How to get a job at U-Haul.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

Do you work at U-Haul? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Goffstown, New Hampshire

86 months ago

U-Haul places Ads for there Data Base. I know-. You check the place they advertize and they are not hiring. You fill out an application on there web site.You NEVER hear from them, and I have experience in the moving industry!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

corey in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Eileen said: U-Haul places Ads for there Data Base. I know-. You check the place they advertize and they are not hiring. You fill out an application on there web site.You NEVER hear from them, and I have experience in the moving industry!

i have no experience...in fact it will be my first job if im hired....butthey called me for an interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

not important in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

To people that want to work at Uhaul. You can really just walk into the staore and let them know that you are looking for eployment. what they will do is put you ona a computer to take a test. The test consists of spelling and asking about driving situations. Such as driving with a trailer. If you are hired at Uhaul for the first week you will do nothing but was trucks and sweep and mop. Believe me i know. After the first two weeks of this you MIGHT be doing customer service to people bringing in equiptment. And if you are really lucky you might make it inside to work on the computer> I consider myself very luck because when i worked at U-haul i started washing trucks but 8 months later i had my own store. But of course there are down side to this company. There is alot of theft form the inside and its a numbers game. I have seen people get fired for not having signs in the windows. I have seen people lose thier jobs for their children being sick or because they cannot come in on sundays because of religious beliefs..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike S in Manitowoc, Wisconsin

86 months ago

If you have ever dealt with Uhaul as a customer....you will know how bad a compnay they are. Absolutely NO CUSTOMER SERVICE can be found within this organization. If you are a rude, crude, socially unacceptable person...work here...you will fit right in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bruce n Colorado in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

Stay away from this company!
A year ago they called me to offer me a job. I was scheduled to meet with the President of the northern Colorado Wyoming Area. He called me that morning and said a few "personal" things had come up......would it be okay if he called later that afternoon to arrange a time to meet. I didn't hear from him. I called his office the next day only to find out that he resigned. I placed several calls to Uhaul in this state.....a few emails.....no replies......not even a "I'm sorry."

Work for Budget, Ryder etc.
Rent from Budget, Ryder etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay Golden in Omaha, Nebraska

84 months ago

Host said: Do you work at U-Haul? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

You need to get to apply on line then go to the local compnay store ans introduce yourself to the store manager.. The guy in the White shirt is the manager. The rest of the crew is in brown. I can only say this about working for U-Haul.. They are not the tops in pay scales but you usually will never have to worry about lay offs and the company benifits are some of the best. I worked for them from 93 to 2000 and thought the grass was greener elsewhere. I should have stayed.. I am about to go back working for them. If you do what your told, can think on your feet you will most always have a job. They have been around for ever and are not going anywhere. They are family owned and traded on the stock exchange. I personlly know people who have worked there 10 years and up. They are the largest at what they do and always expanding. All the others combined are not as large.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Eileen in Goffstown, New Hampshire said: U-Haul places Ads for there Data Base. I know-. You check the place they advertize and they are not hiring. You fill out an application on there web site.You NEVER hear from them, and I have experience in the moving industry!

You need to go to a store in your area and speak to a manager to tell them your interested. They do know you applied if you were never in a store. They do not look at it unless they physically talk to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eileen in Manchester, New Hampshire

84 months ago

Thank you for the Comment, but I did contact the stores in my area, the job was posted for. They told me they were not hiring,and seemed kind of worried about it. (afraid of losing there job?? ) They also told me, that U-Haul does collect Resumes for there Data Base..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

You are in manchester NH. The main office for that area is 515 S Willow St. manchester. The phone number is 603-627-9182. If is posted on the web they are hiring at the company. Might not be at the store you went to. Ask to speak to the (EA) Exec Assistant or the MCP (marketing company president)Those 2 people will know whats going on and what exactly they are looking for. Their hiring system is kind of lousy but out of all the choices out there in today's job market they really are not all that bad. Every job has its ups and downs but. UHaul is not a top pay place but you can have a decent job good benifits, credit union etc and there is tons of room for advancemet and transfers to other areas. They will never cut your pay. The only thing they might do if your part time they may scale back your hours in the off season. U-hauls busy time is now through the end of september. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lamar wilson in Belmont, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Host said: Do you work at U-Haul? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Go on line

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I was a area manager for them for 7 years. Once you apply online you need to stop in to the store that your interested in working at and be interviewed by the store manager. He will then refer you to the Market area President for futher consideration. Ir all really depends on the position your applying for. If you are a mechanic you would then stop and see the shop manager. If you want to contact me directly I have a list of the main offices in your area. I can give you some numbers to call. You need retail experience to work in the store and you need some ASE certs to work in the shop. Jay... cjraceli@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Eileen in Goffstown, New Hampshire said: U-Haul places Ads for there Data Base. I know-. You check the place they advertize and they are not hiring. You fill out an application on there web site.You NEVER hear from them, and I have experience in the moving industry!

Unless you stop into a store or call the one posted and speak to the manager they will never call you. The feeling is if you want a job you should be calling them not them calling you. Its just another way of checking your sales skills.

82 months ago

ummm...they called me for the interview when i was hired

Don't Do it!

82 months ago

My advise...find somthing better!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

You'll be sorry!

82 months ago

U-Haul as a rule will wear you out like an old beat up truck and will drop you like a hot potato when you cannot work like a muscle-man. Nothing makes them happy except if you like working 6 days a week or more and have no other life whatsoever. Nothing you is ever good enough...revenue, clean store, full in storage, selling hitches like crazy...not to mention all of the time wasting particulars that has to be done to verified that you had checked a certain web page. No wonder the competition is gaining on them. They may be the cheapest...but they are not the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Work is bad, pay is worse!

82 months ago

Hi Corey in Pittsburg...how do you like washing trucks and trailers for the first full week in the heat? Try down South where it is really hot. Do yourself a favor...get out while you can!

81 months ago

i didnt wash trucks/trailers my first week....only for part of my first day....then i started doing checkins and dispatches.....i know what you mea about the heat tho since i have had propane lines before....the pay...at least at my location is decent since im just doing it as a part time job...i started at 7.50 an hour and moved up to 8.25

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Allison in Dayton, Texas

42 months ago

Eileen in Manchester, New Hampshire said: Thank you for the Comment, but I did contact the stores in my area, the job was posted for. They told me they were not hiring,and seemed kind of worried about it. (afraid of losing there job?? ) They also told me, that U-Haul does collect Resumes for there Data Base..

I worked for U-Haul for 3 years as a driver, a part time semi-retirement job. I was in a position to observe the company from the inside, and I know for a fact that U-Haul does post employees jobs without telling them. This was an intimidation tactic. I know of one time when every manager locally thought he was being replaced, some were, if they didn't meet the ever increasing quotas.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.