Toll Brothers News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Toll Brothers stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

eva

92 months ago

toll brothers is not very good company they pay low salary a nd they made all kind of exucice not pay people for days they work, just be carefull with this company!!!!!!!!! If you work you should get pay if they do not pay they should say fisrt time you get there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

BMAN in Harrisville, Rhode Island

92 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

LAYOFFS HAPPENED FEB 8 2007

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aldan in Atlanta, Georgia

90 months ago

eva said: toll brothers is not very good company they pay low salary a nd they made all kind of exucice not pay people for days they work, just be carefull with this company!!!!!!!!! If you work you should get pay if they do not pay they should say fisrt time you get there

Ok at Toll Bros. anyone with a low salary is either in a position not highly valued or necessary to the sucess of toll bros. or they have the position and failed to display from hire their negotiation skills; I you can buy a Ferrari for $200.00 aren't you going to? what is the true value and true market price?
$200,000.00+; Yes be careful to fit the appearance and mannerisms and style of business be very sharp at what you do handle office politics in that context and you will get top dollar. About layoffs you have to remember all RE Development is a market driven business and it has peak periods and low periods more marked than GE product production; So you must fit the image, deliver the brains, and be indespensible. If upper class management can buy a Ferrari for $200.00 thats worth $200,000.00 they will do it and pocket the gain. Its actually all your fault; look in the mirror and see where do your mannerisms, attire, and business savy most accurately and happily fit? I was an exempt employee for 8 years, I worked overtime without pay, I was very well paid in my basic salary bonus structure, and they about cried when I left- but we were a perfect match.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

XToll in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Actually Aldan, you are incorrect about Toll treatment of employees. They value those that "produce" dollars for them; infrastructure based employees are not paid at market value. Infrastructure is critical to the success of any business, however, Toll doesn't see that or value the skills or experience of that staff unless they have a "tie-in" to a higher up. Toll has VERY HIGH turnover; and no, it's not all in the building side. So, it's not the best place to work. Don't believe me - are they on any of the "best companies to work lists"? That is what you need to research.

You will get paid top dollar at Toll if you have a tie in to a "Core Toll player" be that a 20 year VP of Toll or Bob's landscaper.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Toll Stinks in Saint Louis, Missouri

89 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

I escaped the recent round of layoffs at Toll and let me say that if you have a family to support do not jeopardize their well being regardless of what HR tells you about the future of the company. I found a job at a good company and count my blessings every day - I got out just in time and my family is in good shape.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

eva said: toll brothers is not very good company they pay low salary a nd they made all kind of exucice not pay people for days they work, just be carefull with this company!!!!!!!!! If you work you should get pay if they do not pay they should say fisrt time you get there

I hear they fire people who can't spell well or have mad typos in their writing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aldan in GA in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

89 months ago

Eva your english isn't the quality Toll wants in an employee- could it be you didn't have the qualities you represented to Toll?
I worked for years there- happily, sucessfully.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Let us know how happy you are after the next round of layoffs. Better be nice to Eva - she may get you a job sloppin up the Flick Five buddy ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Horsham, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

I have never had a problem getting paid from Toll Brothers. I have been doing work for them for over 12 years now. Maybe the reason you didn't get paid was due to your poor quality work or poor billing practices????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The double truth Ruth in Saint Louis, Missouri

88 months ago

Ryan in Horsham, Pennsylvania said: I have never had a problem getting paid from Toll Brothers. I have been doing work for them for over 12 years now. Maybe the reason you didn't get paid was due to your poor quality work or poor billing practices????

Or maybe there is something to the complaint, and the fact that the cleaning staff doesn't speak english and that they are in fact taken advantage of. It's easy to take credit for our luck as though it is the result of some superior quality. Again - let's see how "lucky" you superior, hard working (lol) white guys feel after the next round of layoffs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Current_Toll in Horsham, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

I work in the marketing department at Toll (Corp Office) and I am paid very well - no layoffs will ever occur in the marketing dept.

Any layoffs would only occur in the field (and that is mostly because there are quite a few field workers who cannot properly do their job)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Double Truth Ruth in Saint Louis, Missouri

87 months ago

Current_Toll in Horsham, Pennsylvania said: I work in the marketing department at Toll (Corp Office) and I am paid very well - no layoffs will ever occur in the marketing dept.

Any layoffs would only occur in the field (and that is mostly because there are quite a few field workers who cannot properly do their job)

Famous last words. If you are paid so well then you definitely should be worried - someone cheaper can do your job
just as well. As for the guys in the field what do you know about it? It is easy to photoshop some pics into a pamphlet
but try traversing a loop in a swamp. One word for you buddy - Hubris - look it up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Mundelein, Illinois

87 months ago

I was the CM for the Job that won "project fo the year" accolades for the Chicago division last year. I was laid off in March. Draw your own conclusions. No one is guaranteed a job in this type of market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Double Truth Ruth in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Famous last words. If you are paid so well then you definitely should be worried - someone cheaper can do your job
just as well. As for the guys in the field what do you know about it? It is easy to photoshop some pics into a pamphlet
but try traversing a loop in a swamp. One word for you buddy - Hubris - look it up.

You are right, anyone can put photos into pamphlets. I, of course, work in the online marketing department. Could someone cheaper do my job? Yes. Could they do it properly? No.

In this real estate market, it is important to have skills that not "anyone" can have. I have ways to bring in sales leads that the company otherwise would not be able to get. Perhaps you can pay someone low wages to do something such as "traversing a loop in a swamp" though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Current_Toll in Horsham, Pennsylvania said: You are right, anyone can put photos into pamphlets. I, of course, work in the online marketing department. Could someone cheaper do my job? Yes. Could they do it properly? No.

In this real estate market, it is important to have skills that not "anyone" can have. I have ways to bring in sales leads that the company otherwise would not be able to get. Perhaps you can pay someone low wages to do something such as "traversing a loop in a swamp" though.

"Properly" is a relative term - maybe even relative to the health of a given market; say housing for instance. I could be the very best at what I do, but a kid out of college could have raw talent that a little bit of on the job training could polish to a degree where half the salary buys proportionately more work. While the market is down this kid will do, and if he continues to learn he will be ready for the upswing. Companies pay big when times are good and chop heads when they are not. They don't save money by laying off interns. Tolls problems will not be solved by marketing so save that argument.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

i _know_toll in Deepwater, New Jersey

86 months ago

There will be a layoff in October and you heard it here first

Insider

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

may or may not be employed after today in Horsham, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

There were layoffs today. Lots of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Double Truth Ruth in Saint Louis, Missouri said: "Properly" is a relative term - maybe even relative to the health of a given market; say housing for instance. I could be the very best at what I do, but a kid out of college could have raw talent that a little bit of on the job training could polish to a degree where half the salary buys proportionately more work. While the market is down this kid will do, and if he continues to learn he will be ready for the upswing. Companies pay big when times are good and chop heads when they are not. They don't save money by laying off interns. Tolls problems will not be solved by marketing so save that argument.

I guess I should have said that I was the kid fresh out of college (2 years) but I am in a specialized field that gets paid well everywhere. I would never say that our marketing department can "save" anything. All builders are facing tough times, but the reality is that people live in homes, so eventually new homes will be in need again and the business will thrive.

Heard nothing about any layoffs in my department, are those in the field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

They were in regional offices, division operations, project managers in the field, from what I hear other Toll Divisions (ie Toll Arch, ESE etc) can expect significant hits.

86 months ago

For the record, I love my job and I think Toll is a great place to work. Previous posters have been right on the money. If you position yourself as adding value and you are bright, ambitious and forthright in your salary negotiation you will be rewarded for your efforts. I have no doubt when the RE market recovers (and it will) Toll will be at the bearish force it has always been. Good luck to all who are moving on!

86 months ago

Good luck to all who were let go. "In the midst of every difficulty is opportunity" and I hope you find yours. Somehow Bob Toll will still get his annual 35 million dollar bonus I suspect. The chickens will come home to roost in the future when qualified talent looks elsewhere for pay, benefits and security with a company that can weather the storm with everyone on board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HA HA in Sterling, Virginia

86 months ago

I am paid very well - no layoffs will ever occur in the marketing dept.

That's funny you work in the Marketing Department. Looks like your marketing has really paid off the last year or so. I got an idea why don't you come out in the field with those of us that have not been laid off and do some real work. Looks like you have plenty of time in your day to search the web. And oh by the way the people that have been laid off are great people and cuts were made per community not talent so pay attention cubicle jockey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chuter in union, New Jersey

80 months ago

Its early Feb 2008. The market is awful in NJ and Toll is in deep water.
Anyone have any concrete info about making an offer on a new Toll Bros home?
Incentives are everywhere. Have you heard of any recent successful offers and what incentives they included?
Some communities are offering up to 50K in accomodations on additions. IS there room for more?
Any recent advise is greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exem in New York

79 months ago

Toll Bros. resents that they need sales managers at all - if the company could figure out a way to sell w/ out them -they would

The company has been laying off sales managers and sales associates for the past year- If anyone takes the time to look at the corporate structure - you will find that the company is top heavy with PM's, Sr. PM's, AVP's,VP's , Sr. VP's, 1st sr. VP's and finally CEO,CFO, etc. - it is interesting that none of these people are laid off... -there are divisions w/ 3 sales managers and 3-4 PMs, and 4-5 various VP's all reporting to a sr. vp who reports to Bob T. - (as an example). I am surprised that analysts, shareholders ,and the media haven't researched this.

The sales office morale is terrible - very unhappy place to work right now - living under the constant fear of being the next to go...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rsd in Herndon, Virginia

77 months ago

I know the Club Food and Beverage side is a complete disaster. They do not know what they are doing. The food and beverage IQ throughout the company is unbelievably low. The "chef" out of Florida is becoming a corporate arm of the company. However, he does not have any quality food bloodlines. They are running the same boring event nights for the last 6 years for their membership--anybody for corndogs and pizza, pasta and prime rib night--there is no one forward thinking in F&B. Deals are made between vendors and GM's without consent for quality and standards. The VP is not personable and not very knowledgeable about food and micro-manages, and he'll fire you based on personal sentiment. GM's with little f&b background passing judgement without operational experience. They are a boys network with ties to club corp and if you are not part of their network you are not in the know. Upper management makes quick decisions without forethought. Deals are made with the vendors at the exclusion of the chef--back room style.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.