Before the interview: they want your social security number via the internet, and a personality test.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

John in Gilbert, Arizona

85 months ago

What is going on with their practice of collecting your SS# when you apply on the internet? This isn't common practice!

And before the interview, they want you to take a personality test and a mechanical reasoning test.

I thought that the interview was a time for both the employer and the job candidate to gather more information, in order to see if there was a good match. It seems that U-Haul collects more personal information about you than is customary!

I'm not sure if this company has any respect or even cares about their employees.

What do you think? Is this practice legal or ethical? Would you want to work for a company that treats potential employees like this - even before the interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

It is not illegal to ask for your SS# but it is highly unethical to do so until the time when you have been hired and are filling out the proper tax forms.

If any business asks for your SS# before this point, simply tell them you do not wish to give it out.

Other than tax forms and credit checks, there is no legitimate reason for anyone to have your SS# and even then, they have to have a signed document by you to use that number for the purpose. Government authorities are the only exception.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hoping for employment in Havelock, North Carolina

85 months ago

I just got done with an interview with Uhaul. They ask you your SSN again after you are hired. When they recieve your application it only has the last 4 digits showing. I'm not sure why they ask before they hire you but I was told they can only see the last four digits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

been there tried that.... in York, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

I appplied a few months ago--and it didn't dawn on me---I just thought that it was their policy---i didn't do well on the mechanical test---and wasn't even given the time of day after that!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

WALMART GREETERS NEED YOU!

85 months ago

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia said: It is not illegal to ask for your SS# but it is highly unethical to do so until the time when you have been hired and are filling out the proper tax forms.

If any business asks for your SS# before this point, simply tell them you do not wish to give it out.

Other than tax forms and credit checks, there is no legitimate reason for anyone to have your SS# and even then, they have to have a signed document by you to use that number for the purpose. Government authorities are the only exception.

WHO CARES! WHAT ARE YOU...A TAX ATTORNEY!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Shauwney in Frederick, Maryland

83 months ago

Hoping for employment in Havelock, North Carolina said: I just got done with an interview with Uhaul. They ask you your SSN again after you are hired. When they recieve your application it only has the last 4 digits showing. I'm not sure why they ask before they hire you but I was told they can only see the last four digits.

They ask for your social only to check the database for previous employment. That's all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Orlando, FL

74 months ago

Local U-Haul operations run a bogus manager trainee ad to get better qualified counter help...I went through the complete application process and the manager at the location I applied informed me of this. What do you think about this, has it happened to anyone else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dc3886 in Havelock, North Carolina

74 months ago

This seems about right, they are a horrible company. I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to rent a truck from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NFX in Ocala, Florida

67 months ago

1) Online application questions:
Tip: only choose a few "experience fields", the fewer you select the fewer aptitude test questions you will have to answer. There is no time limits on the questions, if you don't know an answer just look it up online.

* You will need to pass the tests in order to even be considered for the position (if you did not get a call they either filled the position or you did not pass the tests).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

greggf06 in wilbraham, Massachusetts

55 months ago

NFX in Ocala, Florida said: 1) Online application questions:
Tip: only choose a few "experience fields", the fewer you select the fewer aptitude test questions you will have to answer. There is no time limits on the questions, if you don't know an answer just look it up online.

* You will need to pass the tests in order to even be considered for the position (if you did not get a call they either filled the position or you did not pass the tests).

I just applied ! 01/05/10 i checked at least two dozen boxes and then had alot of questions to answer ! After doing very well on all of them, on the very last question thier system says ERROR and boots you off ! You dont even know if they got your info or not ! Very sad for a company that large to have such a mediocre web site !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Noneofyourbusinessindeed in Noneofyourbusinessindeed, Alaska

12 months ago

Shauwney in Frederick, Maryland said: They ask for your social only to check the database for previous employment. That's all

Non Sense.They can ask you during the interview or after making a offer.If you lie during the interview they're free not to hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.