target is bogus

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 173)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

F.A.C.O.P.S in Gloversville, New York

83 months ago

Tiffany in Memphis, Tennessee said: This is kind of strange. I do have to say that Target is a interesting company to work for. I am 25 years old. Before I came to Target 1 year ago I worked at Value City Department Store in Softlines as a Ladies Team Member making $8.15 and hour. I do have to say that Target really didn't even seem to care how much experience I had. They was looking at the fact that I was getting ready to Graduate with a Bachelors in Retail Management from the University of Phoenix. I have a HR Rep to call and ask if I would be interested in a Operations intern-ship here in Memphis,TN. Of course I accepted. I was a intern for about 4 months before they promoted me to an Executive Team Leader of Operations ( Which is another way to them of saying a Operation Manager or Assistant Store Manager-Operations ) The pay is actually great. I work at a New Target no a Super Target and my starting salary was $45,000 even. I did try to apply at Wal-Mart and Burlington Coat Factory before I finished my intern-ship. Wal-Mart tried to off me a Customer Service Manager position at only $12.05 and hour and Burlington just didn't bother to call at all. So I accepted the offer as an Excutive Team Leader-Operations at Target. Its actually a fun job.

Way to go Tiffany I was hired at age of 50 two years ago. Love the job fun company to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Val in Rock Hill, South Carolina

83 months ago

Jason in Chapel Hill, North Carolina said: Everyone here is making Target out to be discriminatory when it is not from what I have seen. I was recently hired out of college and placed into the ETL training program. My training class consists of 5 college grads that are mixed sex and race and a 30 year old. Granted this is young, but the people training in the class before ours were all over 40. I would say that Target hires a lot of ex military types from the people I have met. And for anyone that wants to know why they were not hired I can tell you for sure that it was either you were not fun enough for their culture or you did not display good enough leadership qualities. Leadership is by far the number one thing they are looking for. Just a little FYI

hi - i'm so glad to find someone from closer to my area - would you be willing to share your income info? i just had 3 inverviews and the rumor is the pay will be around $50,000 but that seems high for this area (just south of charlotte, in sc). I'm wondering what to expect out of the next round of interviews also...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

gustav in Saint Paul, Minnesota

83 months ago

MR in Birmingham, Alabama said: Do you even stop to listen to yourselves?? Think about how many people (both internally and externally) apply for the positions that you all have. I understand not liking to get turned down....it's happened to me in the past too. But I did not go out bashing those companies. It wasn't a good fit....I moved on and so did they. Bottom line, Target is a very strong company that people want to work for (remember, you all wanted to work there too). They can't hire everyone. PS: Yes, I do work for Target and have for many years. I've had to turn down a lot candidates that looked great on paper (experience/degree's), but simply were not a good fit for the position (or sometimes for Target in general). It happens. Get over it and move on.

hey MR,, whats up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

rg in St. Paul

83 months ago

Gustav, Good idea. I think the majority of us have moved on, there's not much choice, is there? The problem as I see it is Target is so compelled to move on and up that they have forgotten tried and true successes. I happen to know a person at Target that was pulled into HO to work on a team to develop a new initiative. Try as he might to quash the supposed new project because it didn't work before, he was overruled. Guess what happened to the "new" project developed by inexperienced people? Now, isn't that the exact definition of "insanity"? Move on indeed. That's good advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

curious in Dallas, Texas

83 months ago

damn i was thinking of applying for taeget but after reading some of these comments i thnk i will pass because i already work for a company that does not care about thier employees and they are shisty lol oh what compnay is that! hun lets see OFFICE DEPOT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Don't Work in their pharmacies..

83 months ago

Really "rotten" pharmacy-operations, overall, I have to say honestly & candidly --

-- there pharm-managers NEVER have enough support help, and, they do not use "outside staffing agencies" to help pickup for staffing shortages - which just makes it much more stressful & hectic in their mis-managed & operated pharmacies for Pharmacists.

-- And, at least one ( = this supervisor of one of their pharm-managers) really DIDN'T seem to care about the normal day-to-day staffing-needs of their lower-level staff, NOR did he properly followup with the additional staffing-request by one of the lower-level managers; heck - why should they - they can just sit in their offices and drink coffee and still be or act dumb as ususal.. typical for some..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JR in Wichita, Kansas

83 months ago

I have a phone interview on Monday for an ETL-HR position. I am really excited about it. I have read all of your comments, and they did not change my mind. Target is a great company. I love to shop there, and I believe I would be proud to say I worked there. I am approaching 30, I'm white, and I have a Masters in Management. I have no retail experience; however, I have extensive customer service and training experience. I have worked for a Fortune 500 Hospitality company for almost 6 years. I believe their culture is what the associates make it. I hope that if all of your comments are right and I get the job, that I will be able to make a positive change. Of course, I naturally hope you are all wrong and that it is great from the get go!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Bill King in Oswego, Illinois

83 months ago

Apparently too empathetic in Livonia, Michigan said: I am in my mid-30s (married, 2 kids) and worked for Target for the duration of 12 months. Before then, I was declined by HR because they didn't think they could "pay me enough." Eventually, I got my foot in the door (Detroit is a horrible job market) and busted my rear for 2 months. I was recommended for the executive internship program and participated for 10 weeks where I was judged as an effective leader, but was not offered an ETL position (possible age discrimination).
I was reassigned to help a struggling logistics department bring up their numbers- where we went from 70 to a sustained 100 in six months time, lifting the relevant productivity percentages to very GREEN, with help from the team's efforts as a result of proper motivational techniques (respect and trust, foreign to Target).
After being told that getting this dept. green would be quite an accomplishment and guarantee me an ETL position, the response I was given by my STL and ETL HR was that my motivational philosophies were "too empathetic" and my ETL suggested to me that I was not to be recommended for the promotion that I felt I earned.
At the same time, I was completing my B.A. in Business Management and being educated mostly to the opposite theories and strategies that were being demonstrated by my bosses (that I was supposed to adopt as my own).
Eventually, I decided that my sanity was worth much more than the scraps that I saw on my paycheck, which barely covered my mortgage, and I left on my own terms.
Unfortunately, I believe that having Target on my resume hurts me more than it helps.
Good luck to you all.

What is the pay range for these ETL positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

revoltann in Madison, Wisconsin

83 months ago

If you want to work for someone who cares about their employees, I'd suggest checking out credit unions, some health care facilities, non-profits, places where profit is not the only god. Join a good union, where you might have
I've had 2 experiences with employers who founded the company, who cared about their employees- until they sold to investors or corporations, and the emphasis on making money totally destroyed employer/employee relationships.
The new owners drop into place someone who know nothing about the real mechanics of the business, but who's committed to acting as ruthlessly as necessary to allow them to reap huge rewards.
Yes, profit is the business of business, but the total emphasis on stock profits and personal gain has turned most corporations, including Target, into monsters.
To meet expectations, Target, like many others, needs to find a hook to bring in customers, set them apart, to shoot those profits sky high. Target's decision, it appears, was the "Stepford Wives" route, as at the store where I was temporarily employed. This store had your HR model, who was tall, slender, blond,and fresh out of college. Multiples of them- difficult to feel certain to whom you were speaking.
Then there was the team leader model. That was quite an array the cool, the tatooes, spiked hair, but all young and attractive. Some knew their job, but had few managerial skills. Instead of telling those of us outside the "club" what they needed us to do, they continuously clustered together, chattering, or totally disappeared, leaving us to try to figure out what they wanted.
You'd get half way through cleaning, neatening, etc., and they'd reappear, announce that wasn't what they wanted you to do, and haul you somewhere else, to repeat the whole process.
It took me back to high School cliques.
At some point this direction will come back to bite them in the butt- or maybe it already has, and they just haven't realized it yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KLC36404 in Lansing, Michigan

82 months ago

I am about to graduate, did the phone interview, online personality interview, then did the 3 interviews with 2 people each deal, and now they're having me do a video conference with HR at corporate before they make me an offer. I must say that while I sympathize with people who didn't make it through the interviews, I think it's unfair to stereotype those of us who did. I may be young and what they were looking for initially, but I am also intelligent, friendly, outgoing, and experienced in my field. Some of your grammar and spelling are so improper that it's really no wonder you can't get a job...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

GphiB girl in Phoenix, Arizona

81 months ago

So I have worked for Target fo 2 and a half years. I started as a team member and became an intern this past summer. I am an advanced intern specializing in HR. A lot of what is being said here is completly untrue. I am very active in the hiring process for the stores and have gone to a few team lead assessments(the process for hiring team leads). There are no quotas we have to meet. If we feel you don't fit in with our fast,fun and friendly culture you won't be hired or if you don't have get a green on our screening tests most likely you won't be hired either. The questions are very specific and you have to give specific examples of a time and place that you accomplished something or faced adversity, ect. All of these questions are scored based on the situation, what action you took and the outcome as well as the scope of the answer you gave. Each question fits into Targets E's of Excellence which is how we are supposed to lead: Energy (demonstrate accountability and demonstrate courage), Enthusiasm (communicate effectively, maximize relationships, build turst, and manage talent), Execution (think critically, manage execution, drive change)= Excellence! Target is looking for very specific people that can grow and develop within the company. We hire all races, ages and backgrounds and do not descriminate! I am sorry you all have had bad experiences but you all were probably just weren't what the company was looking for. I have seen overweight people get hired into these high level positions also and as far as salary, Target generally pays well. As an intern we make $14 an hour; interns at other companies make nothing! When you get offered you can get more than they are offer you (I know some that have done it) you just have to know how to negotiate. Hope this gives some insight to the hiring process... entry level and team lead are a little different so if you have questions about that just ask because that is part of what I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

GphiB girl in Phoenix, Arizona

81 months ago

phillp in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: well, I will give you a perspective from a person of color. I am a black , intelligent, college educated man in my late 20's. I was interviewed at the headquarters in Mpls and took the personality assessment test as they call it. I also interviewed with 3 or 4 people for a position that I felt I was well qualified for. I have to tell you though, I was quite surprised to see that there were practically no other black people working there except for maybe the security guards. I really feel that they are also discriminating against people of color. and by the way,, they also rejected me with an email...

BTW I am an African American Female in the company and know many others. I have successfully worked for Target for 2 and a half years! Corporate is very very difficult to get into and very competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

new in Jacksonville, Florida

81 months ago

Tiffany in Memphis, Tennessee said: This is kind of strange. I do have to say that Target is a interesting company to work for. I am 25 years old. Before I came to Target 1 year ago I worked at Value City Department Store in Softlines as a Ladies Team Member making $8.15 and hour. I do have to say that Target really didn't even seem to care how much experience I had. They was looking at the fact that I was getting ready to Graduate with a Bachelors in Retail Management from the University of Phoenix. I have a HR Rep to call and ask if I would be interested in a Operations intern-ship here in Memphis,TN. Of course I accepted. I was a intern for about 4 months before they promoted me to an Executive Team Leader of Operations ( Which is another way to them of saying a Operation Manager or Assistant Store Manager-Operations ) The pay is actually great. I work at a New Target no a Super Target and my starting salary was $45,000 even. So I accepted the offer as an Excutive Team Leader-Operations at Target. Its actually a fun job.

Congratulations. I was wondering what the interview process was like for you and did they actually paid you as a intern?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Aim in Twin Cities, Minnesota

81 months ago

Here's the truth and an ex-Target employee said this, "It's who you know."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kkirk78 in Nashville, Tennessee

80 months ago

From revoltann..."If you want to work for someone who cares about their employees, I'd suggest checking out credit unions, some health care facilities, non-profits, places where profit is not the only god. "

I just wanted to add my two cents in. I worked for a non profit organization for that exact reason that they would care about their employees. But I guess in this day and age it doesn't really matter anymore. They let about 5 or 6 people go in one day (including me). They were restructering and eliminated our positions. I later found out that they had done this 3 years prior. Apparently it is something they do often. So, it is really hard to find any job out there where the employer really cares about taking care of their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

70 months ago

Tiffany in Memphis, Tennessee said: This is kind of strange. I do have to say that Target is a interesting company to work for. I am 25 years old. Before I came to Target 1 year ago I worked at Value City Department Store in Softlines as a Ladies Team Member making $8.15 and hour. I do have to say that Target really didn't even seem to care how much experience I had. They was looking at the fact that I was getting ready to Graduate with a Bachelors in Retail Management from the University of Phoenix. I have a HR Rep to call and ask if I would be interested in a Operations intern-ship here in Memphis,TN. Of course I accepted. I was a intern for about 4 months before they promoted me to an Executive Team Leader of Operations ( Which is another way to them of saying a Operation Manager or Assistant Store Manager-Operations ) The pay is actually great. I work at a New Target no a Super Target and my starting salary was $45,000 even. I did try to apply at Wal-Mart and Burlington Coat Factory before I finished my intern-ship. Wal-Mart tried to off me a Customer Service Manager position at only $12.05 and hour and Burlington just didn't bother to call at all. So I accepted the offer as an Excutive Team Leader-Operations at Target. Its actually a fun job.

Tiffany, I think Target would be a great place to work. The benefits and pay sound great. I recently have applied for the same position but after reading all the negative comments, I am worried about passing the assessment test. Do you have any advice? Are they looking for strong answers one way or the other or more questions that are in the middle? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Akimbo in Tucson, Arizona

69 months ago

Been there done that in Saint Paul, Minnesota said:

Thank you, Been There Done That, for saying all of the things that were on my mind. I left the company 3 years ago, just before I turned 40. When I started working for the company as a cashier, my kids were young and I was only working there part-time while I was attending college. I fell in love with the company and worked my way up. I consistently "auditioned" as I like to refer to Target's interview process, for executive positions, but all I ever saw were 24-year-olds, fresh out of college, coming in who had little or no experience in retail. I completed my Bachelor's degree while I was still with the company, and I am about to finish a Master's next month, but that didn't seem to matter to anyone.

There are times when I ache to go back to Target, but it's the Target I started with, not the Target it became. As far as ageism is concerned, I don't really have any proof, but I think that's why my annual review scores went from "Outstanding" to "Satisfactory," getting lower and lower each year. When I started I was a shining star, and by the time I left, I felt like a fallen star. I thought that the ageism thing was all in my head until I stumbled across this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SeeYourselfinRed in New York

63 months ago

I was just hired as a Team Leader for Target. I'm 22, white, and female. I graduated last week with a Bachelor's in Management. So, I suppose I definitely meet the "criteria" that you all have been talking about.

My guess is that one of the most important things they look for is a bright, bubbly personality. Candidates right out of college usually are more excited about working and getting into the "real world" and are more willing to adapt to what they offer. Whereas, someone who already has a lot of experience in the "real world" has their own way of doing things, and wouldn't be as likely to mold into the person Target would like them to be.

Since new college graduates tend to be in their 20's... it's merely coincidence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

tiff1141 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

63 months ago

What is the interview process after a phone interview? I did a phone interview for a store internship and she said they would notify me in a few days as to whether or not they want to hire me. Does this mean I didn't get it? The interviewer didn't seem very open to questions (yes/no answers with no elaboration) is this normal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

16548 in Morganton, North Carolina

63 months ago

I'm curious about the background check. Is it merely criminal information or do they consider credit ratings? Anybody have info on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tennessee Dave in Johnson City, Tennessee

62 months ago

GphiB girl in Phoenix, Arizona said:...."We hire all races, ages and backgrounds and do not descriminate!"

This is simply a lie told by one of the corporate staff in Phoenix. The official policy now is to hire at least 80 percent bubbly new college grads, ignoring older employees with college educations who have lengthy experience with Target. Appearance is definitely a factor. A few token blacks and overweight people might be hired, but that is not what the corporate office wants. This management decision is right up there with Circuit City's firing of experienced personnel and replacing them with new hires. That worked out well. Target has managed to demoralize all veteran staff who thought they might have a chance for a future with the company. If you're not 22 and a bouncy new college grad don't bother to apply. If you fit that profile and have zero work experience, Target is for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Bilder in Anchorage, Alaska

61 months ago

Not sure what you all are talking about. Just got hired by Target this week. I am in my late 30's with no degree and they hired me based on my work experience and knowledge. I am no bubbly young good looking type as you all seem to think they hire. The folks giving the interviews were a pretty broad mix of ages and races as well. The interview process was rather long, but in the end I got a better job than the one I originally applied for and am quite happy with the result.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ARXFGJ in Florida

59 months ago

I interviewed for a pharmacist position and after speaking with the Pharmacist interviewer I knew I didn't want to waste 6 years of my education working with Target. They are unprofessional, mind-less idiots. Everyone in pharmacy school talks about the Target Pharmacy horror stories, but I thought I'd be open-minded and give them a chance. Bad idea!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

persistence in seattle, Washington

58 months ago

ksmcg in Torrance, California said: WOW! I was looking for information on Target and boy did I ever find it! Does anyone have anything positive to say about them? I was contacted by a rep. last week who found my resume online and arranged a phone interview for me next Tuesday. I have no idea what to expect in this conversation.

I'm hoping some people will find this helpful. I just received an offer from Target as an Executive Team Lead. I will say that I did extensive research and did find a majority of comments to be negative. I noticed the majority of negative comments were from Team Leads and hourly staff. I have been in management for over 10 years. Basically I worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car in their management program right out of college. Tough work but very rewarding. Anyway, I too was a bad manager at times and learned the hard way by trying to manage everyone the same. I grew and matured and learned from my experiences. I will tell you this; Every store is different and a lot of people's experiences are based on their management. I learned that people who quit do so because of poor management. I am not saying I am God's gift to management but I believe in taking care of my people no matter what level they are at. Value your people and your store will rock. People can smell BS and if you are genuine and you care about your people and you take feedback to heart, you will have a positive outcome. So for those of you that are looking to work for Target just remember it has a great reputation, it's growing rapidly and strong leaders will separate themselves. This is true for any company. Poor management can trickle down and negatively impact everyone. Not saying that all the stores people are complaining about have issues. It takes two and being a manager I know there are two sides to every story. I'm excited for my new career at Target to begin! It is what you make if it:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Retail Guy in Phoenix, Arizona

58 months ago

Wow, I've read a lot of complaints on this board. Here are my 2 cents:

At the risk of getting flamed, I think the reason MOST of you did not get accepted by Target is because you didn't fit their mold. Target has a specific culture in mind, which is MORE touchy-feely and LESS operations-driven. Target is looking for the right fit in terms of your personality, skills and education. They want to make sure you can work well alongside your peers.

I think sometimes it's hard for people on this board to accept they are not what the company is looking for because it's hard on their ego. I, on the other hand, have no problem with that concept. I've been turned down many times by retail companies, so I patiently waited a year and re-applied back. Many times I was accepted. So keep trying to interview with a company that you want to work for and eventually you will get it. Please keep in mind that not everybody is right for Target, just like Target's culture is not right for everybody. Even if you have an MBA degree and extensive manager experience, it doesn't mean you are a shoe-in for Target.

Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

char_hart in Kansas City, Missouri

57 months ago

I got offered a job and start orientation next week, the Target I will be working at, has all sorts of people working there, people in there 50's, 60's, 20's, 30's and kids who are straight out of high school, I also noticed people from all different ethnic back grounds, including African American, Indian, Latino. I myself am a 29yr old mother of two kids, and a wife, I been a stay at home mom since 2005 and now really just wanting to help out with house hold bills.
I do have a strong customer service back ground but also have a Diploma, I applied about six months ago, but received a email stating that they are no longer hiring but to try again in a few months.
The interview process was relatively easy, both with the 2 behavioral assessments, which are basically asking you, "what if" questions. I got a interview from a floor trainer and a second interview from someone in HR, I was just myself, and didn't act any different then I would if I were working there, used common sense and was professional, and because of this, I got the job during the 2nd interview.
Yes this may not be a life long career for me, (but then you can never predict the future), but I will do my best to give great customer service regardless of the company that I am working for. I am sure other Targets around America may all work differently, with there hiring technique, but the Target I am now working for seems to be very diverse in who they hire, they didn't seem to discriminate who they hire, and seemed to be very professional with the questions they asked me, no different to any other retail company, and I knew going into this job that the pay rate wouldn't be absolutely spectacular, which seems to be the norm for every BIG retail company, but if you need a tied me over job until you get the job you really want, or you need customer service experience, or what ever the situation then I don't think Target is going to me much different to other retail outlets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Sloan in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

This is a true Bogus about Target, I have been working there for about 3 years now, I'm still a TM trying to get promoted but won't now because of the rule changes stating you need a degree to become a TL. The guy that my ETL wants to promote hides in boxes to jump out and scare you, says things that should never be said at a job, sneaks around the corner to scare you, makes fun of handicapped people by immitation, and other childish things. The key thing about him is that he is a good brown noser and really knows how to lie to people to make our boss look good when our ETL shouldn't be an ETL. Our ETL is trying to become STL but shops the store while he should be working, doesn't lend a hand when needed, and is not a good person in general.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JIMS8710 in California

44 months ago

I was recently hired for an Executive Team Leader position. Here is my experience so far.

I contacted Target at a local college recruiting event. The interview process was very long and included four interviews. (two store managers, one district manager, and a final interview with the VP of human resources). The questions were very situation-based and were progressively more detailed/difficult through each interview. (many of the questions are posted online)I was offered a position two days after my final interview. It took an additional two weeks to process my background check. Total interview to offer letter time to start date was approximately 45 days.

I was offered a competitive pay that trailed other retailers by over $12,000 per year (not including bonus) for an ETL equivalent position.

I was guaranteed rotating weekends off and a maximum work week of five days. Other retailers required weekends plus six day work weeks during holidays.

Not to mention my excellent health benefits which kicked in one day before my actual start date! (no waiting period!)

I am a recent college graduate BS Marketing. Female. Ethnic. Early 20's.

It is disheartening to see the amount of comments bashing this company, their hiring practices, and the people they choose to hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

JIMS8710 in California

44 months ago

Tennessee Dave in Johnson City, Tennessee said: GphiB girl in Phoenix, Arizona said:...."We hire all races, ages and backgrounds and do not descriminate!"

This is simply a lie told by one of the corporate staff in Phoenix. The official policy now is to hire at least 80 percent bubbly new college grads, ignoring older employees with college educations who have lengthy experience with Target. Appearance is definitely a factor. A few token blacks and overweight people might be hired, but that is not what the corporate office wants. This management decision is right up there with Circuit City's firing of experienced personnel and replacing them with new hires. That worked out well. Target has managed to demoralize all veteran staff who thought they might have a chance for a future with the company. If you're not 22 and a bouncy new college grad don't bother to apply. If you fit that profile and have zero work experience, Target is for you.

Someone has to open the door for the recent college graduate. Age discrimination goes both ways. Imagine my dismay when I was declined for several positions listed as entry level for an older, more experienced worker. I thought, "shouldn't they be applying for more advanced positions and leave the entry level barely living wage scraps for us college grads?"

I'm lucky that Target is willing to give a rookie a chance. It seems to be working for them as they keep expanding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Debbie in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I live in Minneapolis and have applied for so many jobs at the corporate office, which I am qualified for, and only had one phone interview that I thought went quite well. Well, I guess it did not because I got the kiss off email that they hired from within. Five years ago I took the psych test and was insulted. They might of just of well sniffed my underwear! Employers are going too far and the EVIL EMPIRE, I mean Target is nuts and I do not waste my energy applying for their positions anymore!!!!
I used to work for two other Dayton Hudson entities (20 years ago) and they had integrity...But DH sold them off....

I want to say a few words about Target "test." This is a secret that HR team member shared with me when we became close friends. The test is rigged in the sense that it measures if you are lying or not. Target does this by having similar questions sprinkled throughout the test, so if you answer differently on those similar types of questions, then "clearly" you are lying and your application does not go any further. Just thought I'd share this important fact of their application process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Karla in Champlin, Minnesota said: I recently applied for a job at Target and got the same response. I asked for their reason for turning me down and all I got was "we are seeking more qualified candidates". I have a bachelor's degree and over 8 years experience in this field. Target is a sham, the psyche profile they make you take is a joke.The interview process was so mechanical and unpersonal that I will never apply for another job at Target again. It is not the type of company that I would want to work for!

Having worked for Target as a manager (Group Leader, in their terms), I can tell you that it has less to do with your work/education qualifications, and more about the "fit." In other words, do you fit with their culture of how they run their Store or Distribution Center?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

candlestick in Grand Rapids, Michigan

37 months ago

chris in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania said: Remember sometimes it is just easier to hire a newbe fresh out of college and train him the Target way. It is like the military shape a private the way you want h

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Life&laughter in Grovetown, Georgia

36 months ago

I applied at Target via the online application. I am not from this area and know no one that works there. Instead of waiting for a reply from them I went into the store & asked to speak to someone in management. I told them I just wanted to know what the next step was after you apply online. The manager I spoke with was very nice & talked with me for at least 10 to 15 minutes. She took my name & number down. I didn't hear anything from them for about a week thinking that maybe I wouldn't. Then I got an email asking me to call to set up an interview time. I had unknowingly somehow forgot to put my phone number on the online application. This manager recognized me when I was leaving from the interview & said "oh good I see they got a hold of you." The assessment test was repetitive & you could tell they were looking for honesty with the questionnaire process. This was no problem at all for me since I pride myself on honesty. You will take the test online as well as one in the store. The one in the store is relatively short and if you pride yourself on honesty & fairness in life it's really nothing to worry about. I did have to go through 3 interviews over two days (the timing of getting me in there when all 3 were available on the same day was the reason for the two different days.) The interviews went really smooth. I will be 41 in less than a month. I have been a stay at home mom for 16 years. I worked retail at two other stores in my younger years. One of which I worked for 4 different times, leaving due to different reasons such as moving out of state, only being hired for Christmas help, marrying and only having one car etc. They liked me well enough I had no problem getting rehired when I would reapply. I do have a very bubbly personality. I only have one semester of college, so I knew I would have to pretty much start where I did 20 years ago. I have a very outgoing personality & I just talked to them in the interview like I would anyone else my equal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Life&laughter in Grovetown, Georgia

36 months ago

I was told by the first manager that I was chosen, because I had been a stay at home mom for so long, because being a stay at home mom is much harder than working a public job. Also to be a stay at home mom for that many years means that you have learned how to be organized, deal with stress, do things on the spur of the moment, manage sometimes with little resources, you have learned time management skills in order to keep the home running smoothly. You have learned how to problem solve through numerous kinds of situations & so forth. All of which I agreed with. Since I had worked full time prior to family life I knew first hand that working a public job was easier than being home, because they have everything planned out for you. All you have to do is show up, do what is on the plans for that day & do it they way they want you to. Kind of like the military. All of the complaints seem to be by ppl who want to tell the boss how to do things. If they want it a certain way, then just do it that way & let them take the heat when it don't work out. Of course you can make suggestions, but the bottom line is you are hired to do what they say, so do it with a smile on your face. I have taken the drug test & am awaiting the call for orientation. HR has already given me the pay amount & the job description. Of course anyone knows that retail is fast paced, hectic at times, & that you will be required to work many different areas of the store, just deal with it & do what you are told to do. When you become boss then you can tell others what to do. If you think Target has odd rules & ways of doing things then join the military & you will change your mind. My husband spent 13 years in the military, so I know some of how it works via him. You are working for them, not them for you. Decide to bring happiness into whatever situation you find yourself in & life just works so much smoother. Who cares what color they tell you to wear & some of the other minor complaints I am hearing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PinkLady88 in Florida

34 months ago

I agree as well,

I was recently hired for an Executive Team Leader position. Here is my experience so far.

I contacted after I applied online. I had an phone interview, online assessment, interviewed with 2 store managers, 1 Executive Team Leader (HR) and a Distrust Team Leader.

I was offered a competitive pay that trailed other retailers, I was also
guaranteed rotating weekends off and a maximum work week of five days. Other retailers required weekends plus six day work weeks during holidays. Not to mention my excellent health benefits which kicked in one day before my actual start date! (no waiting period!)

I am a recent college graduate BS Marketing and minor in marketing, graduated top of my graduating class and I have retail management experience. Female. Ethnic. Early 20's.

It is disheartening to see the amount of comments bashing this company, their hiring practices, and the people they choose to hire. I am young but I am by NO means inexperienced or underpaid. I am Fast, Fun and Friendly... maybe a few of you should work on fitting into the company's vision instead of blaming others when you are "denied" employment. Target is a great company to work for and I love the vision that it is moving forward with!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

over 38 in Indianapolis, Indiana

33 months ago

I just wanted to add my two cents worth... I just started at Target... and I am educated, over 38 looking for a life change. I see individuals of various ages working and various ages in my orientation group. Sometimes you just have to accept what they have to offer (for instance they are hiring only seasonal here right now with the potential to be permanent). A lot of people I see not getting jobs don't get them because they are over asserting themselves and expecting better pay. My theory is you have to get a foot in the door somehow! I truly don't think there is age discrimination going on... perhaps just bloated head syndrome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

over 38 in Indianapolis, Indiana

33 months ago

I was hired on the spot, two interviews, and an assessment test. I think its all about having a good personality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GeorgeLopo in Midland, Michigan

33 months ago

rejected in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: heres my take on target...I think at some point a few years ago upper management or someone with alot of gravitas made the executive decision to start transforming target(corp HQ)into a a much younger,hipper, and cooler place to work. Im in my 40's and I couldnt help noticing that all the people that I saw there with the exception of a few people...were all in their 20's and low 30's. I really feel like I was discrinated against because of my age... and Im sure im not the only one out there...so come on people,,,lets get the facts out here about the mighty target here in minneapolis...they only want to hire you if your in shape,attractive , and in your 20's or low 30's.....they should be forced up the evolutionary ladder as far as ethical hiring practices go...

I'm actually currently going through the ETL interview process and have noticed several things throughout the stores and the store leadership both before and through the process. Look at it like this, if you were to place 5 Target "Leaders" in a room with 15 other retail management people of the same age you would be able to pick them apart. Target ETL's and STL's all have very similar personalities in the way they are outgoing, optimistic and driven. Personally I don't think that they are discriminating by age, but I can attest to the fact most of the leaders hired are young. This is more due to the fact they look for these personalities that come with little to no management experience who they can mold into the Target way. The online personality assessment has a large weight on weather or not you are offered a position and it is used to figure out what your personality profile is (ranked on a green, yellow, red scale). So to walk into Target with years of experience probably doesn't do you much good as they are looking to create a Target leader, not to hire someone who is an experienced leader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

miikey in Oakland, California

32 months ago

you won't get hired unless you're fresh and new out of college. like someone said the ideal etl candidate is white female or male in their early 20s out of college. even if you did well at all the interviews and tests you won't get in unless you fit their ideal candidate which i mentioned. i can confirm this at a target i used to work at. you can also check out random etls on linkedin and you will see it for yourself. all the etls except for one ethnic were white and out of college recently.

i'm a new college grad in my 20s. once i heard how much these etls were being paid while doing pretty much nothing compared to the real employees like the cashiers and sales floor members, i applied. however i'm not white and i have a technical degree so i don't think i'll be a "fit".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

davec in Corona, California

29 months ago

U people don't know crap...I've worked for Target for three years and have got nothing in return ...The Etls r a joke....the team leads r worse...I was a supervisor for 5 years on a construction crew and my job was alot harder then what the Etls and team leads deal with at Target.....everyone is for themselves and treat the team members like.crap...u guys need to grow up and smell the coffee.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JenJen7 in Antioch, Illinois

27 months ago

I just wanted to clarify something based on your comment. You stated that you started as a team member and later became an intern at Target. Is that correct. When I inquired about applying for an internship, I was told that it wasn't available to current team members. I'm just trying to make sense of what I was told so I know whether or not I should question it or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JenJen7 in Antioch, Illinois

27 months ago

Sorry that last comment was meant for Gphib girl in Phoenix.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pensieve in Cincinnati, Ohio

23 months ago

Target team leads make way too much for what their job is - they make more than fresh out of college young teachers, who actually make a difference in the world. ETLS sit on their asses all day eating jimmy johns and ordering in pizza for themselves while micromanaging every employee. Then they speak to the Team members like they have some learning disability - target team leadership is a joke at best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Nirrtix in Friendswood, Texas

18 months ago

I find it amazing that so many here bash a company simply because they were not hired. I currently work for Target and would love to stay with Target after I graduate. I however would not have hard feelings if they did not want me for an ETL. Target is not a shiest y company like some here claim. They have treated me well over the past 2 years as a Team Member. I think the real problem is they think because they have a Business Degree, that they are automatically going to be hired by a company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Pensieve in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Target team leads make way too much for what their job is - they make more than fresh out of college young teachers, who actually make a difference in the world. ETLS sit on their asses all day eating jimmy johns and ordering in pizza for themselves while micromanaging every employee. Then they speak to the Team members like they have some learning disability - target team leadership is a joke at best.

I would also like to note to the last poster that at the store I work at the ETL's do not sit on their butt all day. That is the biggest lie I have ever heard. The only time I have seen Team Leaders order food was on their lunch break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

miikey in Oakland, California said: you won't get hired unless you're fresh and new out of college . like someone said the ideal etl candidate is white female or male in their early 20s out of college. even if you did well at all the interviews and tests you won't get in unless you fit their ideal candidate which i mentioned. i can confirm this at a target i used to work at. you can also check out random etls on linkedin and you will see it for yourself. all the etls except for one ethnic were white and out of college recently.

i'm a new college grad in my 20s. once i heard how much these etls were being paid while doing pretty much nothing compared to the real employees like the cashiers and sales floor members, i applied. however i'm not white and i have a technical degree so i don't think i'll be a "fit".

My store trains new ETL's and that is another lie. I would say there good mix of who they hire. The idea that they hire based on age, gender, or race is ridiculous. Again, The ETL's do more than everyone else. Also they have responsibility. I find it amazing people criticize others on how they do their job when they have never done it before. That is like at the last job a cook saying my job is easier because I am a cashier. The difference was that they do not know how to do my job, and I had better communication skills. I also was responsible for the money in my register. I also could get in trouble if it was short.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Saint Paul, Minnesota

17 months ago

Yeah Target does suck.. I got a call from a recruiter and was told that I would "never get the marketing job I wanted because it's a fun job that everyone wants, so u should really hang up the idea that u'll get a job like that.." and offered me a job as an Assistant to the AVP of Finance; a job I'm overqulified for and never applied for in the first place. As a Recruiter myself, I called her out on the unethical, unprofessional comments and was pretty positive that she can't say those things to potential candidates for it's against EEO standards! Wholly crap, can we say lawsuit??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SRG in Glendale, California

16 months ago

Well, I just completed the four week interview process and I did not get the job. I'm 27, Military Veteran with an MBA and apparently I am not qualified enough. Funny enough, I was referred to Target by a current employee who is an ETL and he has a High School Diploma and no other experience beside being in target for the last few years. I'm not exactly sure what they're looking for but apparently not leadership experience or an education. I've been the Operations Officer at a company the last three years as well as heading up my own Non-Profit for vets, but I do not have enough experience to be an ETL. I have a Master's with specific emphasis in Management as well as being Human Resource Certified; but I am not qualified to be an ETL at Target. It boggles my mind; I know they're looking for that special person that can fit the role of a team leader, but if I'm not qualified enough, I don't know how I'll ever be. Perhaps when I receive my Doctorate in Business I'll be qualified. I guess we'll see. If you're a Target rep, it'd be great to hear a response as to why you think I may not have been hired. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

SRG in Glendale, California said: Well, I just completed the four week interview process and I did not get the job. I'm 27, Military Veteran with an MBA and apparently I am not qualified enough. If you're a Target rep, it'd be great to hear a response as to why you think I may not have been hired. Thanks

I am not a Target rep but I have an insight into Target's HR hiring policies since I have done many of their hiring interviews for management and floor team members. Their denial of your application has nothing to do with your perceived over-education. In fact, getting a Doctorate degree is completely unnecessary and will not make you more qualified. Bachelor degree is all that's required by Target to be eligible for a job interview. The truth of the matter is that Target HR team is looking for candidates who are perfect "fit" with the company's culture of "fast, fun and friendly." If you don't know what that means, then you haven't done your homework prior to sitting down for an interview. You have to research Target's culture and ask yourself if you'd mold well with it because it's not for everybody. Target HR is looking for very specific personality traits within their potential ETL leadership team. For better or worse, you simply did not demonstrate those qualities in your interview. Lesson learned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Upset with Target in Littleton, Colorado

16 months ago

R U Kidding? in Silver Spring, Maryland said: Herb in St Louis,
Your reply is funny as s***. I cant stop laughing. BUT it's kinda cruel. It's not easy finding a job. People who are on this forum are usually searching for a job. I am an out of work, high level 6 figure earning management person in her 40's. The more qualified or compensated you are, the harder it becomes to land a position. Are you in you're mid career phase of life???? Probably not. At James isnt beating himself up! But thanks for the laugh!!

I applied for a job at Target and after a 2 hour application process I was asked this question "Are you between the ages of 18 and 40" to which I had to answer NO. I then received an email that said they have no job opportunities for me. I am like you, out of work, had a high paying job and I think it's true the better you were compensated in your last job the less they want to hire you. I am 56 years old and need a job. Is it legal for Target to even ask that question?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.