U-Haul Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at U-Haul?

What do you like best about working at U-Haul? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Phoenix, Arizona

89 months ago

They start you out at $7 an hour and you make bonuses on what to rent out for them. I didn't take this job because of the pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

gollom in Mesa, Arizona

89 months ago

Thank you for your timely response to the question regarding pay and benefits. I had recently applied for a manager positon but am seriously recapituating my decision based on your experience. It doesn't seem worth the effort. Thank you for taking the time to offer your supported opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

N/a in Belleville, Michigan

88 months ago

I hate uhaul it's the worst company in america it is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

N/a in Belleville, Michigan

88 months ago

Michigan Market for U-haul Stay Away really!!!!!!!!!

It's as bad as working for penny's well penny's is what U-haul Pays this business should not be in business Trucks are unsafe,bigshot bosses are bad and I mean bad bad bad bad bad do not waste your time with this company, it is a waste of time don't even send a resume a waste of time, don't even look for jobs the pay is bad and also they will only start you out parttime anyway good luck getting fulltime unless your a manager michigan market makes from 10 dollars on hour for G.M. in some store 10 dollars? wow and than Bigger store make from 32,000 to 40,000 a year what ever if your a manger they will mybe if your lucky keep you for a few months before you get fired... so goodluck wasting your time with this company I learned the hard way ... lesson learned....

GOOD BYE UHAUL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

R.S. in Ripon, California

88 months ago

And if your lucky enough to get a bonus they hit your budget the month for what ever your bonus was so you pay your self to work harder and more hours and if some how u make to the next year you have to beat last year number as part of your bonus so here you go again working more hours because you have less money to spend on payroll they do know how to work this SCAMMM real well STAY AWAY FROM U-HAUL AT ALL COST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jay Golden in Omaha, Nebraska

88 months ago

Well I was a canter manager and had to fire just about my whole crew when I started. AS any manager you are only as good as your team. I have worked for many companies in my life. I know people that love U-Haul and have been there 20+ years. It depends on the market your in. It is a strong solid company with good benifits and stock options. At least you know each weel the pay check will be there and if you do a decent job and show your trying you could retire there. There is room for advancement as well. You can transfer to anywhere in the country if you move. I worked my way up to be an area Field Manager and thought I could do better and all. I left after 7 years with the compnay. Yes there are times when as a manager you have to work 60+ hours a week. Any retail manager at any company will tell you the same. If your man is out sick thats no fault of the man or the company but as a manager you are expected to open the store. You also get to go home early and come in late if there is nothing going on and you have a good team you hired and trained. As far as bonuses go they are no different than anyone else. Jump through this hoop, spin 3 times and throw a dart. Maybe you will get a bonus. A good manager also knows how to work that system and gets his bonus. I have received bonuses from every position I have held at uhaul. Just a few weeks ago i found out that a person who started washing trucks at a center 12 years ago is now what is called MCP. So anything is possible. I am attempting to go back because as I found that the grass is only greener for a few years then the company folded. U-Haul i never had to go to bed wondering if my paychech was going to bounce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

R.S. in Salida, California

88 months ago

You do have a point you don't have to wonder if your paycheck will bounce because it will not you just have to wonder if you will have a job tomorrow benifits thats a joke they make you whate 6mo. before you can recive them i guess they figure you would have quit or been fired before then when i went to work for uhual it was'it for the money they paid I had already started and bulit my own business for the last 20 years then sold it and retired started to travel around world with my wife and just do think we never had time to do just enjoy life then i got bored i was only in my mid 40 in need of something to do didn't want to start another company so here i go to work for uhaul not knowing much about them i get hired as a general manager and take over the biggest center in are area you need at lest 12 empolyee min. to run this center first day my MCP come in and hands me a folder and said fire these ones and write up the rest have it back to me by tomorrow your the field manager will be here for the next two weeks to help you out so he left the F/M stayed about two hours and then left and didn't come back till next week so here i go with a staff at 1/3 of what it should be but i did make it thru center made a profit in first month something that center had not been able to do in a long time you made a good point your only as good as your staff i do belive that very much when i did finaly get a great staff on board the center took off making some great number and are MCP had hired a good staff of manager to work for him are area was put up good number betting all other area around us so what went wrong no madder how good your number were corp. office would still try find something wrong and put you down bonuses i made them you just need to figure out how to work the number in your favor in my company it was very simply i would tell my div. manager here are the number your div. need to make for a bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

R.S. in Salida, California

88 months ago

Contine
There was no jumping thru hoops spining around and throwing darts and hope you made it just meet the number you got it and there no loalty at uhaul unless your a butt kisser my first MCP work his way up from a washing trucks to MCP of are area for 15 years and he was no B/K then came along a B/K to ADVP he was general manager in are area his center number were alway at the bottom of are area we had 11 center but ADVP like him so when he gave his 2 week notice the ADVP moved him to another area to manager the repair garage and gave a new truck and then not 2 month latter are ADVP comes to town and removes are MCP and guest what he bring back the manager from the repair garage and makes him are new MCP and now he gets a new tahoe for his job so 6 month latter he say this job is to much work so he gives 2 week notice again and guest what are ADVP does he create a new postion for him and hires a new MCP only thing is he does not get to keep him new tahoe he has to go back to the truck and all this in a year time so you want to tell me how good uhaul is to work for after i seen what they did to someone that work his way up for 15 years and do all that stuff for someone that was with the company less than a year you tell who was a B/K so yes you can go to bed at night not having to wonder about your paycheck not being there but you do have to wonder about if you have a job when you get there i have since left uhaul and retired again and i do think it will be the last time because i never want see the stuff goes on at uhaul again even though i don't think there could be another company that teats it employee as bad as uhaul does JUST STAY AWAY FROM UHAUL and rent from PENSKE OR BUDGET IF YOU CAN because there cust. service is hole nother topic for other day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Gibran in Phoenix, Arizona

88 months ago

Well i have an interview there. You guys are scaring a brotha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

What job are interviewing for if you get the job you better have thick skin because they will try to beat you down good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Hey Gibran don't ever put your self down for been Mexican be proud of your race it's who you are not what you are I to am Mexican and we had 11 center and 8 of the general manager were mexican and are boss was mexican also as you can read from my story above that i started and ran my own business for 20 years and am retire now in my mid fourty so you can do it to anybody can it's take hard work and beleaving in your self good luck to and don't ever stop trying or beleaving your self

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Gibran in Phoenix, Arizona

88 months ago

I did not go to interview. I applied else where and hope to get other interviews.
My friend was not hired at U-Haul because of that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

You are the only lucky one!!

86 months ago

Well buddy...you are the exception..not the rule. Look around you...GM's and CSR's canned at the drop of a hat. I could have been an AFM too...if I wanted to kiss the MCP's rear-end. Forget U-Haul. I learned my lesson all toO well and I WILL tell EVERYONE I KNOW TO NEVER RENT FROM U-HAUL OR TO WORK FOR U-HAUL. You must be a BIG WHEEL in your MCO. When the ax-man (aka-MCP) comes for you...hope unemployment helps out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

You are the only lucky one!! said: Well buddy...you are the exception..not the rule. Look around you...GM's and CSR's canned at the drop of a hat. I could have been an AFM too...if I wanted to kiss the MCP's rear-end. Forget U-Haul. I learned my lesson all toO well and I WILL tell EVERYONE I KNOW TO NEVER RENT FROM U-HAUL OR TO WORK FOR U-HAUL. You must be a BIG WHEEL in your MCO. When the ax-man (aka-MCP) comes for you...hope unemployment helps out!

Who are you referring to as a butt kiss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

see below

86 months ago

R.S. in Ripon, California said: Who are you referring to as a butt kiss

If you been there...you know who they are...the few that try to overly demonstrate both cruelty and undue pressure to both GM's and crew members just to get on the boss's good side...at any level of the organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Elmer Fudd

85 months ago

R.S. in Ripon, California said: Who are you referring to as a butt kiss

DUH???? I GWESS YOU LIKE WORKING FOR A BUNCH OF WASKAL WABBITS! WOCAL TWUCKS...FOR NINETEEN BUCKS...STWAP KISSING ME YOU CWAZY WABBIT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lrod007 in Mesa, Arizona

84 months ago

I applied for roofing project manager I havent heard anything but the job sounded good. can anyone give me some advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Chase in Tempe, Arizona

83 months ago

Does anyone have experience working for U-haul's corporate headquarters? I'm looking at a position in marketing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous Uhaul in Bristol, Virginia

83 months ago

I enjoyed your response about your experience as an employee of U-Haul and wanted to say a word about it. I too work for U-Haul and having read all of these posts, I must say that I agreed with you on many points but thought a couple of others needed to be made, not only for those on here but maybe for someone still with U-Haul. No, the grass is not greener and yes U-Haul does have problems but as with other companies it is usually a problem with a person or group of people and not a problem with the whole company. I read all the hate blogs about U-Haul and many of them can be attributed to folks who try to equate a constantly moving product with other products that are stationary or sit on a shelf and this is their major misunderstanding. Another major fault that U-Haul has is the massive authority of the MCP and the lack of oversight for that position. If a certain MCP makes lots of money for the company and keeps certain numbers up then there is no oversight because the ADVP is going to spend time where the problems are more noticable. According to policy the MCP should spend no more than 6 hours a week at his/her office and the rest of the time out in centers or with AFM's. The MCP can breed an attitude of teamwork and pride in what his/her company does and can make sure everyone from senior management of the company to the most rural dealer knows that this is a priority, or he/she can foster an attitude that causes moral to be low and makes the dealers feel unwanted. I know of instances of nepotism, mis-management of dealers and the equipment they struggle to rent, and firings of great employee's from some of these second type of MCP but I also know of really great MCP's who are a credit to the corporation. U-Haul is a great company to work for but as with any other company if you work under a person that is determined to consider only themselves and considers anyone else expendable(and has the power to fire), then things are harder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Steven Wirth in Jacksonville, Florida

59 months ago

Well first I would like to say I work for U-Haul and as with any job it is what you make of it, but the oppertunities are endless, the pay I feel is fair, we always want more. Bonus are with in reach, and this jive about payroll above, you have to manage it from the first day of the month, just like everything else, if you do your job, you will have a job tomorrow, Benisfits are available from day 1 of employment, they aren't as good as the ones you canb get at 6 months, they even have beni's for part time people, but like I said with any job, it is what you put into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

firttimer25 in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

56 months ago

I as well work for the company. I have worked for 7 years at this great company. Like many of the ignorant answers above I too once believed that the "company" was evil and did not care. This is not the case at all, as I have gotten older and accepted many managment positions in the company I have learned that these are just whinny little kids, poor managers, and immature adults that complain. This company is fair but firm. You get out what you put in, if like most of america, you expect alot from little of your own work. Why? Pay is low because YOU DONT DO MUCH! Think about it, you get payed ABOVE! minimum wage and you SIT ON YOUR ASS talking about how much you work. If you think I'm wrong challenge me. Give me an example of ONE day you spent working your ass off. It hasnt happened, I have been here 7 years, worked in many departments and has seen much of the company. Simply ignorant views and comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jack in Las Vegas, Nevada

42 months ago

firttimer25 in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: I as well work for the company. I have worked for 7 years at this great company. Like many of the ignorant answers above I too once believed that the "company" was evil and did not care. This is not the case at all, as I have gotten older and accepted many managment positions in the company I have learned that these are just whinny little kids, poor managers, and immature adults that complain. This company is fair but firm. You get out what you put in, if like most of america, you expect alot from little of your own work. Why? Pay is low because YOU DONT DO MUCH! Think about it, you get payed ABOVE! minimum wage and you SIT ON YOUR ASS talking about how much you work. If you think I'm wrong challenge me. Give me an example of ONE day you spent working your ass off. It hasnt happened, I have been here 7 years, worked in many departments and has seen much of the company. Simply ignorant views and comments.

I like your argument, but I have a comment: I don't know that it's necessarily the pay that people dislike but the hours that go into earning it. If managers really do make 40k per year for 60-hour weeks, then isn't that just like earning a straight $13 (roughly) per hour? That's not really a lot of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roger R in Manassas, Virginia

41 months ago

I came across this site while looking into a matter that had me curious about U-Haul. Something I noticed was that ALL (except for AK, HI, and a few franchised stores) U-Haul vehicles are registered and tagged in Arizona. A search found this info,

"Arizona’s registration fee is $8, although a weight and commercial fee would apply to U-Haul vehicles. But, here’s the best part, directly from the Arizona Department of Transportation, “The [Vehicle License Tax] is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer’s base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona.” So, after a number of years, the license tax is almost negligible!
It might seem shady for U-Haul to register all their vehicles in Arizona, but it’s actually 100% legal and not shady at all. The vehicles are registered with the International Registration Plan (IRP), which means that the plates don’t expire and instead they pay fees to the States and Provinces in which the vehicles are driven."

They're correct, it does seem shady, and even though it's legal according to laws passed to please business, who more than likely lobbied the hell out of the politicians (paid them off) that doesn't make it right. Wonder how much the fees are that they pay to the States and Provinces they're vehicles are driven in? Somehow I'd be willing to bet it's beneficial to them, and I'm not just singling out U-Haul in that statement. Sadly those wonderful laws don't apply to everyday people. I could own a house in a tax friendly state like Oregon or Alaska, buy another house in a high tax state like Nevada but within a certain amount of time I'd have to register and tag any vehicle based there. Individuals don't have the same ability to skirt the tax man and rightfully no one, or company should either. Fair is fair, you pay where you play.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roger R in Manassas, Virginia

41 months ago

If a lot of the business practices mentioned above are true, and in todays business world there's probably no doubt they are, it doesn't look good. Certainly there are situations where people are to blame for their own actions but when someone is putting in the time and doing their job and still being denied bonuses that they should get, that is wrong! Unfortunately that is what our business world has become, greed mongers with no integrity whatsoever. That all points to one thing, the stock market. The stock market and all the people who make it up pretty much control the business world and for the most part they have no idea what most of the businesses operations are, and could care less, they're just looking at dollars and cents. If a company made this much money this month they should make that much next month, if not, we'll send the investment money we handle over to that other company and no more for them. Playing one against the other so they're just cutting cost left and right with no regards or rational reasoning whatsoever, just keep that investment money coming in.

To the people defending the negative business actions, how far up the ladder does responsibility go? Pay is low but above minimum wage, because you don't do anything? Do the regional and district managers work that much harder than the store managers? How about even higher up the ladder? Is minimum wage the determining factor on how much a person earns? How many people seriously believe they can or could survive on minimum wage? It's a business friendly joke at best and what determines it's set point? Certainly not cost of living. The minimum wage represents working poor, people having to work multiple jobs a day and night just to keep their heads above water, no decent standard of living. Then you turn on the idiot box (TV) and see some clown making a fortune just shooting off their mouth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jillian Faith in Los Angeles, California

38 months ago

Steven Wirth in Jacksonville, Florida said: Well first I would like to say I work for U-Haul and as with any job it is what you make of it, but the oppertunities are endless, the pay I feel is fair, we always want more. Bonus are with in reach, and this jive about payroll above, you have to manage it from the first day of the month, just like everything else, if you do your job, you will have a job tomorrow, Benisfits are available from day 1 of employment, they aren't as good as the ones you canb get at 6 months, they even have beni's for part time people, but like I said with any job, it is what you put into it.

I agree with you. It is what you make of it. I just accepted a position as a Store Manager and I don't start until July 5th, but I was a Military Recruiter for quite a while so I am sure I can handle Uhaul. Most people don't understand values of hard work and act as if the world owes them something. A company that wants to be successful won't fire people for no reason (This will just make them lose money because they have to continuously hire new people and train them for positions). If a person does their best and has good work ethics then they should not worry (unless their best isn't much).

It IS what you put into that and too many people are negative and expect way too much.

I do agree though that not ALL of the people on here who are posting negative responses are lazy. I am very sure that many people have had bad experiences and it may be that they had to deal with poor management (it happens in all organizations, even the Military). But I do hope that over time and attrition when the "bad" ones continue making other's lives heck that other people will see that and remove them from those positions. It is unfortunate but many people who are in authority and management positions (in any company) really do not have REAL experience or training. I will do my best that when I go to my store so I can be a fair manager.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Willy in Denver, Colorado

37 months ago

Anybody ever work for U-Haul as an "E-Center Sales and Reservations" agent from home? Is it a year-round job or is it just for the "busy" season? Does it pay anything?

Willy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

princesscalicat in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

I've worked for Uhaul at home in Sales and Reservations since last April. I've actually just recently started looking for another job. I've hated the job since I've started. It is VERY MICRO MANAGED. As far as some of these people in this forum that have said that people who hate it must be lazy. In every job, I have ever been at, I've have been promoted and had job raises consistently. After having children, I wanted to work at home to be with them. I've had other work at home jobs and yes I have done very well and even enjoyed it. Unfortunately, most of the home jobs were seasonal. The problem with Uhaul is they treat their work at home employees like second class citizens. When you are at home, you go on break, you clock out, lunch you clock out, if you have to go to the bathroom, you have to put yourself in the status of "other" If you are a few minutes late logging on you get an occurrence, if you are a few minutes early logging off you get an occurrence. And if you go to the bathroom too long and your status is on "other" then they send you a threatening email. The phone is constantly ringing so you do not have the opportunity to go to the bathroom if its slow, cuz its never slow. If you get 3 occurences in 30 days, you get a written warning. Oh and by the way, if you are sick.. that is an occourrence too. If you get written up again, then you get fired. Yes, only the work at home employees get treated this way. I went down down for a few days cuz my computer was getting fixed and I worked on the floor with the other sales and reservation agents that worked at the office and they are throwing a ball around, joking with one another. I couldnt believe it. I cant even (excuse my french) take a piss without getting an email and they are all fooling around. Can you make good money with the bonuses? Sure you can? But if someone had told me what I am telling you, i would have NEVER worked for them!! Huge Turnover for home employees and thats why!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Willy in Denver, Colorado said: Anybody ever work for U-Haul as an "E-Center Sales and Reservations" agent from home? Is it a year-round job or is it just for the "busy" season? Does it pay anything?

Willy

I guess i really didnt answer your question. It is year around.. However, if this is going to be your main income and not secondary, you might want to look somewhere else. When its busy you can get up to 39 hours a week, when its slow, it goes all the way down to 15 a week. It pays about 7 to 8 an hour plus bonuses. If you make more than 3 reservations an hour, then you might make a little extra money. If you go according to their phone script, you also get a bonus. THEY do listen to your calls and if you go off the script even a little, then they warn you about that and then if it happens again, you can lose your bonus for that too. For example, they require that you ask for the business twice, so if a cust says they dont want your services, then you are required to ask again and if you dont, they they will warn you about it and then if you do it agian, you lose your bonus for that week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

torizma in Glendale, Arizona

29 months ago

princesscalicat

They sound pretty strict. Do you HAVE to be up and going at 4am or how are they with a moderately set schedule?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

torizma in Glendale, Arizona said: princesscalicat

They sound pretty strict. Do you HAVE to be up and going at 4am or how are they with a moderately set schedule?

You are required to have at least 32 hours a week, although they push for 39 a week. You do not have to be up at 4am... You can start at any point during the day as long as you get your 32 hours in and it has to be before 6pm. Unless its really busy, then they dont assign you after 7pm. Just keep in mind the pay rate goes up and down quite abit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Uhauler in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

I work for them now and I hate it. The starting pay is $8.25 per hour plus bonus. The problem isn't with the customers it's with the company itself. If you work at home you're not allowed bathroom breaks. There is the "other" button, but if you use it twice in a month you get "warned". If you work a 7.5 hour day you don't get a lunch break you just get 2 fifteen minute breaks, which is 15 mintues from the time you log off until you're on the phone again, and that equates to about 11 minutes when you take off the time to log off, leave your desk, and set up and log on again. It isn't enough time to eat, go to the bathroom, and just de-stress for a moment. Calls come fast, and you'd better make sure to ask for that credit card by name a second time or you lose and entire 2-week's bonus (not just that day or week).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Uhauler in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

I didn't answer the original question. Uhaul requires you to give them at least 32 hours of availability and you have to work at least one weekend day. They schedule you when THEY want you to work. In addition to being listened to and judged ALL the time you also have the stress of Uhaul programs that run slow, freeze-up, and kick you out. Calls get dropped and customers are always starting their calls with "I was just talking to someone and he/she hung up on me" The Uhaul stores don't answer their phones so they get routed to the call center/at home people which makes the customers mad. There's a lot of contridiction. Try Alpine Access ( alpineaccess.com ) they hire work-at-home for a lot of different companies, and they treat their employees very well.

In my opinion, as a current Uhauler the job stinks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

DAN in Miami Beach, Florida

20 months ago

Uhauler in Phoenix, Arizona said: I didn't answer the original question. Uhaul requires you to give them at least 32 hours of availability and you have to work at least one weekend day. They schedule you when THEY want you to work. In addition to being listened to and judged ALL the time you also have the stress of Uhaul programs that run slow, freeze-up, and kick you out. Calls get dropped and customers are always starting their calls with "I was just talking to someone and he/she hung up on me" The Uhaul stores don't answer their phones so they get routed to the call center /at home people which makes the customers mad. There's a lot of contridiction. Try Alpine Access ( alpineaccess.com ) they hire work-at-home for a lot of different companies, and they treat their employees very well.

In my opinion, as a current Uhauler the job stinks.

DO YOU HAVE AN EMAIL ADDRESS I CAN CONTACT YOU AT, I HAVE AN OPPURTUNITY FOR YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

loveit in Chattanooga, Tennessee

20 months ago

I have been working for UHaul Sales and Reservations from home for 8 months now and its the best job Ive ever had. The pay is so good it allows me to work 25 hours a week, sometimes less and have money left over at the end of each month and live quite comfortably. I live alone and depend on no one but myself for income. Anyway, the hourly pay is fairly low, $8.50, however the bouns for booking reservations is outstanding due to the number of reservations I consistently book. Even in the off season which began in october, I am making very close to what I was in peak season. Regarding the time issues the other people have commented had, If you are late to ANY job it is an issue...if you spend too much time in the bathroom on ANY job it is an issue.....if you spend too much time clocked into "other" on ANY job it is an issue....My point being, if you dont follow the rules on ANY job it will be a problem....for you...hahaha.........I have NEVER clocked in late one time, RARELY use "other", and only take the designated time for break and lunch without going over and have NEVER been contacted by any manager or supervisor regarding an issue about my time. Management is VERY hands off and I ONLY hear from someone once a week to do a performance review and coaching. If you cannot work unsupervised then this job is not for you. I personally LOVE this job as it allows me to feel I have my own business by never hearing from management to breathe down your neck, and allowing me to choose what hours I would like to work. I have never been treated BETTER by a company by allowing me to do my job, do it well, and make myself and UHaul lots of money!! I want to retire from UHaul!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dan in Davenport, Florida

20 months ago

loveit in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I have been working for UHaul Sales and Reservations from home for 8 months now and its the best job Ive ever had. The pay is so good it allows me to work 25 hours a week, sometimes less and have money left over at the end of each month and live quite comfortably. I live alone and depend on no one but myself for income. Anyway, the hourly pay is fairly low, $8.50, however the bouns for booking reservations is outstanding due to the number of reservations I consistently book. Even in the off season which began in october, I am making very close to what I was in peak season. Regarding the time issues the other people have commented had, If you are late to ANY job it is an issue...if you spend too much time in the bathroom on ANY job it is an issue.....if you spend too much time clocked into "other" on ANY job it is an issue....My point being, if you dont follow the rules on ANY job it will be a problem....for you...hahaha.........I have NEVER clocked in late one time, RARELY use "other", and only take the designated time for break and lunch without going over and have NEVER been contacted by any manager or supervisor regarding an issue about my time. Management is VERY hands off and I ONLY hear from someone once a week to do a performance review and coaching. If you cannot work unsupervised then this job is not for you. I personally LOVE this job as it allows me to feel I have my own business by never hearing from management to breathe down your neck, and allowing me to choose what hours I would like to work. I have never been treated BETTER by a company by allowing me to do my job, do it well, and make myself and UHaul lots of money!! I want to retire from UHaul!

Please email me. therealdeal72jones@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Not Happy Uhauler in Phoenix, Arizona

15 months ago

I just recently quit from working at home for Uhaul and I must say I was very disappointed with the job. The biggest problem I had was the lack of communication from management when it came to being coached on how to handle certain situations on the phone. The next big problem I had was the contradicting information that is given. Each week of training was taught by a different person and each week there would be one or two instructions that would change with regards of what you could or could not do. For example, one week you were told that if there was an issue with a hitch reservation you could contact hitch central but don't ever transfer the customer to hitch central but then a few days later you're being told that you should never for any reason contact hitch central....I mean come on which one is it?! The other thing I didn't like was that fact that after going through 4 weeks of training in which the last two weeks you're taking phone calls, I still had to qualify in order to participate in the bonus program!! Shouldn't the two weeks of taking phone calls in training been the determining factor as to whether or not I could participate in the bonus program after training?! To me Uhaul is not worry about what you can get or make out of this job but rather what they can get out of you and that is reservations!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

notcrazy in Nampa, Idaho

8 months ago

I recently applied for a General Manager job at a local U-haul owned store, which I will not be taking. The current GM was getting a promotion, and the area sales guy was very pleasant. When the Marketing Company Vice President (really just an area manager) came to the store, the whole atmosphere changed. The MCVP went around looking for problems and things done wrong around the store. He found very minor things, and he yelled at the GM... during my interview! I asked him what qualities he felt were important for a General Manager. He said "fill the storage units!" I made good suggestions about local marketing and how to get the units full, and he didn't even listen to my whole idea before saying that it works the way it is, and they're not changing a thing. (nice)... I also suggested fencing around the storage units for added security. The building is terribly outdated and really needs to be replaced. The cement floors indoors are cracked, and there are hardly any products on display. The ones that are on display have old dusty wrappers. I sure would like to talk with the company's CEO... If the MCVP is that bad during an interview, I can just imagine working there... I think I'll keep my current job... the grass on the U-Haul side of the fence is definitely brown!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dani127 in Atlanta, Georgia

3 months ago

Work from home. Training was from home. Four weeks of training. Two weeks with trainers. Week 3 and 4 your were to be taking calls but shadowed. I guess they forgot to shadow my class because we were lost and on our own. We had no idea who to contact while working. Our manager barely online when we are online. Week 5 was to be our first week alone as official agents but we really had already been on our own. I got chewed out that first day for a call I did wrong during week 4. I felt really disrespected and was down-talked by my lead agent. I knew then I was pretty much over Uhaul, although, initially I was pretty excited for the opportunity. I haven't had anymore incidents like that. I'm still not sure if that was some sort of hazing?? Really unprofessional whatever it was.

Like usual call centers there are scripts and quotas. That was no problem. Three reservations an hour is pretty easy if that's all you are doing.. but it's not. You're making reservations, taking storage payments, trying to track ubox deliveries, helping people navigate the website and searching stock for boxes and things at particular stores. You are also getting people trying to reach store employees for personal reasons, callbacks, checking applications statuses and more. That's not a problem at all until you're contacted by management letting you know that you are not meeting your 3 per hour quota and you won't get your bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

3 months ago

Cont..
All calls are from people thinking they are calling a specific store near them. What they don't know is that the store's calls are routed and they have reached the call center. We aren't to let them know that unless they ask or unless they ask something that we obviously can't answer because we're not there. Some people are ok with it and some insist on speaking to someone actually at the store. They ask for the direct number but of course it's the number they just dialed. I also have a hard time reaching actual stores immediately by phone and I need them to answer questions ALL. THE. TIME. Locations can't get in touch with other locations either. 2 out of 10 on a good day actually answer an internal line. Most go to queue to people like me. I end up sending a message and I've had good results with getting responses that way but not always. There's also email. I never know if they actually get back to customers.

Oh and about that script. My trainer said you basically go by the script and you'll be fine. Of course I followed it but if you don't go word for word or in exact order there might be a problem based on your management team and who's monitoring your call. You could end up not compliant. We're scripted to ask for the credit card number before confirming the location or pick up time for the day selected. Agents can see at the bottom of the page the times the equipment is available or that it isn't available at all. Knowing that it isn't available you still have to ask to reserve with a credit card. I hate doing this. I feel like it all was a lie. I used to try checking locations for equipment prior to getting a credit card # before I knew how strict Uhaul was. I was advised by my lead to go in order or I could be considered non-compliant. I have had someone call me out for taking their card number and then telling them we didn't have what they wanted and sending the request to scheduling. They had every right to be upset.

We also have to be very

3 months ago

Cont.. AGAIN

We also have to be very pushy. We collect all contact info and at times people are reluctant or down right refuse. Some people only want a quote but we still must ask for all info. We also have to ask you to confirm with a credit card. If you say no we have to add urgency and ask again. Non-compliant if we don't INSIST. If you don't have a credit or debit card we have to suggest you to use a card of a family member or friend. I have never asked anyone to do that. It's ridiculous.

I could go on but this is getting way too long. Horrible practices Uhaul. Just check out Uhaul's facebook page. It's full of complaints by customers. I have worked here about two months and I'm done. I'd quit now but I'm waiting to start another job within a couple of weeks(thank goodness). I'm trying.... to hold on but I really despise logging on everyday..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.