target is bogus

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 173)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

rejected in Saint Paul, Minnesota

90 months ago

I applied for this job. they made me take a 2 hour psych profile assessment. I interviewed with 5 different people , all who supposedly had an opening for the same type of positon. about a week later I got a phone call f

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (157) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

as I was saying...about a week later I got a phone call from the hr person saying basically "thanks but no thanks" because they are pursuing a more "qualified" person. dont waste your time with this BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

90 months ago

James said: What was their reason for rejecting you? Do you have a degree?
Yes, I have a degree, the reason was that supposedly they had another "more qualified" candidate. which I know for a fact that they did not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

herb in Saint Louis, Missouri

90 months ago

maybe you just suck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

R U Kidding? in Silver Spring, Maryland

90 months ago

Herb in St Louis,
Your reply is funny as s***. I cant stop laughing. BUT it's kinda cruel. It's not easy finding a job. People who are on this forum are usually searching for a job. I am an out of work, high level 6 figure earning management person in her 40's. The more qualified or compensated you are, the harder it becomes to land a position. Are you in you're mid career phase of life???? Probably not. At James isnt beating himself up! But thanks for the laugh!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Belief

90 months ago

Certainly, I can relate I am in my 40's, and after numerous interviews with various companies I just landed a job. My advice is to hang in there, and never give up hope. Keep in mine that the right opportunity will come in time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby Mitchell in New Orleans, Louisiana

90 months ago

rejected said: I applied for this job. they made me take a 2 hour psych profile assessment. I interviewed with 5 different people , all who supposedly had an opening for the same type of positon. about a week later I got a phone call f

Thanks for the Information, I just received a call from them today. This is Great Information To Know. I am in my mid 40's and know they are not going to pay what I am use to making, but I will listen. I am in a postition where I do not have to accept their offer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Colorado in Aurora, Colorado

89 months ago

I also had 4 interviews with 3 store managers and the District Manager. Each interview went well. From my understanding if one of the ancillary interviews is poor you would not continue on. Also completed the psych eval. I hate that I get to the last interview to hear that they have chosen someone else. Remembering that in the fact finding phase the HR rep stated that they are not looking to fill specific positions but to hire talent into the organization. I am also in the same situation as most on here. Just hit 42, 20 years at 1 company, and an MBA and doctorate in management. But still searching going on year 2. Target jobs seems to be bogus

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Debbie said: I live in Minneapolis and have applied for so many jobs at the corporate office, which I am qualified for, and only had one phone interview that I thought went quite well. Well, I guess it did not because I got the kiss off email that they hired from within. Five years ago I took the psych test and was insulted. They might of just of well sniffed my underwear! Employers are going too far and the EVIL EMPIRE, I mean Target is nuts and I do not waste my energy applying for their positions anymore!!!!
I used to work for two other Dayton Hudson entities (20 years ago) and they had integrity...But DH sold them off....
heres my take on target...I think at some point a few years ago upper management or someone with alot of gravitas made the executive decision to start transforming target(corp HQ)into a a much younger,hipper, and cooler place to work. Im in my 40's and I couldnt help noticing that all the people that I saw there with the exception of a few people...were all in their 20's and low 30's. I really feel like I was discrinated against because of my age... and Im sure im not the only one out there...so come on people,,,lets get the facts out here about the mighty target here in minneapolis...they only want to hire you if your in shape,attractive , and in your 20's or low 30's.....they should be forced up the evolutionary ladder as far as ethical hiring practices go...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

GIS guy in Atlanta, Georgia

89 months ago

Yes, I agree, When I was at the corporate office most of the employees were young, hip, cool and very attractive. It is definitely something the hiring managers take into consideration, or at least that is what my friends at the EVIL EMPIRE say.....As far as the GIS job from what I can tell some departments are easier to get into than others. The one guy I know in the location analysis department started as an intern and was hired, but he said most of the applicants have MBA's or higher. My previous co-worker was hired after 1 face-to-face interview plus the initial phone interview in a totally different department, and he was in his low 30's, tall, in shape, typical swede from MN. My guess is some departments are easier to get into....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Westmin in Medford, New Jersey

89 months ago

If I had a MBA and DR I would not be applying to Target. Why not teach?

Target recently did a shift in hiring ETLs and STLs to recent college grads. BTW those are store and department head acronyms. Anyway, they have put tons of resources into building their company culture.

Just accept it, they want people they can train in the Target mold, and typically those are young college folks.

As far as the first comment about not getting the positions. The other people who got hired are more qualified. Your probably only the best in your own head.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Colorado in Aurora, Colorado

89 months ago

My Dr is in Management and I like the people aspect of corporate America. I have applied for teaching as well. Just as political. You are right, everyone who posts on here are less qualified than every person chosen ahead of them. Thank you very much for the insight and take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joanna in Ontario, California

89 months ago

rejected said: I applied for this job. they made me take a 2 hour psych profile assessment. I interviewed with 5 different people , all who supposedly had an opening for the same type of positon. about a week later I got a phone call f

I have applied many times for jobs that I am very qualified for and Target NEVER calls. I don't think they even review any applications/resumes that are sent...... don't waste your time filling out the lengthy on-line application. I was also told that they only prefer to hire former military personnel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Justme Andmeagain in Upland, California

89 months ago

I know we can't all wait for opportunity's to reach us, but according to national age statistics-- in about 5 years the companies who refused to hire us "over 40's" types will be begging for any workers to fill their jobs because the end of the younger worker's enmasse availability ends about then. You see, about 20-30 years ago we had the Peace Generation (remember?) and many of them didn't have children, so.... in about 5 years companies like Target will really feel the pinch. It's already starting in some industries, IT is of course overcrowded with young groupies, but many other area's are already hard-hit, and need people on a constant basis. Look in your area, see where ELSE your background fits, and apply there. Don't wait for your old career field to catch up to you, find a new one!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

smashmouth in Saint Paul, Minnesota

89 months ago

Westmin said: If I had a MBA and DR I would not be applying to Target. Why not teach?
Target recently did a shift in hiring ETLs and STLs to recent college grads. BTW those are store and department head acronyms. Anyway, they have put tons of resources into building their company culture.
Just accept it, they want people they can train in the Target mold, and typically those are young college folks.
As far as the first comment about not getting the positions. The other people who got hired are more qualified. Your probably only the best in your own head.
This guy is an idiot,,, how would he know if the people that got hired were actually more qualified? maybe they werent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

karen-l in Saint Paul, Minnesota

89 months ago

I agree, this person is an idiot of the first order....how would he know, he probably works for target....but I have heard that they dont hire the smartest people anyway...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick-Minnesota in Saint Paul, Minnesota

89 months ago

Dont worry, Target gives the run around to EVERYONE. I interviewed at Target and was willing to take a pay cut (as Target pays crap) for the an 1-2 year exp. position. I got rejected just like you. Later I got hired by a big 4 firm, got my CPA and will make manager this year. Now I'd never give Target the time of day. You should look at being rejected by Target as your calling card to success!!! It means you're not a phony, overdressed kissa**. Keep your head up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

emma in San Francisco, California

88 months ago

Entry level.........I have applied to Target afew times for their entry level positions but no one has ever even sent me a regret letter/email. I have an undergraduate degree in business but it looks like target has its own people it hires. All i know, my good time will come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

terry in San Antonio, Texas

88 months ago

Wow all of you make it sound lke target is the place to be hired hey go to walmart they will hire you anyways, or if you are over qualified to fill any positions at target please do yourself a favorand keep trying, i mean don't bother with their rejection, go to a place where you'll be taken serious. There's companies far more interesting than target.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Minneapolis, Minnesota

88 months ago

I am very qualified, and in my 30's....I believe they are the snootiest...(is that a word) company I have ever dealt with. I know people that went to their company and left very fast. They will have to back off on their hiring techniques or face some issues down the road. Walmart is still kicking their butt in sales and store count and volume...so I guess the down to earth attitude still works...although walmart has added a few issues in the last 5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MR in Birmingham, Alabama

88 months ago

You know, reading all of these negative remarks so many of you made I can't help but think.....Target was right to turn you down. You each felt Target was good enough to interview with, yet when turned down you take it personally and attack them. Grow up and start acting like the level of executive this position is seeking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

R in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

88 months ago

Having been pursued by target for the past 3 years and backing away each time because I disliked the position, I venture to say that possibly your responses to their behavioral questions were not necessarily in line with the type of person that they were looking for. Bear in mind that there is no wrong or right answer per se. Were I an HR manager, I would certainly not tell a candidate that my assessment(or if you had multiple meetings - the Teams' assessment) of their potential performance does not align with the corporate culture. The tried and true "more /better etc qualified explanation" is utilized.

For future reference, although I'm sure you have already, read more on behavioral interviews and the questions that will invariably be asked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

R in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Having been pursued by target for the past 3 years and backing away each time because I disliked the position, I venture to say that possibly your responses to their behavioral questions were not necessarily in line with the type of person that they were looking for. Bear in mind that there is no wrong or right answer per se. Were I an HR manager, I would certainly not tell a candidate that my assessment(or if you had multiple meetings - the Teams' assessment) of their potential performance does not align with the corporate culture. The tried and true "more /better etc qualified explanation" is utilized.

For future reference, although I'm sure you have already, read more on behavioral interviews and the questions that will invariably be asked.

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Minneapolis, Minnesota

88 months ago

MR in Birmingham, Alabama said: You know, reading all of these negative remarks so many of you made I can't help but think.....Target was right to turn you down. You each felt Target was good enough to interview with, yet when turned down you take it personally and attack them. Grow up and start acting like the level of executive this position is seeking.

I did not get turned down, just simply stating my opinion. If I wanted advice, I would have asked you. This is a forum to share opinions of a company. It seems to me that Target has a lot of negative hiring experiences..but relax...this is only a forum and if I wanted your opinion, I and the others that you ripped would ask you it. You work for Target HR dont you? Ha Ha. Sean

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Minneapolis, Minnesota

88 months ago

You know, I have to agree about Target...I have a Bachelor of Business Administration from a reputable, private college, and have been a successful recruiter for over 6 years. When my company was sold, I applied to Target, as did 2 other laid off co-workers. In the interviews (we compared notes later), they asked each of us questions like "how do you plan on incorporating the 'Target Brand' into your personal life" (what in the hell does that have to do with ANYTHING!!! Hence the word PERSONAL!), and "how do you feel about working in a younger, more progressive environment?" First of all, I am 35 years old - no where near retirement! Secondly, I answered their questions with wit, intelligence, and (especially the offensive questions) a lot of diplomacy - I am, afterall, a recruiter, so I interview well. As it turned out, not a single one of us intelligent, persuasive, charming, professional recruiters were hired, and the job requisition remained open for a few months to follow. A friend of mine that works with an agency even tried to fill the req. on a temp to hire basis, to no avail...can someone tell me what Target is looking for??? I came across this conversation in search of work for my sister (God Bless Her, she wants to be a recruiter), and just had to sound.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Sean in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I did not get turned down, just simply stating my opinion. If I wanted advice, I would have asked you. This is a forum to share opinions of a company. It seems to me that Target has a lot of negative hiring experiences..but relax...this is only a forum and if I wanted your opinion, I and the others that you ripped would ask you it. You work for Target HR dont you? Ha Ha. Sean

RIGHT ON...SEAN...AMEN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Wycliffe in Saint Paul, Minnesota

88 months ago

MR in Birmingham, Alabama said: You know, reading all of these negative remarks so many of you made I can't help but think.....Target was right to turn you down. You each felt Target was good enough to interview with, yet when turned down you take it personally and attack them. Grow up and start acting like the level of executive this position is seeking.

well, I guess "MR" has told us , huh,,,well, I dont think any of us are wondering what the initials M R stand for...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I can't believe that MR and the others are in disbelief about Target's hiring practices...we can't ALL be unqualified. Oh, and really, what's so great about the Target Corporation anyhow? They are a discount retailer! They aren't nearly as successful as Walmart, although they think they offer a better shopping environment, which is sometimes true, sometimes not, depending on which Walmart and which Target you go to. To be quite frank, I would like to ask if their shopping environment and quality were truly superior to Walmart's, wouldn't they then be as successful as Walmart??? They appear to think that because Isaac Mizrahi works with them to provide a few low end garments, somehow that places them in a class above, perhaps likens them to Macy's. They tout their community involvement, yet they don't even allow the Salvation Army to ring bells in front of their stores at Christmas time (nice way to support the community). As far as their corporate culture of "young, progressive employees"...what does that have to do with the bottom line??? MOST PEOPLE, not just in the USA, but GLOBALLY, do not fit into their target demographic. They may be specializing themselves too much, which really isn't good for the long run! Personally, I would rather go to Walmart, it's cheaper (for the exact same items and brands) and I really can't stand their commercials that bastardize Beatles songs and, quite honestly, try to convince me and other Gen-xer's (in lieu of a better term) that they are somehow part of the new counter-culture. Whatever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

jimbo in alabama

88 months ago

I have a degree in marketing. I graduated in 2003 and I'm in my mid 40's. It's been tough finding a decent paying job. The job market is awful in my area, but I would consider relocation for the right opportunity. I've concentrated my job search on sales positions, but the lack of sales experience is killing me. My job experience is mostly retail. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

P.S. You're more likely to find what you're looking for at Walmart anyhow, as they do carry a more diverse product line (try buying these items at Target: paint, auto supplies, camping supplies, fabric, getting your oil changed, getting a pedicure, cigarrettes, okay cigs aren't a good example, but you gather my inference).

P.P.S. How specialized do you have to be, as a recruiter, to hire freakin clerks?????????? Give me a break! Difficult recruiting is health care, namely nurses, not IT, Management, retail or the like, as there is no shortage of these individuals. That's tip's for free MR!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Excuse me, I mean "that tip's for free." Perhaps that's why I didn't get the job way back when, LOL.

Oh, and my comment above:

"MOST PEOPLE, not just in the USA, but GLOBALLY, do not fit into their target demographic."

I would just like apologize for the bad pun ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Karla in Champlin, Minnesota

88 months ago

rejected in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I applied for this job. they made me take a 2 hour psych profile assessment. I interviewed with 5 different people , all who supposedly had an opening for the same type of positon. about a week later I got a phone call f

I recently applied for a job at Target and got the same response. I asked for their reason for turning me down and all I got was "we are seeking more qualified candidates". I have a bachelor's degree and over 8 years experience in this field. Target is a sham, the psyche profile they make you take is a joke.The interview process was so mechanical and unpersonal that I will never apply for another job at Target again. It is not the type of company that I would want to work for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

HR dude in Lyndhurst, Virginia

88 months ago

Lee in Colorado in Aurora, Colorado said: I also had 4 interviews with 3 store managers and the District Manager. Each interview went well. From my understanding if one of the ancillary interviews is poor you would not continue on. Also completed the psych eval. I hate that I get to the last interview to hear that they have chosen someone else. Remembering that in the fact finding phase the HR rep stated that they are not looking to fill specific positions but to hire talent into the organization. I am also in the same situation as most on here. Just hit 42, 20 years at 1 company, and an MBA and doctorate in management. But still searching going on year 2. Target jobs seems to be bogus

Please note that Target is not hiring people to do the job they are hiring talents to fit their organization culture and believes. I had a phone interview by some young punk who knows nothing about HR. Questions he asked me had nothing with my ability to do the job. Such as give me an actual example that some one tell you you were honest. This is called a behavior interview. If you watch a lot of movie you will pass these kind of tests or if you are in HR, you will also pass these type of test.

My recommendation is to skip Target and Home Depot; these are big companies and they do not hire people to do the job, they like young punks who know nothing but running their mouths. If you are over 30 you just don't get hired with these companies. I can guarantee you that. You are considered burn out and they cannot work you over 15 hours per day. If you have interviewed with them before you know that they would ask you. Can you give me a time that you go over and beyond your duty to complete an urgent assignment. You should say yes, I did and I worked over 20 hours that day and completed it. Here is how I did it.

These companies are evil.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Memphis, Tennessee

88 months ago

This is kind of strange. I do have to say that Target is a interesting company to work for. I am 25 years old. Before I came to Target 1 year ago I worked at Value City Department Store in Softlines as a Ladies Team Member making $8.15 and hour. I do have to say that Target really didn't even seem to care how much experience I had. They was looking at the fact that I was getting ready to Graduate with a Bachelors in Retail Management from the University of Phoenix. I have a HR Rep to call and ask if I would be interested in a Operations intern-ship here in Memphis,TN. Of course I accepted. I was a intern for about 4 months before they promoted me to an Executive Team Leader of Operations ( Which is another way to them of saying a Operation Manager or Assistant Store Manager-Operations ) The pay is actually great. I work at a New Target no a Super Target and my starting salary was $45,000 even. I did try to apply at Wal-Mart and Burlington Coat Factory before I finished my intern-ship. Wal-Mart tried to off me a Customer Service Manager position at only $12.05 and hour and Burlington just didn't bother to call at all. So I accepted the offer as an Excutive Team Leader-Operations at Target. Its actually a fun job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

brenv79 in Tyler, Texas

88 months ago

I guess these comments tickle me and are quite healing. I live in this area and me and the receptionist become good buddies but I never get the interview. I fill out the apps over and over that yard sales and plasma centers are becoming appealing. I am in my 40's have my degrees, and even gone back to school. I am an educated fool with no strong experience in any one thing. It is not what you know but who you know. I am sure what I expect other than a chance to prove myself. I am even going to a counselor hoping she would say I was going about it all wrong. That hasn't happened. Good luck everyone, Texas might just hire cause us locals have hell too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aralis in Flint, Michigan

88 months ago

I had a phone interview and then 3 interviews with 2 people at each one for a Team Leader opening at Target. I thought it went very well and I have 9 years of retail management experience. I am 31 and they didn't hire me. I found the whole interviewing process to be very nerve racking and one would think with all that effort they put into that process and all the questions they ask you would be offered a decent pay rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mike

88 months ago

I applied for a field recruiter position back in December, after a 1 hour phone conversation I was told they would get back to me in a week to let me know the status. Given my background of retail management experience and retail recruiting experience I should have been the perfect fit, but wait I don't have a 4 year degree? They knew this before we spoke but come on, let's stick our nose in the air to experience, what is that? Conversely I am currently working on getting that 4 year degree. Anyway two weeks go by I reach out to them to hear " Oh I am sorry but we have phone a better candidate, well why did you place an add that day?" Target has the worst internal promotion process and external hiring process, someone got the great idea of how to build talent but somehow they can't. Take a look at this, this job posting for the Philadelphia area has been posted since November, I was told sometime in January they had someone and today May 4 they are still looking to fill the position, good luck and Target is working it's way into the Mart world because they only hire people with a 4 year degree and NO customer service/retial experience, once these people get a taste I am sure they will take there career in another direction. Someone from Target plesee dispute my allegations, I dare you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Vernice

88 months ago

Personally, I feel Target posts jobs as one position ( more sr. position) and is actually hiring for 1st line supervisors. I found this to be true in their logistics postings. I applied for senior management positions but when I was called they said it was for "team leader" which is
a lower position. I was a bit offended because they were interviewing me for a team leader position when I have 16 years of distribution center mgmt. experience. I noticed in their latest postings they had the senior management postings for all DC locations which is bogus. Kind of a bait and switch recruiting tactic. Target should not be playing this game. They would like it if we wasted their time......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike

88 months ago

Vernice, I read your posting and you are 100% right. Just to follow up on your theory. I am well versed in the retail industry as well as recruiting with experience in both that being said my fiance has had a similar issue with Target. About a year an a half ago she left a retail pharmacy chain where she was the store manager (managed a staff of union and non union employees totaling 20 and $12million in sales) for Target at that point they said she would be better off coming in as a teal leader and should move up to an executive with in a year, 1 year 8 months later still has not happen instead they put your through extensive interviews to tell you why you are not qualified. They way the fill the executive positions is by hiring candidates right from college with no retail experience at a cheaper base, as a teal leader they can control there salary per say. Now Target has driven another person out of retail with there sneaking internal promotion system, my fiance has taken a position in her field of study (oh did I mention she has a BS degree and 5 years of retail management experience not including Target, as you can see this company is a joke, read between the lines if you are AN EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL DO NOT EXPECT TO BE OFFERED A SALARY POSITION OR BE PROMOTED TO ONE. THE TURNOVER IS HEAVY RIGHT NOW, TARGET DOES OFFER SOME QUALITY THINGS AS AN EMPLOYEE BUT UPWARD MOBILITY OR THE CHANCE TO BE VALUED IS NOT ONE OF THEM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LoveTarget in Stamford, Connecticut

87 months ago

I actually know a lot of people who worked at Target, interview at Target, shop at Target and love Target. I even know the hiring manager for this position. Target is a VERY competitive organization and they place less focus on skill set and more focus on growth potential. The hiring process is very rigorous and designed to select the cream of the crop. I would encourage those who have applied to keep trying and solicit as much feedback as possible

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Wycliffe in Saint Paul, Minnesota

87 months ago

LoveTarget in Stamford, Connecticut said: I actually know a lot of people who worked at Target, interview at Target, shop at Target and love Target. I even know the hiring manager for this position. Target is a VERY competitive organization and they place less focus on skill set and more focus on growth potential. The hiring process is very rigorous and designed to select the cream of the crop. I would encourage those who have applied to keep trying and solicit as much feedback as possible

clearly you are missing the point of this discussion here.... what most of the people on this thread are saying is that Target engages in unfair and discriminatory hiring practices...they discriminate against people over 40... they also discriminate against people who happen to be over-weight...the truth is out there and it does not look good for target's corporate image... they subject the job applicants who dare to apply for a "very competitive" positon to numerous and exhausting tests and observations only to reject them in the end with an email saying " oh, by the way, we will not be pursuing your candidacy" or something along those lines... I think people deserve to treated much better than this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mike

87 months ago

I agree Target is bogus and time will show that there hiring practices will destroy yet another solid retailer. Target hires for age, price and a degree, they are looking for someone who can not think for themselves and at the lowest possilbe price. The reason they have so manyt interviews and tests is to have an out when they want to turn a candidate out. Myself and many other canddiates have applied for positions an was told that they were pursuing a better candidate only to see the same job open for six more months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LoveTarget in New York, New York

87 months ago

I completely missed that point ... Target hires people of all ages, ethnicities, and culture. Have you ever walked into a Target store - there are all types of people there. And many people mentioned that when they walked into hdqtrs all they say were young, beautiful people. Target has several building in Mnpls and they house different depts. So if you walk into the merchant bldng downtonw, you are bound to see young, hip designers. If you walk into the IT and operations building dwntwn, you see a different array of people. And if youwalk into the buiilding outside of downtown, you will see another set of people. Similar to every company who has a complex organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Stunned in Canton, Ohio

87 months ago

I completed my first round of interviews with Target today. I am being considered for a Team Leader position. At the end of the interview, they asked if I could attend another round of interviews at a store 45 minutes away in a couple of weeks. The interview process was tiring but I was encouraged by their offer to advance to the next set of interviews. After perusing this board, I'm dismayed to see that many others feel the process was discriminatory. I guess what I'm wondering is why the local store would send someone on to the next round of interviews if you clearly do no meet their ideals? Does anyone know if each store has a quota that they must meet in regards to interviewing candidates? That's the only reason that I can think that they might waste the candidate's time as well as the interviewers' time at the next level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

phillp in Saint Paul, Minnesota

87 months ago

LoveTarget in New York, New York said: I completely missed that point ... Target hires people of all ages, ethnicities, and culture. Have you ever walked into a Target store - there are all types of people there. And many people mentioned that when they walked into hdqtrs all they say were young, beautiful people. Target has several building in Mnpls and they house different depts. So if you walk into the merchant bldng downtonw, you are bound to see young, hip designers. If you walk into the IT and operations building dwntwn, you see a different array of people. And if youwalk into the buiilding outside of downtown, you will see another set of people. Similar to every company who has a complex organization.

well, I will give you a perspective from a person of color. I am a black , intelligent, college educated man in my late 20's. I was interviewed at the headquarters in Mpls and took the personality assessment test as they call it. I also interviewed with 3 or 4 people for a position that I felt I was well qualified for. I have to tell you though, I was quite surprised to see that there were practically no other black people working there except for maybe the security guards. I really feel that they are also discriminating against people of color. and by the way,, they also rejected me with an email...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

paul in phoenix in Apache Junction, Arizona

87 months ago

I echo with several of the comments regarding the age factor with this company. I, too am a college-degreed work-a-holic with 15 plus multi-unit retail supervisor experience. I did 2 phone interviews, Psych testing, went through 3 sit-down interviews, all to be told I was not the candidate of choice for a district type supervisor position. Being in the Southwest, I have been forced to become a functional bilingual. When I walk into one of the stores, and can't find anyone to ask a question who speaks decent English, and find everyone 15 years my younger, it is insulting to continue to shop there anymore. I do feel a lot better after reading many of your comments, was beginning to think I just wasn't qualifed for this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I have come to the conclusion that Target will not hire anyone intelligent enough to ask questions, which is pretty much all of us here on this site. Like I said previously, their ideal candidate is a 24 years old white female, fresh from college, limited work experience, ready to be molded into the cultish 'Target Brand Mind' they so eagerly try to promote during prime time television. I would love for a representative from Target to join this discussion, in the name of good community relations, so that we can be sure as to what their true motives are. Geez, I can't decide if I sound more like Michael Moore, or Ralph Nader...nonetheless, I will stand by my theory on Target until proven otherwise!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

phillp in Saint Paul, Minnesota

87 months ago

Gina in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I have come to the conclusion that Target will not hire anyone intelligent enough to ask questions, which is pretty much all of us here on this site. Like I said previously, their ideal candidate is a 24 years old white female, fresh from college, limited work experience, ready to be molded into the cultish 'Target Brand Mind' they so eagerly try to promote during prime time television. I would love for a representative from Target to join this discussion, in the name of good community relations, so that we can be sure as to what their true motives are. Geez, I can't decide if I sound more like Michael Moore, or Ralph Nader...nonetheless, I will stand by my theory on Target until proven otherwise!

I must concur with you Gina 100%. And you asked a very good question...why dosent a representative from Target join this discussion ? Target is strangely silent....yet somehow the silince still speaks...it speaks to the institutional racism and unfair and discriminatory hiring practices against anyone over the age of 40. come on target...show yourself..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

Well, I have never applied for a job at Target BUT, I did get a really sweet deal once. They were having a sale on a TV, I called to see if they had in stock [you know the switch & bait bs] - was told yes, by this young gum chomping male whose name escapes me now. I went to go get it, asked for him, then told him I wanted the TV that was on sale. He didn't recognize my voice, obviously, told me he'd have to go check the inventory. Came back and said they didn't have any -- told him to go get his supervisor as it was he who just told me less than 5 minutes prior on the phone that they had 10. When the manager came out he asked me what the problem was, I told him, and this kid flat out lied and I explained to the supervisor that he was still chomping on his gum. The supervisor then took me over to the row of TV's and pointed to the one I really wanted once in the store but was like $100 more and said we'll sell that one for the same price. I, being the over 40 woman, played really stupid and asked if it was comparable to the one that was on sale -- this was a better quality TV all the way around and I knew it, but sometimes, playing a stupid female will get you the better deal when it comes to electronics and you know what is better. I understand that they want to bring in the younger for less $$$ and to do some molding BUT if all the companies wipe all of the over 40's --- they will reap what they sow. And pretty soon all of us over the 40's who can't get jobs will become the younger generations problems and the govt, state, and corporations as we will all be homeless and sitting on their steps begging for food, shelter, and the younger one's who are only working to pay their car insurance because they live with mom & dad -- will soon realize what he has to look forward to in his/her future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

victisious in Spring Park, Minnesota

87 months ago

Patrick-Minnesota in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Dont worry, Target gives the run around to EVERYONE. I interviewed at Target and was willing to take a pay cut (as Target pays crap) for the an 1-2 year exp. position. I got rejected just like you. Later I got hired by a big 4 firm, got my CPA and will make manager this year. Now I'd never give Target the time of day. You should look at being rejected by Target as your calling card to success!!! It means you're not a phony, overdressed kissa**. Keep your head up.

ya know? I sure am glad I read all these reports on Target. We are getting one built in our town of Waconia and I won't waste my time appling for a position. All I can say for Target rejecting all you who have degrees is maybe they want you to have a job that goes somewhere...not stuck at at an obviously dead end job.. Good Luck in your searches.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.