Package Handlers Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 500 of 1507)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next »   Last »

john kim123 in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

hi guys just went to the center for my appointment tonight since i wanted the night shift anyways from 10pm-5:30am but its m-f from 4-6 hours and i have to stick with it for the first six months. they also told the group that they would not hire until 4-6 weeks later since it was not a busy time for them and they were laying off drivers and such since we're in the beginning of a recession. anyways, glad this site told me everything before i went so i knew what the guy would be talking about but i feel like they aren't going to call me back since its like the economy is really down right now. anyways thanks for the advice all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Radar in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

74 months ago

Had my first day yesterday; and i was prepared for the worst but they told us we are going to be in the classroom for 'Cornerstone' training all this week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Max214 in Alta Loma, California

74 months ago

Can anyone comment on the positions within the international section of UPS hub locations. Are there big differences that one should be aware of other than the fact that customs will be there. Are there "stricter" restrictions?rules..appearance....more work...more running around?????

kevin fang in Diamond Bar, California

74 months ago

hi 30 year upser. i am a bit late for asking this but i have an appointment for tomorrow, wednesday. i was just wondering if you know what questions they will ask you for the interview. also this will be my first EVER job if i get hired will this impact my chances. lastly, i am taking summer school right now and only have 5 classes left. after that i have the whole august and most of september free and then i go to college for the fall. on the application, how should i enter my school schedule. i do not plan on working at ups when i begin school. should i enter my fall schedule in for the application or should i just leave it blank since i will not be going to school from august to september. will they hire people like me who are only working for 2 months or less.

jabby in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

kevin, i went to an interview a couple weeks ago. my experience was that the interviewer first goes over your application, basically asking everything that it asked, i guess just to verify that it's correct. then they explained the job in great detail, basically trying to scare you out of it, saying how difficult it would be. after i said i was ok with that, they asked me where i had heard of ups, why i wanted to work there, and for good and bad qualities about myself. if you want the job, DO NOT tell them you are only going to work for two months. he made it very clear they demand a one year commitment. now obviously you can quit and they can't stop you, but don't mention you will be leaving in a couple months, because i doubt you will be hired. whether or not you enter you should enter your schedule... i don't know. if you enter it and it shows you have classes that will interfere with your work shift, they are obviously going to ask you about that. and once again, if you inform them you will be quitting in 2 months, don't expect to be hired. anyways, good luck with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

whackballer3 in Columbus, Ohio

74 months ago

I am going for an interview today and was curious...how long does it take to start working if the interview is a success? I ask this because I want to make sure I give my current employer fair warning before I leave.

midnight714 in anaheim, California

74 months ago

^^^^^^^^^^
about 3 to 4 weeks. for me it was 3 weeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Radar in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

74 months ago

whackballer3 in Columbus, Ohio said: I am going for an interview today and was curious...how long does it take to start working if the interview is a success? I ask this because I want to make sure I give my current employer fair warning before I leave.

For me it was 2 weeks. Depends on the season. High Volume=faster hiring time.

MidnightAnyway in Seattle, Washington

74 months ago

I worked as a preloader during the holiday season while I was a student at community college. Now, 3.5 years later, I'm a computer science student at a 4 year university, I'm close to graduating and I've been trying to find a job for the last 3 months.

I haven't been able to get hired for a computer related job, so now I've applied to be a package handler at UPS again.

What's it like working there in the summer at night? How should I handle only wanting to work there for 2 months (until school starts)? How should I handle questions about why I'm working there, or haven't gotten a higher paying/computer-related job?

Thanks in advance, for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

igottaquestion in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

hey 30 year upser could knowing someone high up in ups help me get a driver job when i turn 21? right now im 18 and work at a ups location that takes 10 years to become a driver and i was wondering if since i know someone i could get a driver job in just 3 years. thanks for your help

30 year upser

74 months ago

igottaquestion---unfortunately it doesnt work that way. All UPS operations are union shops (even in right to work states) This means that job bids are based on seniority. So you could be best friends with the President of UPS and it wouldn't make any difference. It would still take you ten years to be a driver.

Now, since you do know somebody high up in the ranks, you would have a better chance of being a driver by simply applying for a driver position instead of a package handler position. UPS has a 6 to 1 hiring policy when it comes to being a driver. What this means is that UPS will hire 6 people from the inside to 1 person from the outside to be the driver. You would be the one from the outside being hired. Hope this helps. Good Luck

igottaquestion in bradford, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

ohh ok so im better off not working there because it will take me 10 years but if i dont work there i might be able to be hired as the 1 outsider when im 21?

30 year upser

74 months ago

igottaquestion in bradford, Pennsylvania said: ohh ok so im better off not working there because it will take me 10 years but if i dont work there i might be able to be hired as the 1 outsider when im 21?

that is pretty much it. What I would do is every once in a while, rent one of those U-Haul trucks for about 20 bucks a day. They are about as big as a package car and it would give you a feel on how to drive a package car. I would do this like about a year before you apply to be a driver at UPS. If you dont know how to drive a stick, you will need to do so before you apply. Good LUck

74 months ago

cool thanks for your help 30 year upser...you were very helpful keep it up. your the man/woman!!! :)

74 months ago

hey 30 year. would the fact that i only worked as a package handler for a month and then left for a full time job hurt my chances of the person that i know getting me a driver job in the future? thanks

HopefulinLongBeach in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Hello 30yearupser....let me just thank you in advance for helping all these people!! I've read this thread from the first post from about a year ago, to the latest one. My question is one you've answered quite a few times: do they drug test for PTPH in LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA?! I've seen your answers to others in different states, but how is it in L.A.? I have an interview at the Olympic hub in Downtown @ 6:30am....I DO NOT do drugs!!! Just cannabis....did anybody in the L.A. area or Orange County have to take a drug test?! Please help!

30 year upser

73 months ago

no they dont do drug test and I would definitely not tell them you do cannabis. I belive in the donat ask--dont tell when it comes to interviews---good luck

kenny rogers in helena, Alabama

73 months ago

Tony(30 year upser),

It is great what your doing on this site.I have worked at a fed ex hub along time ago, and was thinking about giving UPS a try. I am an Independent Contractor and own my own busines. I saw this question asked but never answered. What is the difference in working UPS at an airport than working at a hub. Thanks alot.

30 year upser

73 months ago

kenny, the main difference is you will be loading what is called pods instead of trucks. Pods are cantainers that are curved to fit the contours of the plane. you will be loading what is called air packages. Air packages are packages that have to be delivered the following day, either morning or afternoon. Hope that helps. If you worked at Fed Ex you might be familiar with air packages and pods.

kenny rogers in helena, Alabama

73 months ago

OK, that is what I thought, I appreciate the info. Looks like ill have to start at a hub as they are only taking backup apps at the airport.......no big deal.....thanks again for answering my question..

travis walden in Miami, Florida

73 months ago

hey 30 UPSer, ive been with the company for two months today and i had a question that i hope you might know a little bit about. well i notice alot when i scan packages they come up as an "intercept". i guess the sender is trying to get the package back for whatever reason before its attempted to be delivered. well my question to you ism that i have an package that i ordered last week coming thru for an 8/14 delivery date and i know i has to be coming thru my hub b/c we're the only one serving my whole area below downtown. i have a tracking number and everything already. is there anyway i can intercept that package when it comes in so i wont have to wait up all morning for delivery?

xrmjhx in Napoleon, Ohio

73 months ago

Hello, I have an interview in two days, and I was wondering what the chances are that I will get hired on the first interview. I'm really not expecting this, but I really need a job to help pay for my education. And the sooner I get in, the better.

Thanks!

TreyC Sampson in Cleveland, Ohio

73 months ago

I just had my first interview today and passed to the second interview which is 2 days later so u probably won't get hired the first interview, but maybe the next week if u pass the interviews.

73 months ago

What usually happens after the second interview? Am i hired the next week if things go well?

romeo89 in San Francisco, California

73 months ago

I am just wondering I just got scheduled for a tour tomorrow, but I was wondering how long does the tour go for?

73 months ago

Radar in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I had my second interview yesterday and they offered me a job! I start Monday @ 4:00. :)

cool, you've given me hope cause my second interview is tommorrow and i don't want them to call me back in 5 weeks,lol i need the job NOW!

73 months ago

romeo89 in San Francisco, California said: I am just wondering I just got scheduled for a tour tomorrow, but I was wondering how long does the tour go for?

My Tour was like 45 min to an hour. first i arrived, then 5-10 minutes later a guy came and talked for about 15 min, then we went to a different room and they put us in groups of 5, which took like 10-15 min then we toured and he talked and talked for about 25 minutes then we sat in the air conditioned room and talked for like 10-15 min. I hope this helps.

romeo89 in San Francisco, California

73 months ago

thanks TreyC it does...

kathy cotton in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

what about my application for the handler job

73 months ago

kathy cotton in Atlanta, Georgia said: what about my application for the handler job

umm, what do u mean?

Ilovemyapbt in Memphis, Tennessee

73 months ago

After filling out an application online for a package handler I was scheduled for a tour. I was honest about the felony on my background when I filled out the application. Does anyone know if ups hires felons or am I just wasting my time? Do they hire certain felons? Mine is a white collar crime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

73 months ago

Ilovemyapbt in Memphis, Tennessee said: After filling out an application online for a package handler I was scheduled for a tour. I was honest about the felony on my background when I filled out the application. Does anyone know if ups hires felons or am I just wasting my time? Do they hire certain felons? Mine is a white collar crime.

it depends on what the felony was and when you did it. being honest about it helps. good luck

Ilovemyapbt in Memphis, Tennessee

73 months ago

30 year upser said: it depends on what the felony was and when you did it. being honest about it helps. good luck

Thank you. You are very helpful.

xrmjhx in Napoleon, Ohio

73 months ago

I was wondering how long it took for you guys to be called back for my 2nd interview.
I had mine last Thursday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

xrmjhx in Napoleon, Ohio

73 months ago

called back for your second interview****
sorry

Juco in Brooklyn, New York

73 months ago

Dear 30yr UPSer...I recently went on another interview for the driving position at UPS...This time the HR supervisor held all the interviews...She was very impressed with my interview and my ability to explain to her that out of everone there I was most qualified for this very rigorous and demanding position.I told that I used to work for Fedex and that I honestly left becuase I wanted to work for UPS...During the group orientation she said that if everything checks out she will start callin ppl back to come and take the driving test this week coming up..Now she gave me a very good sign that she was gonna hire me because I saw her click and Express Hire option on her computer screen when it came to my application..So that made me felt good...but just recently I checked the status of my application online and it says ON File...is that anything to be worried about???

freddie guerrero in Elgin, Illinois

73 months ago

i went for an interview for ups i really need this job to help me out with college i called 3 days after the interview and they said i didnt qualify what should i do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

unicornhearts in Richmond, Virginia

73 months ago

I had an interview with a human resources rep at the richmond, virginia hub on Wednesday and when I went online to see if there were any new appointments scheduled, I found a new section of the application that I didn't notice before; it has the tax form, honesty of employment, higher education end dates, safety agreement, and drug/alcohol policy that is supposed to be completed before my next appointment, which isn't scheduled. I've not heard from anyone at UPS telling me I got the job, and I can't get to the web page where I can make an appointment anymore. Why won't it let me schedule another appointment?

The lady who interviewed me said that the background check would take a couple weeks. Why do I have all of these policy and employment agreements if the background check hasn't even been conducted yet? Or maybe it has been?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nbogosian in Kansas City, Missouri

73 months ago

Hi, went on a tour today for a package-handling position. I am applying for a "permanent" position. They say that if you don't uphold the commitment of one year, then you will never be considered again for re-hiring. My issue is that I will be moving from my location to another state in about nine months....does anyone know if this "permanent" factor of one year includes possible job transfers? I think I would like to continue working for UPS even once I move....if that's allowed....I'd appreciate any info.

mark103 in Kissimmee, Florida

72 months ago

It's been about two and a half weeks since I went in for my second interview with UPS about a package handling position, and I still haven't heard back about a yes or no just yet.

If it's been this long, does that usually mean that I didn't get in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

spaz113 in Salt Lake City, Utah

72 months ago

This question is for anyone who has worked at UPS as a package handler during the sunrise or midnight shifts..

I'm a freshmen in college, I just started this fall semester, and I heard UPS has awesome benefits for students.. I went to the tour already and am debating scheduling an interview.. I'm making 8.50 an hour as a manager at Jamba Juice but I'm getting sick of it. I checked out UPS for their tuition reimbursement and it's up to $2000 a year at the Hub i'm applying at, the problem is it's only available for the midnight and sunrise shifts.. My classes start between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. mon-fri and I'm not sure if my body could handle working until 3 a.m. then waking up just 3-4 hours later to go to school until noon.. There is NO way I could wake up and go to work at 3 a.m. so I'm mostly considering the midnight shift.. So for anyone that has worked that shift, is there any way you could have woken up at 7:30 a.m. ish to get ready for school the next day? Any and all advice would help me out so much!

mizzle in richmond, Indiana

72 months ago

spaz113 in Salt Lake City, Utah said: This question is for anyone who has worked at UPS as a package handler during the sunrise or midnight shifts..

I'm a freshmen in college, I just started this fall semester, and I heard UPS has awesome benefits for students.. I went to the tour already and am debating scheduling an interview.. I'm making 8.50 an hour as a manager at Jamba Juice but I'm getting sick of it. I checked out UPS for their tuition reimbursement and it's up to $2000 a year at the Hub i'm applying at, the problem is it's only available for the midnight and sunrise shifts.. My classes start between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. mon-fri and I'm not sure if my body could handle working until 3 a.m. then waking up just 3-4 hours later to go to school until noon.. There is NO way I could wake up and go to work at 3 a.m. so I'm mostly considering the midnight shift.. So for anyone that has worked that shift, is there any way you could have woken up at 7:30 a.m. ish to get ready for school the next day? Any and all advice would help me out so much!

hi spaz, although I do not work the midnight shift, i do work the sunrise shift and attend school as well...let me tell ya, sometimes it takes everything in me to wake up for work @3a.m. each morning after only having 3-4 hrs of sleep, sometimes less...some days i have class until 10 pm and others until 8 or 9...you just have to pick a shift that you can live with and be able to function with little to no sleep...i know its not that helpful, sorry

redlion2000 in Bridgeport, Connecticut

72 months ago

I have an interview appt on Mon. for the midnight pkg handler position, and I'm excited about the opportunity because I've been out of work for almost 9 mos now. My wife's job may transfer her out of state at the beginning of the year, and my question is will there be an opportunity for me to transfer to another hub? I mean, is there a time limit that you have to be with the company in order for you to be able to transfer? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

da bul in Narberth, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

for anyone who wants to know the experience with UPS here it goes. I had a interview Monday i walked filled out a small application then myself and 10 other pple sat in a room and a HR rep gave a small lecture on the job wat it requires and if you cant handle it you can leave. Then they started with the interviews we had to meet two pple. If the first person thought you were good enough then you got to meet the second interviewer right after or they would send you home after your first interview. I I was called second to last for the second interview I walked in the room they asked me why i want to work at UPS then gave me papers to fill out, and wat hours i wanted to work. they had to fill out more of the application online becuase if they hire you they add more the online application(takes 5 minutes). wen ur done you wait a few minutes then they finger print you in the system. Go over all information submitted one more time then your out the door. hR rep gave me a time to go back for a tour. wen i sign in at upsjobs.com it says i am an employee nex to the location of the hub.

Thought i would share my experience with UPS..hope all goes well for everyone else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Il Nam in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

72 months ago

I'm currently woriking at UPS as package handler.
I've been working for 5 months.
I will be moved to other city and is it possible to transfer to new hub?

Gizmo20783 in Washington, District of Columbia

71 months ago

I just applyed online for UPS as a package handler and everyone's comments have been helpful.I hear you have to undergo a background check as well I do have a fellony for fraud will that disqualify me from working with them.Once I come in for the appointment do they hire me on the spot or does it take time?If so how long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Ilovemyapbt in Memphis, Tennessee said: Thank you. You are very helpful.

Wow were like twins Im having the same issue my crime was white collor too I hope I get the job did u ever hear back from them

71 months ago

xrmjhx in Napoleon, Ohio said: I was wondering how long it took for you guys to be called back for my 2nd interview.
I had mine last Thursday.

Did they ever call u back

Ted Ellis in Beverly Hills, California

71 months ago

So, I applied online and signed up for an appointment date to be a Package Handler. I go in at 3:15am.

A couple of questions:

How much people would show up for a 3:15am appointment? It was the only time open and I would just like to know what to expect. There were no prior interviews.

Should I bring a resume or is that not necessary?

What should I bring besides my license, social security card, and birth certificate?

Should I expect an interview on the spot or would I schedule one during the tour?

I don't want to generalize, but what kind of people should I expect to be at the tour? I kind of expect it to be full of people who are running out of options and don't have very good personal skills.

For future references, is there an age limit to work at the facilities at the airports? I remember someone from FedEx saying you had to be 24, but I can't find any facts to back that up.

That's all I can think of at the time, thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cartman in Denver

71 months ago

Hello 30 year upser!
Thanks for being the 'Oz' of this string!
I am curious to know if being a seasonal drivers helper is better than being a partime package handler;? I am hoping to start a new career at UPS in hopes of becoming a driver. The HR said that it is better to be a ptph rather than a seasonal helper bcs after the 24th of Dec. the helpers are set free by ups w/ little thought of hiring them back. So, is it better for me to start at the ptph or seasonal helper? Thanks you have been the "OZ" of this page! Thanks again! Cartman

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.