UPS Package Handler

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Rocks_R_Cool in Carlisle, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Anyone with experience with UPS Hazmat and Supervisor positions:

Hello, I was just hired for the pre-loader shift and I start begining of next week. While I was being interviewed, my interviewer asked if I would be interested in applying for the P/T Supervisor position they had opening up, as well as a HAzMat position. My question to you is this, what exactly are the salary differences for both of these positions? Would you recomend one over the other? I should mention that I have experience managing others, as well as dealing with HazMat. I plan to stay at UPS for several years while attending college, and hopefully after for a few years longer. I would just like to get someone else's advice on these two positions and if I should further consider either one, or just stay in the pre-loader position? (Also I should mention that I am not that concerned with with the health benifits, my husband has been Active Duty Military for 25 years so far, so we are set on benifits. Any help you can give, or wisdom you can share, would be greatly apreciated. Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tbaucom in Edmond, Oklahoma

35 months ago

I worked as a p/t supervisor for UPS for three years while going to college. They expect more of course for supervisors but in another way it is a little more carefree. The pay for a p/t supervisor started at 13.44 but raises were few and far between. While I worked there I received the highest raise of my cohorts and it was .56 an hour to 14.00. The jobs on the union side and the supervisors side were very different. Everything on the union side was mandated by union contract (rate of pay, etc...) while on the supervisor side results orientated. With that said the hazmat position was not a bad one. However, it is a dirty one. Hazmat people clean up most of the spills and deal with leaking or damaged boxes. Whether or not to take these positions over a preloader position, I would say definitely. They are better paying jobs and easier.

Rocks_R_Cool in Carlisle, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

Thank You tbaucom in Edmond. I am greatful for the advice. I will use the insight you gave me to help in my decision. You are awsome!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.