Package Handlers Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 1508)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

30 year upser

95 months ago

chuckincharge in Flint, Michigan said: 30 year UPSER... does the company require a urinalysis to be hired for package handling operations?

No. the only people who take drug tests are drivers because UPS wants to make sure they are clean when driving a truck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

chuckincharge in Flint, Michigan

95 months ago

thank you 30 YEAR UPSER... appreciate your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California

95 months ago

I am 17 years old and very confused with how old you have to be to work at UPS, the web site it says 17 years old for a package handler and 18 for a driver helper, and I went on the tour and when I got the 1 on 1 with the HR they told me that I was not old enough to work as a package handler, but they said I could be a driver helper? What is up with the age thing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

and another thing, how do you get a hold of your HR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

95 months ago

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California said: I am 17 years old and very confused with how old you have to be to work at UPS, the web site it says 17 years old for a package handler and 18 for a driver helper, and I went on the tour and when I got the 1 on 1 with the HR they told me that I was not old enough to work as a package handler, but they said I could be a driver helper? What is up with the age thing?

I am not sure what is going on Greg. You obviously are being given the wrong info unless either you are the interviewer are misunderstanding what is being asked. I would go directly to the place where you were interviewed (assuming they have an HR) try to get a hold of the person who interviewed you and tell them you saw in the website that you have to be 17 years old to be a package handler and yet you were told that you weren't old enough. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mordecai in Las Vegas, Nevada

95 months ago

30 year upser, after some people were done with the interview they were given a piece of paper and were scheduled for a 2nd interview but after I was done I wasn't scheduled for a 2nd interview and was told that they'll call me back. Also, I was also asked if I was interested in working as driver assistant, didn't want to so I declined. Does not getting a 2nd interview mean you didn't get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

95 months ago

Mordecai in Las Vegas, Nevada said: 30 year upser, after some people were done with the interview they were given a piece of paper and were scheduled for a 2nd interview but after I was done I wasn't scheduled for a 2nd interview and was told that they'll call me back. Also, I was also asked if I was interested in working as driver assistant, didn't want to so I declined. Does not getting a 2nd interview mean you didn't get the job?

Not necessarily. I am getting info from a lot of people asking the same question, "Why didn't I get a second interview?" Unfortunatley I have no answer for you because obviously I wasn't there. Let me just say that when you go to an interview get as much as info as you can from the interviewer such as:
1-How old do i have to be to be a package handler/driver helper?
2-What does a package handler do/what does a driver helper do?
At the end of the interview, ask this question:
"What do I have to do to get this job?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Art Tist in Bothell, Washington

95 months ago

30 year upser said: Not necessarily. I am getting info from a lot of people asking the same question, "Why didn't I get a second interview?" Unfortunatley I have no answer for you because obviously I wasn't there. Let me just say that when you go to an interview get as much as info as you can from the interviewer such as:
1-How old do i have to be to be a package handler/driver helper?
2-What does a package handler do/what does a driver helper do?
At the end of the interview, ask this question:
"What do I have to do to get this job?"

30yr upser wish you post this a little bit sooner lol. I have a question how long does it usually take for a background check to be done? and how long should I wait until I make a call about my status

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania

95 months ago

Gregormeister in Santa Cruz, California said: I am 17 years old and very confused with how old you have to be to work at UPS, the web site it says 17 years old for a package handler and 18 for a driver helper, and I went on the tour and when I got the 1 on 1 with the HR they told me that I was not old enough to work as a package handler, but they said I could be a driver helper? What is up with the age thing?

Greg how mwny times do I have to tell ya bud....they don't know jack. UPS is a company run by the union with micro managers all following "the status quo". Nothing more. Look around on this site maybe you will get more answers-
www.unitedpackagesmashers.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

Jesse J in Moscow, Pennsylvania said: Greg how mwny times do I have to tell ya bud....they don't know jack. UPS is a company run by the union with micro managers all following "the status quo". Nothing more. Look around on this site maybe you will get more answers-
www.unitedpackagesmashers.com/

striaght up, they are not very on top of their stuff, it is pretty sad, because they are such a big prestige company that you think they would all have the same restrictions and regulations

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

95 months ago

Art Tist in Bothell, Washington said: 30yr upser wish you post this a little bit sooner lol. I have a question how long does it usually take for a background check to be done? and how long should I wait until I make a call about my status[/QUOT

A background check used to be that a person would go to their local police station and have the background (criminal) check done to see if you have a ciminal record. It cost a couple of buck and you get the report right away. You then simply give that report to the HR person. Now, UPS may do a background check based on your work history to see what kind of worker you were. That may take anwhere from 1 day to a week, based on all the apps that they have to process.

NYMetsFan in Las Vegas, Nevada

95 months ago

30 year upser - i read somewhere that UPS rarely gives out 8 hr. shifts, and it's mostly 4hr. shifts, what are the hours of a Driver Helper?

30 year upser

95 months ago

With the exception of full time employees, yes it is rare to get 8 hours shifts. The only way you could come close to it is being a driver helper, especially during the two weeks before Xmas. You may very well be out there 6-8 hours delivering packages because the driver has so many stops during the Xmas season. If any one works inside, if you are hired as a seasonal help, you may get four or more hours but you wont be working eight hours.
During the Xmas season-called peak- there will be a lot of part timers working double shifts. However, since UPS is a union shop all overtime will be based on seniority and you wont qualify.--hope that helps

95 months ago

thanks..also, when you go for your interview to be a Driver Helper do you need to show up with anything, for example, your ID

30 year upser

95 months ago

Bring an ID is a good idea. As I mentioned earlier, dont be afraid to ask questions.

1) What is the pay
2) How long will I be out per day?
3) Do I meet the driver at the building or
at a selected spot?
4) Uniforms?
5) Training?
6) If you are interested in getting called
back after Christmas, ask them What do I
have to do and what are my chances of
getting called back to work inside?

If you ask the above questions and some of your own, it will show that you were prepared and interested in the job. Good Luck

95 months ago

Mordecai - what questions did they ask you in your interview?

95 months ago

30 year upser - About how many Driver Helpers do they hire and do you know if you're assigned with a driver that has routes in the area of your home or could you be placed anywhere?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

hey, can anyone tell me some info on UPSJOBS.COM? specificly what the STATUS bar means in your inquiries. mine says active, what does that actually mean?

30 year upser

95 months ago

NYMetsFan in Las Vegas, Nevada said: 30 year upser - About how many Driver Helpers do they hire and do you know if you're assigned with a driver that has routes in the area of your home or could you be placed anywhere?

Re: How many driver helpers, I don't know exactly. It has to do with how many residential routes center or hub has. It could be any where 5 to 20. There is no set pattern as far as I know regarding where you are placed. I guess you could request a route that is close to your home but I wouldn't count on it.

street in Buffalo, New York

95 months ago

Hey everyone aliright I read through all the post so far and im confused. I applied online for prt time package handler and I keep seeing people on here who say they cant do it cause there 17. Well thats my question im 17 and I just want to do package handling nothing else so should I just cancle my appoinment since there probably gonna give me the driver helper offer? I would also like to know aobut what to epexct at the job interview cause this is my first interview and im not good at filling medical papers?

30 year upser

95 months ago

I have been working at UPS for 30 years. I don't understand what the big deal is with not hiring 17 year olds but they will hire 17-year olds to be driver helpers which I think is a more physicaly demanding job than being a package handler.
During the interview that is one of the questions I would ask the interviewer: Why is there an age minimum of 18 to be a package handler.
The only think I can think of is it may be a law in some states.
Other questions you could ask is (assuming you get the package handler job)
--Will I be a seasonal helper or a permanent employer.
--Will and when will I get benefits
--What will my pay be?

You mentioned that you didn't want to be a driver helper. Ask the same questions as above. If you were a driver helper and ssuming you still want to be a package handler this will be good experience.

BTW-- As far as I filling out medical papers, I have never heard of that, so I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.

95 months ago

I'm surprised to hear being a Driver Helper is more physically demanding than a Package Handler, what makes it more physically demanding to you? is it the constant running around from house to house & store to store?

30 year upser

95 months ago

not only that but just jumping in and out of that brown truck takes its toll on your legs. Believe me the first couple of days you will be dog tired from all the running.
Loading and loading is hard job too but it's due to lifting of boxes, especially when unloading from underneath the flaps of the truck where the packages are.

95 months ago

Yeah, I have a interview Wed. for Driver Helper but I'm going to try either tomorrow or Tuesday to get an interview on the spot for a store that is hiring since UPS may not start till after Thanksgiving..but if I end up just doing UPS I'm ready for a nice workout while I'm working haha

Jake_EE in Ohio

95 months ago

Sounds more physically demanding than, say, pro baseball?! What a big pay differential!

95 months ago

Well I did not get the job after all, I am going to re-apply when I am 18 next year, and have the job while going to college, I now have a job at Toys R Us assembling bikes. yea yea foooool

THANKS 30 YEAR UPSER YOU ARE A BIG HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

95 months ago

30 year upser - i have a interview tomorrow for driver helper, any last minute info you can give me and what to expect

30 year upser

95 months ago

Ask the interviewer how the driver helper gig works. I know I mentioned here several times but ask her anyway.
Ask him/her what the pay is, what are your chances of getting on at ups after Xmas. How long will you be out there, hours wise and how long or how many weeks will you be out there on the road with the driver.
If you get the job, you will be fitted with a uniform.
One thing to remember. Unless it is set up differently in your area, you will meet the driver at a certain rendevous point. YOu will leave your car there (make sure you lock it up or even better, have someone drop you off) Then the driver will drop you off at the same place at the end of the day.
Make sure you are at the rendevous point in plenty of time. Your driver is on a time schedule and he cant afford to wait for you. Eat a good meal before you start but dont stuff yourself. Also wear good work shoes because you will do a lot of walking at a brisk pace and you dont want to wind up with blisters on your feet. That's about it. Good luck.

Mordecai in California

94 months ago

I had a tour/interview about two weeks ago and I still havn't gotten called back. I'm assuming I didn't get the job but is there anything that I can do still? I've been trying to find out the number for the HR but still couldn't find it.

30 year upser

94 months ago

Mordecai in California said: I had a tour/interview about two weeks ago and I still havn't gotten called back. I'm assuming I didn't get the job but is there anything that I can do still? I've been trying to find out the number for the HR but still couldn't find it.

There is a possiblity you may get called for the Xmas rush. that should start the 1st or second week of December. Did your interviewer give any indication of what your status is. Also, ther is a possibilty that they are sifting through all of the applications and will pick the best people.
I would go to the HR directly, though I am night sure if they would help.
--Good luck

Bluzedude in San Marcos, California

94 months ago

30 year upser, how long does it take to go from part-time package handler to full-time on average?

What is the soonest you have seen?

I ask because the only reason I'm considering UPS as a pt ph is for the opportunity to go full-time.

My background is management and sales. I come from the real estate industry (which has slowed to a crawl these past couple years) making a 6 figure salary (w/ exception of last 2 years). I've excelled in every place of employment I've had. After several years in the real estate industry, I feel it's time for a more "traditional" job again. I'm hoping that my work ethic and drive will get me noticed and moved up in my career track quickly with UPS. However, I am concerned that instead of 6 months or so, it may take years. Time isn't exactly on my side here with a family of 4 and being the primary bread winner.

btw, thanks for taking the time out to answer so many questions here. This thread would have died a long time ago if you had not been active in it. ;) I've learned more about UPS in this thread than I have any where else.

30 year upser

94 months ago

Bluzedude--thanks for the nice words. Depending on where you work, it may take anywhere from 4-8 years or more to be a package car driver. I know that is not what you wanted to hear, however once you get the package handler job, wait a couple of months and then apply for a part time supervisor job. With your back ground in mgmt and sales, you shouldn't have any trouble first getting the supervisor job and then moving up the ranks. Full time supervisors and managers make decent wages but you do work long hours.
There is also a possiblity you could apply directly for a fulltime delivery driver instead of a package car handler job. Unfortunatly I can't gurantee you would get that job despite your work ethic. UPS has what is called a 6-1 policy. Simply put, they promote 6 partimers to 1 outside person to be a driver.
BTW--When you apply to work at ups, especially for a package handler job, try not to tell them your past wages if possible because that might scare them off because they think you will only work for UPS until something better comes up.
Finally, assuming you still want to work for UPS, it is important to get the job before Aug 1 2008. After that, partimers will not get insurance for the first year of employment and will wait another 6 months before they are covered.
Hope this all helps. Let me know if you need more info.

money in oshkosh, Wisconsin

94 months ago

Hey i just wanted to ask a few questions. I'm a short person like 5'4 and medium build. Im thinking they wouldnt hire me beacuse im a much smaller person and this job demands lifting heavy boxes. I mean I can easily lift 70lbs but beacuse im a smaller person they would think i cant. And another question is there any drug test or physical exam test you have to take.. thanks

da 6vil6len6 in Jacksonville, Florida

94 months ago

UPS hires all shapes and sizes of people.. I have a 110 lb. girl on my PD. They do not drug test for loading/unloading jobs. they only drug t est drivers or people who deal with the dangerous equipment. No physical exams. and its not like you are going to have to lift 70 pound boxes all day, its actually more like 1-40 lbs with a few 40-60 along the way.. usually at the end of your shift the heavy packages are brought in and everybody will help each other to get them loaded as they can exceed 130 lbs. -Chase

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mordecai in California

93 months ago

Hey 30 year upser, quick question.

How long should I wait till i can Apply for package handler again. It's been about 3 months from when i first applied.

30 year upser

93 months ago

I would wait till mid January, early February. Reason being that after the Xmas rush all sesonal helpers are temporarily released because of low volume. Also, regular lowest seniority people also laid off. When volume picks up, the seniority people will be called back to work first.
If you applied once before, it would be useless to apply again. I believe they hold your application for 1 year. What you could do is stop in at HR if possible, or call to see what your status is. Tell them that you are still interested in working for UPS. If you stop by HR and you talk to the hiring person, see if you can get their business card. This way you will have their direct phone number. However, don't be a pest by calling them everyday. I would say every two week. The fact that you are calling them regularly, shows the HR person that you really ARE interested in working for UPS.

Good luck

30 year upser

93 months ago

Happy holidays to everyone.

The last couple of months, you guys and gals have written me about being a driver helper. I would be interested if anyone actually were called to be helpers. Tell us what you thought and what your experience was in doing this particular job.

Also if you obtained a job as a package handler during the holiday rush, tell us what your thoughts are in doing this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 year upser

93 months ago

Ty, go over all the people icluding myself on how to go about getting a job at UPS. I do know you have to apply on line. I believe you have to be 18 years old.

One other thing, even if you apply now, you probably wont get called till mid February because there is not as many packages being processed now that the Xmas rush is over. Regular workers are laid off and they will be called back first.

joker7041 in Honolulu, Hawaii

93 months ago

Hello, My name is Dennis and I am happy I have found a UPS community so to speak online.....maybe you all could help me. You see, I worked for UPS for a couple years part time back in 2000-2001. In October 2001 I enlisted in the Marine Corps...I got out a couple years ago but have been moving around with my wife who is still in the Marines for another year. My question is if I go to a UPS and apply for a job and they have an opening will I still have to go through the whole interview and tour...etc...etc. Or can I just get back to work? I don't have my union card anymore....misplaced over the years. Sorry for the long post...I appreciate any help or direction anyone can give me. Thanks!

30 year upser

93 months ago

Dennis, all you can do is try. I will say, that they used to have a no-rehire policy a while back. However, UPS as a whole is desparate for people and the fact you used to work there will help.
I wouuldn't be to concerned about losing your union card. Let me ask you: When you quit UPS the first time did you get a withdrawl card from the union? (Is that the card you were referring to?) If you didn't, unfortunately, when you get a teamster job, whether it be at UPS or any other union shop, you will have to pay back union dues that weren't paid when you left. In other words, if you had gotten a withdrawl card, you wouldn't have to make the payments from the time you left. Makes sense?
I am assuming that if you get a job at UPS, you will have to go through a tour but I would think it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
When you interview, tell them of your history of you working at UPS before. Also the fact that you are a veteran will help too. Good Luck

longtimecomin in Louisville, Kentucky

93 months ago

hey 30yr, i was told at the interview you much be a graduate or else youll have a pending appication until you graduate,YET my buddys in high school worked there a couple years ago.. Was I told some bullsh*t or will they actually give me a jingle?

30 year upser

93 months ago

longtimecomin in Louisville, Kentucky said: hey 30yr, i was told at the interview you much be a graduate or else youll have a pending appication until you graduate,YET my buddys in high school worked there a couple years ago.. Was I told some bullsh*t or will they actually give me a jingle?

I do know that they used to hire highschool students in the past. They may have stopped doing it for whatever reason. I would go back to HR and tell that interviewer what you told me and see what happens.---Good Luck

beauhase in Scarborough, Maine

93 months ago

I figured I would drop a few lines about UPS. I took the holiday job and rode on a truck with another guy for the whole time. It was good, hard work, but enjoyable. Because of the lack of jobs in Maine I have had to fall back on a part time position with UPS as a PRE LOADER.

First off, being in the Portland, Maine area we have to handle all of the L.L. Bean returns. By Part-time, they actually should have said Full time, because I have been getting almost 8 hours everyday.

A normal day as a preloader consists of unloading/loading trailers onto a conveyor belt, sorting packages/bags, scanning packages, and all sorts of other small jobs. To tell you the truth, I'm 26 and have a degree and for a temporary job, UPS has helped me out a great deal. After 200 hours you receive the full health benefits which are very good. The people at the South Portland hub are all very nice and easy to get along with, which can make a job as repetitious as this... fun. $9.50/an hour by the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

pookiu brown in Buffalo, New York

92 months ago

i have worked with UPS as a seasonal worker, i have applied in JANUARY for a permanent position for UPS, for 3 days my application said that it was PENDING, and finally it said ACTIVE, i have filled out the remainder of the application, and when i want to schedule an appointment it says no appointments available, what does this mean? and how long do i have to wait till i get the job?

pookiu brown in east aurora, New York

92 months ago

pookiu brown in Buffalo, New York said: i have worked with UPS as a seasonal worker, i have applied in JANUARY for a permanent position for UPS, for 3 days my application said that it was PENDING, and finally it said ACTIVE, i have filled out the remainder of the application, and when i want to schedule an appointment it says no appointments available, what does this mean? and how long do i have to wait till i get the job?[/QUOTE

did anyone went through this process

pv v in California

92 months ago

hey 30yr, my sister who works at ups said she can get me a job as a package handler and have someone call me for an interview tomorrow. but after reading one of your post saying ups recently laid off some workers due to low volume and theyll be first to be call back if theres opening. will there be a chance ill still be hire cause i was referred by someone in ups? is it worth my time going to the interview? cause after reading some posts saying they got interview 3-4 times and still didnt get hire and that was during the busy season.

if yes then what other questions will they ask u in the interview besides: why should we hire?why do you want to work for ups?what shifts can you work?

one more question do package handler have to wear uniforms or dress a certain way?

thank you

30 year upser

92 months ago

The fact that you have a sister working there will give you the edge. They may even ask you what your sister told you about UPS or how she feels working there. So be ready for that.Yes it is true they did lay people off however they should be calling people back by now. Go for the interview. I have no idea how many interviews you will be going through. I dont understand that all. You would think that they would be able to tell from one interview whether they want you or not.
They will ask you if yo can lift 70 pounds. (say yes) when you get the job and when you have to lift heavey packages, ask for help. If they ask you why you want to work there, tell them you fell it is a good work-out, that you like to work hard etc. They will also ask you if you have reliable transportation to work.
No, you dont have to wear uniforms. At the interview, wear nice clothes; not tattered or torn. You can wear shorts both to the interview and when you actually work there. Good Luck.

eric635 in New York, New York

92 months ago

i filled out an application online for the 43rd st and 12th ave UPS place but i haven't heard nothing from them for a few weeks. i don't even know if they will ever have appointments available, which frustrates the crap out of me. Anyways all who have waited a long time hang in there, I TOO HAVE TO WAIT but im also going to hang in there as well i guess. I just wish it was soon or maybe never, i don't know =(

Alex Gunn in Cleveland, Ohio

91 months ago

I filled out an app online and got an interview scheduled online immediatly. It depends on if where you are applying actually has opening's posted I guess. Fortunately for me, they is a hub and airport here in Cleveland. I suspect with this type of job if you can walk and talk at the same time, you're hired.

Scott_Ent1 in Chicago, Illinois

91 months ago

I Am going to a interview in a few days, and was wondering. Are they going to ask me if I have ever been arrested before they check? I was arrested for Marijuana possession when I was only 17 and I'm 23 now. If I tell them that are they going to drug test me or just not hire me?? Someone also told me though, If I was only 17 it should have gotten wiped off my record when I turned 18 but I don't know.
Anyone??

thanks in advance...

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.