANIES

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 166 of 166)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

Christopher Lo Pinto in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

Jenny Hatcher in Trenton, Ohio said: I have to comment on this one. It does matter because it is a waste of money. These companies do not provide that much value. What they do in the end is provide you payroll which should only cost $50/paycheck at the most. If 200% of what you get paid is what they get the that is what you are worth and you should get it for your efforts/time. Profit should not be made off of labor at least by a middle man.

"Profit should not be made off of labor at least by a middle man" Jenny, you are in the wrong country is that is how you feel....I think you would be happier in Cuba.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sactoca in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

Did you finish school, or have you been listening to some republican talk-head? This government has been trying to cut out our overseeing body of employment called middle management or the middle man since Reagan became President in 1981. That is when our first white collar lay-offs in history occured. They have a use, but on the other hand if you are a contractor and have the tallent that is needed for the services intended, then it has been the contractor that makes the bulk (usually 60%) of the pay. Until recently that is. Argue that point. And don't start throwing around other countries like you know what you are taking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Martin in Piscataway, New Jersey

84 months ago

Steve in New Jersey in Montclair, New Jersey said: I agree as well. I have stopped dealing with ALL recruiters.

Please add cyberThink to this list-just 3rd party BS with many many layers in between.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah C in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

I loved reading all of these comments. Hopefully I don't get flogged, but I have been an IT Recruiter for 7 years. I would totally agree with some of these comments as I have encountered shading business practices, been brainwashed by the 1st company I worked for and have dealt with some unhappy folks.

I can only speak for myself. I have never tried to screw anyone -My advice to anyone looking for a position is this: going into an office for half a day and completing BS testing etc does not guarantee you a job - trust me- the last thing I want to do all day is meet with people who I can't put to work. Take it for what it's worth -just another avenue that may or may not help you in landing your next position. Just like the job boards or having a friend at a company. I never ask candidates for their references until I have secured an interview for them. It is easy enough to find leads through other sources than references. I would also send an e-mail to the recruiter and ask for a confirmation back that these references will not be solicited.

If you are good at what you do you will find a job. If you hate recruiters don't answer the phone and delete their e-mails. Last I checked we weren't going door to door. Post a note on your resume stating that you do not want to be contacted by recruiters.

On another note I was born and raised in CA and speak perfect English. This country is made up of foreigners - I speak to candidates all day –some with accents and do not discount their abilities. It may be a little more difficult to communicate with them but I would never be prejudice. If you work in IT I would get used to the fact that you will most likely be working with people from all over the world.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Lake Mary, Florida

52 months ago

I lost my job in 4/2010 as my job was outsourced to India and have been agressively seeking employment since. It is extremely frustrating to receive calls from recruiters whom cannot even be understood as they cannot speak English. To make things even worse I have had a few interviews with companies who's interviewer did not speak English, I could not understand a word that was being said, needless to say I do not believe I responded to the questions as I would have had I been able to understand the interviewer. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ESPECIALLY IN TODAY'S CLIMATE OF SO MANY UNEMPLOYED? Is it to ensure that the unemployed stay unemployed and the Indian's take over jobs in the USA that USA citizens could hold? It is so frustrating. THIS IS SO VERY WRONG. This is the USA we are an English speaking country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kerry13

48 months ago

Are you kidding me? You would not be typing on this forum if it weren't for IT groups! I worked my ass off, obtaining my degree, supporting my son and always having 2 jobs. The only difference in the hard work you are referring to, i.e., construction workers, etc.. is between what a person does with their body and with their mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

moretolifethanrecruiting in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Hey Al,
This is just one deceiving practice of recruiters.

Another one goes like this:
I get a call for a position from a recruiter at Modis on Tuesday. The job that he has for me is a 4-6 month position, but he tells me over and over again that their hiring almost all his clients on to full-time positions when the contract ends.
On Wednesday I tell him that thought I am nervous about the short time-frame, however, I’d be willing to give it a shot. The recruiter quotes me one hourly rate and then emails me 2 days later and says how about $49.00 an hour, no benefits (which is about $2.00 dollars lower that he originally promised on the phone with Modis providing benefits at no cost to me). I simply explained to him that after consulting with my family, the original rate he gave me on the phone and the short contract was not enough for me to make the move. He comes back with $51.00 dollars and hour and tells me that he thinks he can get that amount if he tells the employer about my accounting software experience. I explained to him again that it really is not about the money. I’m just a little reluctant about the short term contract. He came back with the following response “How about $55.00?”, he stated via email.

This is where it gets juicy. He emails me in a panic and says, “I tell you what, if you can commit to me right now, would you take the job if I can get the equivalent salary under a full-time permanent job with benefits”.
As a side note -- On Tuesday, when the recruiter first spoke with me on the phone, he said there was absolutely no possibility for a full-time for this position. So, I emailed him and asked if another position with the company had come up that had different terms. He said, “no, this is the same position…. I am just able to pull some strings because I know the employer. If you can commit to me, I can get you in full-time”.
I explained to him “Why was a full-time position so distant just 2 short days ago"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

moretolifethanrecruiting in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

(cont.)

don’t want to make any assumptions, but was a full-time position always a possibility”?

He came back in such a rage (via email) saying “how dare I question his integrity” and “…I think it’s better if we part ways”.
That is my experience with Modis. A very shady “bait and switch” tactic to see if they can get you cut at the throat first, and then when they get into a tight spot, they pull out the “FULL-TIME” card!!!
You know darn well that the employer on the other end has no clue what is happening. The employer most likely wants a full-time individual, but Modis tells them “well, he/she only wants to be hourly” or something similar.

I’m done with Modis. GAME OVER!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

IT Burnout in Mesa, Arizona

35 months ago

Ya know, IT stinks. It's one of those fields where unless you get to be a director and don't mind job hopping every 2 years there's no joy.
The cold truth is that IT is and always will be a cost center. IT neither produces, creates or innovates anything. Sorry but that's how it is. The field exists to service other fields. It's the 21st century equivalent of the 20th century auto mechanic. Highly trained/skilled, necessary but not well respected and a dime a dozen.

The recruiting side is hopeless as well. Most recruiters have no clue about the positions they advertise. I can't how many times I've heard the excuse, "I'm not a technical person" Yet you placed the ad and are somehow qualified to evaluate a candidate. Worse you rely on your sales manager to make the call who has even less of a clue than you do.
Recruiting is full of bad actors because nobody who owns these companies gives a damn about the recruiters, the candidates or the employer clients. All they care about is short term windfall. That's why it's rare to have consecutive contracts with the same firm. Usually, once they get you in and get their money their done with you. Of course that doesn't apply to all of them.
Robert Half has a bad reputation of moving candidates from one client to another if they can get more money thus screwing the old client. Further, they'll actively recruit new candidates from their client pool right behind the client's back. That's a bad deal all around. The gullible candidate ends up with a bunch of empty promises and a broken relationship at their now former employer. The client ends up screwed for talent and bid up to fill the newly vacant position caused by Half and when the client figures this out they never work with them again. T

IT Burnout in Mesa, Arizona

35 months ago

Ya know, IT stinks. It's one of those fields where unless you get to be a director and don't mind job hopping every 2 years there's no joy.
The cold truth is that IT is and always will be a cost center. IT neither produces, creates or innovates anything. Sorry but that's how it is. The field exists to service other fields. It's the 21st century equivalent of the 20th century auto mechanic. Highly trained/skilled, necessary but not well respected and a dime a dozen.
What ruined IT was the influx of wannabe's in the 90's whose incompetence devalued an already shaky profession. So now you have people with 80K in school loans and training costs begging for 40K/yr for 60 hours a week.
The recruiting side is hopeless as well. Most recruiters have no clue about the positions they advertise. I can't how many times I've heard the excuse, "I'm not a technical person" Yet you placed the ad and are somehow qualified to evaluate a candidate. Worse you rely on your sales manager to make the call who has even less of a clue than you do.
Recruiting is full of bad actors because nobody who owns these companies gives a damn about the recruiters, the candidates or the employer clients. All they care about is short term windfall. That's why it's rare to have consecutive contracts with the same firm. Usually, once they get you in and get their money their done with you. Of course that doesn't apply to all of them.
Recruiting is about sales which precludes any relationship that doesn't turn a quick buck. That's what you're dealing with so no use being upset over it. Deal direct when you can. The best news is that a lot of companies have dumped recruiting agencies and went back to their own HR departments. Your chances go up at least 50% dealing direct. Use the recruiting firms to fill in your unemployment contacts for the week because that's all most of them are good for...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

watch86 in Washington

35 months ago

Wow! Thanks for the head up. So many scams nowadays, it is scary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

God in Wichita, Kansas

26 months ago

Go on a diet.

Contractor in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

I agree with all of these solicitation, first let me say that all recruiters scour the internet boards and call you with the same opportunities. Some of them are verbatim word for word used by the company. Mostly those with foreign country accents. I don't even answer those calls anymore. If you want to work for a company it is best to have alerts sent to you from the company itself. Recruiters are the slimy sales people of the job-market, they have taken the title from used car dealers. It is best to tell everyone to stop using them and let them have to look for a job. They are horrific!

Briank in Tulsa, Oklahoma

5 months ago

You have got to be the one who is kidding. I challenge any recruiter to work the kind of hours I work. Tek Systems in particular is one of the shadiest companies I have ever dealt with. It is bad enough that while placing one candidate on my time, they are calling my other employees and trying to recruit them, but now they don't even wait until their fee is paid before trying to recruit someone they just placed with me for another customer.

Daimig in Oakland, California

4 months ago

Looks like the "Dr Rosen" quote was over 12 years ago, so some slack in incorprated into the following sentiment. Complete, utter, idiocy when applied to many years since. Allot what is seen in the nature of his comments lead me to consider that perhaps if these were the FTE types organizations ended up with, maybe we begin to see the beginnings of the path that led to where we are now, which is a country full of IT organizations that without the skill sets of contractors would continue to struggle with their woefully outdsted Infrastructures wondering where to begin to integrate the technology that's somehow passed by them. This will continue until they begin to understand that it is necessary to take care of your employees with long term loyalty and commitments from the very top down to support them and their families financially and with an ongoing technological training program that keeps both the employing organization and employee in the right place to take of each other for decades. Wishful thinking? Sure. Not possible anymore? I don't believe thst, but it does remain to be seen if we have those leaders in the generation currently occupying most those drivers seats or not.

JayBee in Union, New Jersey

2 hours ago

I agree with everything above. It's hilarious that I can post my resume on one of these sites like Monster Indeed or CB and receive almost 20 calls the next day from about 13 different agencies all regarding the same "available" positions... I am supposed to believe that 1. This job is real? 2. My resume literally drew sooo much attention (it's not that good tbh lol). 3. So many jobs just became available and I am such a good candidate that my resume was read and I was considered within less than 10hrs of posting it?

It's pathetic, someone has to do something... I went on an interview at L'Oreal here in NJ a few weeks ago that RandstadUSA. The kid who initially called me seemed decent, like a normal American kid (Indian name of course), and there was a Project Manager (probably the only white girl that worked there) who was supposed to meet me at the interview, well she never showed. I get it, use a white girl to represent your mostly immigrant made up company.. okay cool. Either way, she never showed, I didn't get the job after a pretty solid interview.

Now Randstad made the mistake of telling me there was only 1 other candidate and I had about 5+ years more experience than him. I was told the night after the interview the job was most likely mine they were just waiting to hear something back from the manager at L'Oreal I met with. Well, 3 days go by without hearing anything and the kid calls me and says "Sorry, they gave the job to the other candidate" I asked why would they hire someone less qualified than me... I was told "well they said you were too confident, a bit cocky, and that wasn't L'Oreal material." WOW, worst excuse I ever heard. I've been told I've seemed "not confident enough" or that I was the one with "less experience"... but never, NEVER that I was "too confident" and that considering all my experience I would probably not take the job as serious as someone young striving for a career.

This was for a 1 year contracted position. Sigh....

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.