How to get a job at U.S. Cellular.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Host

Do you work at U.S. Cellular? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

cobey rucker in Durant, Oklahoma

113 months ago

i need a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

against nepotisim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

109 months ago

Unless you fit into one of the clicks in the company, you'll last about 3 years tops before they find a reason to get rid of you and avoid having to pay out any type of pension. This is a company that isn't worth your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LUZ HERNANDEZ in Chicago, Illinois

109 months ago

I AM INTERESTED IN JOING YOUR CREW TO PROVIDE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE I AM A VERY RESPONSIBLE PERSON LOOKING TO BETTER MY EXPERIENCE.PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL AT [Edited by Host] Contact info deleted

Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DeRee in Maryville, Tennessee

108 months ago

against nepotisim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Unless you fit into one of the clicks in the company, you'll last about 3 years tops before they find a reason to get rid of you and avoid having to pay out any type of pension. This is a company that isn't worth your time.

This is so true. My first year there was awesome. I did what I was told, without question and far exceeded in every performance rating. My second year, was great too, I was still exceeding in my job performance and followed orders. I was there just over 2 years before I decided I wanted to try for promotions, I was promoted at my first attempt due to such high ratings and "enthusiasm for the company and the D.O." However, as a supervisor, I began to question things I was told to do, and started to fall out of the mold they had created. 2 years and 8 months in, I was still performing to their expectations, yet, suddenly, my "attitude" was not "D.O." enough and I was placed on corrective action when I spoke out against inappropriate comments by my superiors. They didn't have enough to fire me, but sure made life miserable enough to make me quit. Which I did, and I have been so happy I did. US Cellular is only for mindless people who are willing to be blind sheep and lemmings falling off the cliff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

glad Im not there anymore in Janesville, Wisconsin

107 months ago

A couple long time managers from Waukesha got fired when they dared to say they dared to support employees who felt being told to "put up with abusive blaming and name calling of get out" wasn't exactly "dynamic".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

staggerlee in Bloomington, Illinois

102 months ago

I am currently weighing offers between Hewitt and US Cellular? I was impressed by the Cell people I interviewed with but this message board has me very concerned. Any additional information from current or former employees of either would be helpful -- I hope this isn't just disgruntled ex-employees bashing US Cellular but these comments are hard to ignore in my decision-making process. I need to decide within 24 hours!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe in Janesville, Wisconsin

102 months ago

you don't say what job you would be doing at us cellular, and this DOES make a difference, as does WHERE you would be working. By Hewitt, do you mean down in the Vernon Hills, Libertyville area? Im from Waukegan originally, and I'd always heard that hewitt was a good company to work for, but I have no real knowledge of them for sure. If the job is at the call center in Waukesha, WI, or in Bolingbrook, IL, I'd go with Hewitt instead. As for former employees bashing us cell, I still talk to people who work at the call center in Waukesha, they have even worse things to say about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

staggerlee in Bloomington, Illinois

102 months ago

Thank you for the reply Jane. I did in fact accept the offer with Hewitt yesterday. It seems that no matter what company I looked up in these types of forums, there was something negative to say about it so it's really up to the candidate to go with their gut feeling when it's all said and done. That said, I still appreciate your response and input. The position at US Cellular would have been in information systems at the Bensenville location--during the interviews they REALLY emphasized the work culture there, almost more so than the job qualifications. That struck me as a bit of a red flag. With Hewitt, I'll have the same type of role but will be able to telecommute (i.e. work from home but occasionally travel to the home office in Lincolnshire and third party vendors) and have slightly better pay so I guess on paper it really was a no-brainer decision. I still wanted to make sure I found out as much about both companies from these types of forums so thanks again! It was very hard telling US Cell "no thanks" (they definitely pressured me for an immediate decision) but I feel like I made the right choice.

102 months ago

I hope you will be happy there, and certainly with the price of gas, the ability to telecommute is important! I think you were wise to realize that all that talk about work culture was exactly that.. talk. I think that is why so many former employees get so very disgusted with US Cellular. The actual culture there is one of fear and uncertainty. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

WOW - Im suprised at your honesty, but not about you threatening, coercing and terminating anyone you found a threat. Your actions are representative of the real us cell culture, and I can only wish that the folks who said all us former us cell employees were a bunch of whiners who couldn't accept the fact that we were terminated for just cause will read this. My coach had told me he felt intimidated coaching people with more seniority than him. He also admits to "very liberal" political views, and told another employee he felt a gentleman in his late 50's was too old for the team. So, you won't be suprised to learn that the late 50's gentleman and I, who were both conservative Bible readers, were terminated for trumped up reasons. Anyway, it sounds like you are on the road to becoming a better person.. I hope things start looking up for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Puddin Tane in Oklahoma, Oklahoma

100 months ago

I'll note I'm in the company, in good standing, disagree with my leader, his leader and his leader often but do so respectfully and find that they treat me the same...have received comments that my input, while not always used, is helpful in their decision making processes, I don't get EE or FE on my annual reviews, but I'd like to, but I work hard to do my best every day. I don't pretend to know the mind of my CEO beyond the requirement to do the right thing for the customer. I have advanced degrees and a famiy and earn a fair wage. I am proud of what I do, how I do it and the folks I work with day in and day out. I have been at the company more than a year and less than 10 years. I like to believe that we could be a more diverse company than we are, but we are also working on that....like so many other things. We are not the biggest, but we love our customers. I don't have many friends at work but I respect everyone I work together with and if the day comes along that the company determines that I am, for whatever reason, no longer adding value to the company, I will respect their decision and we will part ways and I will go find another opportunity. I'm hoping that day never comes, but I don't control the universe, only what I choose to do. So in the event that my time at USCellular ends, I will do a great deal of things, but the one thing I won't ever do is get on a website and cackle on about all the ills of a place that once thought I could add value - enough to let me in the door for a while - and pontificate and crawl in the self pity that appears to be fairly common among the undeservedly unemployed who count USCell among previous employers. Why wouldnt I? Because I like to think I'm a little more responsible for my situation. I would like to think I would look at myself first and not fall into the easy trap of the victim mentality....but that is, after all, the easy way out and that's the sort of lure a weak mind is unable to avoid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

While Im truly happy that you are happy, I find your judgemental attitude offensive.. Allow me to point out that you ARE pontificating about something that has not happened to you, so do NOT be so certain of how you would or wouldn't react if/when the situation comes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

I don't know about needing to be at your level, Michael, to understand how USCC operates, I got a pretty good taste of it in the last 2 years I was there, with the crowning touch being the day I was walked out the door. I must say though, your original postings really opened my eyes to the depth of the cancer and corruption in the company. Let me understand something, do you take pride in "eliminating alot of individuals in the west region" because they were bad people or poor employees(really) or because you still take pride in having had the power to destroy people's careers? PLEASE tell me its the former reason. Despite my experience, Im still a Pollyanna at heart, and want to believe that EVEN evil uscc management types can be reformed. Some of us crazy peons never learn, do we?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lms731 in Vermont

100 months ago

I am currently thinking about applying for a sales rep (I think its called) job at US Cellular... it's within a car dealership they need a sales associate and i as just wondering what the job would entail, what on average people make, what stinks about it, etc... do they give u a phone? any benefits? ANY input would be appreciated!!!!

Zolette Mishka in South Holland, Illinois

94 months ago

[I am interested in joining your call center for customer service rep in boolingbrook or other areas in Illinois I would like to fill out an online application.

Thank you.

Zo Mishka

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

current RWC in Knoxville, Tennessee

73 months ago

StaggerLee in Bloomington, Illinois said: I am currently weighing offers between Hewitt and US Cellular? I was impressed by the Cell people I interviewed with but this message board has me very concerned. Any additional information from current or former employees of either would be helpful -- I hope this isn't just disgruntled ex-employees bashing US Cellular but these comments are hard to ignore in my decision-making process. I need to decide within 24 hours!

I hope you made the right descision and went with uscellular. US Cellular is one of the best companies out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

current RWC in Knoxville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Wow all these comments are trully dissapointing. I have worked in three different martkets for us cellular. I have worked in sales and in the call center and it is by far the best company to work for. US Cellular has high expectations you can either choose to let those expectations grow you or you can fight against them and eventually leave the company. Its your choice. The culture is real. I have seen upper management do things like personally drive pay checks 600 miles to their proper location so people would get their pay on time. This is a current VP of the company! I drive 2 hours to work for uscellular at the moment, because I cant imagine working for anyone else. I have worked for many companies before USCC and no one cares about you. At USCC they do care. I have friends who work for Verizon and ATT and when we compare stories they all wish they had the opportunity to work for USCC. Its a shame USCC is being misrepresented on here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jane Doe in madison, Wisconsin

73 months ago

Im glad you are happy, BUT PLEASE realize that the experiences of the "disgruntled" employees on here are every bit as VALID as your good ones are. I am NOT labelling you as a company boy(or girl) nor calling you a brown noser, etc, so please do NOT imply that those of us who were mistreated didn't want to meet us cellulars "high expectations". I've said it a million times, but I will say this again so it is clear to you. The VERY SAME THINGS I WAS PRAISED FOR ONE ONE REVIEW, I WAS WRITTEN UP FOR 6 MONTHS LATER. YES, I HAVE IT IN WRITING. As for your vp who hand delivered a paycheck, I bet that there is more to the story. Here's a story for you. The man sitting next to me was given in national customer service excellence award(ICE) for driving call records to someone in his community on his own time, as the gentleman needed them for a court case the very next day. TWo months later, the same guy was fired for something he did 3 years prior - with his bosses permission. I have personal knowledge of the call that got him the ice award AND the action that they used to fire him(I actually relayed the message from our boss to the fired rep to go ahead and add the minutes to the account) So, we've all said this over and over and over again. but one more time. IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR JOB AT US CELL, GREAT, WONDERFUL, ETC, BUT IF YOU ARE, THAT DOESN'T MAKE OUR EXPERIENCES ANY LESS VALID, AND IF IT IS SO WONDERFUL, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THIS SITE?
By the way, IM only here cuz I was clearing my history section and saw this, and couldn't resist. My life has marched on nicely, thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

current RWC in Knoxville TN in Tulsa, Oklahoma

73 months ago

I was only here because I googled uscellular and this is one of the sites that poped up. I do this frequently to see what people have to say about my company. I usually find good things this was the first time I found bad things. I am happy with my Job and have no intentions on leaving it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

melimel in Sevierville, Tennessee

48 months ago

In 2008 I flew from Fort Lauderdale to Knoxville for an interview with US Celluar due to relocation. The interview I thought went very well, after a month I still heard nothing from the person that interviewed me. I'm fully bilingual with over 18 years years providing customer service etc. Up until this day I have continued to submitt my resume (total:8) and I can't believe how I'm overlooked by this company. I sometimes wonder if US Cellular profiles potential candiates by doing a background check first for apearances to profile us first. I will say when I toured the facility I did not see any diversity what so ever, if you know what I mean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kong2rolle@*****.*** in Reston, Virginia

38 months ago

current RWC in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Wow all these comments are trully dissapointing. I have worked in three different martkets for us cellular. I have worked in sales and in the call center and it is by far the best company to work for. US Cellular has high expectations you can either choose to let those expectations grow you or you can fight against them and eventually leave the company. Its your choice. The culture is real. I have seen upper management do things like personally drive pay checks 600 miles to their proper location so people would get their pay on time. This is a current VP of the company! I drive 2 hours to work for uscellular at the moment, because I cant imagine working for anyone else. I have worked for many companies before USCC and no one cares about you. At USCC they do care. I have friends who work for Verizon and ATT and when we compare stories they all wish they had the opportunity to work for USCC. Its a shame USCC is being misrepresented on here.

I am also very shocked at some of these comments! i worked for US Cellular for over 14 years and was by far the best Company i have ever worked for. I was there during Jack Rooney time, i worked in the east with wonderful leaders like Conrad Hunter and Tom Catani we live the DO! and was proud of the work we did. My market was sold to ATT back in 2003 and i can tell you US Cell stood out above both ATT and what was then Cingular

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.