3 years experience and 5 awards but they are looking for someone more qualified???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

Tonya

97 months ago

I've worked for a wireless company for 3 years. Never had attentdence issues, tardies, etc. I won 5 awards from this previous company doing the exact same job as this onefor u.s. cellular. But they sent an e-mail back saying that they are looking for "other individuals that best meet their companies needs?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

USCC in Tuttle, Oklahoma

97 months ago

You will not get the opportunity if you are not internal with USCC. This position with go to an internal person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

old lady in Pewaukee, Wisconsin

96 months ago

This I can explain. 3 years experience and several awards are the kind of people they usually fire, not hire. Nope, I am not kidding. US Cellular makes a point of getting rid of people slightly before the 5 year mark. I was one of the first to reach that point in my department, and it got to be a standing joke how much longer I had made it. Most of us had a pact to let each other know what we got fired for, so the rest could avoid that pitfall as they approached their 5th anniversary. You can do better. A taster in a dog food factory would be a better job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

against nepotisim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

96 months ago

old lady in Pewaukee, Wisconsin said: This I can explain. 3 years experience and several awards are the kind of people they usually fire, not hire. Nope, I am not kidding. US Cellular makes a point of getting rid of people slightly before the 5 year mark. I was one of the first to reach that point in my department, and it got to be a standing joke how much longer I had made it. Most of us had a pact to let each other know what we got fired for, so the rest could avoid that pitfall as they approached their 5th anniversary. You can do better. A taster in a dog food factory would be a better job.

Amen. I was let go just before my 3 year mark for failing to meet a monthly metric expectation on a daily basis. I was meeting it for the month to date when they fired me, but I had 3 days where it was above the expectation, and that's what they fired me for. Three days out of the month.

They can spout all of the crap they want about being "A wonderful place to work" but it's a load of garbage. Everyone I know that worked there got fired for BS reasons just before the 5 year mark. Don't waste your time, find something else. You'll be better off in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

old lady in Pewaukee, Wisconsin

96 months ago

ha, I was fired for doing too well with my metrics... I must have been working the "system" they said. As I said to nun yur biz, I've no idea at all about things technical, and never understood what or why or how they collected their data. I couldn't have worked the system even if I HAD been that kind of person I just did my best, and if someone who did better had a hint that was not against the rules, I did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jackabus in Vienna, Missouri

95 months ago

Tonya said: I've worked for a wireless company for 3 years. Never had attentdence issues, tardies, etc. I won 5 awards from this previous company doing the exact same job as this onefor u.s. cellular. But they sent an e-mail back saying that they are looking for "other individuals that best meet their companies needs?"

I find your comments interesting, as I just recently interviewed with US Cellular. I spent 2 1/2 hours interviewing, and received the same reply. Were you also interviewed exclusively by men, and were there women there doing *gofer* work? They made abig deal about their *ethics*, and how fun and rewarding a company it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

glad Im not there anymore in Janesville, Wisconsin

95 months ago

I wonder where you interviewed? I cant speak to the woman thing, it was actually the opposite in the call center I worked in, but the constant harping on ethics is very familiar. When a person or a company has to "blow their own horn" about how ethical, moral, or even fun they are, don't you have to wonder about it? I mean, if all these things are true, you would have picked up on that fact in the 2.5 hours you were there, right? You would have felt "at home" the minute you walked in the door. I think you probably had a lucky break in not being hired, and I certainly wish you the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jackabus in Vienna, Missouri

95 months ago

I interviewed for a sales manager position at a retail store being opened in Rolla, MO in about one month. I think i see a pattern of mainly females in the call centers, and mainly males in the stores. Am I off-base, anyone? I don't know why I am showing up as from Vienna, MO. I about 25 miles south of Vienna.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

glad Im not there anymore in Neosho, Wisconsin

95 months ago

yeah, everyone gets a weird assortment of cities. And you are absolutely correct about the gender breakdown. Females tend to be hired as greeters/cashiers in stores that have them. When the company had their own inside sales department(inside the call center, that is), there were a few more women, and they all did remarkably well from what I heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trailblazer78 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

95 months ago

against nepotisim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Amen. I was let go just before my 3 year mark for failing to meet a monthly metric expectation on a daily basis. I was meeting it for the month to date when they fired me, but I had 3 days where it was above the expectation, and that's what they fired me for. Three days out of the month.

They can spout all of the crap they want about being "A wonderful place to work" but it's a load of garbage. Everyone I know that worked there got fired for BS reasons just before the 5 year mark. Don't waste your time, find something else. You'll be better off in the long run.

I can relate--I was a sales manager and I know more people in mgmt that have been fired than stayed...I had never been fired before and I resented having a 25 year old idiot who never worked fire me when I have a bachelor's degree and was working on an MBA(that I have since completed) all of the BS we were to tell our associates about how wonderful the dynamic organization was turned out to not apply to anyone in mgmt...It is the biggest career ender in that company to go into management--especially if you are not a yes-man--they only want those which can be controlled. I am sorry for the pain that you all have endured I can sympathize --it hurt me deeply and I am still suffering nearly a year later. The sense of betrayal and the horror of the whole situation has been a lot --especially since I am a middle aged woman with a lot of education in a small town where it is difficult to find good quality high paying jobs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

sounds like things are the same out in oklahoma as they are here in Wisconsin. You either keep your job or your self respect, and believe me, no matter how much you sold out, sooner or later you would have been fired. Just like the rest of us peasants, you are nothing but a tool, and all tools lose their usefulness sooner or later. I have heard that the 25 year old idiot who fired me as well as the other middle aged guy on our team is now just a regular coach. Believe me, he'll be out the door soon, and so will the punk who fired you. Its interesting that the coach who "witnessed" my termination is still there, despite telling me confidential information as to why several people were fired, including the center director. Sure indicates the level of professionalism that this is acceptable conduct. On the other hand, when I took an escalated call about inappropriate conduct(REALLY BAD)on the part of 2 coaches, I told no one but my direct coach, because I knew it wasn't something I should handle. I never even indicated that I'd taken an escalated call. this is the first time I've mentioned it...and I still wont say who or what was involved. I sure don't think I'm the world's greatest employee, but I DO know what cofidentiality means. Im sorry to hear you are still hurting, but can advise that you will eventually realize you are better off out of that mess, and will be strong enough never to put up with abuse again, and I sincerely hope that you will never take a job that requires you to treat the people you supervise in a way you do not think is proper. Finally, you say you got an MBA. Please realize that no business school ever has or ever will come up with a better model for business conduct than that smart ass Jewish guy who stood on one foot and said the whole of his teaching could be summarized by "do unto others as you would have do unto you". Call it religion, faith, karma or just common sense. What goes around comes around....

trailblazer78 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

95 months ago

thanks for all of your comments. I think the pain I feel is largely because I tried to believe all of that bs and then found it was all just a giant load of propaganda to make people think this company was special. Anytime you deal with human beings they have issues and ultimately it comes down to survival and who can play the game. As far as my 25 year old boss who never should have been a boss to begin with she was fired about 2 mths ago! Finally. They replaced her with a true yes woman who will do and follow all of their party line bs. I know that I am better off except for the benefits. As a salaried employee--I was giving a lot of my time and working nights, weekends etc. You think you are making good money but when you divide that all up into the long hours and having 24 hour call with your cell phone it takes what your hourly wage is down to nothing. I also live in a town where there are not a lot of great job opportunities so it makes it difficult to get into other things especially as an older worker. Once you get past 25-30 it seems you become less employable!

Thanks again, I guess I am finding solace that many others have been betrayed by the great and mighty dynamic organization!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

oh, yeah, I was surprised at how many people I came across in my small town, 38 miles from the nearest call center, who had similar experiences, or knew someone who did. Those I see who are still there are not happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lawyertime in New Hartford, Iowa

93 months ago

Why don't those who are being discriminated against file a class action law suit. Jack will see the light when that happens. Until that time, his subordinates will quash the disenters (decent people who speak up when something is not right!). This sort of forum should unite a group of people who should take action.

92 months ago

The comment about "being too old for the team" was not made about me, but about the man who sat next to me, he was about 5 years older than I. I heard about the comment third hand, but have no trouble believing it was said about the gentleman sitting next to me, and also that it applied to me. Proving it is another thing entirely. I can't speak for his reasoning in not filing an age discrimination suit, but I do know that like me, he has moved on to a better job. I think that fact speaks for us as loudly as does the fact that so many other people on here had similiar experiences speaks for US Cellular. Frankly, I think its just a matter of time before they hang themselves,with no effort on my part.

voicewithin in Adel, Iowa

92 months ago

What happened to Jodi Valenta? She was the head Iowa person below Ed Perez. She seemed so concerned and caring and professional. The story I heard was her boss was doing something against the US Cellular norm and reported it...then fired. Does anyone know the real circumstances? What if we are doing the same thing and don't know we are doing somethng we'd get fired for? What happened to Ryan Groves? He went from AAE to a store manager? That sounds like a demotion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

old lady in Kingston, Wisconsin

92 months ago

I don't know any of those people, but here's something along the same lines... darned if you do, darned if you don't. At Waukesha, there was some sex going on in the quiet room. Two gals heard about it from reliable sources, but still felt that since they hadn't seen it with their own eyes, they shouldn't say anything to anyone, lest they be fired for spreading gossip, as some had been before them. Apparently, leadership found out they knew, and fired them for NOT reporting it..I got this one straight from one of the victims.. I'd gone into a local competitor's store to chat with a coworker who'd been fired by the same coach who fired me..only to have the gal at the desk behind him pipe up to say how happy SHE was to be out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nobody in Chicago, Illinois

92 months ago

Tonya said: I've worked for a wireless company for 3 years. Never had attentdence issues, tardies, etc. I won 5 awards from this previous company doing the exact same job as this onefor u.s. cellular. But they sent an e-mail back saying that they are looking for "other individuals that best meet their companies needs?"

For whatever reason, I had the same reply, I have been working in wireless industry since 2002. I dont know what their hiring practice is.

old lady in Kingston, Wisconsin

92 months ago

you are better off not working there. consider it a compliment that you don't "meet their needs"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fatso in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

91 months ago

voicewithin in Adel, Iowa said: What happened to Jodi Valenta? She was the head Iowa person below Ed Perez. She seemed so concerned and caring and professional. The story I heard was her boss was doing something against the US Cellular norm and reported it...then fired. Does anyone know the real circumstances? What if we are doing the same thing and don't know we are doing somethng we'd get fired for? What happened to Ryan Groves? He went from AAE to a store manager? That sounds like a demotion.

I can tell you that is close to what I heard happened. I heard the VP did something unethical with her performance review and she reported it to the culture people. and oh, Jodi's gone. Coincidence? I think not. Somebody is being protected and it wasn't Jodi.

I know Jodi and I have begged her to tell the whole story to expose the truth. I hope she sues.

91 months ago

lawyertime in New Hartford, Iowa said: Why don't those who are being discriminated against file a class action law suit. Jack will see the light when that happens. Until that time, his subordinates will quash the disenters (decent people who speak up when something is not right!). This sort of forum should unite a group of people who should take action.

He doesn't even know whats going on. They have him snow blowed and TDS too.

91 months ago

Fatso in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: He doesn't even know whats going on. They have him snow blowed and TDS too.

I have heard of so many people who have been screwed over and so unfair and so wrong, just bad business. Where did the care in American business go? Not at USCELLULAR.

IT's funny that I have had the same thought of all of these people banding together, to make a stand and hold them accountable. It is really sad and I read the blog and think- and USCELLULAR wonders why they can't get anyone to work for them. You can screw people over in Chicago and get away with it but not in Iowa.

walked the wrong way to the printer in Kingston, Illinois

91 months ago

Well, in my dreams, I've thought the same thing.. lets sock it to these jerks. But to claim age discrimination, I would need to subpeona someone who still works there, and I would hate to do that. besides, my 300 days to file is long past. I think its kinda like trying to get back at my exhusband... in the long run, he messed up his own life waaaaaaaaaaay better than I ever could have, and I think US Cell is already well on their way there.. they cant get decent people to work for them.. Waukesha has lunch thieves and sex fiends working for them, apparently..and management spends their time riding scooters thru the call center.. at least thats what was happening when I left..real professional, hey? in the mean time, customers costs increase, and services decrease...you know what they say, what goes around comes around, and boy, when it comes around to us cell, Im glad I wont be there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gluestix in South Roxana, Illinois

91 months ago

jackabus in Vienna, Missouri said: I interviewed for a sales manager position at a retail store being opened in Rolla, MO in about one month. I think i see a pattern of mainly females in the call centers, and mainly males in the stores. Am I off-base, anyone? I don't know why I am showing up as from Vienna, MO. I about 25 miles south of Vienna.

Hey I'm in the Sales Manager process right now, I just completed the phone interview and I'm going to my second interview next week. Did you get the job? Are you happy with it? Was the face-to-face interview tough?

Jane Doe in Janesville, Wisconsin

91 months ago

Fatso in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: I have heard of so many people who have been screwed over and so unfair and so wrong, just bad business. Where did the care in American business go? Not at USCELLULAR.

IT's funny that I have had the same thought of all of these people banding together, to make a stand and hold them accountable. It is really sad and I read the blog and think- and USCELLULAR wonders why they can't get anyone to work for them. You can screw people over in Chicago and get away with it but not in Iowa.

Just to give you an idea of the caliber of people WHO DO work for us cell
this was my comment under a previous name. I'd like to share what just happened to me to indicate the type of employees us cell is down to.. because US Cell still has the best service/price in this area, I still have them as my cell phone provider. I called to get my account number so I could set up access to my account online. When asked, I gave the password that has been on my account since I was an employee. after repeating it several times, I was asked to spell it. I was told I didn't have the proper password, and that I would have to go to a store. Point 1- the info in my consumer account was copied right from my employee account while I was present by someone who KNEW me. So they cant copy right. This was 2/13/06. I've called at least 3 other times and spoken to someone, and given the password, and it has NEVER been ?'d before.. Point 2 - whats the purpose of a password if noone is checking it? Point 3...the southern fried jerk I was talking to made NO attempt to seek advice on how to help me, Just told me what IHAD to do, a big no no. Finally, when I got my account set up online, the pmnt info was outdated and usage not available the geniuses in corporate are using verisign for online accounts, the same folks that cant keep up with talktracker. Jerks from top to bottom.

mba_07 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

90 months ago

Gluestix in South Roxana, Illinois said: Hey I'm in the Sales Manager process right now, I just completed the phone interview and I'm going to my second interview next week. Did you get the job? Are you happy with it? Was the face-to-face interview tough?

If I were you I would think seriously before I did this. As a former sales manager for US Cellular this is the most frequently canned position in the company...you are expected to be the Renaissance person of the store...you fill in for stupid employees who do not show up, you train them, you coach them, you cheer them on, you do everything to keep the store running while your manager goofs off all of the time and takes credit for your stores successes but not the failures and you are also supposed to handle customer issues as well. Oh, let us not forget they also say they like you to your face and then rat you out or tell it all in the dreaded culture survey. I was asked to do all this while getting no actual support from my manager. She fired me and my counterpart at her other store and then was transferred so they could watch her more closely and she was eventually fired also...In the OKC market--there were approximately 25-30 people in mgmt fired within the first 6 months of the year. The dynamic organization that the company supposedly lives by is a strong propaganda tool meant to make everyone think they are in some type of utopia that doesn't exist. Someone on this site said they don't believe Jack Rooney would allow this if he knew and I believe he knows and fully understands but landed on a brilliant camoflouge tool to put a smoke screen between people's natural questioning of corporate policies. They make the employees feel that they are so valued--this may be true at the bottom but I have never met more people who were just talking the talk but were not genuine at all...You find out who your friends are when no one calls you after you are fired.

mba_07 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

90 months ago

Fatso in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: He doesn't even know whats going on. They have him snow blowed and TDS too.

I agree that a bunch of us who have been wronged by the company should try to do something but I do think that by spreading the word on sites like this it has to catch up to them. THe whole company is screwed up and I trusted it all. I think there is a lot of age, looks and personality clash discrimination. If you do not think like everyone else and are positive and upbeat then they find a way to get rid of you. I was a sales manager and the new director of sales asked what kinds of things were bothering us...I mentioned that in our market which was in a more rural part of the state that no additional towers had been added since launch(we started with 7 and still had 7--nearly 3 years later--this lack of towers was severly impacting our ability to really penetrate the market with more power--not too long after that I was gone because they did not want anyone who did not go with the flow. I also question some of their leadership choices. The whole experience has been very difficult to deal with. I started with the company from the bottom and worked 12 hours days at a mall in a kiosk (with no bathroom of our own and no lunch breaks)until our store was built. I have never been fired from a job ever and worked many long hours to make this store and success only to be fired by a little(she really wasn't little)b____who only cared about getting ahead and was very insincere. Sorry, but I am still very bitter about the entire thing especially since I believe all of the people who worked for me also sabotaging me because I believed that it was important to work. Our store had operational excellence for 3 out of 4 quarters because we did a good job. But they fired me and kept her.

90 months ago

while I am quite happy for keeping it real in tulsa, and was quite happy at us cell, I have to agree with you, mba 07. especially the age discrimination thing. when a coach actually SAYs someone is "too old for the team", I think you can be certain there is age discrimination, don't you think

90 months ago

mba_07 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: If I were you I would think seriously before I did this. As a former sales manager for US Cellular this is the most frequently canned position in the company...you are expected to be the Renaissance person of the store...you fill in for stupid employees who do not show up, you train them, you coach them, you cheer them on, you do everything to keep the store running while your manager goofs off all of the time and takes credit for your stores successes but not the failures and you are also supposed to handle customer issues as well. Oh, let us not forget they also say they like you to your face and then rat you out or tell it all in the dreaded culture survey. I was asked to do all this while getting no actual support from my manager. She fired me and my counterpart at her other store and then was transferred so they could watch her more closely and she was eventually fired also...In the OKC market--there were approximately 25-30 people in mgmt fired within the first 6 months of the year. The dynamic organization that the company supposedly lives by is a strong propaganda tool meant to make everyone think they are in some type of utopia that doesn't exist. Someone on this site said they don't believe Jack Rooney would allow this if he knew and I believe he knows and fully understands but landed on a brilliant camoflouge tool to put a smoke screen between people's natural questioning of corporate policies. They make the employees feel that they are so valued--this may be true at the bottom but I have never met more people who were just talking the talk but were not genuine at all...You find out who your friends are when no one calls you after you are fired.

OMG, is that comment about finding out who your friends are right on the money. so is the rest.. tho I HATED management, I was smart enough to realize they were just passing along the stuff they got from folks above them it we all know what rolls downhill!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherrie in Austin, Texas

90 months ago

What a mess! With no job, there is usually no insurance (unless of course you are married), credit card debt abounds, medical bills abound, and everything else in between. I just raided my puny IRA (again) and depleted my savings account. Do you think I need to change course?!

The age discrimination is appalling--all a covert operation, to say the least. How about looks? That could be it too. Whatever it is, I think we all should email and political leaders and have our say with the world of chronic unemployment and no health insurance. Who can get any reasonable counseling for all this insanity?! Oh, by the way, the cost for counseling can be hefty too. Nevermind.

gohanfan01 in franklin, Wisconsin

81 months ago

Here's my wife story. I was in the call center and had some issues, but it's not as bad as what my wife went through.

Anyway, like I said my wife's story is much worse. She also worked for US Cellular, but in one of the stores. about 6 months ago, she and I started trying for a baby. She got pregnant in february, and then lost it. Unfortunately she was too upset about it to go to the doctor until it was too late to find out any kind of cause for it. She highly suspects it was due to a chemical they use to clean the phones, which warns on the label to use in well ventilated areas, which they weren't and all but forced her to be using it. We got confirmation from the dr that the chemical was a possible cause to the miscarriage. She brought it to her managers attention and even offered a couple alternate solutions she got from other stores.

Their solution: let's just move it to a smaller room, but not require her to use it. They said they wouldn't tell anyone what was going on. So after a couple months of nothing else being done, she came into the store with the same chemical out again. There was an email that was sent out that said basically make sure to keep it away from my wife, causing people to start asking what was going on. That was the last straw and she put in her two week notice.

That is the piece of crap that she went through. Through the whole process she was treated like she was crying wolf just to get attention, even though all she was ever asking for was for them to get rid of the chemical. Now we're stuck with her having no job, all because they screwed her over. For anyone that is thinking of applying there, do your homework. We both really liked the company until they started not caring about their employees. The company may work out for others, but it didn't for us.

xela in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

52 months ago

Dear against nepotisim

I found your commnets "Everyone I know that worked there got fired for BS reasons just before the 5 year mark." as very helpful. Do you have some more details on this issue: names, departments, ...

52 months ago

Dear "old lady"
I found your comments about 5 year mark as the very interesting and helpful. Maybe you have some more details: names of people fired, departments, ...

George_S in Miami, Florida

52 months ago

Why do you want that information, xela?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Much ablied in Alexandria, Virginia

52 months ago

Well, as with any job, you are going to have some difficulities, not just Cellular one, I worked at the Knoxville News Sentinel and was laid off after 9 years of great service, none of my friends contacted me after that except for one. It just goes to show nothing is solid or lasts forever, jobs are not as secure as they used to be. The best policty is to go on a job mind your business, do your work and go home. If you see the job is not working out go somewhere else. I now a person that has worked for Cellular for 15 yrs and I know another person that was fired after 10 yrs. You never know but where one door closes God opens another door. Good Luck and God bless, remember a job is just our resource, God is our source.

52 months ago

George_S in Miami, Florida said: Why do you want that information, xela?

Actually I do not need it anymore because this forum already has a lot of facts about USCellular that match my own experience with this company. Sorry about that. I am wondering why people do not try to sue the company on different discrimination charges.

Sage in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

52 months ago

xela in Buffalo Grove, Illinois said: Actually I do not need it anymore because this forum already has a lot of facts about USCellular that match my own experience with this company. Sorry about that. I am wondering why people do not try to sue the company on different discrimination charges.

Some have tried, but a former manager came forward on these board and pretty much confirmed that the lawyers for USCC will do what they can -including altering and twisting information around- to prevent you from taking them to court.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Thank you. Does it mean that company's lawyers can change documentation related to employee's profile?

Sage in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

52 months ago

That I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. You may want to ask Michael Edwards. He was the manager who came here and dropped this bombshell on us. If you fish around here through a couple other threads you'll find his posts.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.