Package Handlers Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1507)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

water down in Sun City, California

86 months ago

would i have a problem lifting these packages?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

curiousk in Sacramento, California

86 months ago

hello, upser. i just got a copy of my background check that cleared so it look like i may get the position. it also looks like there may be more interviews and a waiting period. in the meantime, i have been interviewing for jobs and lord knows the job market is tougher than ever right now. it kinda seems like even if a person is well qualified and a good interviewer, companies are looking for a specific type of person, which more and more seems to be young just-out-of high school kids. i can understand why companies would want fresh people who may question things less and be more willing to take on a heavy load due to lack of knowledge and experience. plus, they would pay them much less and make more money. anyway, to get off my tangent, it looks like ups is good mostly for the union benefits and possible long term positions. there is no way ups alone would pay my bills. i just took a huge paycut by leaving my last job because of internal organization issues. i am trying to work ups then go to school a couple hours in the morning, then work another part time job and then go home to care for my 4 year old. it is a heavy load, as it always has been. would you say that a pre-load shift may be too exhausting for days like i mentioned? if so, i could otherwise get benefits from a full time job after school only.

NV in Queen Creek, Arizona

86 months ago

water down in Sun City, California said: im about 5-5 and 120pounds. do you think im fit enough for this job?

It doesn't matter how much you weigh. I am 5'3'' 129 lbs, female, You could be 5;10'' and 175lbs and can't carry 25 lbs you see what i'm saying aslong as you use techniques you'll do fine just remember carry your optimal carry which is as much as you can handle if their is heavier boxes ask for help.

30 year upser

86 months ago

water down in Sun City, California said: are most of the package 50pounds and up? or around 15~40pounds?

yes most are 15 to 40 lbs but you will also see 50-70 lbs come in your truck. for those packages, leave them on the floor to use as a base to put lighter packages on top of it. In other words when loading a truck there should be no reason whatsoever to lift a fifty pound package above your head.

By the way, the maximum UPS accepts is 150lb packages. these are called irregs. they are dropped of to your dock by tram drivers. they still have to be loaded in your truck but do not lift these packages by yourself. anything over 60 lbs, do not hesitate to ask for help. Believe me you will not be impressing your supervisor by lifting a 100
lb package by yourself. In fact he will be upset with you because you are risking hurting yourself.
NV said it best. Lift what you are capable of lifting and what you are comfortable with.
Believe it or not, if someone works out lifting weights, that is not the same as lifting an 80 lb package because you are using different muscles. Don't worry. Once you're hired you will be trained on lifting among others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

curiousk in Sacramento, California said: hello, upser. i just got a copy of my background check that cleared so it look like i may get the position. it also looks like there may be more interviews and a waiting period. in the meantime, i have been interviewing for jobs and lord knows the job market is tougher than ever right now. it kinda seems like even if a person is well qualified and a good interviewer, companies are looking for a specific type of person, which more and more seems to be young just-out-of high school kids. i can understand why companies would want fresh people who may question things less and be more willing to take on a heavy load due to lack of knowledge and experience. plus, they would pay them much less and make more money. anyway, to get off my tangent, it looks like ups is good mostly for the union benefits and possible long term positions. there is no way ups alone would pay my bills. i just took a huge paycut by leaving my last job because of internal organization issues. i am trying to work ups then go to school a couple hours in the morning, then work another part time job and then go home to care for my 4 year old. it is a heavy load, as it always has been. would you say that a pre-load shift may be too exhausting for days like i mentioned? if so, i could otherwise get benefits from a full time job after school only.

cuiousk--sounds like a plan. If you have someone to look after your child, then pre-load may be perfect for you. By the way, if you are going to school, and assuming you are in college, once you make your 30 days, you can apply for earn and learn which basically means that UPS will pay or reimburse you for your education.
One other thing, I admire your work load and trying to cope. :) and the best of luck to you. let me know if you have any more questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California

86 months ago

Hey 30 year upser, I am going in for the tour/interview in a couple of weeks, what are my chances of getting the job? Also, are most hubs around the US run the same? like drug testing and hiring methods.

86 months ago

oh ya one more thing, what kind of questions do they ask you in the interview?

30 year upser

86 months ago

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California said: Hey 30 year upser, I am going in for the tour/interview in a couple of weeks, what are my chances of getting the job? Also, are most hubs around the US run the same? like drug testing and hiring methods.

Gregormeister--If you are going on a tour there is a good chance that you have been hired. However there is something you should be aware of. If you haven't been told already, you are being hired for seasonal help. This simply means that you are basiclly a temporary helper. Which means no insurance, no holiday pay. Also you will be laid off after the rush is over. If you want to be hired back again in late January, some things to consider: Be on time and don't miss any days. If you ar a good worker, your supervisor will remember you and call you back. Once you do get called back, then your benefits will kick in.
As far as questions in the interview, you will be asked what hours you would be availabe to work. There are 4 shifts.
Days--noon till about 4 pm. During the Xmas rush--called Peak season,--you may start as early as 10 a.m.
Twilight starts 5:30pm and goes till about 9:30
Night shift starts--10:30 till about 2:30
Sunrise--3:30 till about 7:30 am. As I said during the Christmas rush the start times may be earlier.

The interviewer may also ask you if you think you can lift 70 lbs. Say YES. If you ever have to lift 70 lbs, simply ask for help.
Hope all this helps and Good Luck.
Oh one more thing, no you shouldn't have to take a drug test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

30 year upser (loc) alright chillin thanks for the tips

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

oh ya one more thing, so if i show up on time and have a good attitude and don't miss any days, you're saying that my chances of getting re-hired are pretty good, how many people do they usually re-hire after the holiday rush?

30 year upser

86 months ago

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California said: oh ya one more thing, so if i show up on time and have a good attitude and don't miss any days, you're saying that my chances of getting re-hired are pretty good, how many people do they usually re-hire after the holiday rush?

Yes, if you do all of the above there is a good chance you will be called back. obviously, however, I cant gurantee that. In my immediate work area, there were two that were called back. That doesn't mean that others who were hired didn't get called back. It might mean that they didn't want to come back for various reasons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

alright thanks, and on my appointment reminder it says package handler-part time. That still means seasonal, or will it say package handler-seasonal?

30 year upser

86 months ago

As far as I know it will be seasonal. However, if you get called back you can apply the time that you worked toward your probation period and more importantly, toward your seniority date. If you aren't seasonal, that is even better because you definitely have a better chance of getting called back than seasonal help.
Remember Greg--work hard but dont kill yourself. Show up everyday and be on time.
One other thing: It is important that you get hired now--that is before August 1, 2008. Reason being a new contract is being proposed which says that new-hires after August 1, 2008 will not get any benefits for the first year of employment and will not get benefits for families for eighteen months after being hired.

86 months ago

Alright, thanks for all the tips, you are a really big help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

do you think I should bring a resume to the tour? is that something they will like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

UPS is a bad company! They scheduled me for 4 interviews spaced 4 weeks apart. Each one was at weird times and they always left me hanging with no direction on what to do next. Finally I would get an email for another interview. Each interview went great got the "welcome abord speech" and all. It's been almost 2 weeks since my last interview so I gave the HR lady who kept emailing me an email asking what was going on. She didn't return my email. WTF, they put me through all these interviews for some stupid part time job than just leave me high and dry. Now the moron won't return my email.

Anyways within the 6 weeks time I've been playing tiddley winks with the UPS clowns I was applying elsewhere. Went through 2 interviews, drug test and backround check for a decent full time job in that time frame. HR at this company was very profesional and I got hired. They are sending me through training classes starting next week.

I am more than qualified for that stupid job at UPS, have a great work history. I could have been an asset to that company but because of their micro managed, half witted, unprofessional hireing practices they lost me.

I don't reccommend this company at all. I'm not even using them to ship packages anymore. What a joke of a company, I truly feel sorry for those people stuck at that job. I can only imagine what a nightmare of a life the career folks are forced to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

chapped, that is beat you had to go through 4 interviews, what were you applying for?

86 months ago

Just a part time package handler. What a joke! Thats alright I landed an office job....something I'm not used to. This company obviously sees enough value in me even though I have zero experience. They are offering paid training. I would have ran circles around UPS. Haven't missed a day of work of 10 years and my work record shows that.I have 10+ years experience in a warehouse with perfect attendence record, sortation system experience,load/unload experience, machine operations etc.. If UPS did their homework they would see this. UPS doesn't want good workers with ideas and aspirations instead target poor folks with little to no working skills so they can control them.

UPS is a bust. I read all about their company culture but thought it was just coming from all disgruntled workers. It's true they really want employees who bleed brown. Save yourself time don't bother with their pathetic tour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

hahahahha classic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: UPS is a bad company! They scheduled me for 4 interviews spaced 4 weeks apart. Each one was at weird times and they always left me hanging with no direction on what to do next. Finally I would get an email for another interview. Each interview went great got the "welcome abord speech" and all. It's been almost 2 weeks since my last interview so I gave the HR lady who kept emailing me an email asking what was going on. She didn't return my email. WTF, they put me through all these interviews for some stupid part time job than just leave me high and dry. Now the moron won't return my email.

Anyways within the 6 weeks time I've been playing tiddley winks with the UPS clowns I was applying elsewhere. Went through 2 interviews, drug test and backround check for a decent full time job in that time frame. HR at this company was very profesional and I got hired. They are sending me through training classes starting next week.

I am more than qualified for that stupid job at UPS, have a great work history. I could have been an asset to that company but because of their micro managed, half witted, unprofessional hireing practices they lost me.

I don't reccommend this company at all. I'm not even using them to ship packages anymore. What a joke of a company, I truly feel sorry for those people stuck at that job. I can only imagine what a nightmare of a life the career folks are forced to live.

Jesse, I am sorry for all the hoops you had to run through. The only thing I can think of why this happened was because you were being hired as seasonal help and they put you on a call list when they need you.
If that is the case, if it is any consolation, I don't agree with that. It is not fair to you are anybody to have to wait with baited breath for the phone ring. You could be applying else where and miss on an important job. If I were you, if you get called back I would tell them just that. Good luck on your new job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California said: do you think I should bring a resume to the tour? is that something they will like?

Nah, I don't think that is necssary. The fact that you are going on a tour means they got all the info they need on you.

86 months ago

I went to the interview today and they said I was too young to work as a package handler(i'm 17) but they offered me a job as a driver helper. It seems like pretty fun. What is that job like? Also since I am 17 I can only work 4 hours a day, and the person I talked to seemed to like me and said i could work from 2pm-7pm which is fine for me but that is 5 hours, do you think they will hire me for a driver helper even though I can only work 4 hours a day by law?

30 year upser

86 months ago

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California said: I went to the interview today and they said I was too young to work as a package handler(i'm 17) but they offered me a job as a driver helper. It seems like pretty fun. What is that job like? Also since I am 17 I can only work 4 hours a day, and the person I talked to seemed to like me and said i could work from 2pm-7pm which is fine for me but that is 5 hours, do you think they will hire me for a driver helper even though I can only work 4 hours a day by law?

I guess it depends on what state you live in, but to be honest with you, I never heard of being limited to four hours because of your age.
If you are a driver helper, get ready to work (run) your a** off. You will meet your driver at a desginated meeting spot. Then you will ride with him through out his route. He will give you a package and have you deliver it to a home or business. In the meant time he will also be delivering a package at the same time. Driver helpers are used during the Xmas rush because the driver, especially if he has a residential route, will have a lot more packages than usual.
I wouldn't be to concerned about your restricted hours. On the other hand, as we get closer to Xmas, you may be out on the road till 8 pm.
By the way, if you are looking to get on at UPS, this will be a good thing to put down as a reference on you application. Good LUck.

86 months ago

Alright thanks, and after the first interview will they call you or just say you have another interview through upsjobs.com?

30 year upser

86 months ago

Unfortunatley, I have no idea what comes next. I guess it depends on how your first interview went. If they do call you back, and they want to hire you, you will be fitted for a uniform and tell you how the Driver Helper routine works. Good luck

86 months ago

Expect to go through another 4 interviews with some half wit manager who can't answer a single question you ask because she has been their 30 years and knows nothing about the company. Than after wasting your and their own time they tell you you are hired and will call you with a start date. Than wait around and never hear anything again.

The fact that they told you you can work 4 hours than told you right afterward the hours are 2-7 reveals their intelligence. Do yourself a favor and save your energy for applying to a company who actually knows what they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

I agree with Jesse to an extent. I never heard of a 17 year old being restricted to 4 hours a day. It's not like the company is violating any child labor laws. The reason why you Gregomeister might be waiting for a call is that if you are a driver helper, they will wait till volume increases and the driver will need help delivering his packages. There is a possiblity that you will be called inside to help load/unload trucks.

86 months ago

alright thanks for all your input

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Art Tist in Bothell, Washington

86 months ago

Question about interview... I recently apply online for a package handler position around where I live but online It schedule me at another warehouse that is 40min away for the warehouse I apply for. Is this how they setup for interview? because right after the day I apply online I got a phone call from them asking me if I completed my application online. I told the lady that I was applying by where I live but online they schedule me at another warehouse, she told me thats where they do the interview is this true? I just want to make sure because I dont want to drive 40min to the warehouse and thinking that its the wrong spot for my interview. If this were the spot for my interview would they also setup another interview at the warehouse I apply for? How come I cant just get interview at the warehouse I apply for instead at another warehouse? any input would be appreciated
-thanks

30 year upser

86 months ago

Art--in most cities there are UPS hubs and there are UPS centers or satelites. They dont run as many packages as the hubs because it is a smaller building. The hub is the main building which is also where HR is. Where you are being interviewed is most probably a hub. During your interview tell them that you would prefer to work closer to where you live.
Hope that helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

NYMetsFan in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

I was just wondering has anyone worked for UPS has a Driver Helper and could tell me what to expect...

86 months ago

also, when you go for an interview what do they ask..if you get the job what do they ask you to wear..anything about being a Driver Helper would be helpful

30 year upser

86 months ago

NYMetsFan in Las Vegas, Nevada said: also, when you go for an interview what do they ask..if you get the job what do they ask you to wear..anything about being a Driver Helper would be helpful

They will ask you if you are available from 1:00 pm to 5 or 6 pm. During the Xmas rush you might be out later. Be ready to work hard. You're driver will be giving you packages to deliver to a house while he delivers a package at the same time at another house. Hense driver helper. You will be doing a lot of running or walking fast.
You will be fitted for a uniform. You will meet your driver at a designated place that your driver instructs you to be at. Make sure you are there in plenty of time. He is on a time schedule and he cant afford to be waiting for you to show up.--Hope that helps.

86 months ago

what kind of uniform do they wear? the same as the UPS drivers?

86 months ago

when do you meet your driver/know who your driver is?...dont u just ring the doorbell and drop the package off at the house? say he drops me off and then goes to another house, it seems like i'd be waiting for him to come back and pick me up

30 year upser

86 months ago

NYMetsFan in Las Vegas, Nevada said: when do you meet your driver/know who your driver is?...dont u just ring the doorbell and drop the package off at the house? say he drops me off and then goes to another house, it seems like i'd be waiting for him to come back and pick me up

You will find all that out during your orientation and training. You will wear a brown UPS uniform. If it is a residental route, you will be delivering a package to one house and he will be delivering one across the street. Most residential routes are called Driver Release which means that you simply drop off the package and leave. If you are delivering a package the driver will also be setting up the next stop(s).
Don't worry, your driver will not leave you and you shouldnt have to chase him down.

86 months ago

okay lol well now i got set up for answer question, i know you set up an interview, when is orientation and how long is training?..i heard the shorts are really short, is that true? or are they about normal length to the knee?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

86 months ago

NYMetsFan in Las Vegas, Nevada said: okay lol well now i got set up for answer question, i know you set up an interview, when is orientation and how long is training?..i heard the shorts are really short, is that true? or are they about normal length to the knee?

Don't worry. The shorts aren't that short. You will be called for orientation probably after Thanksgiving. One other thing, after the Xmas rush, you will be laid off. If you want a job with UPS, you may have to apply again but you will be working inside.

86 months ago

okay, so i think i got everything covered, just wanna get it all together..so i could go for an interview next week, get hired, but then won't get a call till after Thanksgiving? go to orientation and then start?

86 months ago

also, what about routes to stores, how do those work?

30 year upser

86 months ago

NYMetsFan in Las Vegas, Nevada said: okay, so i think i got everything covered, just wanna get it all together..so i could go for an interview next week, get hired, but then won't get a call till after Thanksgiving? go to orientation and then start?

You might get called earlier, but I doubt it. If they do call you, it might be to let you get used to what you will be doing so when you start working during Xmas rush you wont be overwhelmed. Like I said, when you find out the place where you are suppose to meet your driver, make sure there in plenty of time.
As far as stores, if you are in a mall, again he will give you a couple of packages, you deliver them and then meet up with him to get more packages.

86 months ago

so when will you get a call back for a driver helper job?

30 year upser

86 months ago

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California said: so when will you get a call back for a driver helper job?

When you have your interview that is one of ask the question(s) you need to ask the interviewer. I cant tell you exactly or even a approximate time when you will. Only your interviewer could tell you that. Don't be afraid to ask questions. That is what the interviewer is there for.---Good Luck
BTW if you do get the job write back to this blog to let anyone who is interested in being a driver helper, and let them know what you went through.

Mordecai in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

Question for 30 year upser. I was scheduled for a tour/interview for Wednesday but I'm not sure if I was told 6AM or 6PM. 6PM seems more reasonable but then again I'm not exactly positive just to be sure is there a way i can contact the HR or unless you can confirm that 6AM is not really the time they do tours.

Mordecai in Las Vegas, Nevada

86 months ago

I went to the tour and noticed some people were given a second interview the next day but after I was done with the interview I was just told that they'll call me. So what does that mean? Am I most likely on the waiting list, because I'm thinking the second interview means you're pretty much in and after I was interviewed I wasn't given a 2nd one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

what questions did they ask you during the interview?

85 months ago

Mordecai in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I went to the tour and noticed some people were given a second interview the next day but after I was done with the interview I was just told that they'll call me. So what does that mean? Am I most likely on the waiting list, because I'm thinking the second interview means you're pretty much in and after I was interviewed I wasn't given a 2nd one.

Same thing happen to me.. the HR told me that I met all the qualification for the package handler job(preload) and ask when can I start I said anytime she just told me she just need to do a background check that take about couple of days or a week and they'll call me. I didnt received another interview either which I think I blew it big time because right when I sat down with the HR for a 1 on 1 my mind went blank and the things that I thought I was going to say didnt came up because I was nervous lol. Mordecal did you apply online or at UPS where you wanted a job at? If you apply online did you received additional information that need to be filled out? direct deposit,form W-4 etc... and did they say anything about doing a background check? I'm still wondering if I get the job or not since they gave me the "we'll call you" line.

85 months ago

My experience at UPS tour/interview:

Got there around 5:10am(my interview was at 5:30am) only about 5 person show up and only two person dress to impress including myself lol I guess we feel left out because we dress up) The other just wore sneakers
and sweater).
-Sign my name on a sign up sheet. Took two sheet of paper( Heath Plan and Essential job function) sat down read and wait on the HR.
-HR come in and gave a brief speech about the Health Plan, Employee discount, School stuff etc..
-Took us on a tour (HR kept on bringing up that its a hard job, just to make you think twice about the job and going on with the interview)
-Finished tour (saw bunch of people outside waiting who came in late. HR person told them sorry to them they missed the tour they need to reschedule. Even have a guy
who drove 1-2hr to get there sent home.
-So if you apply online make sure you print out the direction and go early or give yourself enough time to get there and don't be late! for the tour.
-After HR got rid of them did a little speech about its hard work and If you don't think you can handle this kind of job you can get up and leave.
-Its about 6:20am-6:30am she start interviewing people sat down and wait for my turn.(7:45am) went and sat down 1 on 1 for the interview (which I think didn't went well)
-HR ask
.Why you want to work for UPS .Why should we hire you .About your recent jobs .Can you lift/carry something that weigh 70lb
. basic stuff like other job recruiter ask. .What was the last physical thing you did that involved lifting etc..
.Package Handler position would you give a 1 year commitment .Ask if you're fine joining teamster .Ask you to give them permission for background check

I left around 8:15am or so, well that is my first experience at UPS tour/interview hope it help for the first timer going to there interview

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I just wish I could do the interview again because I froze lol not sure if the people that got interview had a 2nd interview but I didn't I guess(read my above post)
I did bad on my interview but I'm hoping to get a call from them in a couple of days or wait for a week if they don't call I'll just call the HR and ask whats my status. If you're determined like me on getting this job make sure you ask the HR person for there phone number/email or there business card just incase they don't call you and you can follow up on your status that's what I did I ask for there business card. I dont think you can get the HR number on there site it only show the 1800 number so good luck to people that goes on the interview for the first time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

85 months ago

Mordecai in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Question for 30 year upser. I was scheduled for a tour/interview for Wednesday but I'm not sure if I was told 6AM or 6PM. 6PM seems more reasonable but then again I'm not exactly positive just to be sure is there a way i can contact the HR or unless you can confirm that 6AM is not really the time they do tours.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell because they do interviewers it seems like 24 hours a day. I would definitely call HR to get the exact time a m or p m.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.