Total Wine & More Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Total Wine & More?

What do you like best about working at Total Wine & More? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

bill dennis in Woodbridge, Virginia

75 months ago

I have noticed that you have advertised for
a retail wine manager on a number of occasions, and I have submitted at least two
resumes for your review, but to date I have
not received any respone from your company.
I am currently working at another retail
company, as a retail manager, but I would
be very interested in interviewing for a
postion with Total Wine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

retailwine in United Kingdom

66 months ago

i understand that they are not a good place to work, that they do not care about their employees, all they care about is making money.

average payrates, bad benefits, bad schedules, demanding work, limited perks - wine training, wine tasting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

totalslave in anywhere, Florida

65 months ago

lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe WineGuy in Maryland

65 months ago

Yes, retailing stinks at the moment and it is easy for a retailer to take advantage of its employees. What favoritism to they have? Any blogs elsewhere on getting union going?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Hey Joe

First of all I know TWM monitors websites and blogs

I also know that you may be a corporate "mole", or perhaps you are just another hump like me, and you work at DSW.

I'm sure you know of the favoritism with schedules, having people who are not "in favor" close then open, shorting their hours, writeups for minimal lateness.

There are many GRAY AREA ways to nudge someone out the door.

The owners would go BALLISTIC if they knew a union was being organized, and anyone attempting to form would be hammered out the door.

I think if they TOOK A LOOK IN THE MIRROR and saw how they are treating their employees at store level with no paid HOLIDAY days,
WORK WHEN SICK..... OR TAKE VACATION, not even a gift card as a bonus, etc..... they may feel a SPEC of EMPATHY.

I have seen them lose MANY GOOD EMPLOYEES once the lure of a promotion upon being hired wears away. Anyone with brains can see the forest from the trees after a month or so.

Mabey one of the owners will be informed of this and perhaps think and not be OFFENDED or INTIMIDATED by the fact that the employees are HUMAN and its not all about PROFIT and HOW FAST CAN WE OPEN MORE STORES.

Would it bee too much to ask for CHRISTMAS, THANKSGIVING, and a couple of more PAID HOLIDAYS? how about a mere FIVE SICK DAYS, with a reward of pay if not taken?

MABYE a TWENTY FIVE DOLLAR GIFT CARD to be used at the store for christmas?

Geez!

Maybe TWM DOES NEED A UNION ORGANIZER TO WAKE THEM UP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

totalslave in anywhere, Florida said: Hey Joe

First of all I know TWM monitors websites and blogs

I also know that you may be a corporate "mole", or perhaps you are just another hump like me, and you work at DSW.

I'm sure you know of the favoritism with schedules, having people who are not "in favor" close then open, shorting their hours, writeups for minimal lateness.

There are many GRAY AREA ways to nudge someone out the door.

The owners would go BALLISTIC if they knew a union was being organized, and anyone attempting to form would be hammered out the door.

I think if they TOOK A LOOK IN THE MIRROR and saw how they are treating their employees at store level with no paid HOLIDAY days,
WORK WHEN SICK..... OR TAKE VACATION, not even a gift card as a bonus, etc..... they may feel a SPEC of EMPATHY.

I have seen them lose MANY GOOD EMPLOYEES once the lure of a promotion upon being hired wears away. Anyone with brains can see the forest from the trees after a month or so.

Mabey one of the owners will be informed of this and perhaps think and not be OFFENDED or INTIMIDATED by the fact that the employees are HUMAN and its not all about PROFIT and HOW FAST CAN WE OPEN MORE STORES.

Would it bee too much to ask for CHRISTMAS, THANKSGIVING, and a couple of more PAID HOLIDAYS? how about a mere FIVE SICK DAYS, with a reward of pay if not taken?

MABYE a TWENTY FIVE DOLLAR GIFT CARD to be used at the store for christmas?

Geez!

Maybe TWM DOES NEED A UNION ORGANIZER TO WAKE THEM UP

I think the lack of good benefits is only one of many issues, what about the ladders, lifting, dangerous lifts, and lack of safety training. How about the way they treat employees, top management seems to only promote their favorites or hire in from the outside. seem like lots of people quit all the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

How come more total wine employees don't complain, seems like if we all stuck togather we could force them to change. I hear everytime someone disagrees with a Trone they start to get lousy schedules, no raises or get fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

kidding, right?

complain to your manager, you are accused of having a bad attitude

call TWM concern line, you better disguise your voice!

I bet if DT knew of half the problems, DM and SM would get a beating, but they have no balls to speak up, they are all yes men.

Oh and as for the ladders, ours are HORRIBLE! overhead safety is a joke! There is no alloted time for any of that and telling anyone about a bad ladder is speaking into deaf ears.

There is no manager accountability, everyone shifts blame on everyone, again noone has balls enough to tell the owners about any real problems, and us worker bees have no voice.

There are many good people being overlooked because they are not into the political games..... Its going to bite them sooner or later. I heard they lost a good emp. to Wegman's years ago and this will repeat itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe WineGuy in Maryland

65 months ago

I would agree; who would you complain to? It is private company as far as I know so unless there are safety violations, discrimination, or something illegal where you can seek outside help, I am not sure what you can do internally. This site is probably not the best forum. Maybe a blog where people can comment anonymous. This site is anonymous, but this discussion will eventually get cut I would guess. Normally you could vote with your feet, but given the current economic climate, that might not be viable option for most.

If there are really safety issues, they can be reported to OSHA if management is not fixing. You can request OSHA not use your name to protect your job.
www.osha.gov/pls/osha7/eComplaintForm.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Seems like there are plenty of safety issues and questionable practices, does anyone know of other issues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Tons of issues, but with fear for our jobs what are we going to do?

Just got back from using unsafe ladders all day, favoritism and politics in the front office while the "workers" get no slack. Nothing but criticism for us from the managers as they eat in the office joke, and pay no attention to the customer.

My knees ache, my back hurts, yet not one of them will help me saying "it's not my job"...... I thought we were supposed to all pitch in? I also know the ladders that are unsafe are supposed to be taken off the floor. Noone listens. Some day I will take a good dive off a faulty ladder and have a lawsuit. I think if the owners knew what was was REALLY going on, they would have a fit!

I met one of the owners once and he seemed like a real nice guy. It's too mad all the managers put on the fake concern for us when he was there, and once he left it was back to the SOS.

I got a warning for drinking on the floor as I watch one pound down a burger in customer service office which is clearly stated as a violation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

My managers say that the owners do not care about the ladders and they he can not get new ladders, that they cost to much money. I don't believe that they are really nice guys otherwise why would they let everything go on the way it does. I have heard them yelling at my manager and the DM, telling them how stupid they are and how they better fix things. Besides why would we get so many more cases than we need if they cared about our safety, we have cases stacked almost to the ceiling.

I would be careful about that dive, don't forget the cameras!
By the way my manager lets us drink on the floor, just no eating, we have coffee, water, sodas, in fact the cashiers drink to.

I agree if the owners read this and find out who we are we will get fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe public in Atlanta, Georgia

62 months ago

dont even think of working there. no loyalty to employees and they will fire you at will if you dont tow the line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Wino in Berth, Australia

54 months ago

if they fired their own brother (Thomas) and the other (John) left, do you really think they care about the employees? look at "senior" leadership...most, if not all of them rotate in/out every 2-3 years and were previously unemployed or hungry for that glorious VP title that the David and Robert happily hand out. Get this - in the entire history of field management not one DM has ever been promoted past being a DM. All unemployed outside hires lured in to be the next whipping boy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hugh Jackman in washington

53 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Total Wine & More?

What do you like best about working at Total Wine & More? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

How come more total wine employees don't complain, seems like if we all stuck togather we could force them to change. I hear everytime someone disagrees with a Trone they start to get lousy schedules, no raises or get fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Certified Sommelier in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

Host said: What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at Total Wine & More?

My stretch as a Manager there was horrible. I wish someone had warned me. Grueling 12 hour + shifts, back to back, no life, never see your family. Poor pay is sold to you as crud/hr with 10 scheduled weekly overtime hours. Not worth it. Many more jobs were displaced than were created. Other wine retailers closed. Now the profits dont stay in State, they go to the private owners. Horrible for the wine industry, unless your wineries wines are WD. Benefits are a joke, you are expendible. I can't believe more current or previous employees aren't warning people. It's been 2 years since the last comment. Run away and warn your friends!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaya in Woodbridge, Virginia

15 months ago

I totally agree, if it weren't for the fact that I can't find a new job let alone be it full-time, I would have quit long ago.

My Boss is an epic failure, we had a great boss when I came in who started training me immediately for the FETM supervisor position, then they transferred him to a new store, and was a replaced with the epic failure. He doesn't work as hard as our old boss, and he is constantly leaving before his shift ends. When he came in, my training stopped and when asked he never helped me complete my training so I was consequently passed over for it when he hired a "more experienced" employee. Yet he had 4 months to train me and her and he chose her over me. If it were education I wouldn't be so upset but the fact remains is that we both have degree's, she has one in History/art, while I have a Business Management/technology degree. I don't even know what to say to this situation or how to describe it.

Everything that everyone has said prior I totally agree with, but maybe you should add, cutting our 30 min. breaks down to just 15 min "because it's just too busy".... WHAT?? I'm already working a 10.5 hr long shift and all I get is 15 min??

And that ladies and gentlemen is no joke, every other retailer is far better to their employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kaya in Woodbridge, Virginia

15 months ago

We may get paid better that other retailers (or it's the best pay I've had in some time) but I'd be willing to accept a lower pay for better treatment. The only problem I face is finding someone who will give me full-time.

Maybe the reason so many of us don't speak up is the fact that everyone is saying, "But if I do, it'll backfire," or "I'll get fired for saying anything." When I found out about the 10 min breaks besides the 30 min. everyone was shocked because no one had told them or that they hadn't been given a proper employee's manual.

If conditions don't improve, I'll be leaving as will some very good employee's. My other (very good) supervisor has mentioned that when I do leave they'll be losing a lot of good for our store as I'm the only one who does any of the filing, sorting or anything related to paperwork, down to code if not better than to code.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

I hate total wine in Agoura Hills, California

12 months ago

This is absolutely the worst place to work, demeaning managers, long work hours, I was Regularly scheduled ten days straight at over 9 hours a day. The assistant manager at the Thousand Oaks store is so serious about his job and takes it way too seriously. He doesnt listen to any of the employees concerns. I was hired as a so called merchandiser and was asked to scrub toilets. Run dont walk away from this job. I would rather work at McDonalds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.