How to get a job at TEKsystems.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

Do you work at TEKsystems? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Stan in Redlands, California

91 months ago

You don't get a job there - it is an agency that places you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stan in Redlands, California

91 months ago

You don't get a job at Teksystems... it is an agency that places you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cj in Orlando, Florida

91 months ago

Host said: Do you work at TEKsystems? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?
Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I work for TEK now, and have been contracting for the last six months. I also worked for them about 5 years ago for about 8 months. The key advice I would give is get to know all of the recruiters and stick with one who listens to you and responds to your emails, and/or phone calls within a short time. There are good recruiters and then there are ones that will tell you that they are going to get you a job and then forget about you 10 seconds after you leave. If you have any technical qualities highlight exactly how those translate into doing a real job, and don't be tied to a title or specific position. That will narrow your opportunities very much. You should deliver your resume to a local office in person, request a sit down and explain to the recruiter who helps you your goals--simple and concise. If you don't receive a call or an email with some kind of position possibility within 2 weeks or less, MOVE ON to another recruiter, and tell the next one why your talking to another recruiter. The key is, if you work...they make money, if you sit by the phone they and you make nothing.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Athens, Texas

91 months ago

Plain and simple, I would suggest working with another agency. I worked for them for a year,on a 90 day to hire contract no less, and they forgot about me. I had to ask the account manager if my recruiter was still with them. The company I worked at moved my contract to another region and I had to call TS instead of them calling me. They were that far out of touch with management. Keep in mind this was a MAJOR account in North Dallas. They told me they would contact the company and find out what was going on but they didn't. They were afraid to make the call b/c they may lose revenue. My job status was never part of their equation. I am a hiring manager and when i become employed once more, my first order of business will be removing them from the company if they have a presence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Contractor

90 months ago

Brad said: Plain and simple, I would suggest working with another agency. I worked for them for a year,on a 90 day to hire contract no less, and they forgot about me. I had to ask the account manager if my recruiter was still with them. The company I worked at moved my contract to another region and I had to call TS instead of them calling me. They were that far out of touch with management. Keep in mind this was a MAJOR account in North Dallas. They told me they would contact the company and find out what was going on but they didn't. They were afraid to make the call b/c they may lose revenue. My job status was never part of their equation. I am a hiring manager and when i become employed once more, my first order of business will be removing them from the company if they have a presence.

TEK Systems Contract Technical Recruiter (*name removed) in Knoxville, TN is a liar and a crook!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

#1 Bunny Mom in San Diego, California

90 months ago

cj in Orlando FLA, your advice is GOLD. I have worked with recruiters in San Diego for the past 7 years and the best recruiter I had was responsive, caring, a good listener; in short, he worked for me, not against me. You have got to find a recruiter who is "in your corner," one that you establish a relationship with. Otherwise, you get nowhere. My recruiter was at Manpower but moved on to USD so his entire mission statement changed and I've never found another recruiter like him and unfortunately it shows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Dallas, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

AD in Huntington Beach, California said: It is a little known secret, but most salaried employees especially IT and computer programmers are entitled to overtime pay in California, even if they are told they are exempt. This firm at www.paymeovertime.com is currently litigating in class action against some of the largest companies in America and they also take on individual cases. The client pays nothing unless they win or settle! I hope this was helpful.

I have had mixed experiences with TEKsystems. In Allentown/Philly PA they were horrible. The recruiter didnt get back to me in a timely fashion. He also didnt show up on time at the employer site at interview time. They were the worst. I also delt with them out of Harrisburg PA and they were much more organized and communicated with me much better. Overall, i think recruiters only want to deal with you long enough to know if they can make money off of you. If they can't, they are gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ex-Moto in DFW in Burleson, Texas

87 months ago

TekSystems was attentive while I was working full time but I let them know we were facing a major layoff early this year and they said they would help find places for myself and others. As soon as I was laid off, they have completely disappeared on me. I am not happy with the way they treated us and would not recommend them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BigBill79 in DFW in Garland, Texas

87 months ago

Has any one had a bad experience w/ the TEK Systems office or any one recruiter at the Dallas office? I just started talks w/ them, I had a bad experience w/ another recruiter in the past. I was hired to a warehouse job in 2000 w/ in 1 month the company went belly up, I never got my last pay check. The explaination I got from the recruiter was since the company isn't paying them they won't pay me. I was told by a recruiter I sat down w/ last week from TEK Systems that they would pay me for every hr that i work. If the co. I am working for doesn't pay them for my last pay check TEK Systems would still pay me. So has anyone had another experience than that? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Geeyore in Washington, District of Columbia

86 months ago

Brad in Athens, Texas said: they forgot about me. I had to ask the account manager if my recruiter was still with them.

Hah. I had that experience. I did a short-term, high-profile gig under Tek for the executives of a federal agency. It was flat-out for 30 days, deliver the work product, and leave. I was pretty confident I'd done a good (even superior) job.<p>So a week or two later I ask "my" recruiter for some client feedback. Days go by, nothing. I call back. "Oh, they said you did a good job." "That's it? Can you call back and ask for something more, or ask if they'd be OK with me calling?" "Oh, sure, yeah." Another week, nothing. Another couple rounds, so I call back, but this time "He's gone, left the company last week."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Geeyore in Washington, District of Columbia

86 months ago

powerof2 in Pasadena, California said: They specialize in mostly short-term contracts and if you're trying to get a decent salary out of them, forget it.

I've been making quite a decent living for 10+ years doing short- to medium-term contract work almost exclusively.

Tek is *not* very good at getting those types of contracts, despite what they tell people. Most of the stuff I heard from them was contract-to-hire, which I absolutely refuse to entertain (on the basis that it exists *only* to benefit the employer).

As for salary, Tek does seem to underbid its jobs, which means they don't pay well after they skim their 33 percent vig. Hell, I don't mind if they make $50K a year on my back, but they darned well better pay me fairly for it. And Tek doesn't pay fairly IMO unless they're stuck with a client who really wants to hire you, then they'll bite the bullet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Walt in Huntington Beach, California

86 months ago

Did you receive overtime pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Walt in Huntington Beach, California

86 months ago

powerof2 in Pasadena, California said: These guys are headhunters. The place you wherever. They specialize in mostly short-term contracts and if you're trying to get a decent salary out of them, forget it.

Have you worked jobs in the past 4 years in CA where you did not get paid overtime?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hypergamma in Salt Lake City, Utah

84 months ago

I quit a job to work for them. They promised it was a six months to hire position. Turns out that It only lasted over two weeks . The last day they sent me an e-mail not to show up but I didn't get it and went to the job site. At the sight they said they didn't need me and that TEK systems had another job for me (they didn't). I worked a few hours anyway then the recruiter called me. He told me that the company was unhappy with my hygine and work rate ( it was on a construction site in over 100 degree heat). The job was not a match for my skills and they HAD another job that was A PERFECT MATCH. I am seriously considering what I can do because they caused me alot of damage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

havoc in Allentown, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

Terrible place. They manipulate your pay constantly. If your contact at the company you are consulting for through them claims you did not work a number of hours they will not pay you. Management is terrible and the recruiters could care less. They honestly don't bother and managed to botch two assignments I had through them. Not only that but they seriously underpay and like most recruiters, the benefits that you can purchase through them are a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tired in Winston Salem, North Carolina

39 months ago

You will be lucky if they actually place you in a job.
To get a job at (through) Teksystems you must first go out and find an IT related job yourself, with an employer that is willing to work with Teksystems. Then you need to call their local office and explain the situation to them. Even if Teksystems has a contract to fill the exact job you found, it is unlikely that their recruiters will know about it. Then you have to have the employer call the same recruiter and specify you for the job. After doing all of that, there is a 50/50 chance that Teksystems will actually do their paperwork and finish the deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.