Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 92)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

Henry in Missouri City, Texas

65 months ago

What Kind of preparation should I be doing for the interview ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

David in Austin, Texas

53 months ago

I am going for the interview for Auditor I with the state of texas comptroller office and I have no auditing experience and wanted to know what to expect? Wanted to see if anybody who went to the interview can describe the interview process and what I can expect? I live in Texas and the interview and job is in Los Angeles and I don't want to have to pay for travel arrangements if I don't feel I would be competitve and have a good chance at the job. I apreciate any feedback. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cmata84 in San Antonio, Texas

44 months ago

Did you you get any responses on your question? Any advice?

Tina

David in Austin, Texas said: I am going for the interview for Auditor I with the state of texas comptroller office and I have no auditing experience and wanted to know what to expect? Wanted to see if anybody who went to the interview can describe the interview process and what I can expect? I live in Texas and the interview and job is in Los Angeles and I don't want to have to pay for travel arrangements if I don't feel I would be competitve and have a good chance at the job. I apreciate any feedback. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

txlu3 in Beaumont, Texas

41 months ago

Can anyone tell me what to expect in an interview for Auditor I with the Texas Comptrollers Office?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

liztx in Fort Worth, Texas

41 months ago

txlu3 in Beaumont, Texas said: Can anyone tell me what to expect in an interview for Auditor I with the Texas Comptrollers Office?

When do you interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Grapevine, Texas

40 months ago

David in Austin, Texas said: I am going for the interview for Auditor I with the state of texas comptroller office and I have no auditing experience and wanted to know what to expect? Wanted to see if anybody who went to the interview can describe the interview process and what I can expect? I live in Texas and the interview and job is in Los Angeles and I don't want to have to pay for travel arrangements if I don't feel I would be competitve and have a good chance at the job. I apreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I was wondering how did your Interview go? I have one coming up in Dallas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mary

40 months ago

Mike in Grapevine, Texas said: I was wondering how did your Interview go? I have one coming up in Dallas

I would think since you don't need experience, they would ask typical interview questions.. what are you goals, strengths, weaknesses, etc. to get an idea if you would mesh well. Then, if they like you, you take training course you must pass before they let you out in the field. There you should learn their procedures and what you do as an auditor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Fort Worth, Texas

40 months ago

Has anyone been offered the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cm in San Antonio, Texas

40 months ago

Nope, I was just thinking the same thing.......Maybe we still have chance

jason_haywood@live.com in Tomball, Texas

39 months ago

cm in San Antonio, Texas said: Nope, I was just thinking the same thing.......Maybe we still have chance

Was offered a job a few weeks ago...they'll call you and ask you to get your fingerprints taken for a background check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jason_haywood@live.com in Tomball, Texas

39 months ago

mary said: I would think since you don't need experience, they would ask typical interview questions.. what are you goals, strengths, weaknesses, etc. to get an idea if you would mesh well. Then, if they like you, you take training course you must pass before they let you out in the field. There you should learn their procedures and what you do as an auditor.

No...they do have a very specefic set of questions that they ask. The questions they ask do not allow room for you to elaborate on what your goals are and they do not really allow you to explain different points on your resume or your education. They ask questions to determine how you would handle real situations that may come up during an audit. Also, I would STRONGLY advise that you read up on the different types of taxes that the comptroller's office oversees. Also, read up on the different processes that an auditor must go through for different types of audits. You can find all of that information on the state comptroller's website.

Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Oakberry in Dallas, Texas

36 months ago

What was the time frame between fingerprinting and receiving an offer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Arlington, Texas

36 months ago

John Oakberry in Dallas, Texas said: What was the time frame between fingerprinting and receiving an offer?

Hey John Oakberry in Dallas, I had an interview for auditor one position in Dallas as well and was called last week for the background check. I went and took them wednesday and haven't heard back. The words she used made me uneasy, " You are being considered for the position so we need you to get your finger prints". I know there are five positions being filled but the wording still scared me. I assumed we are being considered upon the results of the background check, right? IDK I may be over analyzing like I always do lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Crystal, have you heard anything? Do you know when the position is to be filled or start date?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Arlington, Texas

36 months ago

John Oakberry in Dallas, Texas said: Crystal, have you heard anything? Do you know when the position is to be filled or start date?

No I haven't heard anything yet. I do know that the position begins on Jan 3rd and they promised they would at least let us know two weeks prior to that so we can give notice to our current jobs and that if we didn't get it they would contact us via email prior to that. If you hear anything let me know!

Natalie in Fort Worth, Texas

35 months ago

Hello Crystal and John, have either of you heard anything yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Natalie in Fort Worth, Texas

35 months ago

Crystal in Arlington, Texas said: No I haven't heard anything yet. I do know that the position begins on Jan 3rd and they promised they would at least let us know two weeks prior to that so we can give notice to our current jobs and that if we didn't get it they would contact us via email prior to that. If you hear anything let me know!

Hi Crystal, did you ever hear anything?

33 months ago

How is everything?

33 months ago

Crystal

Shanil Meghani in Beaumont in Groves, Texas

33 months ago

I have an interview sometime next week and I wanted to be prepared for the interview does anyone have any advice and know the process or know what kind of questions will they be asking me?

Natalie in Dallas, Texas

33 months ago

Hi Shanil,

I interviewed (and was hired) for an auditor position in
Dallas back in November. What Jason Haywood said was very helpful in preparing me for my interview. I went to the Comptroller's website and researched the types of taxes they collect, info about the Comptroller, and other info I could find. Also, know your accounting principles because they will ask questions on that. They do ask a couple general interview type questions. This is what was asked of me, and I assume all the offices have to follow the same or similar set of questions.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shanil Meghani in Groves, Texas

33 months ago

Is there a way I can talk to you directly over the email? My email is shanilmeghani@yahoo.com I am so confused and nervous about the interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Soufyan Hashmany in Sugar Land, Texas

33 months ago

Natalie in Dallas, Texas said: Hi Shanil,

Dallas back in November. What Jason Haywood said was very helpful in preparing me for my interview. I went to the Comptroller's website and researched the types of taxes they collect, info about the Comptroller, and other info I could find. Also, know your accounting principles because they will ask questions on that. They do ask a couple general interview type questions. This is what was asked of me, and I assume all the offices have to follow the same or similar set of questions.

Good luck!

Hey Natalie, I have an interview coming up as well on Mar. 28 in Houston, TX for the Auditor I position. I wanted to see if you could please help me out in detail on what to expect on the interview date. Here is my email, soufyanhashmany@gmail.com.

Please let me know, as I really want to be well prepared for this interview!

Thank you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Soufyan Hashmany in Sugar Land, Texas

33 months ago

Good luck!

Hey Natalie. I have an interview coming up on the Mar. 28 for the Auditor I position with the agency and I am kind of worried about this interview. Here is my email address, if you could please help me out here so I could well prepared for this interview before the interview!

Please let me know!

Thanks.

BlueSmiles85 in Roseland, New Jersey

32 months ago

This is not the case at all. They do not ask you typical interview questions what so ever. They ask very specific accounting questions relevant to auditing, the income statement, the balance sheet, etc. Then there is also a writing portion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Soufyan Hashmany in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

BlueSmiles85 in Roseland, New Jersey said: This is not the case at all. They do not ask you typical interview questions what so ever. They ask very specific accounting questions relevant to auditing, the income statement, the balance sheet, etc. Then there is also a writing portion.

Hey BlueSmiles85, when you say there is a writing portion as well. Can you please tell me like what am I expecting there? Please if you could elaborate more on that. That would be great! Here is my email, I would like to ask you additional questions if you dont mind. soufyanhashmany@gmail.com
Thanks.

andrew89 in Tyler, Texas

32 months ago

i want to add that the interview contains a considerable amount of behavioral questions.

lala in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

I just interviewed with the Texas Comptroller Office on March 22nd and the interview was a panel interview. The questions that are asked are related to the comptroller office and things they oversee along with a wide variety of accounting question. After that, you are taken in a room to write a memo on basically a situation which they have drawed up for you. If you have ever taken an auditing class this will not be so bad but you only have 20 minutes. I do not know if I passed my interview as they evaluate your answers and then it is review again by the Human Resource department. I was told that I should be expecting either a call or email stating whether an offer was made or not. I also was told that the call or email should be received sometime around the middle of April. I really hope I made a good first impression and did well on the interview so at this point I am just waiting. I have put in Gods hands and well when I here something I will let you know of the results of my interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teri in Corpus Christi, Texas

32 months ago

Hi lala, have you heard anything about the Texas Comptroller Office yet? I had the interview last Mar 27 for the Auditor I position in my city. I'm praying and really nervous. Please reply if you get something from them. Thank you very much.

vikes711 in Tyler, Texas

31 months ago

Anybody here anything yet?

lala in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Teri in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Hi lala, have you heard anything about the Texas Comptroller Office yet? I had the interview last Mar 27 for the Auditor I position in my city. I'm praying and really nervous. Please reply if you get something from them. Thank you very much.

I haven't heard anything as of yet and am very nervous. However I haven't gotten a email yet and that is usually a good sign. I was told by one if my friends that if you get an email without a phone call then you didn't get the position. As stated before, I was told to expect a call or email by the middle of April and haven't heard anything yet. My birthday is tomorrow and a phine call from them would be a blessing, so I am hoping the best. I will keep you all updated to what happened one way or another.

Teri in Corpus Christi, Texas

31 months ago

lala in Houston, Texas said: I haven't heard anything as of yet and am very nervous. However I haven't gotten a email yet and that is usually a good sign. I was told by one if my friends that if you get an email without a phone call then you didn't get the position. As stated before, I was told to expect a call or email by the middle of April and haven't heard anything yet. My birthday is tomorrow and a phine call from them would be a blessing, so I am hoping the best. I will keep you all updated to what happened one way or another.

Happy birthday Lala! Mine is this Friday, too. Keep praying! :)

lala in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

happy b-day right back at ya and I wish for the best for you too.

gebru in Garland, Texas

31 months ago

I have interviewed for Auditor I position and I was expecting to hear their decision by the end of April. Is there anybody who has been informed of the interview results?

Belachew.

Thanks.

Rae in San Antonio, Texas

31 months ago

Yes, i got a call on Tuesday, April 24 and was told that I start on June 1. Does anyone know how training works? I was told that the training was out of town and I was curious how long it was.

Natalie

31 months ago

BlueSmiles85 in Roseland, New Jersey said: This is not the case at all. They do not ask you typical interview questions what so ever. They ask very specific accounting questions relevant to auditing, the income statement, the balance sheet, etc. Then there is also a writing portion.

When I interviewed I was asked questions like "Have you ever disagreed with management" or "what would you do if you noticed a co-worker being unethical" which I consider typical interview questions, considering I've been asked those questions in other interviews as well. I would assume the questions are the same for every office, since your answers go to Austin to be assessed a grade for which eligibility of employment is based.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JoJo in Corpus Christi, Texas

31 months ago

Rae in San Antonio, Texas said: Yes, i got a call on Tuesday, April 24 and was told that I start on June 1. Does anyone know how training works? I was told that the training was out of town and I was curious how long it was.

Hi Rae, how long did it take from your fingerprinting and receiving an offer? I had my fingerprint last Wed. Thanks much!

Rae in Wichita, Kansas

31 months ago

JoJo in Corpus Christi, Texas said: Hi Rae, how long did it take from your fingerprinting and receiving an offer? I had my fingerprint last Wed. Thanks much!

Hello -- i got my fingerprinting done on the last week in March, I wanna say it was the 30th but it was no later than the 7th of April I know that for sure!! I would ASSUME that if you are being fingerprinted you got the job. In the interview did you ask when the position started?? It seems like they contacted me about one month before start date. I start June 1!! Good luck to you!!!

BlueSmiles85 in Wichita, Kansas

31 months ago

Natalie said: When I interviewed I was asked questions like "Have you ever disagreed with management" or "what would you do if you noticed a co-worker being unethical" which I consider typical interview questions, considering I've been asked those questions in other interviews as well. I would assume the questions are the same for every office, since your answers go to Austin to be assessed a grade for which eligibility of employment is based.

I was not asked either one of those questions but i do agree that those are typical intervgiew questions. I am sure there are more ways than one that they conduct the interview though because the offered me the position. Hope your comment helps someone else though.

Natalie

31 months ago

Rae in Wichita, Kansas said: Hello -- i got my fingerprinting done on the last week in March, I wanna say it was the 30th but it was no later than the 7th of April I know that for sure!! I would ASSUME that if you are being fingerprinted you got the job. In the interview did you ask when the position started?? It seems like they contacted me about one month before start date. I start June 1!! Good luck to you!!!

They'll start everyone on the same day because they train all the new hires together. Fingerprinting is a good sign. I was one of 5 hired for my office and when we all discussed when we were offered the job, it was all different amounts of time from the fingerprinting. It depends on how long the rest of your background check takes. Best wishes! And have fun in training!

31 months ago

Rae in Wichita, Kansas said: Hello -- i got my fingerprinting done on the last week in March, I wanna say it was the 30th but it was no later than the 7th of April I know that for sure!! I would ASSUME that if you are being fingerprinted you got the job. In the interview did you ask when the position started?? It seems like they contacted me about one month before start date. I start June 1!! Good luck to you!!!

I didn't ask them the starting time. I had a interview Mar 25, and was called around mid Apr. I hope that they wouldn't let candidates spend time for fingerprinting without any reason. I'm praying. Hope to see you in training. Thanks :)

31 months ago

Natalie said: They'll start everyone on the same day because they train all the new hires together. Fingerprinting is a good sign. I was one of 5 hired for my office and when we all discussed when we were offered the job, it was all different amounts of time from the fingerprinting. It depends on how long the rest of your background check takes. Best wishes! And have fun in training!

Finally, I've got a call :). They told me to start on June 1st, and the training will last for 6 months. Natalie, I'm still confused whether we stay in Dallas for consecutive 6 months? if yes, I need to prepare much for the relocation. Thanks for your response.

Natalie in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

Did they say you'll train in Dallas? I work in Dallas but trained in Houston. It's not consecutive. It's spread out, a week at a time, over 3 months basically. They pay for your travel expenses and hotel. Training is long but it's fun and the trainers are very nice :) Congrats and welcome to the agency!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Natalie in Dallas, Texas said: Did they say you'll train in Dallas? I work in Dallas but trained in Houston. It's not consecutive. It's spread out, a week at a time, over 3 months basically. They pay for your travel expenses and hotel. Training is long but it's fun and the trainers are very nice :) Congrats and welcome to the agency!

Wow, it sounds great! I'm really excited. Thanks, Natalie :)

Rae in San Antonio, Texas

31 months ago

Thanks!! Mine will be in Austin. Was the testing hard?? They said you have to make i believe a 75 or better. I am somewhat nervous about that.

gebru in Garland, Texas

25 months ago

I am gonna have an interview on 10/18/2012. Is there any written examination and what type? Thank for your help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Newark, New Jersey

25 months ago

Anyone who get through the interview, can you please tell me what will be in the interview and how is the experience? thank you so much

25 months ago

jason_haywood@live.com in Tomball, Texas said: Was offered a job a few weeks ago...they'll call you and ask you to get your fingerprints taken for a background check.

can you please give me more details about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Good luck!

what accounting questions they asked during the interview? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.