Comments (251 to 300 of 9643)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

dj75 in London, Ontario

52 months ago

Chris 2001 in Orangeville, Ontario said: applied Dec 5/2009
computer assessment Dec 17/2009
On site test January 5/2009

Nervous as all heck... :)

Hi Chris. I had my computer test Dec.19.2009. Can you tell me when did they contact you for your next step?And did they call you or E-Mail you.
Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tommy Dearman in Barrie, Ontario

52 months ago

Can someone explain the difference between the task and term contract and the re newing contrat???
And how do you know which one you are being offered??

ad in Mississauga, Ontario

52 months ago

hi weldnut,
thank you for all your support you giving us,i am gonna start in paint,can you pl tell me some thing about that.i was reading some of the recent forums about renewing contract.i got scared because i just quit my job ,iwas making 22/hr latley only because i want to work with toyota, can you say something about that.
thanks again

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario

52 months ago

Tommy Dearman in Barrie, Ontario said: Can someone explain the difference between the task and term contract and the re newing contrat???
And how do you know which one you are being offered??

task and term is a specific time period like 6 months or a year. Once you are finished they do not have to call you back. We got another task and term for 1 year and then no call back. 3 months is continually and they will tell you when they make there last call offering you the job.

52 months ago

ad in Mississauga, Ontario said: hi weldnut,
thank you for all your support you giving us,i am gonna start in paint,can you pl tell me some thing about that.i was reading some of the recent forums about renewing contract.i got scared because i just quit my job ,iwas making 22/hr latley only because i want to work with toyota, can you say something about that.
thanks again

i was in drysand which is considered a preferred area. There is spots in paint that arent great but considered better than assembly. Good place to start but may not end up there. they can move you at any time

Bthing in Milton, Ontario

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: i was in drysand which is considered a preferred area. There is spots in paint that arent great but considered better than assembly. Good place to start but may not end up there. they can move you at any time

Is there any full time employment guarantee with task and term or the 3 month contract? Which one is better and how do you know what contract is being offered? I'm offered a 3 month contract but I'm thinking about turning it down as I have a full time job. I just want to be 100 % sure.

52 months ago

that was quick

52 months ago

Bthing in Milton, Ontario said: Is there any full time employment guarantee with task and term or the 3 month contract? Which one is better and how do you know what contract is being offered? I'm offered a 3 month contract but I'm thinking about turning it down as I have a full time job. I just want to be 100 % sure.

3month continual contract is there norm. If you are doing a good job they will keep renewing it. You will get a new contract every 3 months, with no time off inbetween. It can take any amount of time to get full time. Keep your nose clean and no time off and you will be fine. It is hard with no hollidays but that is what you will have to put up with.

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: 3month continual contract is there norm. If you are doing a good job they will keep renewing it. You will get a new contract every 3 months, with no time off inbetween. It can take any amount of time to get full time. Keep your nose clean and no time off and you will be fine. It is hard with no hollidays but that is what you will have to put up with.

I have a bad feeling about excepting this due to the fact that I know Toyota let all the contract people go last Feb 2009. Doesn't matter how hard you work or "keeping your nose clean". Didn't you work there for 2 years and now are reapplying? I don't want to be in that position.

52 months ago

So really they just pick and choose who gets task and term and who gets the renewing? I worked at Honda for a year and a half and all they do is term contracts, I was under the impression that at Toyota you can stay on until there is full time!

52 months ago

How did you apply on the 5th when the online application wasn't available until the 11th??? I was checking every day!

52 months ago

Tommy Dearman in Barrie, Ontario said: So really they just pick and choose who gets task and term and who gets the renewing? I worked at Honda for a year and a half and all they do is term contracts, I was under the impression that at Toyota you can stay on until there is full time!

depending what they need at that time. when i was hired there was a group that banked there hours and were off work for like 2 months at a time so we were replacing them. Once the banked overtime was finished we were gone.They can get rid of any type of contracts whenever they want. You are only there as a buffer. If they get busy and need to hire they set a date and if you fall within that hire date you are in. Just because you are hired by toyota does not mean you are going to be full time.

52 months ago

So you cant just stay a contract until you are offered full time??

52 months ago

Bthing in Milton, Ontario said: I have a bad feeling about excepting this due to the fact that I know Toyota let all the contract people go last Feb 2009. Doesn't matter how hard you work or "keeping your nose clean". Didn't you work there for 2 years and now are reapplying? I don't want to be in that position.

yes i only reapplied to see what would happen. I never thought in a million years that i would get a reply. They seem to be picking up now hopefully no more layoffs. I was really pissed off but nothing i could do. I have no references now as both places have closed so i don't know what will happen. Nothing has changed i have not worked since. Did they tell you where you are going and what side.

nikita13 in guelph, Ontario

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: depending what they need at that time. when i was hired there was a group that banked there hours and were off work for like 2 months at a time so we were replacing them. Once the banked overtime was finished we were gone.They can get rid of any type of contracts whenever they want. You are only there as a buffer. If they get busy and need to hire they set a date and if you fall within that hire date you are in. Just because you are hired by toyota does not mean you are going to be full time.

What was involved in your medical? and where was it performed? Was the medical after you were offered the job, but before the contract signing. Thanks

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: yes i only reapplied to see what would happen. I never thought in a million years that i would get a reply. They seem to be picking up now hopefully no more layoffs. I was really pissed off but nothing i could do. I have no references now as both places have closed so i don't know what will happen. Nothing has changed i have not worked since. Did they tell you where you are going and what side.

I received a call from Toyota stating I could start on the 18th on a 3 month contract. I have to call back tomorrow. I'm going to decline it.

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: yes i only reapplied to see what would happen. I never thought in a million years that i would get a reply. They seem to be picking up now hopefully no more layoffs. I was really pissed off but nothing i could do. I have no references now as both places have closed so i don't know what will happen. Nothing has changed i have not worked since. Did they tell you where you are going and what side.

An article from The Record:
University of Michigan engineering professor Jeffrey Liker, who has written extensively about Toyota, said the company has deliberately used a two-tier employment strategy to cushion its permanent employees from turbulence in the markets.

Its contract workers, he said, are well aware that there are no guarantees once they begin working on contract for the automaker.

"These temporary workers might become (permanent) team members, but they're essentially there on a trial basis, especially with the market at this point."

This isn't the first time Toyota has cut contract workers.

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: depending what they need at that time. when i was hired there was a group that banked there hours and were off work for like 2 months at a time so we were replacing them. Once the banked overtime was finished we were gone.They can get rid of any type of contracts whenever they want. You are only there as a buffer. If they get busy and need to hire they set a date and if you fall within that hire date you are in. Just because you are hired by toyota does not mean you are going to be full time.

So you cant just stay on contract until full time is available??

52 months ago

Tommy Dearman in Barrie, Ontario said: So you cant just stay on contract until full time is available??

It really depends on production demands and there are a small percentage of contract workers that get hired full time. This is the reason why I am not taking the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Bthing in Milton, Ontario said: It really depends on production demands and there are a small percentage of contract workers that get hired full time. This is the reason why I am not taking the job.

where are u working now. I am the same not sure if i want to work there again after what they did. I can honestly say that when i made 14 dollars an hour and enjoyed my job i was alot happier. toyota does not have to hire you just because you are a contract worker. You are treated like a second hand employee especially if you are in a preferred area. I was there and know what it was like. Qc was the worst and i don't blame them as they have been there like 10years and you only hired. That is why they want a union so bad. anyways the hiring process was long at first but now they seem to be moving things faster.

52 months ago

So if the renewing contracts don't necessarily get full time how long do they keep renewing the contracts before your eventually cut you out???????
I was under the impression that you keep getting renewed until there is full time even if it takes 10 years???
Is that not the case? Have I been misinformed?

52 months ago

Tommy Dearman in Barrie, Ontario said: So if the renewing contracts don't necessarily get full time how long do they keep renewing the contracts before your eventually cut you out???????
I was under the impression that you keep getting renewed until there is full time even if it takes 10 years???
Is that not the case? Have I been misinformed?

well the three month contracts are renewable but if there is a downturn in the industry you will be the first to go. It can take 1 year or 5 depending how busy they are. task and term are different but not sure if they offer it now.

Chris 2001 in Orangeville, Ontario

52 months ago

dj75 in London, Ontario said: Hi Chris. I had my computer test Dec.19.2009. Can you tell me when did they contact you for your next step?And did they call you or E-Mail you.
Thank You.

It took about a week and they contacted me by email. Everything has been by email so far.... Hope it helps..

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: that was quick

extremely quick.... I am the only one I know of that got put into the process, let alone flying through it....

52 months ago

Tommy Dearman in Barrie, Ontario said: How did you apply on the 5th when the online application wasn't available until the 11th??? I was checking every day!

Opps, sorry about that, you were right, my mistake. I applied the 14th at 4:30am. Just before I went off to work that day. My apologies. I wrote the dates of the emails rather than the date of the test. Let me clear this up...
applied the 14th
received email on the 15th
did computer test on the 21st
received next email on the 30th
am doing my stage 2 on the 5th

hope that makes sense now...
my apologies again...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

tjm773 in London, Ontario said: Hi...
The following information is from the TMMC website under job openings...

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (TMMC) Production Team Member positions:

The production application process for TMMC (Cambridge and future Woodstock site), is not available at this time. When the production application process becomes available, all candidates must apply through our on-line process only.

Hope this info helps!

when i first applied it took 1 year i am hoping it takes longer than 3 weeks. I am going away and doing my testing on tuesday night. Not sure what i will do if i get through again. The day at toyota was not fun and i was sore the next day. I am in my late 40's but in good shape. It is not a easy day and they did everything then all in one day not separate.

52 months ago

flgirl in Kitchener, Ontario said: well the three month contracts are renewable but if there is a downturn in the industry you will be the first to go. It can take 1 year or 5 depending how busy they are. task and term are different but not sure if they offer it now.

What can take 1 year or 5??

52 months ago

Chris 2001 in Orangeville, Ontario said: Opps, sorry about that, you were right, my mistake. I applied the 14th at 4:30am. Just before I went off to work that day. My apologies. I wrote the dates of the emails rather than the date of the test. Let me clear this up...
applied the 14th

my apologies again...

That is pretty quick I applied the 11th and got an email for the computer test on the 30th. I booked my computer test for Jan 9!!

52 months ago

Chris 2001 in Orangeville, Ontario said: Opps, sorry about that, you were right, my mistake. I applied the 14th at 4:30am. Just before I went off to work that day. My apologies. I wrote the dates of the emails rather than the date of the test. Let me clear this up...
applied the 14th

my apologies again...

Good luck on your testing

Weldnut in Woodstock, Ontario

52 months ago

ad in Mississauga, Ontario said: hi weldnut,
thanks again

i don't have any experience in paint, but i see flgirl replied back. Here's the deal about contracts...I assume everyone they are hiring now are 3 month "regular contract". Basically as long as you are doing your job well and are a good employee then they will keep renewing your contract. You get 10 unpaid call-in days that you can use if you or a family member gets sick. When I was on contract we had a family emergency and I had to leave at midnight, and called in the next 2 days. I did't get in trouble as I told my supervisor what happened. A few months later the group I started with all got hired. I will tell you if you start today with the company on contract it will likely be some time before you get fulltime, likely 2 years +. They just did a fulltime hire before Christmas, and that group started on contract from Sept 08 thru Dec 08. I hope this info helps, and if you have any other questions please ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Bthing in Milton, Ontario said: I have a bad feeling about excepting this due to the fact that I know Toyota let all the contract people go last Feb 2009. Doesn't matter how hard you work or "keeping your nose clean". Didn't you work there for 2 years and now are reapplying? I don't want to be in that position.

They did not let all the contracts go in Feb. There were less than 100 that weren't renewed in the whole company.

52 months ago

Weldnut in Woodstock, Ontario said: i don't have any experience in paint, but i see flgirl replied back. Here's the deal about contracts...I assume everyone they are hiring now are 3 month "regular contract". Basically as long as you are doing your job well and are a good employee then they will keep renewing your contract. You get 10 unpaid call-in days that you can use if you or a family member gets sick. When I was on contract we had a family emergency and I had to leave at midnight, and called in the next 2 days. I did't get in trouble as I told my supervisor what happened. A few months later the group I started with all got hired. I will tell you if you start today with the company on contract it will likely be some time before you get fulltime, likely 2 years +. They just did a fulltime hire before Christmas, and that group started on contract from Sept 08 thru Dec 08. I hope this info helps, and if you have any other questions please ask.

The group that just got fulltime started Sept 07 thru Dec 07, not 2008. Sorry.

52 months ago

Hello to Everyone:
I see a lot of confusion on what the contracts toyota is offering, so I will try to explain plus give some details on what to expect:

Task and Term contracts are usually 6 months with no guarantee of getting another right away. These contracts are brought in for a specific reason (flgirl was hired to cover banked ot, my task and term contract was to cover the other people on my line to be trained on the '09 model corolla/matrix).

I believe the contract hire they are doing now is all 3 month contracts. As I mentioned earlier, as long as you are doing your job well then you will likely be renewed. I have heard now that the contracts are being mailed to you, and in some cases they are coming 2 weeks after the previous one expired.

Contracts get some health benefits (after a probation period), but no dental. Your time on contract does not count towards your pension. You get summer shutdown and Christmas shutdown as time off, but you don't get paid for them (you get vacation pay which helps).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rooz11 in London, Ontario

52 months ago

TRE_ in Niagara, Ontario said: Rooz11, when was your work simulation..?

my work simulation was nov 11th i think...in that ball park anyways

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Fulltime Hire:

As I mentioned earlier, all contracts that are starting now should expect to be on contract for at least 2 years. There were a lot of contracts that started with the company in February thru April of 08. These will be the next to be hired, however that number is so big that they will likely split it up. Historically they did at least 1 fulltime hire a year, however with the economic downturn I am sure the company has adjusted their strategy.

As far as job security goes and the threat of not getting your contract renewed keep this in mind...the vehicles we are producing at the Cambridge & Woodstock plants (Corolla, Matrix, Lexus RX, Rav4) are Toyota's biggest sellers in North America (the corolla was the #1 car sold in the cash for clunkers program in the US). Dealer inventories are low, and production saturdays have already been scheduled for Feb just so they can keep up.

52 months ago

I know you are supposed to get an email or letter if you are no longer in the running...but I am wondering what your staus changes too if you are no longer being considered. My 2 of my references where checked a few weeks ago and no call yet and a bunch of people have been hired in the meantime. I am so nervous I just want to know what is going on

OutragedFool in Princeton, Ontario

52 months ago

How many people did are in that feb to april 08 contract position? Also, doesn't toyota like to keep a certain number of people on contract at all times so they can let them go rather then their full time employees if sales get bad or economy slows? This being said, the hiring that is going on now is to cover the second shift in woodstock. After that would they not have to build a whole new plant in order to ever need more people in the future after this current hiring? if they hire the people from the feb to apr 08 contracts is it not safe to say that the people being hired on contract right now may never get off contract unless something like a new plant or car was to be built in either woodstock or cambridge? Do either one of these plants have the room to support a new model ontop of the ones they have? What amount of people do they keep on contract at all times?
I'm just a little nervous about the whole deal because I am leaving a job with 10 years senority with decent pay, not as much as toyota will pay in the the run. but what good is it if I never get the chance to make that money or have a job with equal security? I'm sure I can do the job, I haven't missed a day of work in 4 years, I'm a hard worker, but I'm not sure this will matter much if they keep me on contract as a so called "buffer" if something were to happen.
I'm just sure they are not going to hire more then the amount of people they need and I'm am also sure they are not going to hire everyone and have no contract workers either. So someone is going to have a full-time contract job and I think it might be the people whom are getting hired right now.
Could you maybe enlighten me on Weldnut if there is any sort of truth to this or if you know what they would do in situation like this?
Thank you

SRAY in Kitchener, Ontario

52 months ago

i had my simulation on Nov 24, interview on Dec 22 and hired on Dec 31. I am starting Jan 18 in the North Plant in paint. Very excited to be working for a great company that cares for their employees. I too hope to get full time but i know it will be a long wait.

SRAY in Kitchener, Ontario

52 months ago

Thanks Weldnut for all your responses. You helped clarify a lot of questions i had along with a lot of other people. It sounds like you like your job and are very happy the way Toyota has been your employer. Thanks in helping me make my decision to join the Toyota team.

smoke74 in Woodstock, Ontario

52 months ago

Got the call today, start January 20th. Got hired in Woodtock in the Material Handling department....yahoo!!!!
Computer Test October 2007
Work Sim December 15/2009
Interview December 30/2009 references called same day

Sign job offer and medical January 15

line mamma in Paris, Ontario

52 months ago

Weldnut in Woodstock, Ontario said: Takt time is basically a cycle time. If takt time is 57 seconds, then every 57 seconds a new car comes off the line, and it is how much time you have to do your tasks on each car. They have everything worked out to the second, so if you screw up on one car (ie - drop a bolt, pick it up may take 5 seconds) then you have to make the time up. And they don't figure in time to take a drink. The best advice I can give is listen to the people who train you online (not in the training center) as they have done the job repeatedly and they can give you tips on how to save yourself some time and work.

Weldnut... lol... You must work there... me too, can always tell employees by the "not enough time to take a drink or blow your nose" comments.

line mamma in Paris, Ontario

52 months ago

Weldnut in Woodstock, Ontario said: They did not let all the contracts go in Feb. There were less than 100 that weren't renewed in the whole company.

Many of them were called back shortly after. If they weren't called back, especially now, then there must of been a reason.

52 months ago

Hey line mamma, yes I work in North Weld. Fun times...

52 months ago

Outraged Fool:
My guess is there are 400 in the Feb-Apr 08 contract hire. Yes, toyota does keep a # of contracts always, but I've heard the main reason is to make sure the areas have enough staff to keep the lines going. They cover fulltimers who go off to special projects, do other offline work, and vacations. Woodstock is not running at capacity, so I would assume that once the second shift gets going then the lines will likely start speeding up (as long as there are sales). I have heard many different scenarios as to what these 3 plants will be producing in the future. The other Corolla plant in North America (NUMMI) is closing in April, so the North plant will likely keep busy for a while. If the Matrix goes the way of the dinosaur, then I have heard North will likely speed up more. The quicker the lines move, the more people they need to build cars. Yes, it is possible that contracts who start now could be on contract for many years. But, as people retire, move to different areas, etc. they will always need people (which is why you see some people on this forum that started the whole "getting hired" process years ago). I have no idea what the ratio of contracts/fulltime there are. I have heard a few figures, but nothing confirmed. I will tell you that in my group there are 19 fulltime and 6 contract. I know I have just said a lot and I hope I have answered your questions. If not, please let me know.

52 months ago

SRAY in Kitchener, Ontario said: Thanks Weldnut for all your responses. You helped clarify a lot of questions i had along with a lot of other people. It sounds like you like your job and are very happy the way Toyota has been your employer. Thanks in helping me make my decision to join the Toyota team.

Thanks SRAY, but I will say that I am not 100% happy the way Toyota does things. I do not agree with the way contracts are treated (ie - unknown amount of time you'll be on contract, no matter how well or poor you work), and I can see that some of our benefits and pension will likely start to be cut soon. The work that we do is hard (no matter what area you work) and I am worried that as people start getting older there is no way they will be able to keep doing what they are doing now. Yes, toyota does have on-site health professionals to help, but they work for the company, not for the employees (although management will make you think the opposite). I am happy with the pay I get, and currently their benefits plan is second to none. Hopefully nothing changes too dramatically in the near future.

52 months ago

Weldnut in Woodstock, Ontario said: Thanks SRAY, but I will say that I am not 100% happy the way Toyota does things. I do not agree with the way contracts are treated (ie - unknown amount of time you'll be on contract, no matter how well or poor you work), and I can see that some of our benefits and pension will likely start to be cut soon. The work that we do is hard (no matter what area you work) and I am worried that as people start getting older there is no way they will be able to keep doing what they are doing now. Yes, toyota does have on-site health professionals to help, but they work for the company, not for the employees (although management will make you think the opposite). I am happy with the pay I get, and currently their benefits plan is second to none. Hopefully nothing changes too dramatically in the near future.

very well put. I am older in late 40's and not sure if i want to go back to doing the shifts again. I will give it a shot. I go tomorrow night for the computer testing. Probably the same one as i did a couple of years ago but we did it all in one day.and yes it is hard on your body no matter what area you are in.

k b84 in Ontario

52 months ago

Hello I just got hired and was told I'll will be in weld. I don't have
any welding experience I am wondering if that matters. Will I get moved because I never welded before ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MaterialGirl in Cambridge, Ontario

52 months ago

Hi Everyone!!!! I start orientation tomorrow (Jan 6th). I was offered the Cambridge plant or Woodstock and eventhough I live 5 mins from the Cambridge plant, I picked Woodstock. Weldnut, I was just wondering if you know what someone would be doing working in Materials? Is that material handling (ie, tow motor?)

52 months ago

I am losing my mind....my 2 of my 3 references were checked on dec 18 and I have not got a call. Everyone keeps saying be patient but I keep seeing all these people interview after me and all their refences get contacted and they get a job offer. I have not got a letter but I still feel very uneasy about this....anyone else in the same boat as me and other clues like status that might say if I am still good or not.

OutragedFool in Princeton, Ontario

52 months ago

Thanks for the replies Weldnut. You are a big help to the people on this forum, have been a great help to me. I appreciate it very much.

I am accually considering not taking the job, alot of people might call me an idiot, but I gotta do whats best for me and my family and I think deep down I really don't want to leave my current job or I'd probably be less stressed about doing so. Short term, Staying where I am would be my best bet because I make more now then what i'd be starting at here along with 8% holiday pay. Long term Toyota would probably be the better choice because I can't make $34/hr where I work now, along with the pension that comes with toyota. Being on contract for a possible 3+ years seems like alot of time to work just to get hired and start gaining senority and vacation time etc. By the time I even get a year as a fulltime employee I could be sitting at 15 years at my current job with 10% vacation at the age of 32, not many people could say they have the kind of time in a company at that age, talk about security.
I almost wish I made less or had no job at all. This decision would not be hard at all. When I applied back in 06 I woulda taken this job in a heart beat.
I kinda feel like a dick to, cuz my most stressful decision in life right now is "do I take a very well paying job? or stay at the well paying job I already have?" when alot people don't even have jobs.
On a lighter note, Congrats to everyone who has gotten hired or is in the process, it is a great opportunity for most people and will change alot of your lives in a great way and good look, I hope it works out for you all. Thanks for reading my stressed out post...lol

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.