Online Application FAIL

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Reserved in Charlotte, North Carolina

17 months ago

(Temporary Resources, Inc.)

Do you really need my full SSN# for an Online Application??? I don't mind giving it to you after our initial contact, or even *after* a user account is verified, but not as part of the account-creation process. This makes me worry that it might be used as an internal ID within the company, which is not a proper business practice... especially when dealing with finance as most staffing agencies do.

You should really consider switching to some sort of random UUID.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

blt in Aldie, Virginia

17 months ago

Reserved in Charlotte, North Carolina said: (Temporary Resources, Inc.)

Do you really need my full SSN# for an Online Application??? I don't mind giving it to you after our initial contact, or even *after* a user account is verified, but not as part of the account-creation process. This makes me worry that it might be used as an internal ID within the company, which is not a proper business practice... especially when dealing with finance as most staffing agencies do.

You should really consider switching to some sort of random UUID.

Remember, if you are looking for a job, you should keep in mind how you come across to someone who is going to source you to a client. If you are already complaining about filling out a simple web form, you are not going to leave a good impression and may lower the amount of opportunities you are considered for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Redding, California

17 months ago

blt in Aldie, Virginia said: Remember, if you are looking for a job, you should keep in mind how you come across to someone who is going to source you to a client. If you are already complaining about filling out a simple web form, you are not going to leave a good impression and may lower the amount of opportunities you are considered for.

In an age where identity theft, privacy, etc. is such a huge issue not wishing to provide ssn for an online application is pretty understandable (especially if the number is being used to id you within the company itself). While i agree giving a good impression is huge, i do not think that a reasonable uncertainty about providing important private information should be looked down upon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

Mary in Redding, California said: In an age where identity theft, privacy, etc. is such a huge issue not wishing to provide ssn for an online application is pretty understandable (especially if the number is being used to id you within the company itself). While i agree giving a good impression is huge, i do not think that a reasonable uncertainty about providing important private information should be looked down upon.

Identity theft is rampant because now we are often forced to give out what was once private information to almost anybody who asks.

Personally, I won't give out my full SSN on an app. I will back out but for those who want to venture forth, use 987-65-4320. Its a programmers test SSN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.