UPS News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does UPS stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Brown77 in Winter Park, Florida

90 months ago

It has survived and thrived for 100 years. How many other companies can say that? UPS is a unionized company...there are no layoffs. UPS is a "global" company...of course we are expandable. The competition? Besided FEDEX, what competition?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Louise in San Bruno, California

90 months ago

Brown77 said: It has survived and thrived for 100 years. How many other companies can say that? UPS is a unionized company...there are no layoffs. UPS is a "global" company...of course we are expandable. The competition? Besided FEDEX, what competition?

The brokerage dept is not union. There are lay-offs.
As an earlier post stated working for UPS is like being in a sweatshop. You are better to go apply with DHL or FED EX as far as the import dept is concerned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Louise in San Bruno, California

90 months ago

The brokerage dept is not union. There are lay-offs.
As an earlier post stated working for UPS is like being in a sweatshop. You are better to go apply with DHL or FED EX as far as the import dept is concerned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Herman in Salem, New Hampshire

76 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does UPS stack up against the competition?

They will grow and prosper until the end of time as we know it.Through Depressions and Recessions and global warming you name it.BROWN is here to stay. Knowone is a match.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brown143

66 months ago

Brown77 in Winter Park, Florida said: It has survived and thrived for 100 years. How many other companies can say that? UPS is a unionized company...there are no layoffs. UPS is a "global" company...of course we are expandable. The competition? Besided FEDEX, what competition?

Unfortunately, a part of UPS is non-union. I have worked in customer service for 20 years. We are in another round of layoffs this week in our office. 10 years ago, we had 75 people in the building I work in. Now, we are down to 16. UPS is a great company, but we are not untouchable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kim bolanos in Las Cruces, New Mexico

64 months ago

Brown77 in Winter Park, Florida said: It has survived and thrived for 100 years. How many other companies can say that? UPS is a unionized company...there are no layoffs. UPS is a "global" company...of course we are expandable. The competition? Besided FEDEX, what competition?

Since when are there no layoffs at UPS? They laid off plenty of times in the 11 years I worked for them. No layoffs? Really? After Xmas, they laid off every single Xmas helper. All of them. Every year. And they laid off other drivers at other times over those 11 years.

I admit it's been a long time since I worked there. Did the union bargain for some kind of no-layoff clause in a new contract? I cannot believe UPS would agree to that, or that ANY company would agree to that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

clowng in Wisconsin

55 months ago

UPS was all of those things. Since the Accountants took over the company in 1999, it's been totally different. Read the paper? Lay offs pending, yet profits are forcasted to be up for the 4th quarter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.