RESERVE OR ACTIVE DUTY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

MRS E BEATTY in NEPTUNE, New Jersey

71 months ago

CAN SOME ONE JOIN THE RESERVE TO GET HELP FOR COLLEGE THEN ONCE THEY HAVE THERE DEGREE CAN THEY CHANGE THE BRANCH OF SERVICE THEY WERE IN TO ENLIST FULL TIME OR IS IT A WAITING PERIOD, AND WILL THEY BE ENTITELD TO A SIGHN ON BONUS AS AN ENLISTED BEING THAT THEY WERE IN THE RESERVE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SergeantRetired in Hopkinsville, Kentucky

22 months ago

Okay, college. The Reserve, National Guard and Active Duty all have the GiBill. You have to serve 36 months of ACTIVE service to get the 100% benefit though. As a regular Reserve/NG guy that will take a while even with deployments. The exception to this rule is if you get a Medical Disability discharge, at which time you automatically get the 100%. A LOT of states have Res/NG scholarships, look into that on the VA website. Now, Branch change. GOOD LUCK! It costs the Army ~$250,000 PER TRAINEE for basic and AIT, so getting the Army to train you twice is hard. Transferring to Active Duty from the Res/NG is based on needs of the Army and home state. Your state has to release you, in your current job and the AD has to accept you, in your current job (most of the time). If the state is hurting for Infantry and you want out it probably won't happen. Now if your state has a lot of your job and the AD needs you or they have some other shortage job you could get picked up. Bonuses rely a lot on that. Your local recruiter can help you a lot more than I can in that area. My job was offering bonuses in January '10 and when I re-enlisted in March '10 the bonuses were gone if that tells you anything. It's best to (re)enlist in Sept/Oct at the end/begining of the fiscal year if you want more than your promised paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.