How to get a job at Transportation Security Administration.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 87)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you work at Transportation Security Administration? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Anjanica Anderson in Mount Pleasant, North Carolina

92 months ago

How do I get a TSA job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Gregg57 in Downey, California

91 months ago

I went to a job fair in the DC area last week. They told me that TSA only hires part-time screeners and that ALL full-time screeners and other jobs are filled internally.

I was looking for a tech writing position with them, since I have tons of airline experience. They offered no hope.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bevbrooks in Sykesville, Maryland

91 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Transportation Security Administration? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

I am a former TSA employee who's position was eliminated (admin office) on 9/30/06 after 4 years of employment. Screener positions are safer than Admin positions. I would access the usajobs.gov website and select your state/city. All the federal jobs in your area are posted to this website. You HAVE to apply on-line. If you are selected to move further, the TSA recruitment center will either email you or contact you by phone to move to the next step. If you are still interested, you will go to a location assigned by them in your area and take two computer tests (this will take approx. 1-1/2 hours). IF you pass these tests, the recruitment center generally lets you know immediately by email. Your next email will be a confirmation link that you wish to go further and accept a contingency offer. If you accept, it may take some time, but TSA HRServices (Arlington, VA)will contact you to set up an interview at your airport). An extensive background is done and once all of that is completed, you will go away to school (near your location) and train for approximately 10 days. All in all, the whole process can take up to 3 months. If you are a female, you will have a greater chance of getting on than a male. I understand (for the most part) you will automatically start part-time), but depending on the size of your aiport and turnover, it may not take long to become full-time. The hourly rate is good ($12.50+) in this area (Roanoke, VA), you will accrue annual leave time and sick leave time immediately and can also apply for Federal benefits (which are REALLY good). Pls. let me know if you have any further questions, and I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (211) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

Anjanica Anderson said: How do I get a TSA job?

I am a former TSA employee who's position was eliminated (admin office) on 9/30/06 after 4 years of employment. Screener positions are safer than Admin positions. I would access the usajobs.gov website and select your state/city. All the federal jobs in your area are posted to this website. You HAVE to apply on-line. If you are selected to move further, the TSA recruitment center will either email you or contact you by phone to move to the next step. If you are still interested, you will go to a location assigned by them in your area and take two computer tests (this will take approx. 1-1/2 hours). IF you pass these tests, the recruitment center generally lets you know immediately by email. Your next email will be a confirmation link that you wish to go further and accept a contingency offer. If you accept, it may take some time, but TSA HRServices (Arlington, VA)will contact you to set up an interview at your airport). An extensive background is done and once all of that is completed, you will go away to school (near your location) and train for approximately 10 days. All in all, the whole process can take up to 3 months. If you are a female, you will have a greater chance of getting on than a male. I understand (for the most part) you will automatically start part-time), but depending on the size of your aiport and turnover, it may not take long to become full-time. The hourly rate is good ($12.50+) in this area (Roanoke, VA), you will accrue annual leave time and sick leave time immediately and can also apply for Federal benefits (which are REALLY good). Pls. let me know if you have any further questions, and I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

91 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

david in Milford, Connecticut

87 months ago

I'll be taking the enterance exam. Does anyone know if there is any material I can study to get ready.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (379) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Jacksonville, Florida

87 months ago

david in Milford, Connecticut said: I'll be taking the enterance exam. Does anyone know if there is any material I can study to get ready.

David, has anyone replied back to you about your question? or have you found out if there is any study material? Because I am all so taking the 2 hour computer test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Chicago, Illinois

85 months ago

Kristina in Jacksonville, Florida said: David, has anyone replied back to you about your question? or have you found out if there is any study material? Because I am all so taking the 2 hour computer test.

I don't know if there is any study material. I took the test and its really general common sense questions. Some grammer and english, but mostly xrays for you to find hiddin objects.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Hudson, Maine

85 months ago

If your and exray tech you should do fine. I,m not so I failed it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Abdul Muhammad in Melvindale, Michigan

85 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Transportation Security Administration? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

You will check your credit record then you say are might stealing. I am try of debts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Diana Ross in Brooklyn, New York

84 months ago

Dont do it,its bull you know the rest.Again there is no real job security.Tsa doesnt have a universal union some airports have it some dont.JFK in nyc has o union but Laquardia in nyc doesnt which is insane.Its very easy to lose your job,you will be on probation for two years.Every so often you will have to take tests to keep your job and quizzes also.You will have to keep being recertified every year to keep your job.Ask your self is it worth it for $14.oo per hour.Basically its at will employment for two years they can come to you and say we know longer need your services and thats it your gone.Dont waste your time on this,go to college get a good job.I wish i didnt waste three years of my life working for the.If you can take any job that comes along,youll thank me later.Tsa is to mush aggravation and stress for a little bit of money.Its the bottom of the heap as far as government jobs are concerned.I mean think about what other government agency isnt unionized,even the post office has union's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Purcell, Oklahoma

84 months ago

Thanks for the infor. It was so nice of you to take the time to fill us in.

bevbrooks in Sykesville, Maryland said: I am a former TSA employee who's position was eliminated (admin office) on 9/30/06 after 4 years of employment. Screener positions are safer than Admin positions. I would access the usajobs.gov website and select your state/city. All the federal jobs in your area are posted to this website. You HAVE to apply on-line. If you are selected to move further, the TSA recruitment center will either email you or contact you by phone to move to the next step. If you are still interested, you will go to a location assigned by them in your area and take two computer tests (this will take approx. 1-1/2 hours). IF you pass these tests, the recruitment center generally lets you know immediately by email. Your next email will be a confirmation link that you wish to go further and accept a contingency offer. If you accept, it may take some time, but TSA HRServices (Arlington, VA)will contact you to set up an interview at your airport). An extensive background is done and once all of that is completed, you will go away to school (near your location) and train for approximately 10 days. All in all, the whole process can take up to 3 months. If you are a female, you will have a greater chance of getting on than a male. I understand (for the most part) you will automatically start part-time), but depending on the size of your aiport and turnover, it may not take long to become full-time. The hourly rate is good ($12.50+) in this area (Roanoke, VA), you will accrue annual leave time and sick leave time immediately and can also apply for Federal benefits (which are REALLY good). Pls. let me know if you have any further questions, and I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

connie

82 months ago

help...i failed the tsa test and don't know why...is there any way to find out...i think it was the xray part....any advice...for the most part i could not see many of the objects...is this an eye thing or color...any advice appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (164) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

connie

81 months ago

thanks for your comment....too bad i don't know what it means

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Abdul Muhammad in Melvindale, Michigan

81 months ago

I on test my eyes was so blurry I could not see on the computer. I should took a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

mut ruey in Lincoln, Nebraska

80 months ago

what kind of computer test its is it odernary computer test or what is it. give some thought and how could get a better score on the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

BOB M in Can, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Anjanica Anderson in Mount Pleasant, North Carolina said: How do I get a TSA job?

in the boston, ma area they are hiring there is a computer test
all ladies leave your purses an everyone leave cell phones home
no cell phones allowed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

bevbrooks in Sykesville, Maryland said: I am a former TSA employee who's position was eliminated (admin office) on 9/30/06 after 4 years of employment. Screener positions are safer than Admin positions. I would access the usajobs.gov website and select your state/city. All the federal jobs in your area are posted to this website. You HAVE to apply on-line. If you are selected to move further, the TSA recruitment center will either email you or contact you by phone to move to the next step. If you are still interested, you will go to a location assigned by them in your area and take two computer tests (this will take approx. 1-1/2 hours). IF you pass these tests, the recruitment center generally lets you know immediately by email. Your next email will be a confirmation link that you wish to go further and accept a contingency offer. If you accept, it may take some time, but TSA HRServices (Arlington, VA)will contact you to set up an interview at your airport). An extensive background is done and once all of that is completed, you will go away to school (near your location) and train for approximately 10 days. All in all, the whole process can take up to 3 months. If you are a female, you will have a greater chance of getting on than a male. I understand (for the most part) you will automatically start part-time), but depending on the size of your aiport and turnover, it may not take long to become full-time. The hourly rate is good ($12.50+) in this area (Roanoke, VA), you will accrue annual leave time and sick leave time immediately and can also apply for Federal benefits (which are REALLY good). Pls. let me know if you have any further questions, and I hope this helps!

in boston over 14.00 hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

BOB M in Can, Massachusetts said: in the boston, ma area they are hiring there is a computer test
all ladies leave your purses an everyone leave cell phones home
no cell phones allowed

DO not take your purse or cell into the exam area they will send you home immediately

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

in boston they are hiring do not take cell phone in exam room . they will throw out you phone and send you packing home
bob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

" what is test like"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

what do they ask you on the computer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

BOB M in Can, Massachusetts said: in boston they are hiring do not take cell phone in exam room . they will throw out you phone and send you packing home
bob

Do not take pens cell phones or pencils
in the test on computer disc or notes pads

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Gregg57 in Downey, California said: I went to a job fair in the DC area last week. They told me that TSA only hires part-time screeners and that ALL full-time screeners and other jobs are filled internally.

I was looking for a tech writing position with them, since I have tons of airline experience. They offered no hope.

THEY want to get rit of all full timers .I believe THEY WANT TO BRING IN MORE COMPUTERS TO DO THE WORK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Rachel in Chicago, Illinois said: I don't know if there is any study material. I took the test and its really general common sense questions. Some grammer and english, but mostly xrays for you to find hiddin objects.

do they give you a iq test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Diana Ross in Brooklyn, New York said: Dont do it,its bull you know the rest.Again there is no real job security.Tsa doesnt have a universal union some airports have it some dont.JFK in nyc has o union but Laquardia in nyc doesnt which is insane.Its very easy to lose your job,you will be on probation for two years.Every so often you will have to take tests to keep your job and quizzes also.You will have to keep being recertified every year to keep your job.Ask your self is it worth it for $14.oo per hour.Basically its at will employment for two years they can come to you and say we know longer need your services and thats it your gone.Dont waste your time on this,go to college get a good job.I wish i didnt waste three years of my life working for the.If you can take any job that comes along,youll thank me later.Tsa is to mush aggravation and stress for a little bit of money.Its the bottom of the heap as far as government jobs are concerned.I mean think about what other government agency isnt unionized,even the post office has union's.

thank YOU BOSTON, MA i AM TAKING TEST IN BOSTON AT
99 BEDFORD STREET 1-24- 08

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

david in Milford, Connecticut said: I'll be taking the enterance exam. Does anyone know if there is any material I can study to get ready.

DID YOU PASS BOSTON
BOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

mut ruey in Lincoln, Nebraska said: what kind of computer test its is it odernary computer test or what is it. give some thought and how could get a better score on the test.

BE SURE DO NOT TAKE A CELL PHONE IN THERE AND NO PURSES FOR LADIES NO NO NO NO NO NO
NO NO NO NO NO

BACK PACKS ALLOWED IN THE TESTING AREA

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO KNOW THE COMPUTER > I THINK IS MOSTLY IF YOU CAN SEE THE OBJECTS THAT THEY ARE SCREENING LIKE WIRES AND A GUN ON THE

COMPUTER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

mut ruey in Lincoln, Nebraska said: what kind of computer test its is it odernary computer test or what is it. give some thought and how could get a better score on the test.

BE SURE DO NOT TAKE A CELL PHONE IN THERE AND NO PURSES FOR LADIES NO NO NO NO NO NO
NO NO NO NO NO

BACK PACKS ALLOWED IN THE TESTING AREA

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO KNOW THE COMPUTER > I THINK IS MOSTLY IF YOU CAN SEE THE OBJECTS THAT THEY ARE SCREENING LIKE WIRES AND A GUN ON THE

COMPUTER

CANTON, MA BOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

BOB M in Can, Massachusetts said: DEAR EVERYONE SEE‏
From: Transportation Security Administration (Transportation_Security_Administration@invalidemail.com)

(
Security scan upon download
Micro ® logo
Attachments: current_e...htm (14.8 KB)

Thank you again for expressing interest in the 1802-Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Screener)-BOS008 position with the Transportation Security Administration.

You have met the eligibility requirements stated in the vacancy announcement; therefore, you are invited to take a two and one half (2 1/2) hour computerized test as the next phase of the evaluation process. You are encouraged to schedule for the computerized test as soon as possible. Two options are available to select a computerized test center location and schedule a date and time:

1) Using the following URL, tsatesting.net/schedule , you can search for a test center location, obtain contact information for that test center and/or schedule a test session online.

2) Contact the TSA Recruitment Center at 1-800-887-1895 or TTY 1-800-887-5506, and a TSA Recruitment Center representative will be available to schedule you at a test center.

If you require special accommodations, you may download the appropriate forms at tsacareers.taleo.net/accommodation/ , or you may call the TSA Recruitment Center at 1-800-887-1895 or TTY 1-800-887-5506.

You need to arrive at the test facility 15 minutes prior to your appointment. If you arrive late, you will be required to sign a Late Waiver and the amount of late time will be deducted from your session. This may result in you not being able to answer all questions, which may in turn affect your test results.

Upon arrival at the facility, you will be required to present two forms of valid identification issued by a State government or the U.S Federal government. One ID must bear both a photograph of you and a signature. Your identif

BRING PROPER ID

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

see Information BELOW :
DO NOT BRING IN YOUR PURSE OR YOU CELL PHONE OR
BACK PACK****************
COLUMN A (Acceptable Photo ID)
U.S. Military ID **
U.S. Passport
Driver's license
State identification card

COLUMN B (Acceptable 2nd
Social Security Card
Birth Certificate
Certificate of Naturalization
BOB , CANTON, MA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

SEE Information BELOW :
DO NOT BRING IN YOUR PURSE OR YOUR CELL PHONE OR
BACK PACK INTO TEST AREA (YOU WILL BE SENT HOME
U.S. Military ID **
U.S. Passport
Driver's license

COLUMN B (Acceptable 2nd
Social Security Card
Birth Certificate
BOB , CANTON, MA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

SEE Information BELOW :
DO NOT BRING IN YOUR PURSE OR YOUR CELL PHONE OR
BACK PACK INTO TEST AREA (YOU WILL BE SENT HOME
U.S. Military ID **
U.S. Passport
Driver's license

COLUMN B (Acceptable 2nd
Social Security Card
Birth Certificate
BOB , CANTON, MA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mary ann harper in dewitt, Michigan

78 months ago

I am scheduled for the tsa computer test and would like an idea of its content

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Kristina in Jacksonville, Florida said: David, has anyone replied back to you about your question? or have you found out if there is any study material? Because I am all so taking the 2 hour computer test.

I am also taking the test and would like to know what to expect and if there is a sample test

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BOB M in Canton, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Dear potential employee I took the screening test, no computer experience require. I flunk > I thought the screening teat was hard .
you have 15 second to 20 seconds to pick out glasses or pens or pencils , a cup, stick or cane. the test take about 2 hours .
put your cell phone away it is not allowed . its hard test

good luck to you
bob canton, ma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Dear potential employee I took the screening test, no computer experience require. I flunk > I thought the screening teat was hard .
you have 15 second to 20 seconds to pick out glasses or pens or pencils , a cup, stick or cane. the test take about 2 hours .
put your cell phone away it is not allowed . its hard test

good luck to you
bob canton, ma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

you have 15 second to 20 seconds to pick out glasses or pens or pencils , a cup, stick or cane. The test take about 2.5 hours .
Put your cell phone away it is not allowed . its a hard test.
No pocketbooks allowed for woman . the person at the desk might hold your belongs

good luck to you
bob canton, ma

Rachel W in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

mary ann harper in dewitt, Michigan said: I am also taking the test and would like to know what to expect and if there is a sample test

No there is no study material. Every thing you learn or is tought to you is considered SSI information.(Cant be talked about or practiced) Goverment Info! If you pass the computerized test and are cleared with your Goverment backround check, includes credit. You then are sent to school for 2 weeks full time or 4 weeks part time. Everything you retain in class stays there and in your memory bank. You can't take anything home to study with are not allowed to talk about what you learned. If you pass a series of 2 learning tests and an extensive xray test you start your OJT. (On the job training.)Now they tell you it takes about 2-3 weeks. It takes about6-8 weeks. Then you take a final Xray test to become certified. Now there's always SOP tests (Standered operating proceders), OlC (Online learning center) that you have to benchmark, and all the rules and proceder changes that seem to happen daily. They are always switching it up! It's a hell of alot for 14.00 an hour!! Not to mention back breaking work and being underappriciated! I don't know, think really hard before you start this Also there is no job security. You are on 2 years probation and there is no union! I do it but im trying to move up to customs. Good luck to ya!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Dear Rachel W,
I can not believe all the work you said there is. I took the computer teat and did not to well. The test was on THE COMPUTER, that screening test.
THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU
BOB M ( CANTON, MA )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Oh believe it. What I say is the truth!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

what if you have bad credit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

mary ann harper in dewitt, Michigan said: what if you have bad credit?

DEAR MARY,
I DO NOT THINK THEY WILL NOT EXCEPT YOU .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

mary ann harper in dewitt, Michigan said: what if you have bad credit?

Mary, You can't owe more than $5000 and you can't owe any money to the Federal Goverment or State. You cant owe any Childsupport either. Good Luck Rachel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Sorenson in Ogden, Utah

77 months ago

hey how did you get into customs job ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Dear Jeff,
I wanted to work for TSA BUT I DID NOT TO GOOD ON THE COMPUTER ( SCREENING TEST ) LOOKING FOR OBJECTS ON THE SCREEN OF THE COMPUTER THEY STAY ON FOR ABOUT 10- 15 SECONDS.

77 months ago

mary ann harper in dewitt, Michigan said: thanks!

DEAR MARY,
I GUESS i WAS WRONG
BOB M

I DO NOT THINK THEY WILL NOT EXCEPT YOU .

Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

mary ann harper in dewitt, Michigan said: thanks!

DEAR MARY ,
HOW DID THE TEST GO.
BOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.