Package Handlers Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 1507)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

marvin in London, Ohio

84 months ago

Does UPS allow part-time package handlers to work four 5hrs a week?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jesse in Moscow, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

I have some questions for 30 year upser,

Hey I am going through the interveiw process for a part time pachage handler(PTPH here after). I cuerrntly am a teamster working as a warehourse worker. I am currently laid off for 6 months so I figured this time would be the ideal time to try out this gig as it doesn't effet my UC benfits much.

My questions-1) What is the max hours a PTPH works? I'm only looking for 20-25 hours max, they don't force 30-35 hour weeks do they?

2)What exactly is the top rate for PT workers? At the interview I was told 8.50 to start than 9 after 3 months than 9.50 after 1 year. Is that as high as it goes for PT workers?

3)My current job pays 35k per year(full time) and is a union job w/ bebefits. My plan was to quit that job(this is as far as it will go)and only work as a PTPH at ups working toward full time. Do you think this would be worth it?

4)As a driver I heard rumer that you no longer are mandated to work excessive overtime however I consistantly see drivers out at 8-9 o'clock pm. So do you basicly work all day?

5)Their has been talk about facial hair. Are trimmed goties allowed or just a stash?

Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Ohh 1 more question-

They told me I would get 1 week vacation after 1 year WITHOUT MISSING A SINGLE MINUTE FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR. Is this really how it works, I mean do they fire you if you miss a day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: I have some questions for 30 year upser,

Hey I am going through the interveiw process for a part time pachage handler(PTPH here after). I cuerrntly am a teamster working as a warehourse worker. I am currently laid off for 6 months so I figured this time would be the ideal time to try out this gig as it doesn't effet my UC benfits much.

My questions-1) What is the max hours a PTPH works? I'm only looking for 20-25 hours max, they don't force 30-35 hour weeks do they?

2)What exactly is the top rate for PT workers? At the interview I was told 8.50 to start than 9 after 3 months than 9.50 after 1 year. Is that as high as it goes for PT workers?

3)My current job pays 35k per year(full time) and is a union job w/ bebefits. My plan was to quit that job(this is as far as it will go)and only work as a PTPH at ups working toward full time. Do you think this would be worth it?

4)As a driver I heard rumer that you no longer are mandated to work excessive overtime however I consistantly see drivers out at 8-9 o'clock pm. So do you basicly work all day?

5)Their has been talk about facial hair. Are trimmed goties allowed or just a stash?

Thanks in advance

Hey Jesse

First of all if you are looking for 20-25 hours per week than you came to the right place. However during the holiday season--called peak season--you may be working additional hours, and possibly working another shift. By the way,
if you work over 5 hours on any day you will get time and a half.
It is good that you're already a teamster because you won't be stuck with initiation fees once you start Make sure you got a withdrawl card when you left your previous
job.
As far as your questions,

1) As I said you will be working 20-25 per week. The only time you will be working more hours is during the holiday season because of the Christmas rush. You may be asked to work another shift,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: I have some questions for 30 year upser,

Thanks in advance

Sorry, my computer went on the blink.

Let me finish answering your quetions.

First of all, regarding, hours worked, as I said it will be 20-25 hours a week. During the holidays, you may be asked to work longer, in the same shift, but they can't force you work another shift

2) As far as your pay rate, you will start at 8.50 and get top pay rate of 9.50. However if you take a sort test, your pay rate will go up to 10.50

3) If your plan is to eventually work full time, depending on the hub you work at, it could take any where from 4-8 years to get there. Now it would be worth it, especially if you plan to be a package car driver, because within two years of driving you will be making top rate of 30.00 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: Ohh 1 more question-

They told me I would get 1 week vacation after 1 year WITHOUT MISSING A SINGLE MINUTE FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR. Is this really how it works, I mean do they fire you if you miss a day?

No they will not fire you if you miss a day of work. I don't know where you got that info about getting a vacation if you dont miss a day of work. The company cant do that. Your vacation is mandated in the contract. In other words, they HAVE to give you that vacation no matter how many days you work.

By the way, you can have facial hair if you work inside. If you are a driver, you can have a mustache but no beard. If you have long hair, you can cut it or tuck underneath your cap.

As far as hours worked as a driver, the union during their present negotiations for a new contract, is trying to minimize those hours. I know that is a huge complaint from most drivers. They are making booko bucks but don't have time to enjoy it. Like most people they would like to be home to see their kids play ball or at least be home with their families. I am not sure what the company can do to fix this, though.

Hope I have answered all your questions. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Thanks you answered my questions well. 2 more questions- what are usuall package drivers hours? What is your position with the company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: Thanks you answered my questions well. 2 more questions- what are usuall package drivers hours? What is your position with the company?

The "usual" UPS driver hours is supposed to be (depending when you start) 7:30-5:30 or 6:30. It depends on the route you have. Even experienced drivers get in late if they have a lot of stops. As I said previously, the union is trying to get language on the next contract to try to curtail this problem. Drivers make very, very good money, but the long hours get old quickly.
This is something that you need consider, Jesse, especially if you initailly apply as a driver. If you wait, 4-8 years hopefully this problem will be fixed where everyone will get in by 6:00-6:30 pm.

As far as what I do, I am clerk where I do address corrections on packages. I also sort packages on conveyor belts, according to zip codes.
Hope this helps and the best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any more questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Upser you are so helpful. Are you full time?

I went through the tour and have an interview this monday. In the email they told me to bring 2 forms of ID. Does that mean I'm hired? How exactly does the hiring process work.

Even though I get company paid BB/BS now I'm still thinking I'm gonna ditch my full time gig for this. They pay for college tuition correct? S**t if I don't make full time driving in 6 years than I'll still come out ahead with a masters degree.

This all seems to good to be true, whats the catch? I can stomach 4-5 hours in hell for 6 years if they pay for college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

NV in Queen Creek, Arizona

84 months ago

Hi, I am applying for ups package handler position. I am a female, with 7 year background in the medical field but I love the hours and can't beat the benefits. Do I have a chance or will they turn me down!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

OK I guess I had to create an account. Sorry for nailing ya with questions Upser but this is a huge decision for me.

At the tour they also told me that you don't get any breaks. Is this true? I have to say the HR rep that did the tour made the job sound like hell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

30 year upser said: there are a lot of woman working for UPS. the question you have to ask yourself: Do I mind getting dirty and sweaty? Do I like or mind hard work? Am I worried if I break a finger nail. If you say no to the above question this job is not for you. Also they say or may ask you if you think you can lift 70lbs. If you want to work at ups, say yes. Don't worry, if you have to lift that amount, ask for help from your co-worker. I do it all the time and I am a male, working there for 30 years. Also, if and when you get the job, most hubs have a section called Small Sort. Once you get the job wait a few months and sign a bid list to get that particular job. Small sort t is where you handle small pacages and put them in plastic bags and then placing them on the conveyor belt.---Good luck

I know this sounds kind of weird and I get it all the time but I actually like the physical work. I see it as getting a workout. I am a certified dance instructor, spinning and kickboxing but don't have any nearby gym facilities. But like we all know being a woman you have to stay in shape, so I will see it as getting paid to work out:) Thank you very much. Does everyone start as a package handler? What type of position can I obtain with my clerical background?

30 year upser

84 months ago

NV in Queen Creek, Arizona said: I know this sounds kind of weird and I get it all the time but I actually like the physical work. I see it as getting a workout. I am a certified dance instructor, spinning and kickboxing but don't have any nearby gym facilities. But like we all know being a woman you have to stay in shape, so I will see it as getting paid to work out:) Thank you very much. Does everyone start as a package handler? What type of position can I obtain with my clerical background?

Hi NV--Sounds like this job is perfect for you. Yes you will definitely get a work-out.
And yes, you will start out as a package handler. You could also apply as a delivery driver, but it is a lot harder because most drivers are hired from within. It would take 4-8 years to be a driver.
As far as clerical positions, it just so happens I am a clerk myself. HOwever, I have also been there 30 years. :) In other words, it will take a while to get that position.

Good Luck NV.
Anyway

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: OK I guess I had to create an account. Sorry for nailing ya with questions Upser but this is a huge decision for me.

At the tour they also told me that you don't get any breaks. Is this true? I have to say the HR rep that did the tour made the job sound like hell.

Hi Jesse,
The tour guide was mistaken. You DO get a break--10 minutes. It is mandated in our contract.
As far as the guide making the job hell, what he/she was simply trying to prepare you for the type of work you will be doing. Let's put it this way Jesse and anyone reading this blog. The job is what you make it. Don't necessarily take your time loading or unloading a truck, but dont kill yourself either. Pace yourself. Only YOU will be able to do that since you know your own physical capabilities. What supervisors are looking for in new-hires is attitude, attendence and tardiness. If you are there everyday and come in ready to work, you will be fine. Good Luck

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: Upser you are so helpful. Are you full time?

I went through the tour and have an interview this monday. In the email they told me to bring 2 forms of ID. Does that mean I'm hired? How exactly does the hiring process work.

Even though I get company paid BB/BS now I'm still thinking I'm gonna ditch my full time gig for this. They pay for college tuition correct? S**t if I don't make full time driving in 6 years than I'll still come out ahead with a masters degree.

This all seems to good to be true, whats the catch? I can stomach 4-5 hours in hell for 6 years if they pay for college.

Hi Jesse--If they told you to bring 2 forms of ID--that is a very good sign.
As far as the hiring process works, once you are officially hired, you will have classroom training on loading/unloading, HazMat, basic UPS policies such as attendence, tardiness, etc. You will also be given a tour of the building, if you haven't already.
Excuse my ignorance but what is BB/Bs? :)
Yes they will pay for your tuition. Make sure you keep your grades up. As far as your Master's degree, make sure that UPS will pay for your post-graduate work before you enroll in some classes. In other words, UPS will pay for undergrad classes but I am not sure for post-grad.

Good luck Jesse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Hi everybody.

I just wanted to thank everybody for writing me, asking for suggestions on how to get on at UPS and any other questions you may have. I have addressed numerous issues you had, so I thought I would review everything that I have talked about so far.

For those of you who do get on at UPS, I want to make a few suggestions.

1) Work hard but pace yourself. You are the only one who knows of your own capabilites.

2) Show up everyday without being late. Your supervisor will be looking for that, especially if you are hired as a temporary, sesonal help. During that period, if you are a good worker and show up everyday, you will be called back in January. I have seen it many times.

3) Once you do get on permanently, and realize the hard work you are doing, please don't say, "OMG, what I have done. This is not what I expected. I'm outta here." In other words, give it a chance. Try to stay on at least 2-3 months. After that, if you still don't like the job, at least you have given it a chance.

4) Many of you have said that you applied on line but haven't heard anything. The reason being, I think is that employers have to sift through all the applications and decide who would be a good candidate. If you haven't heard anything for two weeks, try to call the HR in your city or town. They just might be impressed that you called them and invite you to come in for a tour.

That's about it for now--feel free to contact me anytime

Tony--aka 30 year upser. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Thanks man. You really shine some positive light on my situation. I wonder why that HR rep came off like it was such a hell. Like you said she probably wanted to weed out the bad workers. I know I left their with doubts and I'm a 100% born bull worker. Anyways I'm going to go for it. I'll give it my best at the interview. Although I'm giving up a lot by quitting my current job, UPS seems to have a lot of open doors. Thats what I'm after.

Ohh and that was supposed to read BC/BS-blue cross blue sheild.

84 months ago

UPser, I have one more question for you. I went to my interview today and they scheduled me for my second interview tommarrow. At the interview she explained I have to wait 30 days to get the ball rolling for my bebefits and all. She also mentioned I get vacation 1 year from that date(after the 30 days). Basicly I'm on probation for 30 days.

This is the kicker. As of November 1'st their is this freeze and my 30 days will be put on hold. WTF? So even though I start in Oct I will not get in the union or on the senority list till late Jan? Now is this 30 working days because if I start next week on OCT 1'st 30 calender days ends on the 30'th. That puts me in the union as of the 31'st. I'm assuming 30 working days in which that gives me 20 working days in OCT but than I have to wait till 10 working days in Jan.

I may not be the smartest man in the world but thats over a 90 day probation period, not the 30 days I was told.

Thanks

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: UPser, I have one more question for you. I went to my interview today and they scheduled me for my second interview tommarrow. At the interview she explained I have to wait 30 days to get the ball rolling for my bebefits and all. She also mentioned I get vacation 1 year from that date(after the 30 days). Basicly I'm on probation for 30 days.

This is the kicker. As of November 1'st their is this freeze and my 30 days will be put on hold. WTF? So even though I start in Oct I will not get in the union or on the senority list till late Jan? Now is this 30 working days because if I start next week on OCT 1'st 30 calender days ends on the 30'th. That puts me in the union as of the 31'st. I'm assuming 30 working days in which that gives me 20 working days in OCT but than I have to wait till 10 working days in Jan.

I may not be the smartest man in the world but thats over a 90 day probation period, not the 30 days I was told.

Thanks

Hi Jesse--
First of all congrats on you getting your foot in the door. Looks like your in.
Now, as far as your thirty days. That is 30 working days, which is about 6 weeks. Nov. 1 starts what is called peak season.
Unfortunately you are correct as far as waiting till January to gain senority. However, because you were hired before Nov. 1 you should still get benefits. In other words, if you get hurt on the job, you wont have to pay for medical expenses.I am going to call my local union to make sure.
If it's any consolation, once you do gain seniority your seniority date will revert to Oct 1. This is important when it comes to vactation picks, overtime etc.
Also the fact that you were hired before Nov 1 you have a lot better chance of getting hired back after the holidays. So make sure you work hard, show up everyday.

84 months ago

Actually they told me I was perminate. They explained the holiday workers and clearly told me I was not one of them.

However they told me my senority will not begin till after my thirty days. Really I feel it would be fair if I didn't work nov. and december than. I mean their not counting them days toward my progression but yet their going to evaluation my performance during those months? I find it clever how they have a huge group of us starting so that we have to work 90+ days till senority kicks in. I meean in Oct we get in 20 working days. Their was a group that started today. That gives them 28 working days than they have to wait to Jan 2'nd before they make union, than till FEB 1'st till they get their benefits. I'm willing to bet a thousand dollors no one was hired 2 working days ago. Coincidence?

I haven't even started and I'm upset with the polotics of this company. When I expressed my opinion of this "freeze"period during todays interview she quickly blamed the union. Hey, I have been a teamster for 10 years. I can smell a managment screw job from a mile away.

Sorry to sound so negative but I wish they just added this imformation to their site BEFORE you apply. I was under the impression I would have health insurance by Dec 1'st. I read their benefit package up and down and no where did they mention this freeze. It's basicly a lie.

84 months ago

"In other words, if you get hurt on the job, you wont have to pay for medical expenses."

Yeah thats kinda the law. So long as you don't sigh a 1099 form(which I never would)the empolyer is responsible for any work related injuries. Thats starts day one no matter where you work....in other words it's not a benefit or a perk.

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: Actually they told me I was perminate. They explained the holiday workers and clearly told me I was not one of them.

However they told me my senority will not begin till after my thirty days. Really I feel it would be fair if I didn't work nov. and december than. I mean their not counting them days toward my progression but yet their going to evaluation my performance during those months? I find it clever how they have a huge group of us starting so that we have to work 90+ days till senority kicks in. I meean in Oct we get in 20 working days. Their was a group that started today. That gives them 28 working days than they have to wait to Jan 2'nd before they make union, than till FEB 1'st till they get their benefits. I'm willing to bet a thousand dollors no one was hired 2 working days ago. Coincidence?

I haven't even started and I'm upset with the polotics of this company. When I expressed my opinion of this "freeze"period during todays interview she quickly blamed the union. Hey, I have been a teamster for 10 years. I can smell a managment screw job from a mile away.

Sorry to sound so negative but I wish they just added this imformation to their site BEFORE you apply. I was under the impression I would have health insurance by Dec 1'st. I read their benefit package up and down and no where did they mention this freeze. It's basicly a lie.

Unfortunately, you are being hired at an awkward time period. If you were hired and started a several weeks ago, you would have just made the pre seasonal date. If it's any consolation, because you weren't hired as seasonal help, you will be called back before a seasonal employee. Plus, you will only have to work about two more weeks to gain seniority. One other thing, once you do make senority, your hiring date will go back to the first day you were hired in October. Look at it this way, Seasonal helpers, if they get hired back, will have to work another 30 days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Several more things to consider Jesse:
If you really want to work at UPS, don't make waves with your supervisor or his higher-ups, especially during the next couple of months.
Once you gain seniority, you will have Union representation. Then you can talk all about your concerns with a shop steward.
As far as not working till next January, I am not sure if that would be a good idea. UPS has started the ball rolling on your hiring. If you tell them you want to wait till next January, they may not hire you at all.
As I said earlier, your seniority and benefits will not start till after your 30 days, but it should, depending on your local, revert to the first day when you were hired in October. Good luck Jesse. Hang in there.
Oh one more thing: You're right. They should inform potential new-hires (especially during this period--pre holiday or even during the holiday season--that they will not recieve benefits during this time.

84 months ago

Thanks Upser. Yeah I wouldn't make any waves. I did however bring up a few concerns though I didn't do it my usually "union mouth" tone.

They did tell me my senority date starts after the 30 days. It doesn't get reverted back. The pluse side is they can't wack you with back dues than. I'm already a teamster so no fees for me at all, just dues.

30 year upser

84 months ago

I looked at my contract and in the Central region addendum, it did state that seniority reverts back to the first day you were hired. I'm not sure if it's the same with your local. I suggest once you make seniority check with a shop steward or call your local to see if is the same with your area. Believe me, not even HR people know everything about the union.

Mike Moore in Richmond, Kentucky

84 months ago

I applied for the part time job at the Lexington KY hub. (Pre Loader-4Am to 9Am) I got an appointment at the same time for a Friday. I went and then they told me to come in the following tuesday for the second Interview. I had a reminder e-mail telling me to bring two forms of I.D. as well. I went to the second interview this morning and they asked me about my self and then said did I have any questions. Then they said that I was in the pool of posabilities. Does anyone know where I stand at this point? I thought I was in when they asked for the second Interview but now I am kind of worried. They asked if I would be able to come in tonight for the in class trainig session, and of course I said yes. Then they said that they were waiting on the background check and they would let me know something if I get it. I am so confused. Does anyone know they way they pick the people and how many they pick at anypoint in time? SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Mike Moore in Richmond, Kentucky said: I applied for the part time job at the Lexington KY hub. (Pre Loader-4Am to 9Am) I got an appointment at the same time for a Friday. I went and then they told me to come in the following tuesday for the second Interview. I had a reminder e-mail telling me to bring two forms of I.D. as well. I went to the second interview this morning and they asked me about my self and then said did I have any questions. Then they said that I was in the pool of posabilities. Does anyone know where I stand at this point? I thought I was in when they asked for the second Interview but now I am kind of worried. They asked if I would be able to come in tonight for the in class trainig session, and of course I said yes. Then they said that they were waiting on the background check and they would let me know something if I get it. I am so confused. Does anyone know they way they pick the people and how many they pick at anypoint in time? SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!

I would say you are in Mike. That is normal to do background checks. They want to make sure you are not an axe murder or something. :)
Anyway, if they asked you to come in for training. Then you are in. end of story.

Good luck

84 months ago

Upser, I got my third interview coming up. I had my second one last week and didn't hear anything so I thought I wasn't hired. I guess they took the time to backround check or something.

Anyways whats the deal here? How many interviews do I need to go through? They schedule them at strange hours as well 5:30AM ,4:00 AM.

Do you think the third one means I'm in?

Jambo in Reston, Virginia

84 months ago

When I applied there in 2004, I had to go in and fill out some papers... Go in the next week for an interview, and go in a couple days later for another interview. Another few days past and I received a call saying I was hired. You are most likely in.

84 months ago

Has anyone ever been rehired for UPS? I miss the job and I would love to join the team again, but whenever I try to do the application online, it says that I am not currently eligible for rehire.

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: Upser, I got my third interview coming up. I had my second one last week and didn't hear anything so I thought I wasn't hired. I guess they took the time to backround check or something.

Anyways whats the deal here? How many interviews do I need to go through? They schedule them at strange hours as well 5:30AM ,4:00 AM.

I agree with Jambo. You are pretty much in. the reason you are being interviewed at 4:00 am is that you may be working that shift, sunrise shift, which starts at 3:00 am and goes to 7-to 7:30. If you are not interseted in this shift, let your interviewer know.
I will say that it is unusual to be interviewed that many times. The fact that you got this far, means they must be very interested in you.
BTW, good to hear from you again. Let me know what happens.

84 months ago

Yeah I will be working that shift thats the one I applied for. It couldn't fit better into my life.

I guess I will really need this job after all. Found out today the job at which I am laid off and on call back is closing up shop. My wife works their and got the ax today.

Hey we have a family....how long till UPS picks up health coverage? They told me at interview #2 it takes 7 months for family coverage. We are all droped at the end of SEP. GRRR!!!

84 months ago

90 working days for individual Medical coverage... 6 months for dental and vision. Not sure about the whole having to wait extra for the whole family to at least have medical.

84 months ago

I don't know I'm confused. In an email they sent me I was told 3.5 months for independent medical, prescription and disability coverage. 8.5 months for dental, eye care and dependent coverage.

At interview #1 I was told 1'st day following 30 working days for independent coverage than 7 months for dependent coverage. At interview #2 I was told by the same exact person it would be 4 months for independent coverage, 9 months for dependent coverage. At interview #3 I was told 3 years for dependent coverage.

I have never interviewed at a place that doesn't even know their own policy's. WTF?

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: I don't know I'm confused. In an email they sent me I was told 3.5 months for independent medical, prescription and disability coverage. 8.5 months for dental, eye care and dependent coverage.

At interview #1 I was told 1'st day following 30 working days for independent coverage than 7 months for dependent coverage. At interview #2 I was told by the same exact person it would be 4 months for independent coverage, 9 months for dependent coverage. At interview #3 I was told 3 years for dependent coverage.

I have never interviewed at a place that doesn't even know their own policy's. WTF?

That does seem strange. I thought once one completes his 30 days probation, coverage will start immediately. I will check on this myself with my local. IN some respects it is good that you get the job now. The teamsters have just had a handshake agreement with UPS on the contract coming up. ONe of the caveats is that new-hires will not get any coverage at all for the first year. Now granted, it wont take affect until Aug 1, 2008 so anyone hired before that, will get coverage right away, or at least within the next few months.

84 months ago

UPS will never keep part timers if that falls through....unless that plan on a huge wage increase.

84 months ago

How can the teamsters agree on anything? Isn't it a vote? Teamsters are the people not Jimmy Hoffa.

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: Upser, I got my third interview coming up. I had my second one last week and didn't hear anything so I thought I wasn't hired. I guess they took the time to backround check or something.

Hi I recently got hired for ups in arizona, I went through the same process you are. Pretty much if your backround cleared you are hired. they schedule you at those hours because that is the hours you'll be working 330-9:15 am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

water down in Sun City, California

84 months ago

im about 5-5 and 120pounds. do you think im fit enough for this job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

also, do they hire you if you have no job exp?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Water down- Ihave been working labor jobs my whole life. I weigh 120 lbs at 5'7" as well. My wife worked with me at out last job and she is 5'5" weighing 110 lbs. You don't have to be "fit" to work anywhere in Amercia really. BTW- when I toured the facility I noticed more out of shape workers than in shape.

Cliff R in Austin, Texas

84 months ago

Do you think your credit history is a big deal when they do your background check?

EricINLosAngeles in Los Angeles, California

84 months ago

I just went for the tour today and sometimes the H.R. person will give you a business card and tell you that if you are interested in the job give them a call back but in your case its been a while so you might want to give them a call

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

So I'm still not sure what the deal is. 3 interviews where they asked the same exact questions than ended it with a "we'll call you". Each time I waited about a week for the call. This is kinda weird, it's been over a month since my first interview and I'm still waiting on phone calls. I'm curious if my next call will be another interview or a start date. I'm growing more and more skeptical, I think I'll start sending my resume out to other employers.

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: How can the teamsters agree on anything? Isn't it a vote? Teamsters are the people not Jimmy Hoffa.

as I said, it is a handsake agreement. Yes the rank and file (the workers) have to approve it before anything takes affect.

30 year upser

84 months ago

water down in Sun City, California said: also, do they hire you if you have no job exp?

Yes to both questions. I am also 5'5" and I have been there 30 years. Once you are hired, what UPS is looking for, especially your supervisor, is attitude, attendence and tardiness.
Also EricINlos angeles had a good idea. When you go for your interview, get a business card from the interviewer. This way, you will be able to get a hold of her directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

84 months ago

Cliff R in Austin, Texas said: Do you think your credit history is a big deal when they do your background check?

no, they do not do credit checks when doing background checks. they are looking to see if you have any criminal record. Also they check previous jobs that you put down as reference to see what kind of worker you were or will be if you get hired at UPS. So I will say to you and others what I have said several times. If you get hired, work hard but dont kill yourself. Pace yourself so you can work comfortably and still get the job done. Also dont miss any days during your 30 day probation period and always be on time. That is what supervisors look for during your first 6 weeks after being hired.--good luck

30 year upser

84 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: So I'm still not sure what the deal is. 3 interviews where they asked the same exact questions than ended it with a "we'll call you". Each time I waited about a week for the call. This is kinda weird, it's been over a month since my first interview and I'm still waiting on phone calls. I'm curious if my next call will be another interview or a start date. I'm growing more and more skeptical, I think I'll start sending my resume out to other employers.

try not to get too discouraged Jesse. This simply part of the process. Call them or go to the HR where you inteviewed and try to see if you can get the interviewer's business card. Don't be a pest though, but tell them you really want to work at UPS.

84 months ago

Jesse, I don't blame you for wanting to put your resume into other companies. I actually encourage you to. While this is a good company to work for, you really need to figure out a new employment for your situation. Just start getting on the resume sending ball again, and then take whatever comes first if you know you'll enjoy it. Good luck to you.

84 months ago

are most of the package 50pounds and up? or around 15~40pounds?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.