They take your time up and leave you hanging.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

firestar in Sharpsburg, Maryland

97 months ago

Beware, they will waste your time. If you want a job with these people you can plan to take 6 weeks of your time, without pay to possibly not even get a job. They will interview you repeatly, ask you to spend a day testing, interview you some more and then...then ... they might call you...or not...I know, that's what they did to me, too. I believe you need to be young and tacky to get a job here, that is all you will see in all of their stores.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

time not well wasted

91 months ago

I was on an interview with US Cellular that went well. I met with a senior, manager, and directory in my prospective department. I spent over 3 hours with the three of them and sent follow up letters to thank them for their time. None of them, not even the HR person I was in touch with, had the professionalism to respond back about the position being filled by other candidates or an interest. Although I've seen other positions I am qualified for in the organization I would never apply at US Cellular again because prior to my interview I heard they interview you and never contact you again. Their reputation certainly does preceed them and rightfully so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

old lady in Watertown, Wisconsin

91 months ago

You probably showed you could think for yourself... thats why they didn't hire you. Believe me, you are better off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Knoxhockey in North Carolina

89 months ago

I love all the people that seem to cry about US Cellular. Don't believe all the haters. There is truth to the cult ways of the DO, I will not deny that at all. But don't get on here and cry because it was hard to get a job or that you were over qualified and they were scared. That's just plain dumb. It took me quite a while to get hired on so I understand the frustration with that whole process. You should be looking for other jobs anyway if you're unemployed and not just at one place. I'm not a DO cheerleader and I actually think it's all pretty silly. On the other hand they pay good for what you do and provide excellant benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A fellow in Redding, California

89 months ago

In just doing some research on USCC the last few days I find it interesting the number of complaints from former employees from just a few locations. About 90% of the complaints that I can find listed on the internet originate from what appears to be either 2 or 3 different market areas. Since 95% of employees in USCC rate it as an "Excellent" place to work, I wonder if certain regions are much worse than others. I am contemplating a job with USCC on the west coast and so far I have found no positive or negative comments from this region. It does seem likely that people are castigating the company based upon their experiences in a single location which may not fully represent the entire company. It seems that whether you are leaving comments or reading comments from former employees one should keep in mind that it may not represent the experience most people have with the company.
After all, I have had good food and a good experience at one location of a particular restaurant and bad food and a bad experience and an almost identical branch of the same restaurant in a different town. Since coporate culture definitely trickle down, it is possible that a regional VP of a particular region is dysfuntional and it permeates that particular region.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

glad Im not there anymore in Beloit, Wisconsin

89 months ago

well, I have seen comments from former employees in all the call centers. Waukesha, Nashville, Bollingbrook, Tusla and Cedar Rapids. I doubt nay other call centers have been built since I left. The call center in Wshington or Oregon was closed some years before I left, so that would explain a lot aobut why there are no comments from the west coast As for sales, you are right, I haven't seen any comments that come from out west that I recall.
As to why US Cell receives good employer awards, I think you need to ask what the criteria for those awards is? Nonone denies that they have some great benetits. I can tell you that in my nearly 7 years with the company in Waukesha, never once was I or anyone I knew surveyed by an award presenter about working at US Cell. I can tell you I just spoke to someone who is still in the Waukesha call center 2 days ago, and they say the ones who are no longer with the company are now considered the "lucky people". Since you must be going into sales or tech if you are on the weat coast, and many of the comments on here come from customer service call centers, that may also explain the lack of comments from the west coast. In any case, it sounds like you are doing a good job reserching the company, so my advice is to take everything with a grain of salt, but take those awards with a whole box of salt. As for corporate culture tricklling down, what trickles down from the national corporate office in Chicago is "pocket handkerchief" mentality. -- all show and no blow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Knoxhockey in North Carolina

89 months ago

Another thing to consider is the nature of the job you're complaining about. Customer service in a call center is a tough and stressful job. Nobody calls in to tell you you're the greatest and they love you. I think 7yrs in any call center for any company would not be easy. I did it for about a year before moving to retail and I can say if it wasn't for position change I would have been gone in no time. Honestly if I had stayed at the call center I might be singing the same tune as some of the others. My point is to consider the nature of the job as well as the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

glad Im not there anymore in Janesville, Wisconsin

89 months ago

and definitely consider the market/type of customer you are serving. Knoxhockey is right about the call center being stressful, but then again, I sure wouldn't have wanted to face some of those customers face to face, either. I remember one guy from a small town in Wisconsin who became so violent toward a sales rep at some type of fair that the competition actually called the police for him. Im glad I only had to deal with this guy over the phone, even if it was at 6 in the morning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Needajob now in Romeoville, Illinois

89 months ago

I received a Phone interview in early July I was told i came highly recommended for the position I applied to. The recruiter even gave me the salary range. he then told me I would receive a call from the HR interview scheduler to arrange a onsite interview.

A month goes by and out of the blue the phone rings and the want to schedule an appointment in two days or else.

I go to the meeting, show up on time and spend 2 hours discussing my qualifications. at the end I get we'll call you in one week.

That was two weeks ago...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Needajob now in Romeoville, Illinois said: I received a Phone interview in early July I was told i came highly recommended for the position I applied to. The recruiter even gave me the salary range. he then told me I would receive a call from the HR interview scheduler to arrange a onsite interview.

A month goes by and out of the blue the phone rings and the want to schedule an appointment in two days or else.

I go to the meeting, show up on time and spend 2 hours discussing my qualifications. at the end I get we'll call you in one week.

That was two weeks ago...

Update*******

I call the hiring mgr for an update-Voicemail. No return call so I call the HR Department. I'm on hold for 22.5 minutes for her to come back and say " Ummmmm, you gotta call this other HR rep for feedback. Yeah right

I'll never call again. If they want me they know where to find me...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

In the Market in Wood Dale, Illinois

89 months ago

I am in the interviewing process with USCC Chicago right now. Had two phone interivews within two weeks time. They are trying to schedule a face-to-face within a weeks time.

I started researching the company a little more in depth and found this string. "need a job now" what were you interviewing for? Which HR Rep were you working with?

I don't like what I'm hearing but so far it has been a good experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

In the Market in Wood Dale, Illinois said: I am in the interviewing process with USCC Chicago right now. Had two phone interivews within two weeks time. They are trying to schedule a face-to-face within a weeks time.

I started researching the company a little more in depth and found this string. "need a job now" what were you interviewing for? Which HR Rep were you working with?

I don't like what I'm hearing but so far it has been a good experience.

I talked to a Kevin and Michelle. I interviewed for a resource analyst position. I'm sure you'll do well. it just seems out of character for company that is big on customer service to treat potential candidates like yesterday's news. Are you working at HSBC now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

keepin_it_real in Tulsa, Oklahoma

86 months ago

Here is my response from Tulsa, Oklahoma. I needed a job. I called the "job line" and had a phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. I was called the next day and was invited to go into the call center for a face to face interview. I went to the interview on time, took a computer test, and was interviewed by two supervisors. I was called within the week and got the job, but I had to go back to the call center to get paperwork for a drug test which of course I passed. I've been with the company for several years now and I've enjoyed every minute of it. A lot of associates in the building have been with the company in excess of 10 years. Working there is like having an extended family. We laugh, joke, and get through the day with each other. Just do your job and follow the FCC privacy policy and you can retire there if you want to. In Tulsa, a Customer Service Rep starts out at about $11.67 per hour and you get a bonus every three months ranging from $600 to $1,200. I have never received less than a 5% yearly raise since I've been there. At no point ever have I feared I would lose my job. The benefits are very competitive to what other call centers pay in that you get great Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage. They offer a wonderful 401K savings plan, a pension, and a free cell phone account with unlimited free minutes. You get a private desk with locking drawers, you can listen to a radio at your desk, there is food brought in or pot lucks every week. Basically, I am doing what I'm paid to do and I love it there. Yes, the job can be stressful, but it can't compare to roofing a house in the middle of summer (trust me). Since the same "ex-employees" seem to be the only ones telling you how bad U.S. Cellular is, consider the source. There are 900 employees working in the building where I work and everyone there is happy and blessed to be working for such a great company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe in Janesville, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Im truly glad that you are happy, but, take my word for it, all 900 people there are not. I talked to many of them, especially the reso team when I worked in Waukesha. As far as the only ones telling you how bad us cell is being former employees, I cant speak for tulsa, but when I see my former coworkers, they all express envy that I am free of the "golden shackles"(their term, not mine)that is, that most of us here in Wisconsin cant find other jobs that will pay as well. Im working thru that right now, and yeah, its tough not making the money I made, but its nice to hear how relaxed and happy I look when I run into people still working there. I remember the good ol days when I started with US Cell and while I miss those days, and all the decent people who worked there then, Im delighted that I no longer have to put up with the hypocrisy and back stabbing that existed in the last year that I was there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Apples1 in clarendon hills, Illinois

81 months ago

I feel you in a sense was there at the Bolingbrook center for a while but honey I have nothing awful to say but there tactics for how the deal with associates issues are wack especially some of the phony coaches that I have encountered who smile in your face, cheer you on say they will do what they can and then later when you ask or followup cause they haven't provided any feedback they don't know what's going on and then you simply are like forget it or see how phony they are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Isitreally in Chicago, Illinois

81 months ago

Apples, It sounds like you worked in Bolingbrook. I want some real insight into the call center in IL. It seems like a messed up environment. What is the real deal. Is the job for kids ? Can you go in do the job, leave and stay uninvolved? I hate office politics and BS stopping the simple functions of offering customer service to customers. I applied and am going on an interview soon. Im too real to deal with in-your-face BS, so if I take this job temporarily i want to be out of sight, out of mine. Ive worked in a call centers for years so I know how the turnover rate and hating/being fearful of management works. Any real suggestions. I ask only because it seems like the upset ex-employees liked it before they ran into issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

if you have a choice, take something else, thats what I would advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I understand how they treated you Jane, so I understand where you are coming from. I accepted a job today making $17.05 (w/a bank). This position is more laid back, and the company is not a stickler on time. But I have to tell you about my interview. They train these people like robots. My first orientation session this woman told us an outrages story about the CEO. Needless to say nobody believed her, and we all commented after our assessments. It seemed exactly as you described pumping you up just to let you down. The call center was like this strange candyland themed set up with colors and balloons all over ( plus streetsigns with names of candy all over) I can see both sides, but it seemed a little psycho for a professional to work in ChuckE Cheese, I mean WTF! Everyone who spoke to my group kept talking about how wonderful they are as a company. I kept thinking yeah, this is the fake exterior you guys put on but once you are in, it all goes up in smoke. Anyway I have like 7 yrs call-center/management experience and although the person that interviewed me on the second occasion saw this on my resume and i described detailed call center scenarios, like the time matrix supervisor go off of to make sure the call volume is covered. I also mention how monitorings go. I actully described there monitoring layout by section litterally because my last callcenter job had the exact same scale sheet. She still explained it to me like a child. I was truly insulted. Then had the nerve to try to act coy about the job offer. My interviewer had to be a well trained company robot because the whole experience seemed condescending. They play nice to keep the company image looking good but really they obviously treat employees like children from just the decor of the place. Did anyone ever feel silly sitting around all that BS at the desk & colors everywhere?

80 months ago

ah, yes, the candy land theme....I remember the contest for picking the theme. don't blame me, I sent in suggestions for Illinois rivers, famous Illinoisians and Illinois cities. The Waukesha building theme was "games". I mostly remember the God awful purple wall. You are right, the childish candy theme is supposed to make you think it is a fun place to work. But you know what? We had way more fun back in the old Waukesha building with the sorry elevator, and the ceiling that caved in. Thats because Jack and crew hadn't gotten their evil claws into us yet. If they want to be honest with their candyland theme in Bollingbrook, they'd paint everything brown to represent a chocolate covered turd. Looks fine on the outside, but under that thin coating, boy, do things stink!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Me being a proud Chicagoan that would have been a great idea !

80 months ago

Im a flatlander, too, relocated to Wisconsin

Stacy in Joliet, Illinois

76 months ago

I have been going through the hiring process at Bolingbrook for 3 mths now, and finaly recieved a cal yesterday to pick which of 2 classes I wanted to be signed up for. So the only thinf I have left is the entry interview and the drug test. My question to you is regarding the drug test...... I take anxiety medication that I do not want them to know about. I know with the hair test it won't help if I stopped now but if it's a urine test I can not take it for a couple of days and no one is the wiser. I know they all say that they only check for street drugs but I don't believe that, can you tell me if they did hair or urine?

76 months ago

while I wish you the best of luck, I question whether working for this company is a good choice for someone already on an antianxiety med. I don't say this to be mean, but the 3 month hiring process should probably be indicating something to you. You haven't started working for this company, yet you are already afraid they will find out about your personal health history, and apparently too frightened of the company to simply ask what type of test will be administered. You do have a right to ask, after all, if its a urine test, you don't want to pee right before you go. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unfairly treated in Saint Louis, Missouri

72 months ago

I'm looking for anyone who is currently employed or no longer employed by US Cellular and believe they were unfairly treated by management. Anyone who feels they were dismissed unfairly and had the D.O used as an excuse for their dismissal or anyone who feels they are treated harsh and being pushed out the door. Please reply to this message!!! Let me know what has or is happening asap!!!!!!!

72 months ago

look thru these threads and see..my story is this. At the help desk at the time, we sent in exceptions as to why we weren't running right on schedule - to the minute. I was like 2 minutes late logging off my phone for break, and made that notation on my list. Imagine my surprise when I returned to my desk to finish my break and heard voices on my phone, I'd hit the wrong button twice, because I was writing down the darn 2 minute exception. I logged in and took the call, then logged back out properly and finished my break. Well, my coach was out of the office for a couple of days, and had told us he wouldn't be entering exceptions till he got back, so I sent a couple of days worth on Friday afternoon. I just went down the list I'd written. I got on Monday, and found the note I'd made about the logging off the phone wrong, and thought to myself, oh, shoot, I didn't send this, just sent the original 2 minute exception. Gotta take care of that. Got on an escalated call, noted the call, started an email to my coach to explain what happened, it wasn't really a big deal, this type of thing happened a lot..next thing I know, I'm getting fired for doing something with my stats, I forget the term they used. Also brought up was that.. get this.. I walked the wrong way to the printer... come to find out I was using the printer my boss, who had been looking for a reason to fire me had told me to use, rather than the one that was closer to my desk but frequently malfunctioned. The person who witnessed my firing was a former coach of mine who told me to do something one month, then put me on a written warning for doing it the next. This coach also shared lots of confidential information with me as to why various people had been fired, including the former center director, who by the way, had hired me. The snitch the firing coach used to put a spin on my honest mistake was a guy who once showed up to work so hungover he had to go home. see next comment

72 months ago

contd from janedow.. 2 weeks after I was fired, the guy sitting next to me, who'd won a national service award just 2 months previously was fired for something he'd done 3 years ago, and he'd done it with the permission of his then coach, who did acknowledge he'd given permission, but stated he couldn't push too hard, because he was afraid he'd lose HIS job. The snitch in this case was a married man who went home sick a couple of times to have an affair with another employee. This snitch was told by the same coach who fired me and the gentleman sitting next to me, that the gentleman was "too old for the team" we were both in our 50's. Unfair? try ILLEGAL. Frankly, getting fired from US HELL was the best thing that could have happened, and if you really are a former employee, I hope you come to see it that way, too. If you happen to be management trying to "trap people", let me just say, it seems to me that you are left with exactly the kind of employees you deserve, drunks, cheats, and people with no sense of loyalty or morality. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

uscellwkr in Knoxville, Tennessee

71 months ago

Basically, I am doing what I'm paid to do and I love it there. Yes, the job can be stressful, but it can't compare to roofing a house in the middle of summer (trust me). Since the same "ex-employees" seem to be the only ones telling you how bad U.S. Cellular is, consider the source. There are 900 employees working in the building where I work and everyone there is happy and blessed to be working for such a great company.

I have worked at the call center for over 3 years and not everyone is happy. The benefits are good, but that is the only reason they have people at this job. I agree with all the other comments that its a "cult" like atmosphere. Where 19 yr old people who have been there 6 months can become your coach and know less that all of the people on their team. Where managers hide behind their titles and basically do nothing until its time to fire someone. Where all of the leadership team band together any time there is an issue and their "open-door" policy is slammed in your face. I also agree with the comments about not conforming to what everyone else thinks. If you have a different opinion from your leaders, you are "flagged". After that, good luck trying to get any where in this company. They will find a way to knock you down every step of the way. I did like this job in the beginning, but now, its all I can do to show up anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

uscellwkr in Knoxville, Tennessee

71 months ago

I have worked at the call center for over 3 years and not everyone is happy. The benefits are good, but that is the only reason they have people at this job. I agree with all the other comments that its a "cult" like atmosphere. Where 19 yr old people who have been there 6 months can become your coach and know less that all of the people on their team. Where managers hide behind their titles and basically do nothing until its time to fire someone. Where all of the leadership team band together any time there is an issue and their "open-door" policy is slammed in your face. I also agree with the comments about not conforming to what everyone else thinks. If you have a different opinion from your leaders, you are "flagged". After that, good luck trying to get any where in this company. They will find a way to knock you down every step of the way. I did like this job in the beginning, but now, its all I can do to show up anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

dont worry uscellwkr from knoxville, Im sure you will be walked out soon... in the mean time, remember to send every email you receive to your home address, or print it, even if its just your coach saying good morning. Here's to hoping your moment of freedom comes soon
Jane Doe, now an LPN - there's life after hell

Mngmentsux in chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

unfairly treated in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I'm looking for anyone who is currently employed or no longer employed by US Cellular and believe they were unfairly treated by management. Anyone who feels they were dismissed unfairly and had the D.O used as an excuse for their dismissal or anyone who feels they are treated harsh and being pushed out the door. Please reply to this message!!! Let me know what has or is happening asap!!!!!!!

ok so i work at uscellular as an rwc and i hate management staff. i feel that coming into work with the manager on duity, that im walking on ice. i as well as my coworkers feel that we do get treated unfairly.

71 months ago

that would be thin ice with hot skates, right?

70 months ago

yes, the ice with skates... and as mentioned, i just got fired from working as an rwc... fuk us cellular!

70 months ago

mngmentsux -- I am correct in thinking that rwc does mean RETAIL wireless consulsant, right? or some type of sales? Some folks believe that it is just call centers that blow with this company

neko in Illinois

70 months ago

well I was hired by us cellular. and I love it. I worked for a cell phone provider before for 3 years and they treated the employees horribly. us cellular did not give me the run around i took the test and went through two interviews and was offered a position within a week.any time i needed to speak with anyone there and had to leave a message in the voicemail box they got back to me the same day. everyone i have had contact with were very professional and friendly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

neko in Illinois said: well I was hired by us cellular. and I love it. I worked for a cell phone provider before for 3 years and they treated the employees horribly. us cellular did not give me the run around i took the test and went through two interviews and was offered a position within a week.any time i needed to speak with anyone there and had to leave a message in the voicemail box they got back to me the same day. everyone i have had contact with were very professional and friendly.

what store are you working @? chicago evanston? if you dont mine me asking.

70 months ago

Jane Doe in Janesville, Wisconsin said: mngmentsux -- I am correct in thinking that rwc does mean RETAIL wireless consulsant, right? or some type of sales? Some folks believe that it is just call centers that blow with this company

yes rwc does mean retail wireless con. and nope the whole company blows.. the employees are great people, but the management micro manage you... everything you do is WRONG!. one "miss up" and "they will have to follow up with you." because they have to reach out to see what actions they can take to punish you... So if you have no personality and love being told what to do and how to do it.. then US cellular is the place to be.

70 months ago

well, I didn't so much mind being told what to do or how to do it, but when I got my past evaluations after being terminated, and compared them to written summaries of recent side by sides I found I was being praised for the exact same actions as my current coach was constantly complaining about. I say go ahead and tell me how to do it, but don't forget what you told me... such as which printer I should use. otherwise, you will look pretty stupid when you fire me for walking the "wrong way to the printer", when I was walking the RIGHT way to the printer you instructed me to use.

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa

64 months ago

LMAO at some of the post. You just got hired of course you are gonna love it! We all did when we first got hired.
Let us know how much you love it in a year, 2yrs ( life expectancy avereage person)-3yrs (considered a possible lifer)-4-5- if you make it, Try being there 10-15 years then you can tell us how much it has changed and how bad it has gotten.
Some of us had been there for many many years and watched all the changes. Watch the best of the best being let go. Ask how many 10-15 yr tenured employees are still there. Not many I am sure. They all knew what it was like when it was the good ole days when things really mattered.
Dont get me wrong I hope you are successful,
The pay is good the benefits are good. Thank God for the medical cause you will need it to deal with all the stress.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa said: LMAO at some of the post. You just got hired of course you are gonna love it! We all did when we first got hired.
Let us know how much you love it in a year, 2yrs ( life expectancy avereage person)-3yrs (considered a possible lifer)-4-5- if you make it, Try being there 10-15 years then you can tell us how much it has changed and how bad it has gotten.
Some of us had been there for many many years and watched all the changes. Watch the best of the best being let go. Ask how many 10-15 yr tenured employees are still there. Not many I am sure. They all knew what it was like when it was the good ole days when things really mattered.
Dont get me wrong I hope you are successful,
The pay is good the benefits are good. Thank God for the medical cause you will need it to deal with all the stress.

you got that right, I remember hiding in a conference room crying on my phone to my doctor to increase my lexapro

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.