What's the company culture at U-Haul?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at U-Haul?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at U-Haul?

Reply - Report abuse

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona

89 months ago

"What is the Office invironment and culture like at Uhaul"...My friend...have a seat and get ready for the class to begin (UHAUL 101)....Gee! Where do I begin....The good news : It's actually not hard to get a Manager or Customer Service Representatives job at Uhaul. The turn over rate for managers is high,(both terminations and managers just quiting). Why is there such a high turnover rate....mostly two main reasons....1) long work hours for little pay, (I'll explain the "bonus" program later), and 2)the high stress. Now, you may be asking..."High stress!! All you do is rent trucks and trailers, what can be stressful about that?"
Here we go...stress 101...Uhaul, like many car rental agencies, overbook their reservations, (that's an understatement!!!) Uhaul makes you take as many reservations for oneway truck, trailer, and towing equipment, (in-town reservations are different), that come over the phone...what I mean to say is...if on Monday, you have 20 trucks on your lot, and during that week, 100 customers call and make oneway reservations to pick up on that Friday...you must make those reservations with a smile and wink, (and if it is found out that you are not saying "yes" to each of those prospective customers, you will be be reprimanded the first time, terminated the second time),....now...just for a minute...close your eyes, and imagine the following scenerio..a person is hired for a good paying job in a different state,(maybe even on the other side of the country), he/she has to move their family and everything in their 3 bedroom home within 4 weeks,...the customer reserves the truck three weeks in advance, (plenty of time right?)..the customer sets up three people from a local moving company to help them move their stuff into the truck,(they pay a non refundable deposit for those movers to be at there house on a specific date and time. The customer calls all their utility companies to turn off electric/water/etc(to be continued in Uhaul 102, I ran out spac

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona

89 months ago

...Uhaul 102 (continued)....lets just say it's the middle of summer, (110 in the shade)...as the time draws near for the customers move, they get a little anxious and call Uhaul about their truck being there on that date...the person on the other line says..."someone will call you the day before your rental to let you know 1)If they found/have your truck, 2)If you will be picking up from that location, or one of the many dealers in town, and 3)IF they have a truck...what time it will be available for pick up...might be 7am sharp...or it might be...say...6:30pm..."They'll let you know!" BUT WAIT!!!! the customer have the movers scheduled to be at their house at 9am sharp..and it's three days before the move...(non refundable movers deposit!)...and the customer has a tight budget to work with..(fuel/food/hotel$$$$$$$$$$$) ....Uhaul calls the customer the day before the rental,...they say they have yet to find your truck, but don't worry, if they cannot find the size you reserved...they'll substitute a lager size for the same price...(Oh Wait! the cust. reserved the largest truck Uhaul has...there is no larger truck!!! The next morning arrives...the sun is shining sweetly on the horizon, the birds are singing a beautiful Beatles tune...and the bacon is sizzling on the stove.....as soon as everyone is fed, the cust. piles the kids and their dog Penske,(insider joke)...into the Grizwald mobile....head down to their local Uhaul....NO TRUCK!!!.....and no truck at any of the other dealers in town...but they did find a substitution...a 10 foot moving van, brand spankin' new...only one problem...it's five sizes smaller than the truck the cust. reserved,(it's actually for a studio apartment....that and the truck has seating for two, and the cust. has two kids...and a dog....named Penske!) The customer might get a truck later that day, tomorrow,maybe two days later......the point of this long scenario...is this..(continued in Uhaul 103..ran out of space again)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona

89 months ago

...Uhaul 103 (continued)....the point is that this is not an uncommon scenario...and guess what happens when it does occur...the customer wants to take your head off. when this has happened to me in the past...customers have threatened my life, I've been verbally assaulted until the cops had to be called, my tires of my personal vehicle have been slashed, or sometimes the customer will just start screaming/crying inside the office in front of other customers....believe me, it GETS UGLY!! There were times after a confrontation were my hands were shaking, adrenalin pumping, blood pressure pounding...heart attack/stroke type stress. And if you're crazy enough to tell your superiors that perhaps Uhaul should not overbook their reservations on such a high level...they look at you like you're crazy....they literally tell you..."..thats part of what you get paid for...to take that abuse!"....now combine that with the second reason there is such a high turnaround rate at Uhaul....."long hours for little pay....during my final months at Uhaul(I was a manager), I was working 70 hour weeks, six days a week.......company owned Uhaul stores are open 7 days a week, 364 days a year...who can tell me what happens if an employee who is running the store on a Sunday, (your only day off), calls in and quits or calls in sick...and a replacement employee cannt be found...that's right kids....I go in...80 hour work weeks are not unheard of,by the way...you don't get paid overtime...you're on salary....are you getting the picture?.) Depending on what state you live in...starting manager salaries can start around $ 29,000. - $ 37,000. (continued)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona

89 months ago

...Uhaul 104 (continued).....A person making approx. $ 30,000. a year, working a standard 40 hour work week, makes about $ 14.25 an hour....now if that same persons work week is increased to say...70 hours a week,(remember! no overtime pay!)...at the same $30,000. a year...well...heck..you do the math! And if you happen to have a life/wife/husband/kids/...or a dog...named...Penske :O) as the Sopranos would say..."fugetaboutit!!" By the way...if someone out there is reading this and says..."Hey..I know a manager that runs a Uhaul, and he doesn't work long hours, (60-70)...believe me...he/she is leaving work early,..without his/hers superior's knowledge....and if/when his/her boss finds out, they'll either be given an ultimatum, or terminated. By the way, the answer to your second question is as follows...managers where white shirts, (polo or buttons down the front)...black or brown pants, (Dickies type), dark shoes/boots...absolutly no white tennis shoes/sneakers....the customer service reps wear tan polo or button down type shirts, (company supplied)...and same color pants/shoes as the manager....well, I hope I gave you some insight into Uhaul...believe me when I say that I"m not speaking from a disgruntled ex employee type position...simply put, Uhaul is not the type of company that takes very good care of its own people...but it's the best place to have a hitch installed...great prices, and good products....now...I'm off to walk my dog.....Penske!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

samantha711 in Yuma, Arizona

89 months ago

BoBo,
This is pretty scary! I have an interview on Wednesday, IN YUMA for GM at UHAUL!! Is this the same office that you worked in?

I would love to know more, but I don't know how much more I would actually need to hear. All of this sounds horrible! I'm out her at Arizona Western College right now & love the environment. The only reason I was considering UHaul is they were offering a bit more. But, these comments make it sound NOT WORTH IT!
Please contact me at samantha711@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pentsai in Brunswick, Maine

89 months ago

To all who will read BoBo's lengthly comments in his posts take heed... BoBo's has an absolute truthful grip on the reality of the U-Haul culture...I was a five year GM for U-Haul on the East coast in the late 80's and early 90's and it appears that the culture has not changed one bit...And he didn't even get to the "Hotline" part of the GM's job just another stressful part of the position requirement...The part where your life could be threatened by an irate customer due to U-Hauls practices is (pardon the pun) dead on...Been there done that...Working for U-Haul is not for the faint hearted...Ever since founder Sam Shoen's sons battled for control of the company in the 80's away from their father and consequently ousted him, the company went down hill because of greed and ultimately the employees and customers took the brunt of the end result...I ultimately survived the experience, but not without long lasting mental scaring and a deep seated detain for the company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

R.S. in Ripon, California

89 months ago

I to was a general manager for u-haul in C.A. paid quiet a bit more that Bo Bo and made monthly bonuses and it still was not enough to put up with all the corp. crap that they would come up and put on the G.M. to do. They don't care how good your numbers are they will still look for something to put you down on never did i ever get told you are doing good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona

89 months ago

Upon getting out of the Marines in 1992, I became a Uhaul manager in Arizona for approx. 3 years, (I had to quit because I was seriously burned out.......isn't it ironic, I served 10 years in the military, without a scratch, and it was Uhaul that threatened my health, stress-wise! :O) ...I promised myself I would never work for Uhaul again....."never say never! :O) ....in 2001, I came back, (as a General Manager again)....I did pretty good, (had good numbers), for the first 4 1/2 years, but the fifth year, I wasn't meeting my quota. You would have thought that since I had more than proven myself the past 4 1/2 years, that I would be given some slack on the final year.....No way! That's not Uhauls way of doing things.....if they get rid of you...they can hire someone off the street "on the cheap". After 8 1/2 years as a General Manager, I have seen Uhaul terminate people left and right, sometimes, for little or no cause, (Arizona is a "right to work" state...which means companies can fire you "at will")....they have very little loyalty to their people....... R.S. in Ripon CA,(the reply above this one), hit upon another thing about Uhaul......it's lack of appreciation for when you do a good job........in my time with Uhaul, I made "much" money for the company....but every month, at the monthly managers meetings,...the only thing you would hear come out of the Marketing Company Presidents,(the managers boss), mouth would be.....why aren't we doing better? can't you work just a few hours more? JEEZ! There's only 24 hours in a day homeboy!!!!!!! :O)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Klaus von Rahm in Glendale, Arizona

88 months ago

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona said: Upon getting out of the Marines in 1992, I became a Uhaul manager in Arizona for approx. 3 years, (I had to quit because I was seriously burned out.......isn't it ironic, I served 10 years in the military, without a scratch, and it was Uhaul that threatened my health, stress-wise! :O) ...I promised myself I would never work for Uhaul again....."never say never! :O) ....in 2001, I came back, (as a General Manager again)....I did pretty good, (had good numbers), for the first 4 1/2 years, but the fifth year, I wasn't meeting my quota. You would have thought that since I had more than proven myself the past 4 1/2 years, that I would be given some slack on the final year.....No way! That's not Uhauls way of doing things.....if they get rid of you...they can hire someone off the street "on the cheap". After 8 1/2 years as a General Manager, I have seen Uhaul terminate people left and right, sometimes, for little or no cause, (Arizona is a "right to work" state...which means companies can fire you "at will")....they have very little loyalty to their people....... R.S. in Ripon CA,(the reply above this one), hit upon another thing about Uhaul......it's lack of appreciation for when you do a good job........in my time with Uhaul, I made "much" money for the company....but every month, at the monthly managers meetings,...the only thing you would hear come out of the Marketing Company Presidents,(the managers boss), mouth would be.....why aren't we doing better? can't you work just a few hours more? JEEZ! There's only 24 hours in a day homeboy!!!!!!! :O)

Actually, Arizona is an employment at will state, which means termination for any reason and they don't have to tell you why. "Right to Work" (which AZ is also, a real "southern" state) means that a company cannot have a closed union shop - meaning that one cannot be forced to join the union to keep one's job there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

I know what you mean...

87 months ago

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona said: Upon getting out of the Marines in 1992, I became a Uhaul manager in Arizona for approx. 3 years, (I had to quit because I was seriously burned out.......isn't it ironic, I served 10 years in the military, without a scratch, and it was Uhaul that threatened my health, stress-wise! :O) ...I promised myself I would never work for Uhaul again....."never say never! :O) ....in 2001, I came back, (as a General Manager again)....I did pretty good, (had good numbers), for the first 4 1/2 years, but the fifth year, I wasn't meeting my quota. You would have thought that since I had more than proven myself the past 4 1/2 years, that I would be given some slack on the final year.....No way! That's not Uhauls way of doing things.....if they get rid of you...they can hire someone off the street "on the cheap". After 8 1/2 years as a General Manager, I have seen Uhaul terminate people left and right, sometimes, for little or no cause, (Arizona is a "right to work" state...which means companies can fire you "at will")....they have very little loyalty to their people....... R.S. in Ripon CA,(the reply above this one), hit upon another thing about Uhaul......it's lack of appreciation for when you do a good job........in my time with Uhaul, I made "much" money for the company....but every month, at the monthly managers meetings,...the only thing you would hear come out of the Marketing Company Presidents,(the managers boss), mouth would be.....why aren't we doing better? can't you work just a few hours more? JEEZ! There's only 24 hours in a day homeboy!!!!!!! :O)

Tell me about it. Here in the SE part of the country...same way. They will let a person go once they are not a muscle-man or if numbers have been slipping. I know...I just wasted a fair bit of time with them and I am now a thing of the past. Trucks...$19.95/day...our employees...good luck! Not worth much basically after they work the snot out of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I know what you mean...

87 months ago

BoBo in Yuma, Arizona said: ...Uhaul 104 (continued).....A person making approx. $ 30,000. a year, working a standard 40 hour work week, makes about $ 14.25 an hour....now if that same persons work week is increased to say...70 hours a week,(remember! no overtime pay!)...at the same $30,000. a year...well...heck..you do the math! And if you happen to have a life/wife/husband/kids/...or a dog...named...Penske :O) as the Sopranos would say..."fugetaboutit!!" By the way...if someone out there is reading this and says..."Hey..I know a manager that runs a Uhaul, and he doesn't work long hours, (60-70)...believe me...he/she is leaving work early,..without his/hers superior's knowledge....and if/when his/her boss finds out, they'll either be given an ultimatum, or terminated. By the way, the answer to your second question is as follows...managers where white shirts, (polo or buttons down the front)...black or brown pants, (Dickies type), dark shoes/boots...absolutly no white tennis shoes/sneakers....the customer service reps wear tan polo or button down type shirts, (company supplied)...and same color pants/shoes as the manager....well, I hope I gave you some insight into Uhaul...believe me when I say that I"m not speaking from a disgruntled ex employee type position...simply put, Uhaul is not the type of company that takes very good care of its own people...but it's the best place to have a hitch installed...great prices, and good products....now...I'm off to walk my dog.....Penske!

I know what you mean...I am an ex-UHaul mgr myself. Forget this 60+ hrs per week stuff. Talk about being detached from your family and everything for that matter. Too much hype for too little payroll, salary and just overall aggravation. Feed Penske a bone for me too! Peace, I'm otta here!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Take my job and....

87 months ago

Don't forget about those late night truck runs after working 10-12 hrs in the store...just wait until minimum wage goes up...no more payroll and the mgr gets to work 26 HRS A DAY!!!! PEACE!!! I'M OTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TACOBELL NEEDS DISHWASHERS

87 months ago

Take my job and.... said: Don't forget about those late night truck runs after working 10-12 hrs in the store...just wait until minimum wage goes up...no more payroll and the mgr gets to work 26 HRS A DAY!!!! PEACE!!! I'M OTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SAY....WHO CARES ABOUT U-HAUL. THEY RENT OUT JUNK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TRY MILKING COWS; THEY SMELL

87 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at U-Haul?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

DEAR HOST...YOU NEED A LIFE...WORK FOR UHAUL...THEN...YOU WILL SEE HOW MUCH THEY REALLY NEED TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS. AND YOU WILL NEED YOUR OLD JOB BACK TOO. WAL-MART NEEDS YOU TOO. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

RENT A DEMOCRATW

87 months ago

SOME OF YOU MUST BE DRUNK AND NOTHING BETTER TO DO. YOU MUST BE A BUNCH OF DEMOCRATS! DOWN WITH HILARY AND OBAMA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

former u-haul employee in Phoenix, Arizona

86 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at U-Haul?

(ANSWER) I worked in the downtown Phoenix main building. I would describe the culture as cold, very nose down ~ all work no play type of environment. It's not a fun place to work. The company "personality" is just weird.

(ANSWER) The expected dress is business casual. Men wear polo shirts, ladies get away with pretty much anything. This is not a job environment where people even really talk about their personal lives let alone get together outside of work. I imagine you could sit in a cubicle next to someone for 10 years and not even know they had a family. This place is Office Space the movie part II (not kidding).

(ANSWER) A typical day in the life of a U-Haul employee working in downtown Phoenix starts by parking not in their garage (there is a 3 year waiting list to do that) but by parking in one of their distant lots..walking 10 minutes to clock in and BAM-your day starts. You do your work, stay focused, go to lunch. There is a very small cafeteria downstairs and only a few lunch rooms scattered here and there on different floors, so many people each their lunches at their desks in silence. Once your hour is up you clock in and get back to work. Once it's 5 you head out to the lot, far far away but happy to be done. Life's too short to spend the majority of your day like that. My advise is to find a company that shows you it values its employees and has some sort of work life balance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Glad it's over...bye-bye

86 months ago

Life away from U-Haul is great. I actually have a life again. Forget working 6 days a week while on a crappy salary. I can do things most parents can do now. Now THAT is priceless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Rahway, New Jersey

81 months ago

HOW DO I CONTACT "former u-haul employee in Phoenix, Arizona" AND "Bobo in Yuma, Arizona ?"

i have some questions for former employees of uhaul.

s1p1p1@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Rahway, New Jersey

81 months ago

R.S. in Ripon, California said: I to was a general manager for u-haul in C.A. paid quiet a bit more that Bo Bo and made monthly bonuses and it still was not enough to put up with all the corp. crap that they would come up and put on the G.M. to do. They don't care how good your numbers are they will still look for something to put you down on never did i ever get told you are doing good job.

can i speak with you? s1p1p1@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Outta there in Metro, Michigan

77 months ago

Let's not forget about working 6:30 AM - 7:00 M-F, Saturdays 6:30 - 5:00 and every other Sunday and had to fight like hell to get the Sunday off. The Co. does not appreciate it's employees and enough is never enough. GM's average about $10 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hagay2386 in Miami, Florida

74 months ago

samantha711 in Yuma, Arizona said: BoBo,
This is pretty scary! I have an interview on Wednesday, IN YUMA for GM at UHAUL!! Is this the same office that you worked in?

I would love to know more, but I don't know how much more I would actually need to hear. All of this sounds horrible! I'm out her at Arizona Western College right now & love the environment. The only reason I was considering UHaul is they were offering a bit more. But, these comments make it sound NOT WORTH IT!
Please contact me at samantha711@hotmail.com

samantha just dress up to impress and get your feminine touch to work. You will getthe job.
" YOU ARE HIRED, SAM"
www.miamimovermoving.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

justl20 in New York

39 months ago

I gave UHaul 2 and half yrs of my life. Worked no less then 6 days a week and put in ALOT of hours after hours getting equipment and I was just a CSR. I was hired by a good manager however he was promoted 6 months after I started and his wife took over (told cuz there wasn't anyone else available) and the place when to crap almost immediately. She told employess that if the center hit the numbers we would all share in bonuses YA right never happened She refused to let ppl see the chart of success it was only posted when the MCP was there and removed immediately after however she thought of the employees as "pee-ons" as she would refer to us as and we hit the numbers several times. She claimed 55 hrs of work, 15 of those being at time and a half and was there less then 30 ! In the two yrs I was there with her as mgr she NEVER not a once EVER worked even close to 40 hrs a week! There was a jar on the counter for donations to the local SPCA but according to the employees at the SPCA no donation has ever been submitted in the name of UHaul or any employee of such...hummm but we all could swear that the money was gone just days before the mgr went on vacation!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.