Thermo Fisher Scientific News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 500 of 517)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

mass21 in Massachusetts

36 months ago

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York said: 4/12/12.Just got my pay stub.Yup.No raise.Thank you to my 7th Supervisor in 10 years who has known me all of 5 months who gave me an "Overall RI" for my PMD.Oh well...I guess I really have been targeted for dismissal.I have,afterall,been there 15 years and am topping out on the pay and PTO scale.Word is that EVERYONE is getting 2% anyhow,which is really only 1 extra paycheck over the course of the next 52 weeks anyway.Glad to be doing my part to save Thermo $0.29/hr!!!

The more RI's the supervisor gives out the bigger his raise is.
Works something like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

36 months ago

Most folks there want out but it's been real tough out there. Keep looking, don't give up!

Here in silicon valley, high tech companies are not interested in applicants from non-tech, dinosaur-like, depressing company such as TMO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

I can't tell you how happy I am to be out of there, even if it was forced on me. I should have left years ago but I stayed under some crazy desire for stability. Lots of good that did when they decided to destabilize things for me. But, I found a better job with better pay. So actually, I should be thanking them!

No one has mentioned it here, but they just went through some more reorganization last week, mostly continuing to destroy what was left of their Safety division. Sales changes mostly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TFS Gloom in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I can't tell you how happy I am to be out of there, even if it was forced on me. I should have left years ago but I stayed under some crazy desire for stability. Lots of good that did when they decided to destabilize things for me. But, I found a better job with better pay. So actually, I should be thanking them!

No one has mentioned it here, but they just went through some more reorganization last week, mostly continuing to destroy what was left of their Safety division. Sales changes mostly.

Were you let go as part of a lay off or they just made your life miserable
And made you out to look like a bad employee?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

35 months ago

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I can't tell you how happy I am to be out of there, even if it was forced on me. I should have left years ago but I stayed under some crazy desire for stability. Lots of good that did when they decided to destabilize things for me. But, I found a better job with better pay. So actually, I should be thanking them!

No one has mentioned it here, but they just went through some more reorganization last week, mostly continuing to destroy what was left of their Safety division. Sales changes mostly.

I know how happy you are. I left Thermo a few months ago.
Way to go! Now you can start living again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

TFS Gloom in Houston, Texas said: Were you let go as part of a lay off or they just made your life miserable
And made you out to look like a bad employee?

I was let go as part of a lay off. Turns out it was one of the best things that happened to me! I'm sure there are plenty of people at Thermo who like their job and get the respect (pay & recognition)they deserve, but I wasn't one of them. I know that now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

TFS Gloom in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I was let go as part of a lay off. Turns out it was one of the best things that happened to me! I'm sure there are plenty of people at Thermo who like their job and get the respect (pay & recognition)they deserve, but I wasn't one of them. I know that now.

I'm really happy for you. I'm in the same situation. I love what I do and some of the people I work with, but I dint like how managers & senior management treat people and are running the business now. Your right the respect & recognition is not there. I only see GREED. I'm actively looking so I hope to be happy again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Life Science in Alamo, California

35 months ago

What is ThermoFisher like in the Bay Area to work for these days. They seem to be doing well compared to VWR
Just interested to hear what is it like to be a territory manager in California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

34 months ago

Ask for a one-month leave from your current employer, then work for TMO and if you don't like it, go back to your old job. Too many of us made wrong moves.... simply because hiring managers are not honest with the real situation in interviews!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

34 months ago

Thermo Fisher Eliminating 230 Jobs
May 10, 2012

NEW YORK (GenomeWeb News) – Thermo Fisher Scientific informed about 230 employees earlier this year that their jobs are being eliminated, the company disclosed in a document filed with the US Securities and Exchange Commission last week.

In its Form 10-Q, Thermo Fisher said that its severance costs totaled $10 million for the first quarter ended March 31 for the job cuts across all three of its segments — Analytical Technologies, Specialty Diagnostics, and Laboratory Products and Services.

A company spokesman said that while the charge was taken in the first quarter and the employees were notified of their job eliminations in the first quarter, some of the headcount reductions would occur later in the year.

About 100 layoffs are occurring in Analytical Technologies. Thermo Fisher took a charge of $3.1 million for severance related to the reduction in headcount and took a charge of $1 million for abandoned facility costs, it said in its Form 10-Q.

About 50 employees are being laid off in Specialty Diagnostics, and Thermo Fisher took a $1.7 million charge for severance and a $300,000 charge for abandoned facility costs.

Laboratory Products and Services is being reduced by 80 employees, which resulted in a charge of $5.2 million for severance. Thermo Fisher also took a charge of $1.2 million for abandoned facility costs and $1.2 million of other cash costs, primarily retention, relocation, and moving expenses related to facility consolidations, it said.

The company added that as of May 4, it had identified restructuring actions that will result in additional charges of $70 million, primarily in the remainder of 2012. It is unclear, how much of that, if any, is related to additional headcount reductions. The layoffs follow the elimination of several hundred jobs last year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

34 months ago

Continued....

During the firm's fourth-quarter earnings conference call in early February, Thermo Fisher President and CEO Marc Casper said that restructuring and cost-cutting moves are expected to save the company about $100 million in total between 2011 and 2013.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ex Thermo UK in London, United Kingdom

34 months ago

So, more "restructuring and cost-cutting"...........the same old story.

It is really very sad - almost criminal - when the hard-working, honest workforce of a company are forced to pay for the incompetence of the senior management.

This has always been especially true in the Casper era of Thermo, where idiotic management decisions by corporate Thermo in the US have resulted in layoffs in other countries like Germany, where the profits are still high. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

To Mr. Life Science in Alamo.......I completely agree with the advice of Bean Counter - see if it is possible to "try it before you buy it", because it may save you much pain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DILLIGAF in Reading, United Kingdom

34 months ago

Ex Thermo UK in London, United Kingdom said: So, more "restructuring and cost-cutting"...........the same old story.

It is really very sad - almost criminal - when the hard-working, honest workforce of a company are forced to pay for the incompetence of the senior management.

This has always been especially true in the Casper era of Thermo, where idiotic management decisions by corporate Thermo in the US have resulted in layoffs in other countries like Germany, where the profits are still high. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

To Mr. Life Science in Alamo.......I completely agree with the advice of Bean Counter - see if it is possible to "try it before you buy it", because it may save you much pain.

There must be lay off's or cut backs in Germany as the work they took from the closure of the Beenham UK plant is being sub-contracted out back to a UK manufacture. Good for the UK company bad for more Thermo workers in Germany. Or was it that the loss of the experienced work force at Beenham which was a "Centre Of Excellence" meant that the corporate management at Thermo made another CLUSTER F**K UP......pmsl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

34 months ago

One thing stands out: If you read their financial filings, they report restructuring (layoffs + plant closure) EVERY quarter, that's not something you'd find in other companies' financials.

So they'll pay $70 million for many heads on the chopping board!
"The company added that as of May 4, it had identified restructuring actions that will result in additional charges of $70 million, primarily in the remainder of 2012."

And Mr Piggy and his lieutanents' bank account will be rewarded big time!
"Thermo Fisher President and CEO Marc Casper said that restructuring and cost-cutting moves are expected to save the company about $100 million in total between 2011 and 2013."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

34 months ago

Bean counter in San Jose, California said: Continued....

During the firm's fourth-quarter earnings conference call in early February, Thermo Fisher President and CEO Marc Casper said that restructuring and cost-cutting moves are expected to save the company about $100 million in total between 2011 and 2013.

I wonder what percentage Casper will get of that cost savings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Well, I know he's got MY contribution to those savings!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Life Science in Alamo in Oakland, California

34 months ago

Ex Thermo UK in London, United Kingdom said: So, more "restructuring and cost-cutting"...........the same old story.

It is really very sad - almost criminal - when the hard-working, honest workforce of a company are forced to pay for the incompetence of the senior management.

This has always been especially true in the Casper era of Thermo, where idiotic management decisions by corporate Thermo in the US have resulted in layoffs in other countries like Germany, where the profits are still high. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

To Mr. Life Science in Alamo.......I completely agree with the advice of Bean Counter - see if it is possible to "try it before you buy it", because it may save you much pain.

I was in the UK as well workiing with LUPC - you must have been working with A. Box how long ago were you working with Fisher, in London VWR was doing well, that is the company I was selling my products through

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York

34 months ago

5/25/12:So our Stupidvisor,in our morning communication meeting,with 30 seconds to go says:"Starting next weekend,there will be Mandatory Overtime through the Summer".FANTASTIC!!!! Good thing I've mastered hiking it to the corner store,getting a 24oz Natty Ice,finishing it,and back on time to the line for my late break(15 min)!!!Good thing we took on 5 kids for Summer Help.I wonder how many are gonna stick it out.Can't WAIT to work 12 days in a row!!!Did I mention I DIDN'T get a Raise this year???I hate this place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

34 months ago

It's common knowledge that one way companies -- especially TMO -- boost their profit is to reduce their payroll expenses. And they know their employees will stick around no matter how poorly they are treated because it's still very much an employers' market. Another reason for lowballing their workers is to tranfer the money allocated to the average employees' merit raises to the CEO and his favorite VPs. It's all a numbers game. ... at the expense of the rank-and-file.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

34 months ago

When you look up greed in the dictionary it says: "see Thermo".
Thermo is run by a bunch of money worshipping psychopaths.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

34 months ago

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York said: 5/25/12:So our Stupidvisor,in our morning communication meeting,with 30 seconds to go says:"Starting next weekend,there will be Mandatory Overtime through the Summer".FANTASTIC!!!! Good thing I've mastered hiking it to the corner store,getting a 24oz Natty Ice,finishing it,and back on time to the line for my late break(15 min)!!!Good thing we took on 5 kids for Summer Help.I wonder how many are gonna stick it out.Can't WAIT to work 12 days in a row!!!Did I mention I DIDN'T get a Raise this year???I hate this place.

I feel your pain dude. You really need to get out of there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

SMDrefugee in Morton, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I can't tell you how happy I am to be out of there, even if it was forced on me. I should have left years ago but I stayed under some crazy desire for stability. Lots of good that did when they decided to destabilize things for me. But, I found a better job with better pay. So actually, I should be thanking them!

No one has mentioned it here, but they just went through some more reorganization last week, mostly continuing to destroy what was left of their Safety division. Sales changes mostly.

No they completely destroyed what was once an industry leader in its field. Entire management team reassigned or just let go. What is left is a confusing mess, with most of the real talent looking to move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ExTMODrone in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

SMDrefugee in Morton, Pennsylvania said: No they completely destroyed what was once an industry leader in its field. Entire management team reassigned or just let go. What is left is a confusing mess, with most of the real talent looking to move.

Agreed. Before I was dismissed, I felt that SMD was on the right path with some new talent, new ideas and lots of initiative. But instead of really trying to differentiate themselves, which would have required some work and some of Casper's money, they decided to take the path of least resistance - assimilation. The company never really tried to learn the safety business. It was always just part of Fisher Scientific. Then Thermo came along and sealed its fate. SMD had some great leadership in the past that tried to advance its cause, but they always hit a brick wall. The most recent SMD leaders were historic Fisher Scientific and weren't strong enough to do anything other than rollover when corporate came calling.

Such a shame, really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TFS Gloom in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

Has anyone heard what is going to happen between AQI Franklin & EPD Process Systems since they merged? Will people be let go since there a dual positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frankie in San Jose, California

32 months ago

That's a given... happens to any merger... the only difference is TMO acts a little slow in axing people when comparing with some better managed companies... so it's good for TMO employees... ironic but the affected workers get to delay their unemployment...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York

32 months ago

7/20/12: Well,I was waiting untill the meeting to tell you all about this one. Wait for it... "HR1"!!!!It was rolled out today,in effect 7/24/12.Seems like another well thought out plan to further separate Corporate from "Boots on the Ground".We only lost one HR staffer.Yep,that's right,the Oldest,most Senior staffer here.25+ years.At least they left the 2 HR Generalists.I guess somebody has to be here to listen to us complain about stupid things and pretend to care.I just hope they gave B.L.a halfway decent severance package.She deserves one.So now we have 4 HR people.The 2 Generalists,the Director(Mean,Useless and Stupid) and one other who really ought to see her job as nearing closure shortly.Casper and his "One Thermo" by 2020 plan in action.This is coming soon to a Plant near you!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frankie in San Jose, California

32 months ago

Only 2 HR left here (acquired by TMO in 6/11) out of 9... 1 HR mgr & 1 benefit gal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

just another worker in Macedon, New York

32 months ago

leave it to Thermo they took the human out of human resources

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

News junkie in San Jose, California

32 months ago

Stumbled upon this tragic news....

FLORENCE, Ky. - When Michelle Mockbee was found murdered at her Florence workplace on May 29 she left behind a husband and two children.

Mockbee's body was found at the Thermo Fisher Scientific facility, located at 7383 Empire Drive.

Boone County Sheriff's Deputies say Mockbee was assaulted near the office area of the building. Officials did not find a weapon at the scene.

Police say Mockbee, a Fort Mitchell resident, left her residence around 6 a.m. to go to work. She was an employee with Thermo Fisher Scientific for 16 years.

Her family is organizing an event aimed at benefiting the children she left behind.

The event is being held at the Buffalo Wings and Rings, located at 2440 High street in Crescent Springs, Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Mockbee's murder remains unsolved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

32 months ago

News junkie in San Jose, California said: Stumbled upon this tragic news....

FLORENCE, Ky. - When Michelle Mockbee was found murdered at her Florence workplace on May 29 she left behind a husband and two children.

Mockbee's body was found at the Thermo Fisher Scientific facility, located at 7383 Empire Drive.

Boone County Sheriff's Deputies say Mockbee was assaulted near the office area of the building. Officials did not find a weapon at the scene.

Police say Mockbee, a Fort Mitchell resident, left her residence around 6 a.m. to go to work. She was an employee with Thermo Fisher Scientific for 16 years.

Her family is organizing an event aimed at benefiting the children she left behind.

The event is being held at the Buffalo Wings and Rings, located at 2440 High street in Crescent Springs, Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Mockbee's murder remains unsolved.

A non-employee would have a hard time getting into a Thermo
facility without being detected. Most require an electronic badge
to enter the building. Most buildings have alarms set during non-
working hours.
FLORENCE, Ky. - When Michelle Mockbee was found murdered at her Florence workplace on May 29 she left behind a husband and two children.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SupaDupa in Madison, Wisconsin

32 months ago

Coming from having done the worlds crappiest jobs, Thermo fisher scientific is heaven. Sure, they're always downsizing and you're always fearing job security...but hey, that happens everywhere, not just thermo fisher. Heck, that's how I landed at TSF because my old job laid me off a few years ago.

Sure its faced paced and can be kind of stressful (Hah! not really!). But, the manufacturing floor has carpeting, lots of windows, and it's really bright. Not like the dark depressing factories where I come from. I have seen hell, believe me. Thermo fisher is far from it. Heck, even the lowest rank production employees get a minimum of $14 an hour. The factories I came from didn't even pay $9/hr. For those of you who are wondering, I'll make a simple list of pros and cons. No, I'm not a manager or anything, just a test technician that's seen it all.

Pros:

-Great environment, beautiful scenery, lots of turkeys roaming freely. I feel like cinderella every time I drive into the park that is TSF.

-lots of large windows, letting the bright sun shine in.

-carpeting on the manufacturing floor. For ESD reasons, but hey, it's more pleasing than a dark concrete floor you would see in a normal factory.

-no conveyor belt. With the absence of conveyor belts, I feel strangely free. We use carts and strollers.

-Every production station feels almost like an office space. With a computer at almost every station, and a comfortable chair you can sit on while doing your work. A manufacturing site where assemblers are allowed to sit all day long?! Oh lord yes!

-Flexible hours. You can come in at 5, or you can come in at 9am, as long as you do your 8 hours, they're fine with it-- ANY TIME.

-the honor system, no clocking in or out. You can take your breaks whenever you want, there is no set schedule. Not that I abuse the system, I just love the stress-free perks!

--more on next post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SupaDupa in Madison, Wisconsin

32 months ago

Pros continued:

-no bells or whistles to indicate start/breaks/lunch/go home! Hell yeah! Try working at any other factory for several years and see if that don't drive you mad!

-Elevators. Use whenever you want. AWESOME!! You do have the stairs options if you so choose...

-There's this thing called 'Kaizen' which is a system aimed at improving efficiency, and movement! The less you fumble to get the job done, the less you have to get up out of that comfy chair, the happier you --and coincidentally-- THEY are! If you can find more ways to be efficiently lazy, you might just get a raise! What other factory (besides toyota) does that?!

-Lots of meetings. Who likes to stand/sit around for 15 minutes to 2 hours to do nothing but hear other people talk, and get paid? me!

-You can stop in the middle of work...to answer your phone and chat for a few minutes! Any other factory would have you fired already! I have no friends or family, so I don't really get calls, but everyone else does, and it's okay!

-Great cafeteria with cheap prices! I don't know if other sites have a cafeteria, but its simply awesome!

-You can chat and joke around with co-workers while you work!

-Air conditioning/heating. The building is always at a comfortable temperature, no matter what season.

-And here is my personal favorite: You can blast your MP3 player while you work! I let my body do the work while my mind flies off to music land, or listen to the radio on my headphones. Some people listen to e-books all day while they work! This really helps the time fly!

-You start out with 15 days of vacation per year, +1 day for every year you work. It maxes out at 25 days. I have never seen so many PTO days. Max I ever had was 10 days per year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

I must be mad to work here in Reading, United Kingdom

32 months ago

To SupaDupa in Madison, Wisconsin

Your company can't have been part of TFS for very long.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SupaDupa in Madison, Wisconsin

32 months ago

well, i've been here for about 5 years. And as far as I can tell, this company has been thermo for at least 15 years. I do understand that this was once thermo electron though. But so far I'm loving it!

Are the pros that I listed also a part of your site? or is it more lame and hellish? I just want to do a comparison.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

h34rtNalge_h8TMO in rochester, New York

32 months ago

SupaDupa in Madison, Wisconsin said: well, i've been here for about 5 years. And as far as I can tell, this company has been thermo for at least 15 years. I do understand that this was once thermo electron though. But so far I'm loving it!

Are the pros that I listed also a part of your site? or is it more lame and hellish? I just want to do a comparison.

your situation sounds rare for not just TMO, but the workplace in general.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SupaDupa in Madison, Wisconsin

32 months ago

yeah, i thought it was rare. In my 20+ years of working my butt off, I've never seen a workplace quite like this one, that's why I'm so enthusiastic about it. Also, I don't think I've seen anyone from madison complain at all about thermo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York

31 months ago

OK SD,here we go.MY TMO plant: $14/hr? We start off at $9/hr,and with 2.5% raise,if your're lucky,you won't hit $10 for 5 years.I work in a big metal box,where the A/C is for keeping the machines cool,not you.You are an unintended recipient of the climate control system.NO windows,except for the security doors.Carpeting???Only in the office area to help absorb the machine noise.Computers at work stations? NOWHERE!!Chairs?Only because they don't want you bending over 1000 times a day to pick stuff out of the drop chute.Flex hours?? You have to use PTO to balance out your time if you punch in late.We have "E-Time" which uses your FINGER PRINT to verify who you are.Our MANDATORY pre-shift communication meeting is of no value whatsoever.We have Supervisors who will confiscate your phone if they see it out,and you can pick it up in the HR office along with whatever warning you are up to.MP3??? Safety glasses and ear plugs as SOON as you walk in or the warnings start stacking up.I LOST 80 hrs of PTO when TMO took over,thankyouverymuch.Sounds like your only "CON" is the one you're trying to pull on us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

31 months ago

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York said: OK SD,here we go.MY TMO plant: $14/hr? We start off at $9/hr,and with 2.5% raise,if your're lucky,you won't hit $10 for 5 years.I work in a big metal box,where the A/C is for keeping the machines cool,not you.You are an unintended recipient of the climate control system.NO windows,except for the security doors.Carpeting???Only in the office area to help absorb the machine noise.Computers at work stations? NOWHERE!!Chairs?Only because they don't want you bending over 1000 times a day to pick stuff out of the drop chute.Flex hours?? You have to use PTO to balance out your time if you punch in late.We have "E-Time" which uses your FINGER PRINT to verify who you are.Our MANDATORY pre-shift communication meeting is of no value whatsoever.We have Supervisors who will confiscate your phone if they see it out,and you can pick it up in the HR office along with whatever warning you are up to.MP3??? Safety glasses and ear plugs as SOON as you walk in or the warnings start stacking up.I LOST 80 hrs of PTO when TMO took over,thankyouverymuch.Sounds like your only "CON" is the one you're trying to pull on us.

Welcome to the new World Order!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

31 months ago

While the average American is working longer hours for lower wages, CEOs of major corporations not only enjoy huge compensation packages and incredible stock option deals, but they receive golden parachutes, loans, generous retirement plans, private jets, and a wide range of other benefits. The result is that the richest 1% now own more wealth than the bottom 95% and we have, by far, the most unfair distribution of wealth and income in the industrialized world.
(written by Bernie Sanders)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

31 months ago

What happened to the 'shareholders' revolt' against the obscene compensation package in US? Very disappointed at the institution shareholders who I believe could put a stop to it! The board is so corrupted that I never expect them to do anything!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

31 months ago

Even if a CEO delivers good result, his compensation is totally undeserving, let alone when he fails...

LONDON (AP) — The chief executive of Aviva, Britain's largest insurer, has resigned following a shareholder revolt over executive pay, the company said Tuesday.

The company gave no explanation for the decision by Andrew Moss, who had been CEO since 2007, to step down a week after shareholders voted against the company's decisions on executive pay and bonuses.

At Aviva's annual general meeting a week ago, 823 million votes were recorded against the pay plan, or remuneration report, compared to 670 million in favor. Another 152 million votes abstained.

Shareholders were unhappy at a 33 percent drop in the value of shares in the last year.

Aviva shares were up 4.9 percent at 317 pence in early trading in London.

"We suspect that the latest batch of negative headlines over the Remuneration Report at the AGM was the last straw and Moss had to go," said Barrie Cornes, analyst at Panmure Gordon & Co. "Few will shed any tears given his handling of the business over the last few years which have seen the shares massively underperform the sector."

Barclays was also stung by a drop in shareholder support for the bank's executive compensation. Seventy-three percent of the vote supported Barclays' plan, down from 90 percent a year earlier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York

30 months ago

FREE AT LAST!!!FREE AT LAST!!! THANK GOD ALLMIGHTY,I'M FREE AT LAST!!!Today,9/28/12,at 3pm was my final punch out!!!I'm moving on to greener pastures,and a better job!!! No more 5:15 am alarm,no more Factory Drama!! I said my "Good Byes" and I...AM...OUTTA...HERE!!!What started out as a "Stop Gap" job turned into a 16 year career singing the "Plastic Packing Blues"!!!And it's all done. Free at last!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy To Be Out in Massachusetts

30 months ago

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York said: FREE AT LAST!!!FREE AT LAST!!! THANK GOD ALLMIGHTY,I'M FREE AT LAST!!!Today,9/28/12,at 3pm was my final punch out!!!I'm moving on to greener pastures,and a better job!!! No more 5:15 am alarm,no more Factory Drama!! I said my "Good Byes" and I...AM...OUTTA...HERE!!!What started out as a "Stop Gap" job turned into a 16 year career singing the "Plastic Packing Blues"!!!And it's all done. Free at last!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR "GUARANTEED TO BE BETTER" LIFE AHEAD!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

30 months ago

bottle packing box taper in Rochester, New York said: FREE AT LAST!!!FREE AT LAST!!! THANK GOD ALLMIGHTY,I'M FREE AT LAST!!!Today,9/28/12,at 3pm was my final punch out!!!I'm moving on to greener pastures,and a better job!!! No more 5:15 am alarm,no more Factory Drama!! I said my "Good Byes" and I...AM...OUTTA...HERE!!!What started out as a "Stop Gap" job turned into a 16 year career singing the "Plastic Packing Blues"!!!And it's all done. Free at last!!!

AWESOME! So happy for you dude!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marcie Playground in Overland Park, Kansas

28 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Thermo Fisher Scientific stack up against the competition?

They like to waste people's time interviewing them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lackey McLackerson in Claymont, Delaware

28 months ago

Marcie Playground in Overland Park, Kansas said: They like to waste people's time interviewing them

Redwood City is going to be history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Design1 in Palo Alto, California

27 months ago

I have to say, I've never read so much whining and gossiping which is toxicity in the workplace. No wonder the morale is low. I am not familiar with this company, and perhaps things are not great. But...good grief, just leave and stop complaining and move on with your life. A company is only as good as it's people. If they are truly not doing anything right, they will fold and you can smugly smile and say I told you so.

Additionally, on behalf of the millions of unemployed and homeless who can't feed their children tonight because they can't find a job and their unemployment has ended or they never had any, I say you are all spoiled, over indulged Americans who don't even deserve a "terrible place to work" like Thermo Scientific.

I have a strong suspicion that if most of you had done less complaining on the job and more work, you might have been treated differently.

I find it hard to believe that the whiners did everything right while on the job, and that they are completely innocent of any wrong doing or slacking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

I must be mad to work here in Reading, United Kingdom

27 months ago

Design1
If you had bothered to read some of the posts you would see that it's not just USA employees commenting here.
The Thermo environment is toxic to everything it touches. Companies that were once profitable with hard working employees are absorbed into the homogenous mass that is Thermo. The old management are side-lined as new management is parachuted in from elsewhere who have no experience in the marketplace the company works in. Profits dwindle as customers desert due to drop in support & product knowledge as those that can escape before the rot sets in.
Then the cost cutting starts (no thought of actually INVESTING in the products of the company e.g. by recruiting to replace those that leave) because the profits are down. Then inevitably someone looks at the balance sheet and decides to close down what is left of the previously profitable and vibrant company.
I know this because I lived through it.
Amazingly there are those (including me) who were actually proud of the lifesaving products we made and continued to put in every effort right up to the last day at Thermo.
We did it not because we had to but because we CARED even if the company didn't.
And that is the root of the problem at Thermo. There are a lot of people who really care about what they do but once you get 2 or three layers of management above them no one cares.
So if you are working or have worked at Thermo then this forum allows your experiences at the company to reach a bigger audience (as a warning) BUT if you don’t work there or have never worked there then by all means read the comments but don’t call us whingers and slackers.
If you are looking for work then I wish you luck but avoid Thermo if you can. They will suck the life out of you and spit you out when they can’t get anything more from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

mass21 in Massachusetts

27 months ago

Design1 in Palo Alto, California said: I have to say, I've never read so much whining and gossiping which is toxicity in the workplace. No wonder the morale is low. I am not familiar with this company, and perhaps things are not great. But...good grief, just leave and stop complaining and move on with your life. A company is only as good as it's people. If they are truly not doing anything right, they will fold and you can smugly smile and say I told you so.

Additionally, on behalf of the millions of unemployed and homeless who can't feed their children tonight because they can't find a job and their unemployment has ended or they never had any, I say you are all spoiled, over indulged Americans who don't even deserve a "terrible place to work" like Thermo Scientific.

I have a strong suspicion that if most of you had done less complaining on the job and more work, you might have been treated differently.

I find it hard to believe that the whiners did everything right while on the job, and that they are completely innocent of any wrong doing or slacking.

Don't pass judgement until you have worked there. I've been out
over a year and I'm very happy with my new job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TMO where people come last in United Kingdom

26 months ago

Following senior leaderrship meet in US it is clear that the objective for getting MrCasper his next yacht is clear:

Deliver on the targets handed down from Planet Nutter that MC inhabits or cut heads to provide the same results! January is not yet over and some BU's are already working out how many and who to cut! Way to go TMO

I wonder if MC is still using the private jet as part of his contribution to cost cutting. I am told that he always turns right after boarding though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.