What's the company culture at Target?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Target?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Target?

Reply - Report abuse

Slag in Columbia, Maryland

91 months ago

Target grades you "red yellow or green" on everything from the initial psych exam to job performance.

This is not a company to work for if you're a decision maker and/or risk taker. Everything is planned. And, as above, your ability to follow the plan is graded red, yellow or green.

Growth opportunities?

Yes. But the corporate culture is so hyped it remains difficult to take it seriously-particularly if hourly turnover hangs in around 80%...my experience.

Final opinion: Spare yourself the hype...find a company that has more substantial reasons to be impressed with itself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Ex Manager

85 months ago

The style is MANAGEMENT BY BODY COUNT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Amy Haun in Maryville, Tennessee

84 months ago

I am a current team leader I am a GSTL
I have worked with here for the pat 5 years.
The culture is supposed to be Fast Fun and Friendly.
I have found that you are expected to run 90 miles an hour the entire shift. You are given allot of work and no time to do it. I think that this overall is a good company to work for.
But the employees are not given the chance to make any changes, You are expectd to follow what ever HQ wants first and ask questions later. (conform then challange)
Although even when you confrm first you are often not given a chance to challange.
Target often does make changes and does not inform those that need to know untell you have a visit from the distrect team lead. I have found my self looking like a deer caught in the headlights many times.
My oppinion is if you are new to the management fieal and need allot of direction then Target is a good place to start. But for those that would like to be given a little more freedom to take risks then they should not work for Target

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

jamemsrichard

79 months ago

are there any blogs on Target?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Stephen in Tampa, Florida

79 months ago

Target is a great company to work for , Honestly there are some hard days and there are some easy days. People might start drama but that happens at every job. Honeslty I think the person makes the job the job does not make the person. People complain all the time about working at target but people compalin about every job all the time. I hate people that complain about working at Target it's a job you have to make it the best. It's your job to ither stick with this job or move on to another job. To me target is more then a job because I want to be there for the rest of my life I hope to see my self as a Store Manager or DTL one day. I love working at target and the people that dont love working there just need to find a new job to complain about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

AnitaJOB

48 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Target?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Target?

This is my personal opinion. If you are in between jobs do not work at Tgt.If you are starving do not work at Tgt.
I have worked there for 14 months after being laid off from a real job.
I have had my self esteem ruined, am constantly bullied and had my hours cut because I do not want to close/open in two diffferent areas.
Please do not take this lightly. I hooked myself to the job and now regret it. They pick out two or three people on the "team"
to show what can happen. I have friends that I have made there tell me, "I dont know how you take it". I know that it is a choice to work there and that is made quite clear. However when you are unable to leave because of laws that dont allow voluntary unemployent-I am screwed. I feel that this job has actually made me less employable, because people tell me that I now project a "beat down" image. If you dont feel like this and you work there, I applaud you, But for others that are suffering I actually feel your pain.
Just my opinion.
Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Transplanted Target Spouse in Minneapolis, Minnesota

44 months ago

My spouse works there as a buyer. I think the answer to this question depends on who you are and where you’re coming from. Target is very reflective of Minnesota culture in general: young, trend conscious, lots of social events (happy hours, etc) and surface friendly. They pay well and have good benefits. If you’re from here, you’ll probably love it.

If not, the ‘Minnesota Nice’ brand of passive aggression can take some getting used to. He has been in several departments (most of the buyers move around a lot); some depts that he loved and some that were very cliquey and political. Direct communication is somewhat frowned on and the ‘externals’ (Target speak for hired from outside MN/another company) have a fairly high turnover rate (They come – they freeze – they leave). He’s in his early 30s and feels really old, the median age seems to be around 28 and we suspect that the over 40s are shipped off somewhere. I suspect that we will be seeking greener (and warmer) pastures before long….

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Backroom Guy in Rockland, Maine

37 months ago

I was a Backroom Team Member for about 3 months over the summer. Thats about all I could take working for this company. First off, the store management was the biggest group of back-stabbers I have ever come across. They would say one thing, and then do another. They never listened and were incredibly sensitive to suggestions. If you even hinted at possibly doing anything different then the exact textbook way, you go black-listed. They would go out of their way to make your life miserable, and would constantly stick you with the worst jobs. The turnover rate was outrageously high because of this. In the 3 months I worked here, 4 people left. I talked to my Team Lead and he told me that turnover rate is about normal. Thats of a backroom staff of about 16. So 25% of your employees leave every 3-4 months?

We were also constantly under-staffed in the back-room. We never had enough man-power to get done what management wanted, but yet it was somehow always our fault. Management always spun it as the lazy back-room workers not getting enough done, despite the fact we had only 3 guys doing a job that should be done by 5-6.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Candi Johnson in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Back room guy,
My father who is deaf is currently working as logistic (night shift) at target. He often complains to me how poorly target is treating him.I like to speak up for him and demanded a meeting between me and H.R. I would like to know if it's true about if there is a monthly chat session at target.(i read it in indeed) My father has never gotten a performance review, how often do you get one since you work there? His story is exactly like yours, it's disheartening and sad. I like to help my dad to improve his working environment but I need all the information I can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lana in New York, New York

37 months ago

hourly people are given a performance review once a year. It might be different in other stores but in the one I worked at it was given around March/April sometimes they didn't get around to it until May or June. Candi I strongly recommend your father finds another job. Target is just as bad as walmart. Honestly a meeting with hr will just make it worse. They treat their employees so bad. I worked there for two years doing plano and out of nowhere they cut me from 40 hrs to 5. It wasn't just like a one time thing. It started around January. I figured it's after Christmas and kinda slow so I waited but when May came around and I still was only getting 5 hours a week. I had to quit. A year after I worked there my husband took a job there. He started around August and was NEVER told it was seasonal and never signed anything saying he was seasonal. After Christmas he was let go because they had him in the computer as seasonal. He found a much better job with shoprite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

NYC worker in New York, New York

35 months ago

AnitaJOB said: This is my personal opinion. If you are in between jobs do not work at Tgt.If you are starving do not work at Tgt.
I have worked there for 14 months after being laid off from a real job.
I have had my self esteem ruined, am constantly bullied and had my hours cut because I do not want to close/open in two diffferent areas.
Please do not take this lightly. I hooked myself to the job and now regret it. They pick out two or three people on the "team"
to show what can happen. I have friends that I have made there tell me, "I dont know how you take it". I know that it is a choice to work there and that is made quite clear. However when you are unable to leave because of laws that dont allow voluntary unemployent-I am screwed. I feel that this job has actually made me less employable, because people tell me that I now project a "beat down" image. If you dont feel like this and you work there, I applaud you, But for others that are suffering I actually feel your pain.
Just my opinion.
Good luck

This is a perfect example of how many do feel. Target will beat you down if you have any real passion for the job. Don't get brainwashed into Target because you'll never last at another company. The "Beat down" analogy is exactly how I feel. shame on Target!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FastFun&FasterFunner in Chandler, Arizona

29 months ago

Candi Johnson in Chicago, Illinois said: Back room guy,
My father who is deaf is currently working as logistic (night shift) at target. He often complains to me how poorly target is treating him.I like to speak up for him and demanded a meeting between me and H.R. I would like to know if it's true about if there is a monthly chat session at target.(i read it in indeed) My father has never gotten a performance review, how often do you get one since you work there? His story is exactly like yours, it's disheartening and sad. I like to help my dad to improve his working environment but I need all the information I can get.

Hello Ms. Johnson: I am a target team member who has worked for target on and off for about a year and a half now, and I have a disability. If I can be of any assistance to you, please email me.
luisrelias@gmail.com
I know this posting is rather late… But I hope that I can offer you or anyone advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exoclipse in Undisclosed, Illinois

24 months ago

I'm an hourly, store operations team member working for Target. Target is not necessarily a bad place to work, but you have to know the place before you apply. Talk to the team members working for the store you're applying at. See how they feel. Ask them what the management is like.

I have the good fortune of working for one of the best stores in the company. We're routinely used as a test-bed for new ideas and projects, and risk-taking is pretty well rewarded if successful here. My management is generally open to new ideas - I've done the equivelent of asking the logistics team to reverse the tide and lo, the next day the tide was reversed. Our turnover is relatively low on the salesfloor - 20%, usually to people getting real jobs.

We have a culture of development and promotion. Target, at it's best, is a company that wants to get the best out of each employee without being inhumane. We get lunch breaks every 4-4.5 hours. Paid 15 minute breaks every two. We get paid minimum to start, but after 22 months, I'm making 20% above minimum, as an entry level team member.

If you're paying your way through college, it's a good place. You HAVE to be self-reliant, confident, and charismatic to go places. And you have you be reliable. And you have to accept that, unless you're on a specialty team - planogram, in-stocks, price-change, logistics, AP - you probably won't get more than 25-30 hours a week. That's industry standard.

And if it says anything, we get lots of ex-Best Buy employees. They stay with us.

I hope this is helpful to prospectives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jcswift in Torrington, Connecticut

16 months ago

I have worked for target for almost 6 years.I helped open the store.just Luke everyone else there are some great people and some asses. Luckily where I work there are more great people . I am bipolar and in the time I have worked here I have been hospitalized 3 times and the have gone out of there way to help me. It's a very tricky thing to get meds that work well.in the beginning when the where trying to get my meds right my when I was haveing issues would tell me to go take 5 and calm down.or whatever noothet place would ever let that happen.. all jobs have ups and downs but target. Has been great to me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mia in Brisbane, Australia

5 months ago

I've been working for target for a year now. The store that I work in has the best store manager. I currently am working as door greater and on registers. My supervisors are so great, and I have great relationships with my colleagues. I love going to work! My hours are flexible, and my managers are super understanding, and are willing to answer any questions that I have. I did have troubles when I was first employed with my online induction, but they apologized several times and made sure I was super confident with training in other departments. They are super consistent with making sure we get the right breaks and that all casual employees get at least 3 shifts a week, but it can get hard with 100 full time staff. Target is my first job, and I'm so happy it was! The Target store that I'm employed at takes great care of their employees, and most importantly their customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.