Graduating with a Business Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

KYguy87 in Kentucky

84 months ago

Is UPS a viable place to start a career? I am about to get my BS in Accounting and I am trying to decide if UPS is going to be a good place for me. I have a few questions I hope you all can help me with:

1. What exactly is the path to a management position if you have never worked for UPS before? Is it likely at all that I will ever have this opportunity? How long does it, on average, take to reach these positions and would my education help at all or be completely disregarded?

2. If I do not start before the busy season is over, do I have to wait to apply until the next one, or at a place like Louisville (20k employees) would there be enough turnover that I could apply in early 2010? The shifts they are offering just don't work with my school schedule.

3. Is there much opportunity for advancement from entry-level management positions to middle-level or higher? Or is it pretty much waiting for a couple of people to retire before you're given a shot?

I apologize for how long this was. If you can't answer all my questions that's completely fine, but any insight at all would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

clowng in Wisconsin

81 months ago

Two choices. Come in as a union employee, have protection of the Union. Make good money, mostly part time. After 6-7 years you can become a driver and make better money with 10 hour days in all weather. Or come in as a part-time supervisor. No union protection. 1-2 years to be promoted full time. Good money. 50-60 hour work weeks. More at peak. Very hard to get time off. Apply online at any time. Up to $4000.00 a year toward tuition. 2 shifts really. Preload 04:00 to 09:30 or reload 4:00 pm to 9:30 pm for union folk. Supervisors 06:00 am to 06:00 pm or 10:00 am to 10:00 pm or 12:00 am to 2:00 pm. More if things don't go well.
They only promote those with 4 year degrees. If you are working there when you finish yours, just a matter of filling out some paperwork and going to panels. Usually you come on as a part-time supervisor and get promoted. But with recent cut backs, it could be years before a spot opens up. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.