U.S. Bank Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at U.S. Bank?

What do you like best about working at U.S. Bank? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

don't miss it in Wausau, Wisconsin

89 months ago

No great perks or special treats for employees...

Stick to small hometown community banks if your looking for a career in banking, they understand and value employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

20 year headhunter in Las Cruces, New Mexico

88 months ago

Some community banks are great, some aren't. New small banks are started as near or medium term investments, to be sold to bigger banks during the lifetime of the founders.

Old family-owned banks can be more stable, but that depends on family factors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

don't miss it in Merrill, Wisconsin

88 months ago

To be realistic, tellers and personal bankers, and even branch managers, are relatively unskilled...not necessarily well-educated (AA degree is often more than enough)...they're easy to train/replace.

True, yet sad, considering the fact that they have to know and retain rules and regulations, be aware of scams, know the customer, sell products, loans and all that with little to no pay, knowing that you can be replaced at any moment.

"unskilled" yes, but you can't replace relationship building skills, old school customer service, knowing how to deal with a difficult customer, problem solving skills, common sense, reliability...

I'd rather hire and pay someone more with those type of skills any day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

20 year headhunter in Organ, New Mexico

88 months ago

The pay isn't "little or no." They make as much as most Americans make. Their various skills may be comparable to those of a Home Depot employee.

The main disadvantages of branch work seem the lack of occasional privacy, lack of exercise, and necessity of business attire...

...or, if there's no requirement for business attire, there's the knowledge that one is not expected to advance, so is being made comfortable in order to be kept as happy as possible until you are dispensed with (ie "business casual" means "sit back and relax, you aren't going anywhere."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy in Falls Church, Virginia

87 months ago

Having worked in the US Bank HR dept. a teller can start out at 8-9$per/hour they do take different markets into consideration so a Teller in Merril will not make the same as a Teller in the Twin Cities Metro area.

Bonuses are granted to individuals that are succeeding in there job duties. As with all major organization the money gets stuck at the top- A non-exempt employee can expect a 2-2.5% bonus IN ADDITION to a metrit increase in February- March. Exempt level employees do receieve higher bonuses in coordination with the job grade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Waukesha, Wisconsin

86 months ago

a teller makes 9 dollars an hour, a 1-2 percent raise is expected every year. It's highly highly underpaid for the amount of work/responsibility you take on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lippysaunt in Sweet Home, Oregon

83 months ago

I work in one of the call centers...basically a personal banker over the phone and I make $13 plus monthly incentives. It's not a great wage, but it's OK...better than branch wages. There are lots of training opportunities and each time you go through more training you get a raise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Margie_B in Little Rock, Arkansas

76 months ago

What about the top execs at U.S. Bank in Little Rock? Like a VP of Private Banking - what do they make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

20 year headhunter in Las Cruces, New Mexico

76 months ago

Margie_B in Little Rock, Arkansas said: What about the top execs at U.S. Bank in Little Rock? Like a VP of Private Banking - what do they make?

A VP is rarely considered a "top exec." Banks award VP titles to minor officers because they think the clients expect to deal with titled officers. Banks are much more promiscuous with titles than are brokerage firms or non-financial businesses. A "VP" at a paint manufacturer or grocery store is probably a more significant person than a VP at a bank and may well earn more.

"Private Banking" can mean loan sales or it can mean trust department sales. In both cases the base salary is rarely outside $75-100K but the person will rarely hold the job for long if they don't justify 50% more on the basis of commission...which has to cover the base within two years. The loan sales version of private banking is less interpersonally and technically skilled and more risky (because of economic fluctuations and the varying condition of individual banks( than the trust department sales version.

Loan sales are far more transactional and less relationship based than are trust department sales.

Except for true backwoods locations, salaries aren't significantly different between major and minor markets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

meowmeow mrrrrrr in Minneapolis, Minnesota

74 months ago

Sandy in Falls Church, Virginia said: Having worked in the US Bank HR dept. a teller can start out at 8-9$per/hour they do take different markets into consideration so a Teller in Merril will not make the same as a Teller in the Twin Cities Metro area.

Bonuses are granted to individuals that are succeeding in there job duties. As with all major organization the money gets stuck at the top- A non-exempt employee can expect a 2-2.5% bonus IN ADDITION to a metrit increase in February- March. Exempt level employees do receieve higher bonuses in coordination with the job grade.

What does an individial need on their resume in order to attract the HR office to give this individual a call?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Lisa in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: a teller makes 9 dollars an hour, a 1-2 percent raise is expected every year. It's highly highly underpaid for the amount of work/responsibility you take on.

That's what most places they pay, noone said working in a bank means making lots of money, well unless you sell,sell,sell,sell. But i do agree, very underpaid for the responsibilities, and the importance of this job for the survival of the bank. They will not survive especially with the turbulent market without tellers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

don't miss it in Wausau, Wisconsin said: No great perks or special treats for employees...

Stick to small hometown community banks if your looking for a career in banking, they understand and value employees.

Again, I want to agree. If you wanted to be treated like a person, and not like dirt, avoid corporations. The small banks value their workers and value people in general because they depend on being in good relations with everyone. Even if you are not hired, they will give you a call to let you know so and give an explanation for why. What will a corporation do? They'll ignore you, forget you and if you call, yell at you rudely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

yikessss in Minneapolis, Minnesota

73 months ago

Small town operations are just as bad as large corporations. Especially Family Owned Companies, unless you have the same last name as the owner dont ever expect to go very high. I just worked for one and they only care about what is going into their pockets dont let them fool you. In large corporation with bonus potential you have to work hard to make good money, which is what most people do not want to do. I do not agree that they will not call you since I was just hired not to long ago and did not get at the first branch yet they reffered me to another. A strong sales background and great communication skills pays more than a degree!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mic from Ohio in Columbus, Ohio

73 months ago

Teller Coordinator salary? Does anyone know what they pay for that position? I know it differs from state to state but in a ball park figure. The person would be coming from the outside not inside and has done alot of teller jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lora J in Villa Park, Illinois

68 months ago

What is the starting pay for a Personal Banker 1 position?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rick stevens in Blair, Nebraska

68 months ago

the starting pay for a Personal Banker 1 all depends on your current skills. If you have banking experience or have a bachelors degree you can expect to earn more. It also depends on the market that you are in.....but a ball park figure could be 24k--34k

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

US Banker in Fargo, North Dakota

68 months ago

Mic from Ohio in Columbus, Ohio said: Teller Coordinator salary? Does anyone know what they pay for that position? I know it differs from state to state but in a ball park figure. The person would be coming from the outside not inside and has done alot of teller jobs.

Around $9-10 in the upper midwest. Good luck finding an opening though.

We were just informed 2 weeks ago that there would be NO merit increases or cost of living increases. Just today, we were informed that all employees in our region are taking 5% pay CUTS effective next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I did get this job. However, I decided to quit it. I was not pleased with the waste of time "call nights".....I want to go home after work not call people while they are eating their dinner. My tellers didn't like it either!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AudreyKan in Bothell, Washington

61 months ago

Mic, you nailed it with the "call nights". And it gets worst. Every branch is so under staff with their 5% paycut and over stressed. The Branch Managers and Customer Service Managers are exempt and so overworked. Recently, they implemented a new concept where the Managers are REQUIRED to spend more "after hour" time to "remodel" their breakrooms. They were given only $100 and it is up them to do the work (what a cheap bank, won't even hire professionals to fix up their employees' breakroom) The upper management appears to care when they want you to accomplish a goal. But, if it's not delivered, all the extra hours you took away from your loved ones to be on the "call nights" are not being considered. You might as well start packing your bags! Stay with the smaller community banks. Bonus? You would have to literally kill yourself in order to get any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ellie8 in Collinsville, Illinois

61 months ago

AudreyKan in Bothell, Washington said: Mic, you nailed it with the "call nights". And it gets worst. Every branch is so under staff with their 5% paycut and over stressed. The Branch Managers and Customer Service Managers are exempt and so overworked. Recently, they implemented a new concept where the Managers are REQUIRED to spend more "after hour" time to "remodel" their breakrooms. They were given only $100 and it is up them to do the work (what a cheap bank, won't even hire professionals to fix up their employees' breakroom) The upper management appears to care when they want you to accomplish a goal. But, if it's not delivered, all the extra hours you took away from your loved ones to be on the "call nights" are not being considered. You might as well start packing your bags! Stay with the smaller community banks. Bonus? You would have to literally kill yourself in order to get any.

I am currently a teller at US Bank and you have seriously hit the nail on the head. It's hard work trying to run a bank with only two tellers on the teller line on a friday night with a line out the door and a parking lot in drive up, but then to be responsible for property taxes, cold calling people about credit cards that they don't want, filing, trying to get new accounts for your pitiful quarterly bonus... which is near impossible when you're stretched to your limits... Managers working almost 50 hours spending most of the time being tellers because of the cut back in hours...

That's really my only problem with U.S. Bank the corporation... most of my other issues depend on management at my branch. I have however met many people at classes that love U.S. Bank... Who knows :-\

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I have always been in banking and I wanted to add I am so disappointed with how sales oriented they have became. I understand they need to get products but the pressure is often unneccesary. I now work at a office doing office work and I am so glad to have finally gotten away from banking!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

samuel brandon in Albuquerque, New Mexico

60 months ago

Drones (office) seek comfort and "busy" passes for "working" for them, but they are less secure (are being laid off everywhere) and earn less than people who actually produce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Your probably right but I get paid alot more at the office then I did at US Bank. I only got paid 11.00 at US Bank. I also lucked out and got a job with a company that is pretty secure. Luckily though I only work for extra money and it isn't crucial I hold down a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SouthNorth in Seattle, Washington

49 months ago

I wouldn't recommend anyone taking a personal banker job with us bank for less than 35k. Average starting salary is about 30-40k. I know of bankers that started out at 40k.

Don't buy into the lie that the incentive plan/commission is uncapped (its really difficult to hit). If you make quota (all else being equal) your commission for 3 months worth of work its literally 500 bucks. And the worse part... you don't get the commission check until 3 months later and they don't even pay interest for holding the money that long. Its a total scam!

If you quit, you do not get paid owed commission and the incentive plan is designed to delay paying you as much as possible.

The pressure to produce its really high at us bank. They push you to get your customers Home Equity Lines of Credit and other credit products. Don't get me wrong, I am used to sales jobs and all the pressure. But considering the crappy commission base listed above, its insulting they want you to sale soo much and not pay you a decent commission.

The training its horrible. They do not teach you sales techniques. All you will learn are bank regulations and laws. You will learn 90 percent of the business by asking your manager and other bankers.

There are better banker jobs else where. If you really must take this job, do so but don't expect to make squat on commission.

Oh ya, the bank is really cheap, they still run windows 2000 and their computers are all falling apart as today. Their software and internal website are a total mess. Nothing is stream lined. Just think of us bank as a extremely conservative bank that runs like a government agency with tons of redtape and inefficiencies.

If you look at the job as a stepping stone for other jobs within the company or something to hold you over till you find a better job, its not a bad gig!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.