U.S. Cellular Interview Questions.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Host

It's always hard to know what to expect when going in for that interview -- and preparation can make all the difference. What is the interview process like at U.S. Cellular?

Any advice on striking the right note?

Reply - Report abuse

USCC in Tuttle, Oklahoma

90 months ago

The interview process at USCC is a PBI (performance-based interview). You will be asked a series of questions related to the position which you are applying. If you are going for a sales position you will be asked about specific cusotomer situations, customer service, multi-tasking, time management, etc. You will need to recite specific examples for each question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

old lady in Beloit, Wisconsin

90 months ago

if you know of anyone currently working there, they can get a copy of the questions that might be asked for any particular postion. Unless things are changed, they are either on the olr or in public folders. these terms should make sense to anyone who works there. I guess the question I would ask is why do you want to work therea after reading all these comments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dont TripSTL in Saint Louis, Missouri

90 months ago

You know U.S Cellular is full of s***, because they basically lead me on be making me think i was hired and then didnt call me back for the last interview. I think they are not so big on hiring blacks. But anyway I dont give a he** about not gettin' hired!! They make you go into a pea-sized room and answer almost 200 questions that's stored on a cheap ass laptop and then ask you about 20 to 30 more in the 1st interview. So then you have 2 more interviews to go and thats a another 60 more questions you have to answer to. So much before you can even get hired. The corporate office for u.s. cellular is all the way in earth city, so just think about when they waste your time going back and forth to the damn interviews that far, wasting precious gas, and at the last minute you dont even get hired. That's Bulls***!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

old lady in Beloit, Wisconsin

90 months ago

I don't know about blacks, but I can promise you gays dont last long. Of course, there's always some other reason, but most that I have seen are gone. Most of the black coaches I've known about were fired pretty quickly from my call center, too, now that I think about it.. you are definitely better off not working for them. Im neither black nor gay, but I sure don't see how they can claim to be diverse when I think of their hiring/firing practices.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

against nepotisim in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

89 months ago

If you want to strike the right note, don't bother. Yes it's a job, for a while. But they find a way to make you constantly fear losing that job, even if you're preforming above everyone else. If you're intelligent, don't bother. They will make you "communicate to the lowest common denominator" all of the time, and that means using very small words with everyone, lest you offend someone by being intelligent. If you can handle that, then get ready to find a new job after 3 years, give or take, because they don't want you to get vested in the company and have to pay you a pension. They will find a reason to get rid of you before that happens, unless you fit in with one of the clicks in the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

trailblazer78 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

88 months ago

They go to extreme lengths to hire people only to preach all of this stuff and then ultimately fire people. I watched a lot of abuse of expense accounts(group outings where 600.00-700.00 spent for a group of 10 or so to eat dinner) and time worked and not worked at least in the mid management group. My manager had to drive between locations and when the other sales manager and I knew she was up to no good and that we could trust each other we started keeping track and she had a lot of unaccounted for time--so much for ethical behavior. I guess I enjoyed my stint with corporate America but I never felt like I fit in and could not be myself. They want rah-rah cheerleader types that will blindly do whatever instead of the open honest communication that they preach that they want you to give. BS!I am sure some people enjoy their time but most of the people that I know of that still work there have engaged in some unethical behavior along the way to be able to stay. There are a few that haven't but they will eventually find a way to get rid of them. Sorry to be so jaded but when you give a job your all and help build up a business only to be tossed away when you are not needed by a cutthroat leaves a bad taste in your mouth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gander in Madison, Wisconsin

86 months ago

US Cellular has to be THE WORST cell phone carrier in the world (and i thought sprint was). First they refuse to fix my motorola phone when it's under warranty and then they claim they won't fix it after the year is up. Last time i went i was booted out of their store. They called the police. While i had a nice conversation with the police it was all a waste of time. I will NEVER do business with Sprint OR US cellular EVER again.

Dont TripSTL in Saint Louis, Missouri said: You know U.S Cellular is full of s***, because they basically lead me on be making me think i was hired and then didnt call me back for the last interview. I think they are not so big on hiring blacks. But anyway I dont give a he** about not gettin' hired!! They make you go into a pea-sized room and answer almost 200 questions that's stored on a cheap ass laptop and then ask you about 20 to 30 more in the 1st interview. So then you have 2 more interviews to go and thats a another 60 more questions you have to answer to. So much before you can even get hired. The corporate office for u.s. cellular is all the way in earth city, so just think about when they waste your time going back and forth to the damn interviews that far, wasting precious gas, and at the last minute you dont even get hired. That's Bulls***!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

wow you all are negative in Chicago, Illinois

86 months ago

I've worked for us cellular for 5 years and every part of it has been amazing. The career development is outstanding and I have grown more and more each year. I do see a lot of people go in and out of the business, but every time I see someone leave it is for just reason.

You will be hired if you know your stuff. Plain and simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

glad Im not there anymore in Janesville, Wisconsin

85 months ago

well, I am happy for you, but if you've been with the company 5 years in Chicago, you cant have been in a call center, as there were none in that market 5 years ago. In fact, Im pretty sure us cell just bought that market about 5 years ago from primeco. Certainly many people are fired for a just cause..stealing customer cc#'s for example. Had I actually been manipulating my "stats", which is the reason people were told I was fired(of course, they shouldn't have been told anything, now should they?)I would agree that I should have been fired. But since I couldn't even understand the "stats" in the first place, its darn unlikely that I could have possibly manipulated them.
Again, I truly wish you well. I enjoyed my first 4 years with us cell immensely. But before you judge whether or not someone was fired for a "just" reason, remember, if what you are hearing is accurate, someone has violated confidentiality, which is usually far worse than what the terminated employee did. If the tales you are hearing ARENT accurate, well then.... you really cant say the person was fired for a just cause, can you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I started off at the call center in waukesha, WI. So yes i've been with the company for 5 years. I am just going by what I see with my own eyes. If you got fired for some crap reason than I am truely sorry since you enjoyed your job. I was just trying to say that there is a lot of positive at that company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

wow, that is where I worked. I'd been there 6.5 years when they fired me for, among other things, walking the wrong way to the printer. For the first four years, it was definitely the best job I'd ever had. For me, and many of my coworkers, the positive went away. But having a good supervisor or "coach" can make all the difference. If you are not in management, I hope you have a good one. If you ARE management, I hope you ARE a good one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Why thank you. I'm not in management yet, BUT I am taking the assessment next week and if I pass I will be. I'm hoping that I can make some changes in the way things work, but sales is so different than the call center. I'll have someone start working in sales that was once at the call center and they will always be looking behind their back. I'm like hey chill its cool here. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

well, its good you've got the background in the call center, because then you have a good idea of the whole chain of events from the time the customer walks out of the store all happy with his new "toy" to the time they call in to customer service because "nobody told me that when I signed up" I hope you make the leadership thing. I don't know much about sales as far as quotas, etc, but I do know that if all other things are =, customer service at point of sale can be the deciding factor for a customer. My advice if the assessment team asks what you would change if you were in charge, tell them you would insist on the quote and note technique.. tell the customer what they need to know.. provide the info in writing in the form of a brochure, and then MOST importantly note the account that you did the first thing. But you probably know that already from your time in the call center! If you remember someone at the help desk forever telling you that if you didn't write it,(in the account notes), you never said it(to the customer), that person would have been me. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eharris1989 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

18 months ago

Hi, I really appreciate your comments but i totally agree with you. I have an interview coming up, and these guys were making me really nervous. lol but do you know how much the customer service reps starting pay is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.